Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Home Owner Thread

Old 10-20-16, 12:29 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 6,874
Re: The Home Owner Thread

no pizza box = no sale
DaveNinja is offline  
Old 10-20-16, 01:33 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,200
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
no pizza box = no sale
Preach it.
AGuyNamedMike is offline  
Old 10-20-16, 03:56 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,922
Re: The Home Owner Thread

unfortunately, I am about to remodel our kitchen and we're going with a counter depth fridge. I am sad about the pizza boxes.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 11-05-16, 07:12 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,977
Re: The Home Owner Thread

I am one of the least "handy" people in the world and today I removed my old garbage disposal and installed a new one. I'm quite proud of myself.
The Questyen is offline  
Old 11-06-16, 04:22 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,499
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I am one of the least "handy" people in the world and today I removed my old garbage disposal and installed a new one. I'm quite proud of myself.
Glad to hear the job is do-able for those not-very-handy folks. I need to replace mine, and don't want to pay a plumber $300 per hour or a handyman $100+ per hour to do it.

How long did it take you? Was it tricky, or straightforward? When and if I do decide to tackle this project myself, are there any tips you'd be kind enough to offer? Probably there's not *much* chance of me screwing things up beyond repair, but I'd want to be sure before starting!
zyzzle is offline  
Old 11-06-16, 06:05 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,977
Re: The Home Owner Thread

It took me about an hour and a half it was pretty straightforward other then a couple things that weren't explained very well in the manual so I just looked up a youtube video and that explained it better. To be honest the most annoying part about it was just the awkward angle you had to contort to get under the sink and work on it.

There really didn't seem to be anything that you could screw up beyond repair. I had to go down to Lowes because when I unhooked the old one the plastic pipe that goes from the sink to the disposal had worn off the lip at the end so it would leak. I just had to get another piece of 8 inch pipe to replace it with and everything was fine.
The Questyen is offline  
Old 11-06-16, 07:28 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,167
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Congrats Questyen!

I did a garbage disposal once and it was a piece of cake. My biggest tip: make sure the electricity is OFF. Other than that, just make sure the new one is the same size as the old one. This helps with replacing anything!

Edited to echo: yeah, I forgot about the awkwardness of working upside down in a terribly tiny and restrictive space. I hate working under sinks. Being old and fat doesn't help.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-06-16 at 07:52 PM.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 11-06-16, 07:32 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,712
Re: The Home Owner Thread

if you are also replacing the flange on the garbage disposal, it can be slightly tricky in that you need to use plumber's putty under neath it and get a good seal. outside of that, the hardest part of the replacement is the lack of space underneath the cabinet.
Deftones is offline  
Old 11-06-16, 09:50 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 7,014
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Gonna try to replace an outlet with an USB outlet tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Quack is offline  
Old 11-06-16, 10:07 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,385
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Make sure to kill the power/fuse before messing with it.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 11-06-16, 11:58 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,209
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Today I installed a security light on the outside of my house. There was already one there, so replacement was a piece of cake -- simply pulled off the old one and wired up the new one. Just tested it out in the dark and it worked fine so I'll probably caulk it tomorrow.

In a week or two I'm going to try to put a 3-way switch in my bedroom. There's already a switch on one side, but I tend to enter from the side that has no switch. I know how to do a regular switch, but I've looked up some videos on how to turn it into a 3-way and it seems rather confusing. Going to try it anyway. If I stop posting suddenly then I probably electrocuted myself.
Living Dead is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 12:37 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,284
Re: The Home Owner Thread

My stupid roof is leaking again. Never buy a house with a flat roof.

I went up onto the roof twice today and swept off the standing water left from last night's rain. In a couple of days it should be dry, and I'll try to find and patch the leak.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 08:12 AM
  #113  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,200
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
In a week or two I'm going to try to put a 3-way switch in my bedroom. There's already a switch on one side, but I tend to enter from the side that has no switch. I know how to do a regular switch, but I've looked up some videos on how to turn it into a 3-way and it seems rather confusing. Going to try it anyway. If I stop posting suddenly then I probably electrocuted myself.
If you die, come back and make one last post so we have closure.
Psi is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 08:16 AM
  #114  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,200
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My stupid roof is leaking again. Never buy a house with a flat roof.

