Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Home Owner Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Home Owner Thread

Old 05-01-21, 06:08 PM
  #1301  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 25,634
Received 304 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

I also guess carpenter bee. I've never seen one digging a hole in person, but there are some around and I hang a carpenter bee trap by my patio cover just to be cautious.

My understanding is that you have to put a stop to it right now.
Old 05-01-21, 09:05 PM
  #1302  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,067
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I also guess carpenter bee. I've never seen one digging a hole in person, but there are some around and I hang a carpenter bee trap by my patio cover just to be cautious.

My understanding is that you have to put a stop to it right now.
Yeah much like termites you want to get on it as soon as possible. They are obviously in the area. Might call a professional before it spreads because it will spread fast.
Old 05-03-21, 11:09 PM
  #1303  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,107
Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Are Home Warranties worth it?

I'm a little over my first year as a Home Owner and had one within the initial purchase of the house.

Found that I never used it and either covered (mostly) appliances or things my house doesn't have.

Only thing I could see it potentially helping is severe issues with Plumbing or Water Heater.
Old 05-03-21, 11:38 PM
  #1304  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,125
Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Are Home Warranties worth it?

I'm a little over my first year as a Home Owner and had one within the initial purchase of the house.

Found that I never used it and either covered (mostly) appliances or things my house doesn't have.

Only thing I could see it potentially helping is severe issues with Plumbing or Water Heater.
I had a plumbing issue that was covered by insurance, so a warranty may be redundant.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 04:54 AM
  #1305  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,628
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Re: Home Warranties

From our experience, any time you have a claim, they'll find a reason not to cover it. It happened to us, it's happened to others. YMMV.
Old 05-04-21, 08:49 AM
  #1306  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 25,634
Received 304 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

When I bought my house, it came with a 1-year warranty. I had the roofing guy come three times to patch leaks (it's a flat roof). He didn't fix the underlying problem. He seemed to be an honest guy, but he performed a minimum level of service. I didn't renew the warranty.
Old 05-04-21, 01:43 PM
  #1307  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,797
Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

"they'll find a reason not to cover it"

Insurance companies can be such crooks.
Old 05-04-21, 02:03 PM
  #1308  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 76,727
Received 303 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

I had a good experience with a home warranty company. Our pool pump went out. They covered replacement of it and I ended up paying more to get a variable speed pump. We also had one of our 2 AC units go out because it had a crack in the coils. 20+ year old unit. They paid me cash in lieu of repair so we could replace it.

They were probably thankful as hell we didn't renew with them
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 03:15 PM
  #1309  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 59,268
Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

If your appliances are new or aren't covered by the HW maybe you don't need to renew? My Fridge, Washer and Dryer*, and Dishwasher are all old in this new home. And the WH that got replaced was old so it worked out having one. I do think our furnace is "newer" so it may be ok for a while.

I will say I was glad I had a Home Warranty when my Water Heater(earlier in this thread) started leaking a few weeks ago. They covered the cost of the new unit(they get better deals on stuff since they buy all year) even though I had to pay for the "tweaks" needed for the new unit install. Even then, when I spoke to folks who recently had WH's replaced I spent less than them and in some cases got more than what they paid for. The exception being someone who paid for one and installed it himself. But since I'd rather pay and have a warranty behind the work that wasn't an option for me. Anyway, I'm up for renewal and I'm thinking about re-upping. I may or may not...


*This old Dryer of ours stopped working just yesterday(Tues), HW folks are sending someone out Wed to hopefully fix it. As mentioned Washer and Dryer are old so I expect the Washer to act up sooner or later as well. They both belonged to my Sister In Law who bought them in the 1990's. They spent a few years in storage when she gave them to us; and just started getting used again last year when we got our home and set them up.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-04-21 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-04-21, 08:40 PM
  #1310  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,144
Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
"they'll find a reason not to cover it"

Insurance companies can be such crooks.
And you're just now learning this axiomatic fact? Insurance companies are exploiters and the dregs of all companies, who literally prey off people when they're down and need help (financial, that is).

And the correct answer is NO, home warranties are not worth it, and you'll just be throwing your money away and 99% need to fork out for the repairs yourself anyway. Unfortunately, homeowner's insurance is "required" like Med insurance, but it doesn't cover any small things that 99% of your problems will be, and deductibles are so high that insurance only *might* be useful in a catastrophe if you fight them tooth and nail then you MIGHT recover something...
Old 05-04-21, 09:10 PM
  #1311  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 76,727
Received 303 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
And you're just now learning this axiomatic fact? Insurance companies are exploiters and the dregs of all companies, who literally prey off people when they're down and need help (financial, that is).

And the correct answer is NO, home warranties are not worth it, and you'll just be throwing your money away and 99% need to fork out for the repairs yourself anyway. Unfortunately, homeowner's insurance is "required" like Med insurance, but it doesn't cover any small things that 99% of your problems will be, and deductibles are so high that insurance only *might* be useful in a catastrophe if you fight them tooth and nail then you MIGHT recover something...
is there anything in life you don't hate or have some issue with?
Old 05-04-21, 10:15 PM
  #1312  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,107
Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Thanks for the responses everyone!

The initial warranty was included with the purchase of my home but I won't be renewing it this year.
Old 05-05-21, 09:05 AM
  #1313  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 25,634
Received 304 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
is there anything in life you don't hate or have some issue with?
Being a curmudgeon?
Old 05-05-21, 09:18 PM
  #1314  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,144
Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

My new mantra: "COVID turned me into a curmudeon!"
Old 05-06-21, 12:02 PM
  #1315  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 8,008
Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
My new mantra: "COVID turned me into a curmudeon!"
Notice that he doesn't specify COVID-19. I'm betting we're talking about a far lower number than 19.
The following users liked this post:
emanon (05-06-21)
Old 05-06-21, 03:02 PM
  #1316  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 59,268
Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Notice that he doesn't specify COVID-19. I'm betting we're talking about a far lower number than 19.

As Ted Nugent said... Covids 1-18.
The following users liked this post:
clckworang (05-06-21)
Old 05-06-21, 03:06 PM
  #1317  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 59,268
Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
If your appliances are new or aren't covered by the HW maybe you don't need to renew? My Fridge, Washer and Dryer*, and Dishwasher are all old in this new home. And the WH that got replaced was old so it worked out having one. I do think our furnace is "newer" so it may be ok for a while.

I will say I was glad I had a Home Warranty when my Water Heater(earlier in this thread) started leaking a few weeks ago. They covered the cost of the new unit(they get better deals on stuff since they buy all year) even though I had to pay for the "tweaks" needed for the new unit install. Even then, when I spoke to folks who recently had WH's replaced I spent less than them and in some cases got more than what they paid for. The exception being someone who paid for one and installed it himself. But since I'd rather pay and have a warranty behind the work that wasn't an option for me. Anyway, I'm up for renewal and I'm thinking about re-upping. I may or may not...


*This old Dryer of ours stopped working just yesterday(Tues), HW folks are sending someone out Wed to hopefully fix it. As mentioned Washer and Dryer are old so I expect the Washer to act up sooner or later as well. They both belonged to my Sister In Law who bought them in the 1990's. They spent a few years in storage when she gave them to us; and just started getting used again last year when we got our home and set them up.

Update. The coil was failing. He had the part so he swapped it out and it works. Yay! It's the little things in life...

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.