Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Home Owner Thread

Old 03-30-17, 09:52 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Home Owner Thread

I am confused also. I understand the warning not to use, but LED bulbs generate only about 11w, whereas a regular incandescent bulb generates 60w and more. If the fixture can handle 60w now (x2 for 2 bulbs), why can't it handle 11w? Unless they are concerned about damage to the bulbs, not the fixture or house.

By the way, I suggest you paint that light cover pink. It might look more attractive
Old 03-30-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
^ I have the exact same light fixture - probably commonly used on newly built homes from the builder.

I've noticed LED bulbs that warn that it's not for use in an enclosed light fixture, and other LEDs that make no mention one way or the other. I haven't come across any yet that state that it IS fine for enclosed light fixtures.

I've only replaced bulbs in my lamps (I use the lamps often). Also in the kitchen pot-lights - which are shaped like a cone and are designed to on the outside of the fixture and provides much more light to the room... whereas the previous light bulb would hide in the fixture and basically mostly just shined down into the room instead of out.

Would love to replace more bulbs with LEDs, but I need to find ones that specifically say it's fine to use in an enclosed fixture.
Can an LED be used in an enclosed fixture?

Yes, but only some brands. The issue is the amount of heat that can build up in the enclosed fixture. LED bulbs are very sensitive to heat; if the air in the enclosed fixture becomes too hot, it will shorten the life of the bulb.

If you want to install an A19 LED 60-watt equivalent in an enclosed ceiling fixture (the most common type of residential enclosed fixture), read the packaging carefully. Most say that the bulb cannot be used in this way. The only ones I found that can be are Cree’s A19 LED Soft White and its A19 Soft White TW Series. The fine print on Cree’s packaging, however, warns against mixing bulb technologies in the fixture (using a LED with a CFL or an incandescent) because the other bulb types produce so much heat that they will adversely affect the LED.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.23f7c6f43e39

I have fluorescent bulbs in my fixtures so I'll keep this in mind for replacements down the road.
Old 03-30-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I am confused also. I understand the warning not to use, but LED bulbs generate only about 11w, whereas a regular incandescent bulb generates 60w and more. If the fixture can handle 60w now (x2 for 2 bulbs), why can't it handle 11w? Unless they are concerned about damage to the bulbs, not the fixture or house.

By the way, I suggest you paint that light cover pink. It might look more attractive
The rating for a fixture is based on how much heat an incandescent bulb generates. It's to prevent fires. I have some 50-100-150 lamps, and they put out enough heat to warm the room. Incandescent bulbs are simply a wire filament that glows when electricity runs through it. The light bulb itself can tolerate all kind of heat.

LED bulbs have a circuit board. The warning for LED bulbs is because too much heat can cook the circuit board.
Old 03-30-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the LED bulbs don't generate a lot of heat, but if the heat gets 'trapped' it can damage the bulb and shorten its life.

The LED bulbs I use don't generate a lot of heat. They're barely warm to the touch, but it could be enough to gonk the bulb's electronics under the right circumstances.
Old 03-30-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it simply a matter of it could potentially damage the bulb only? I'm more concerned about damage to the fixture, the electrical or just causing a fire. If the risk is simply that you could fry the bulb or lessen it's life - it's not that big a deal to me. Worth the risk.
Old 03-30-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Is it simply a matter of it could potentially damage the bulb only? I'm more concerned about damage to the fixture, the electrical or just causing a fire. If the risk is simply that you could fry the bulb or lessen it's life - it's not that big a deal to me. Worth the risk.
That's my understanding. If you put a 11W LED bulb in a fixture that is built to hold a 60W incandescent bulb, you aren't going to do any damage to the fixture. It's consuming 20% of the power, and using that a lot more efficiently.
Old 03-31-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I found it! apparently Costco had the only LED that specifically said to work in enclosed fixtures

Doesn't seem like they sell them anymore though :/

Last edited by nando820; 03-31-17 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-08-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

just finished pressure washing off 17 years worth of dirt and mildew from the outside of the house
looks almost brand new
now if I could get the inside clean
Old 04-08-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice. I've been debating getting a nice pressure washer to do the same thing. I priced some at Sam's Club the other day. Was it difficult? I actually have a company coming out Monday to give me a quote to compare with buying my own.

I think I'd get some use out of one just doing the patio a few times a year.
Old 04-09-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Nice. I've been debating getting a nice pressure washer to do the same thing. I priced some at Sam's Club the other day. Was it difficult? I actually have a company coming out Monday to give me a quote to compare with buying my own.

I was wondering the same thing... do pressure washers really do a great job? The house I bought last year could definitely use it.

Now that spring has rolled around, I'm re-landscaping the house. Previous owner had some terrible half-dead holly shrubs out there, so I've dug them up and am replacing them with euonymous, junipers, and azaleas. Basically lazy-man, low maintenance plants.

