Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Home Owner Thread

Old 02-07-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Home Owner Thread

Our first time home buyers wanted a TON done to the house. I called up their agent myself and said - "I am happy to provide them with a safe house, but not a perfect one."

They tried to get me to regrade the front due to some drainage issues and said it was a "walk" term and I said that's fine, I'll keep the earnest money and they can go on their way. They closed (of course).
Old 02-07-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah earnest money seems hit or miss to me. Back in 2004 when we sold our first house the very first people looked and made an offer the same day. Put down 1000 earnest. Our Realtor took it off the market and put a sold sign in the yard. 10 days later they didn't get approved for the loan although they were pre-approved. So I told my realtor "we get to keep the 1000 earnest money right since it was off the market almost two weeks"? I was told "nope, not how it works". Not sure what earnest money really is.
Old 02-07-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, we had someone bail and we didn't get to keep the money either. We also had to bail on a house we put an offer in after we had the inspections done. We kept our money.

I don't see what the purpose is either.
Old 02-08-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
Yeah earnest money seems hit or miss to me. Back in 2004 when we sold our first house the very first people looked and made an offer the same day. Put down 1000 earnest. Our Realtor took it off the market and put a sold sign in the yard. 10 days later they didn't get approved for the loan although they were pre-approved. So I told my realtor "we get to keep the 1000 earnest money right since it was off the market almost two weeks"? I was told "nope, not how it works". Not sure what earnest money really is.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yeah, we had someone bail and we didn't get to keep the money either. We also had to bail on a house we put an offer in after we had the inspections done. We kept our money.

I don't see what the purpose is either.
In both of these situations a contingency came into play. In Barth's there was likely a financing contingency. In Mike's, an inspection contingency.

In my case, there was nothing about a re-grading. I did everything we agreed to do. This was just another thing they wanted done above and beyond. In this case, we would have kept it had they bailed.

On another note, we drove by our old house and the morons have destroyed a beautiful old tree in the front yard by hacking it to bits. A shame.
Old 02-08-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Its been a few months since we moved but I still miss my old house. My old neighbors send us a picture of it yesterday and it looked so lonely with all the snow. The people that bought it seems like just did it as an investment cause they put it for rent right after but so far nobody has moved in.
Sucks cause just last summer i built a playset for the kids and was hoping a family would move in that would make use of it
Old 02-08-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My parents remodeled their kitchen a handful of years ago. Took about 6 weeks. The fridge had a permanent home in the family room.
Our fridge is in the dining room now, along with the microwave, toaster, and coffee pot. One of the bookcases from the family room has also been repurposed as a pantry.

We're shooting for six weeks as well.
Old 02-08-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

When we bought our current house in Dec 2015, I lived here 4 months alone with my dog, sequestered in the master bedroom while all the work was being done by myself and other guys. My family lived with my in laws. I had a refrigerator and a microwave, nothing else. Definitely sucks ass living like that.
Old 02-12-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it a few years ago. I'd say it helped about 25% of the squeaks I tried to get rid of. Only eliminated a couple, toned down a couple and didn't phase a half dozen or so other spots.
So, I bought this about two weeks ago because there are a couple spots in my living room where the subfloor is squeaky. I tried it out last night and it ended up being a bigger pain in the butt than it was worth. We have a drop ceiling through about ĺ of my basement, except in the laundry room, which is right below the kitchen. The kitchen and living room are right next to each other, so I was able to measure the exposed floor joists in the laundry room and use that to determine where a couple were along the kitchen/living room threshold.

The first screw went down about 4/5 of the way, but kept getting stuck; it must’ve been getting caught in the carpet or padding or something. There was one screw included that had the threads wrapped in tape (the directions said tape the screws if you’re using them on loop or berber carpet), so I used that one, which went in fine. I wrapped another screw in tape and started on another spot about six inches down the joist, but the tape bunched up near the top and the screw got stuck. It also went down further than it was supposed to, so the head was real close to the carpet fibers.

Eventually, I was able to work the screw up far enough to snap the head off, but that whole ordeal was a bigger pain in the ass than I wanted to deal with. And the spots I wanted to work on are across the living room, so I didn’t even hit one of the spots I wanted to. All in all, I do not have a positive impression of this product.

