Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Home Owner Thread

Old 09-11-19, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The color scheme is a lot better, and that oval mirror was ugly. I don't like sitting below a cabinet, so that's a big improvement. But where's the toilet paper holder?
Toilet paper holder is just out of the shot on the same wall as in the before picture. I just moved it out further from the toilet as I found it too close (the angle in the before picture is deceiving). The new location is still very reachable without having to get up - even for short-armed people. The towel holder is now on the right wall in front of the vanity (you can see a tiny bit of the towel in the after picture).
Both the toilet paper and towel holders were replaced with more modern looking ones.

Last edited by Coral; 09-11-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love that slate gray counter.
Old 09-11-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Haven't posted in here in a long time.

Did a quick and cheap minor reno on my powder room a few months ago. Previous owner loved their dark grey walls with red accent walls - ugh.

Before:

After:
Wow that looks way better and didn't cost too much. Great job!
Old 09-11-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Wow that looks way better and didn't cost too much. Great job!
Thanks. I'm slowly renovating the house (painted most of it, etc). so I went with a bang-for-the-buck approach for the powder room... since it's only a powder room and I'll have more spending to do.
I bought the large framed picture for $10 from a model house just to have something covering that wall. I'll swap out the print with something to my liking at some point - the current picture is a little too old-fashioned for me.
Old 09-12-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, the vanity came with one but in order for the splash guard to be right up against the wall and sit fully on the sink - I would need to cut a slot into the baseboard so I could push the vanity right up against the wall (there's currently a gap of only about a quarter inch at most). I really didn't want to cut out the baseboard because if I changed the vanity down the road, it wouldn't line up with how the baseboard is cut.

It's only a powder room, so the amount of washing that goes on here is minimal - and there hasn't been any water hitting the wall as the faucets are far enough away from the wall. I've monitored it after being used by myself and guests and it's never been an issue. I have the splash guard stored away in case I end up changing my mind.
could you cut notches in the back bottom of the vanity that would allow it to sit against the wall without having to cut the baseboard? Some vanities allow for this cut and others do not (bottom board connects to back too low).
Old 09-12-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The picture is an awful lot like something you see in the bathroom of the dentist's office.
Old 09-12-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
could you cut notches in the back bottom of the vanity that would allow it to sit against the wall without having to cut the baseboard? Some vanities allow for this cut and others do not (bottom board connects to back too low).
Yea, I thought about that - but was uneasy about how clean the cut would be and if I made a mess of it. This would be cutting into the feet and not the back of the vanity.
Like I said, I have no problem leaving it without a splash guard since it's only a powder room and the amount of splash is minimal since it has limited usage. Hasn't been a problem in the roughly 6 months it's been there.
If it were a true bathroom - then I'd definitely do what's needed to install it.
Old 09-12-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, I thought about that - but was uneasy about how clean the cut would be and if I made a mess of it. This would be cutting into the feet and not the back of the vanity.
Like I said, I have no problem leaving it without a splash guard since it's only a powder room and the amount of splash is minimal since it has limited usage. Hasn't been a problem in the roughly 6 months it's been there.
If it were a true bathroom - then I'd definitely do what's needed to install it.
I guess I'm misunderstanding your situation.

In my case, the splash guard was almost an inch thick, so even if there was a gap at the back, it would be covered.

This isn't mine, but the idea is the same:

Old 09-12-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ As far back as my vanity goes, it leaves about a 1/2" gap between the vanity counter and the wall.
When you put the splash guard on, it sits about half on the counter and half sitting mid-air. I would need to cut out the baseboard for the vanity to be pushed back that extra 1/2" so that the counter butts up against the wall and allows the splash guard to fully sit on the counter.

The picture you provided shows the vanity and counter to be right up against the wall - so the splash guard it sitting fully on it. Either the baseboard was removed behind he vanity, or the vanity is designed with the legs not as far back as the rest of the vanity - allowing the vanity to go further back.
Old 09-13-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has any of our Florida otters installed Hurricane shutters?
any opinions on which type, aluminum, clear, impact windows ?
Cost, maintainability ?
Old 09-13-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ As far back as my vanity goes, it leaves about a 1/2" gap between the vanity counter and the wall.
When you put the splash guard on, it sits about half on the counter and half sitting mid-air. I would need to cut out the baseboard for the vanity to be pushed back that extra 1/2" so that the counter butts up against the wall and allows the splash guard to fully sit on the counter.

The picture you provided shows the vanity and counter to be right up against the wall - so the splash guard it sitting fully on it. Either the baseboard was removed behind he vanity, or the vanity is designed with the legs not as far back as the rest of the vanity - allowing the vanity to go further back.
So the splash guard is more than a 1/2" thick? If so, even its just half on the sink while being against the wall, it would work to keep water/dust from falling into the gap. And should look fine
Old 09-13-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
So the splash guard is more than a 1/2" thick? If so, even its just half on the sink while being against the wall, it would work to keep water/dust from falling into the gap. And should look fine
I'd say less than half the thickness of the splash guard sits on the counter... so it's probably like a 65/35 split... 65 on air, 35 on the counter. It looks a little weird and it won't be as secure as I'd like.
To be honest, I prefer the look of it without the splash guard. And since I haven't had any issues without it in 6 months - I'm fine without it. In my mind, I've already moved on to other parts of the house