Reload this Page >

The Home Owner Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Home Owner Thread

Old 05-01-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 304 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

I also guess carpenter bee. I've never seen one digging a hole in person, but there are some around and I hang a carpenter bee trap by my patio cover just to be cautious.

My understanding is that you have to put a stop to it right now.
Old 05-01-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I also guess carpenter bee. I've never seen one digging a hole in person, but there are some around and I hang a carpenter bee trap by my patio cover just to be cautious.

My understanding is that you have to put a stop to it right now.
Yeah much like termites you want to get on it as soon as possible. They are obviously in the area. Might call a professional before it spreads because it will spread fast.
Old 05-03-21, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Are Home Warranties worth it?

I'm a little over my first year as a Home Owner and had one within the initial purchase of the house.

Found that I never used it and either covered (mostly) appliances or things my house doesn't have.

Only thing I could see it potentially helping is severe issues with Plumbing or Water Heater.
Old 05-03-21, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Are Home Warranties worth it?

I'm a little over my first year as a Home Owner and had one within the initial purchase of the house.

Found that I never used it and either covered (mostly) appliances or things my house doesn't have.

Only thing I could see it potentially helping is severe issues with Plumbing or Water Heater.
I had a plumbing issue that was covered by insurance, so a warranty may be redundant.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 04:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Re: Home Warranties

From our experience, any time you have a claim, they'll find a reason not to cover it. It happened to us, it's happened to others. YMMV.
Old 05-04-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I bought my house, it came with a 1-year warranty. I had the roofing guy come three times to patch leaks (it's a flat roof). He didn't fix the underlying problem. He seemed to be an honest guy, but he performed a minimum level of service. I didn't renew the warranty.
Old 05-04-21, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

"they'll find a reason not to cover it"

Insurance companies can be such crooks.
Old 05-04-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 303 Likes on 217 Posts

I had a good experience with a home warranty company. Our pool pump went out. They covered replacement of it and I ended up paying more to get a variable speed pump. We also had one of our 2 AC units go out because it had a crack in the coils. 20+ year old unit. They paid me cash in lieu of repair so we could replace it.

They were probably thankful as hell we didn't renew with them
Giantrobo (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts

If your appliances are new or aren't covered by the HW maybe you don't need to renew? My Fridge, Washer and Dryer*, and Dishwasher are all old in this new home. And the WH that got replaced was old so it worked out having one. I do think our furnace is "newer" so it may be ok for a while.

I will say I was glad I had a Home Warranty when my Water Heater(earlier in this thread) started leaking a few weeks ago. They covered the cost of the new unit(they get better deals on stuff since they buy all year) even though I had to pay for the "tweaks" needed for the new unit install. Even then, when I spoke to folks who recently had WH's replaced I spent less than them and in some cases got more than what they paid for. The exception being someone who paid for one and installed it himself. But since I'd rather pay and have a warranty behind the work that wasn't an option for me. Anyway, I'm up for renewal and I'm thinking about re-upping. I may or may not...

*This old Dryer of ours stopped working just yesterday(Tues), HW folks are sending someone out Wed to hopefully fix it. As mentioned Washer and Dryer are old so I expect the Washer to act up sooner or later as well. They both belonged to my Sister In Law who bought them in the 1990's. They spent a few years in storage when she gave them to us; and just started getting used again last year when we got our home and set them up.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-04-21 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-04-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
"they'll find a reason not to cover it"

Insurance companies can be such crooks.
And you're just now learning this axiomatic fact? Insurance companies are exploiters and the dregs of all companies, who literally prey off people when they're down and need help (financial, that is).

And the correct answer is NO, home warranties are not worth it, and you'll just be throwing your money away and 99% need to fork out for the repairs yourself anyway. Unfortunately, homeowner's insurance is "required" like Med insurance, but it doesn't cover any small things that 99% of your problems will be, and deductibles are so high that insurance only *might* be useful in a catastrophe if you fight them tooth and nail then you MIGHT recover something...
Old 05-04-21, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 303 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
And you're just now learning this axiomatic fact? Insurance companies are exploiters and the dregs of all companies, who literally prey off people when they're down and need help (financial, that is).

And the correct answer is NO, home warranties are not worth it, and you'll just be throwing your money away and 99% need to fork out for the repairs yourself anyway. Unfortunately, homeowner's insurance is "required" like Med insurance, but it doesn't cover any small things that 99% of your problems will be, and deductibles are so high that insurance only *might* be useful in a catastrophe if you fight them tooth and nail then you MIGHT recover something...
is there anything in life you don't hate or have some issue with?
Old 05-04-21, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone!

The initial warranty was included with the purchase of my home but I won't be renewing it this year.
Old 05-05-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
is there anything in life you don't hate or have some issue with?
Being a curmudgeon?
Old 05-05-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts

My new mantra: "COVID turned me into a curmudeon!"
Old 05-06-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
My new mantra: "COVID turned me into a curmudeon!"
Notice that he doesn't specify COVID-19. I'm betting we're talking about a far lower number than 19.
emanon (05-06-21)
Old 05-06-21, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Notice that he doesn't specify COVID-19. I'm betting we're talking about a far lower number than 19.

As Ted Nugent said... Covids 1-18.
clckworang (05-06-21)
Old 05-06-21, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
If your appliances are new or aren't covered by the HW maybe you don't need to renew? My Fridge, Washer and Dryer*, and Dishwasher are all old in this new home. And the WH that got replaced was old so it worked out having one. I do think our furnace is "newer" so it may be ok for a while.

I will say I was glad I had a Home Warranty when my Water Heater(earlier in this thread) started leaking a few weeks ago. They covered the cost of the new unit(they get better deals on stuff since they buy all year) even though I had to pay for the "tweaks" needed for the new unit install. Even then, when I spoke to folks who recently had WH's replaced I spent less than them and in some cases got more than what they paid for. The exception being someone who paid for one and installed it himself. But since I'd rather pay and have a warranty behind the work that wasn't an option for me. Anyway, I'm up for renewal and I'm thinking about re-upping. I may or may not...

*This old Dryer of ours stopped working just yesterday(Tues), HW folks are sending someone out Wed to hopefully fix it. As mentioned Washer and Dryer are old so I expect the Washer to act up sooner or later as well. They both belonged to my Sister In Law who bought them in the 1990's. They spent a few years in storage when she gave them to us; and just started getting used again last year when we got our home and set them up.

Update. The coil was failing. He had the part so he swapped it out and it works. Yay! It's the little things in life...