DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-20-17, 11:14 PM   #276
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Home Owner Thread

I don't think chipmunks make a lot of holes, that close to each other. They're pretty territorial, and I think they only have two entrances to their burrows.
Old 03-21-17, 03:37 AM   #277

Those look like vole (field mouse) holes. I had them in my backyard a couple of years ago and I stuck a garden hose down a couple of the holes and flooded them out.
Old 03-21-17, 07:55 AM   #278
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
And now the radon test came in a bit elevated. What a day. I hope this all works in my favor and doesn't fall apart.
We had that and they put in a mitigation system. All is fine now.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 03-21-17, 09:31 AM   #279
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Is yours gas powered or battery pack? I do already have a gas powered weed wacker, was wondering what people preferred.
Mines the gas powered...the medium sized one. Runs everything beautifully. I could even get a chain saw on a pole attachment if I wanted one...but don't have many trees. It runs the weed whip / leaf blower and lawn edger perfectly And starts on the first or second pull.

Cost like $700 for the engine and all 3 attachments but I've gotten alot of use out of them.
Old 03-21-17, 09:55 AM   #280
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I finally got my carpets cleaned yesterday....same company I use every couple years. They had to cancel last week once so everythings been out of my upstairs bedrooms and living room for over a week. Stacked into my kitchen and garage. Hate living like this...but its done and the carpets look great.

Now...for the fun part. The carpet cleaner arrived...nice guy. The only thing I didn't move was my bed. My bed is a monstrosity. 7 foot tall headboard, 4 poster, sleeping level is 3 feet off the ground. Its 15 years old and I've been thinking about replacing it as its also a bit wobbly. Its also very heavy. I told him I wanted it moved (to clean under it) and that I would help. We moved it and he cleaned behind it. I stepped out for a few minutes and next thing I hear is "BANG!". I go running back into the room and he had attempted to move the bed by himself.

He broke the headboard clean off...bent and snapped off the attachment plates and the whole front of the bed fell down to the ground, bending and breaking 4-5 of the 6 little legs underneath. To make things worse...the headboard is so heavy it fell against the wall in my bedroom....(the bang!) and it put two 50 cent sized holes in my wall.

To make a long story short...I didn't get too upset. The bed is completely totaled and while I don't mind taking some responsibility for having an old heavy bed...I told him I'd help and not to try and move it alone.

The company called me today. I made a deal with them....they give me the cleaning for nothing and agree to dispose of the old bed.

I went to Slumberland yesterday and bought a new bed. They had an awesome deal. $1800 king sized Broyhill (sturdy/all wood) for $900. I didn't have to pay the $250 for the cleaning I get the bed for $650 or so. Worked out.

Have the guy who painted my basement coming over to fill the two holes in my wall and paint the bedroom (same paint as my downstairs / leftover from last week). He's coming this afternoon and my bed will be delivered on Sunday afternoon.

Not an expense I wanted right now with 2000 for carpet, 650 for a water softener (with install) and other painting expenses...but its done. I'd been looking at new beds a few months ago anyway...just moved this purchase up a bit.

Last edited by FiveO; 03-21-17 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 10:37 PM   #281
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're a nice guy. The company got off very cheaply. Probably only $50-100 out of pocket on a "$250" cleaning. A more litigious individual would have milked this for a couple of thousand at least. You should also have gotten them to pay for the "structural damage" as well. Finding a new bed for a "good" deal does not minimize the damage impact that the cavalier foolishness of the guy cause to you.
Old 03-21-17, 11:34 PM   #282
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumPeach View Post
Those look like vole (field mouse) holes. I had them in my backyard a couple of years ago and I stuck a garden hose down a couple of the holes and flooded them out.
Voles aren't Field Mice.
Field mice look like mice, voles look like tiny Moles.

Those tunnels are bigger than what a voles would build and they usually just build underground and you don't see the holes like the posted pics.

I still say chipmunks or actual moles.
Old 03-22-17, 06:49 AM   #283
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
You're a nice guy. The company got off very cheaply. Probably only $50-100 out of pocket on a "$250" cleaning. A more litigious individual would have milked this for a couple of thousand at least. You should also have gotten them to pay for the "structural damage" as well. Finding a new bed for a "good" deal does not minimize the damage impact that the cavalier foolishness of the guy cause to you.
Yeah... Holy shit. The guy broke a bed and damaged the wall. I'd make the company pay for all of that shit.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-22-17, 06:49 AM   #284
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

Part of me agrees...but I wasn't going to get too upset. Just my personality. My room is painted and the small holes were filled yesterday...took 10 minutes. I probably should have milked it for a bit more but I'm not going to worry too much about it.

2nd coat of paint goes on this morning and bed is delivered this weekend.
Old 03-22-17, 10:20 AM   #285
DVD Talk Legend

The bed fell apart just because someone tried to move it? It's a good thing you use it gently. I wouldn't have made a big fuss over it either.

I had an HVAC guy look at the ductwork under the swamp cooler on the roof. His advice was that it isn't terribly rusty, that replacement would run over $1k, and so I should leave it alone. I thanked him and told him not to even work up an estimate. He's a friend, but even at friend rates the job isn't worth the money.
Old 03-22-17, 01:25 PM   #286
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Voles aren't Field Mice.
Field mice look like mice, voles look like tiny Moles.

Those tunnels are bigger than what a voles would build and they usually just build underground and you don't see the holes like the posted pics.