I went up onto the roof twice today and swept off the standing water left from last night's rain. In a couple of days it should be dry, and I'll try to find and patch the leak.
Is that tar-and-gravel? I hate those roofs, but they are cheap to install. It's really hard to find the source of the leak though, so make sure you test it thoroughly when it's not raining.
Psi is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 09:31 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,284
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Is that tar-and-gravel? I hate those roofs, but they are cheap to install. It's really hard to find the source of the leak though, so make sure you test it thoroughly when it's not raining.
It's tar and gravel, except for the one square where it's leaking. The roofing company repaired it by putting down a more expensive material at that spot. It started leaking in just 10 months. Tomorrow I'm going up with a putty knife and a can of mastic and I'm going to check the seams.

I'm glad it rained enough this week for me to spot a bit of water in the bedroom. It usually leaks at midnight in January under the snow and ice. We have buckets in the bedroom for days, waiting for the ice to melt so I can do repairs.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 11:37 AM
  #116  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,417
Re: The Home Owner Thread

I decided it would be wise to remodel a bathroom in the basement of my house. Since I'm in the realm of the guys here that are happy to have replaced a garbage disposal successfully, this is a huge undertaking for me. Luckily, one father in law is a retired plumber / ex-contractor, so he's been helping quite a bit. My other father in law is coming this weekend to help me finish up tiling and electrical.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 12:38 PM
  #117  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,200
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
It's tar and gravel, except for the one square where it's leaking. The roofing company repaired it by putting down a more expensive material at that spot. It started leaking in just 10 months. Tomorrow I'm going up with a putty knife and a can of mastic and I'm going to check the seams.
The important thing is to avoid puddling (and freezing of that water in winter). That will cause the material to crack, similar to asphalt on a road. That's why you want to have a continuous slope from the center of the roof toward the edges or drain, and also to have enough gravel to cover adequately.
Psi is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 01:31 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,284
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
The important thing is to avoid puddling (and freezing of that water in winter). That will cause the material to crack, similar to asphalt on a road. That's why you want to have a continuous slope from the center of the roof toward the edges or drain, and also to have enough gravel to cover adequately.
Yeah, that would be nice. Instead, I have bowls on my roof. The last time I talked to a roofing guy about it, he said that it wasn't too bad by Albuquerque standards.

I understand that dead-flat roofs are no longer code. A couple of degrees of slope are required so that when the joists start to sag, the water will continue to drain. But my house is older than that.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 04:32 PM
  #119  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,200
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I understand that dead-flat roofs are no longer code. A couple of degrees of slope are required so that when the joists start to sag, the water will continue to drain. But my house is older than that.
I doubt that your roof is 100% flat. It might have an incline of a few degrees, but that is really hard to tell. That has been standard for a very long time, more than 50 years ago, at least in California.

You should ensure that the roof is adequately covered with gravel to protect it from the sun, especially since you are in Albuquerque.
Psi is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 05:20 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,847
Re: The Home Owner Thread

A flat roof is going to develop leaks no matter how many times you fix it. You're just going to be playing whack-a-mole as long as you're living there.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 06:33 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,284
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I doubt that your roof is 100% flat. It might have an incline of a few degrees, but that is really hard to tell. That has been standard for a very long time, more than 50 years ago, at least in California.

You should ensure that the roof is adequately covered with gravel to protect it from the sun, especially since you are in Albuquerque.
My house is more than 50 years old.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 07:00 PM
  #122  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,200
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My house is more than 50 years old.
It doesn't cost much to put in a small incline, and as you mentioned, a few degrees is all you need. I wonder why they didn't do it. Gravity has been around a long time.
Psi is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 08:17 PM
  #123  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 868
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Gonna try to replace an outlet with an USB outlet tomorrow. Wish me luck!
I've got something like this. It just plugs into a regular outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Core-...ter+usb+outlet
sportsfan64 is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 08:24 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,284
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
It doesn't cost much to put in a small incline, and as you mentioned, a few degrees is all you need. I wonder why they didn't do it. Gravity has been around a long time.
If property developers could be trusted to spend just a little more money to do the right thing, we wouldn't need building codes.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 08:41 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,385
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
I've got something like this. It just plugs into a regular outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Core-...ter+usb+outlet
Bulky. Replacing an outlet with one that has usb ports is much sleeker and unobtrusive.
Michael Corvin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.