There was a mound of dirt in front of my house nearly 2 feet high and running the full length of the front of the house. I thought it looked awful and started to dig some of it out a few weeks ago. That's when I discovered that the previous owner apparently covered a limestone rock bed with several feet of dirt and then planted his holly shrubs on top of it, which was why they were growing like shit. Getting rid of all that dirt and rock turned out to be a gargantuan task.
Old 04-09-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

It was easy
Buy a good degreaser/cleaner and it should come right off, I used Purple Power that I got for $5 from Dollar General
I also did my drive way 2 weeks ago, it made a huge difference. The run off from the shingles made the concrete look really old plus years of rain added to the dingy look.
Also did the outside of the outdoor heat pump unit which was also quite nasty. Power was off and let it dry.
2200 PSI
Great for carwashing as well.

Last edited by Bacon; 04-09-17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I was leaving for work this morning, i noticed a stream of water running down my sidewalk from the facet out front. I thought maybe the kids left it on or something but it was turned off. the water was coming from the ground around the pipe. A year or two ago i could have turned off a valve that connected the water line to the spinklers/facet, but the city redid the water supply. Our water used to be connected to the house through pipes in the backyard but the city put in new pipes and connected everything to the front yard. Now i can only turn off the water at the facet/sprinkler by turning off the water to the entire house.
looks like i'll be taking off early today to add a new valve to the sprinkler/facet line. fun fun.
Old 04-10-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
It was easy
Buy a good degreaser/cleaner and it should come right off, I used Purple Power that I got for $5 from Dollar General
I also did my drive way 2 weeks ago, it made a huge difference. The run off from the shingles made the concrete look really old plus years of rain added to the dingy look.
Also did the outside of the outdoor heat pump unit which was also quite nasty. Power was off and let it dry.
2200 PSI
Great for carwashing as well.

Thanks, I'll look for the Purple stuff.

I'd love to do the driveway too, but I have one of those pebble style driveways that I'd have to reseal after washing.

I had some friends over the other night and it turns out one of them has a nice power washer. So I'll probably borrow his and look into buying one next year. That $400 could be better used elsewhere this summer.
Old 04-10-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Faucet?
Old 04-10-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Faucet?
Old 04-11-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Faucet?
i only screwed it up 4 times!

I ended up digging up the PVC pipes and found that the one that was leaking looked to be a connection that was never glued together. They must have just jammed the pieces together and the surrounding mud/dirt held it in place for 20+ years. Roots must have pulled the joint apart enough to cause it to start leaking. At least it was an easy fix once i got all the dirt/mud out of the way. I glued it and also used some bail wire to hold the connection together while the glue dried.
Old 05-01-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weed wackers! Mine has developed a leak somewhere so the gas is gone within a few days after I fill it. Dunno if it would be worth the expense of trying to have it fixed (nah!) so I started looking at new models and found that battery packs have become popular since buying my now-dead wacker. I've read customer reviews that claim they're just as good/powerful as their gas counterparts, but wondered if anyone here has any experience with 'em?
Old 05-02-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got an 80v Kobalt from Lowes for $199 a couple weeks back. Its pretty awesome. Lots of power, battery ran for an hour and still had some charge. Battery is supposed to only take 30 minutes to charge back up.
The head on it is the quick load type where you cut a 6-8ft length of trimmer string and feed it through the head until equal amount are sticking out each side, then you turn a knob until all but 4-5 inches of string are in the head. Its really fast to add line now.
Old 05-02-17, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I got an 80v Kobalt from Lowes for $199 a couple weeks back. Its pretty awesome. Lots of power, battery ran for an hour and still had some charge. Battery is supposed to only take 30 minutes to charge back up.
The head on it is the quick load type where you cut a 6-8ft length of trimmer string and feed it through the head until equal amount are sticking out each side, then you turn a knob until all but 4-5 inches of string are in the head. Its really fast to add line now.
I want to get one of those Kobalt mowers. They look sweet.

I close on the new house on Friday.
Old 05-02-17, 08:47 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've gone 100% electric (mower and trimmer) for a year. I have two medium size yards, and they work fine. I've never let the grass grow too tall so I can't compare them to gas tools power-wise, but they are great for what I need. They are lighter, easier to maneuver and quieter, and most of all, you don't have to buy and keep gasoline for them.

Get units that come with a spare battery to increase your coverage. I find that I go through almost 2 full battery charges for my yards, so by having a spare, I can complete the job in one run without waiting for re-charging.
Old 05-02-17, 08:48 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I close on the new house on Friday.
My condolences. I mean, congratulations
Old 05-03-17, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
My condolences. I mean, congratulations
It has been a stressful journey to get here. I'll be glad when the closing is over... Dealing with the realtors...lawyers...bank...just terrible. So you're saying it gets worse?!?!
Old 05-03-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
It has been a stressful journey to get here. I'll be glad when the closing is over... Dealing with the realtors...lawyers...bank...just terrible. So you're saying it gets worse?!?!
In the back of your head is the idea that you can just quit your job and go live in some other city. That idea is now obsolete.

Unless you're moving into a townhouse, all the chores that used to be the job of the landlord are now your chores. You'll learn to patch drywall and change faucet gaskets.

But I think it's worth it.
Old 05-03-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

and the bigger the house, the more it takes to keep it running smoothly. Its like a car but a looot more maintenance.
Old 05-03-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got a new irrigation control panel installed, really nice one. Now just need to replace all the piping and heads and I'm good to go.

Anyone have experience with replacing irrigation and possible prices?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.