I still say chipmunks or actual moles.
Either way, I had some Critter Ridder laying around that I forgot about and sprinkled some of that in most of the holes. Not sure if that'll do much, but it's a starting point.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 03-22-17, 01:48 PM   #287
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah... Holy shit. The guy broke a bed and damaged the wall. I'd make the company pay for all of that shit.
Except the bed was probably worth $200 and fixing a couple small holes in the wall cost next to nothing.
Old 03-22-17, 01:50 PM   #288
DVD Talk Legend

In the immortal words of Jean-Paul Sartre:  Au revoir, critter.
Old 03-22-17, 09:28 PM   #289
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
In the immortal words of Jean-Paul Sartre:  Au revoir, critter.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 03-24-17, 08:45 AM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
The comps were in the range that the appraisal came in it. Exact actually. But this house seems much nicer than the comps. It has a nice new kitchen, finished basement. It is move in ready. No work needs to be immediately done to it, but everything (besides kitchen, basement) is original. The market has been rough. We've been looking for 6 months. Had many situations where appointments were cancelled and no more offers being taken on house we were interested. When we found this one we moved as quick and possible and offered asking. I would've went a little lower due to age of some things, but the offered a home warranty too. The roof is just old. I'm would think another year or two could be gotten from it. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. The $5k I was going to ask for would've went to a portion of the roof. Now with the a lower price (hopefully), I would not ask for anything else.

The other agent is going to contest the appraisal I'm sure. We have met the sellers and they are very nice. I hope they are willing to work something out. We've been very accommodating to their schedule as they are building a new home. But I have lost some faith in my agent, and I don't think much of theirs.
They did contest the original appraisal. Apparently the appraiser made "an error" and the adjusted the appraisal to add an additional $9k. This cost us two weeks and our mortgage rate. We had a lock, but since the loan amount changed, it went lower than a jumbo loan, and we had to do everything over again, so now there is an additional .125% on the rate. We argued with the bank because this was due to the appraiser that they hired, blah blah blah. But no go.

The sellers did agree to sell for appraisal price though, $22k less than the original purchase price. I can live with that.

Last edited by dex14; 03-24-17 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 09:06 AM   #291
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

22k less than original purchase price sounds like a good deal

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-24-17, 12:52 PM   #292
DVD Talk Hero

Hey you got lucky the seller agreed to lower the selling price. I have dealt with a seller who refuses to lower the buying price one penny.

Personally I would trade 22k off buying price for 1/8 point because you never know when you will sell the house.
Old 03-29-17, 03:44 PM   #293

I want to replace the light bulbs on some of those enclosed ceiling domes but every single CFL and LED bulb i have checked on Home Depot says "Not for use in completely enclosed fixture" Are there not light energy efficient bulbs that work for these domes? Does anybody have tried using LEDs or CFLs on enclosed lightning fixtures?

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-29-17, 03:50 PM   #294
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see why LED's wouldn't work. Their heat output should be less then the others.
Old 03-29-17, 04:07 PM   #295

That's what I think, but every bulb I checked so far says "Not for sure in enclosed light fixtures"

Old 03-29-17, 04:11 PM   #296
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I want to replace the light bulbs on some of those enclosed ceiling domes but every single CFL and LED bulb i have checked on Home Depot says "Not for use in completely enclosed fixture" Are there not light energy efficient bulbs that work for these domes? Does anybody have tried using LEDs or CFLs on enclosed lightning fixtures?
I think a light fixture with a small gap opening would be fine for a LED bulb. I wouldn't use it in a completely sealed fixture with no vent whatsoever. A typical LED bulb puts out 11w, and that's cool enough that the bulb is made out of plastic, not glass.
Old 03-29-17, 05:49 PM   #297
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/five-thi...ing-led-bulbs/

Not all light fixtures should use LEDs
Knowing where it's OK to place an LED will ensure that the bulb won't fizzle ahead of its time.

You probably know that LED bulbs run dramatically cooler than their incandescent cousins, but that doesn't mean they don't produce heat. LED bulbs do get hot, but the heat is pulled away by a heat sink in the base of the bulb. From there, the heat dissipates into the air and the LED bulb stays cool, helping to keep its promise of a very long life.

And therein lies the problem: the bulb needs a way to dissipate the heat. If an LED bulb is placed in an enclosed housing, the heat won't have anywhere to go, sending it right back to the bulb, and sentencing it to a slow and painful death.

Consider where you'd like to place your LED bulbs. If you have fully or semi-enclosed fixtures you need to light up, look for LEDs that are approved for recessed or enclosed spaces.
Old 03-30-17, 09:58 AM   #298

Yea is one of these.. and I have like 5 of them (each uses 2 bulbs) not sure I want to spend money replacing the whole light fixture, but then again it would save a lot on energy?

Old 03-30-17, 10:24 AM   #299
DVD Talk Legend

^ I have the exact same light fixture - probably commonly used on newly built homes from the builder.

I've noticed LED bulbs that warn that it's not for use in an enclosed light fixture, and other LEDs that make no mention one way or the other. I haven't come across any yet that state that it IS fine for enclosed light fixtures.

I've only replaced bulbs in my lamps (I use the lamps often). Also in the kitchen pot-lights - which are shaped like a cone and are designed to on the outside of the fixture and provides much more light to the room... whereas the previous light bulb would hide in the fixture and basically mostly just shined down into the room instead of out.

Would love to replace more bulbs with LEDs, but I need to find ones that specifically say it's fine to use in an enclosed fixture.
Old 03-30-17, 10:24 AM   #300
DVD Talk Hero

I use LEDs with those same fixtures and have had no issues

Though now that I think about it, I don't really use the lights in those enclosures that frequently. So maybe I'm not the target of those warnings.