The carpet in the living room and hall needs replaced anyway (I’m hoping to have someone do it this spring), so I figure I'll have the carpet installer add some screws to the subfloor in these areas while the carpet is ripped out.
Old 02-12-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
We replaced all the carpets in our house with wood laminate about a year ago. We are quite happy with the look but just be aware that you will have to sweep, vacuum, mop every few days because the wood shows everything compared to carpet especially with pets.
This is true but every time is sweep the hardwood I look at the large pile of pet fur, dirt, crumbs, etc. and think this is the crap that would otherwise be trapped in our carpets!

Despite the extra sweeping time, Hardwood/laminate/tile floors seem like a much healthy choice. Especially for someone with breathing issues or allergies.
Old 02-12-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big e View Post
So, I bought this about two weeks ago because there are a couple spots in my living room where the subfloor is squeaky. I tried it out last night and it ended up being a bigger pain in the butt than it was worth. We have a drop ceiling through about ĺ of my basement, except in the laundry room, which is right below the kitchen. The kitchen and living room are right next to each other, so I was able to measure the exposed floor joists in the laundry room and use that to determine where a couple were along the kitchen/living room threshold.

The first screw went down about 4/5 of the way, but kept getting stuck; it mustíve been getting caught in the carpet or padding or something. There was one screw included that had the threads wrapped in tape (the directions said tape the screws if youíre using them on loop or berber carpet), so I used that one, which went in fine. I wrapped another screw in tape and started on another spot about six inches down the joist, but the tape bunched up near the top and the screw got stuck. It also went down further than it was supposed to, so the head was real close to the carpet fibers.

Eventually, I was able to work the screw up far enough to snap the head off, but that whole ordeal was a bigger pain in the ass than I wanted to deal with. And the spots I wanted to work on are across the living room, so I didnít even hit one of the spots I wanted to. All in all, I do not have a positive impression of this product.

The carpet in the living room and hall needs replaced anyway (Iím hoping to have someone do it this spring), so I figure I'll have the carpet installer add some screws to the subfloor in these areas while the carpet is ripped out.
Yeah, pulling up the carpet and screwing the wood down is usually the best way. When our house was a few years old we had a few squeaks develop but the carpet was still in great shape. I just hired a carpet restretcher to come out and pull up the carpet. I screwed down the squeaky spots myself and he put the carpet back down and restretched it, which it needed anyway. Think it cost me all of a 100 dollars. Moving the furniture was the hardest part.
We're not in that house anymore but lived there 5 years after doing that and didn't have a single squeak in those 5 years.
Old 02-19-17, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anybody do a lot of their own landscaping? That's my next big project. Been working on the inside for months and the outside is next.

I'm going to replace all the plants out front. The previous owner has a bunch of half-dead butchered holly bushes out there. But I'm wondering about landscaping fabric and soaker hoses. Does the fabric really keep weeds out for years? Would a soaker be better/easier than just hooking up a sprinkler once in a while? I'm guessing they need to be dug up and replaced every few years.

Going to build some raised beds in the back too. There's a lot of clay where I live, so planting directly in the ground doesn't do all that well. Looks like cedar is the best bet for that. Has anyone treated their beds to keep the wood from fading? I see supposedly "safe" chemicals online that don't seep into the soil and the plants, but I'm skeptical.
Old 02-19-17, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe replace the soaker hose with drip irrigation?
Old 02-19-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't found landscape fabric to do much of anything beneficial. Weeds grow in concrete cracks, they're sure as shit going to grow in a layer of mulch on top of landscape fabric.
Old 02-19-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hire a landscaping company to come out every spring to clean up my yard and shrub beds. I asked them around 7 years ago when they started doing it for me why they don't use landscape fabric. He laughed, and said "that stuff just turns in to a moldy mess that will need to be replaced regularly for it to work". Granted he's in business in to make money but he said "if you just rake off the existing mulch every spring and put down new you shouldn't have a weed problem". Seven years later I believe he is right. I haven't had a weed issue at all and I have shrub beds all around the house. Plus, if you have colored mulch and want it to look good almost year round you'll have to replace it once a year. Same goes for the basic cedar, it will turn grey eventually.
Rubberized mulch intrigues me because it's supposed to last years, keep it's color, looks like real mulch, etc. but for the price it better. The price has kept me from researching it further.
Old 02-19-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this may be the year we finally re-do our yard. It is far more weeds than grass. We have talked about just tilling the whole damned thing up and planting grass seed. Any tips on doing this or when the best time would be to do it?
Old 02-20-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depending on the weeds, I would be careful about tilling everything. You could cause a bigger issue than you already have if your lawn contains bindweed. Unless you completely kill everything, then till it up and start over.
Old 02-20-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks mndtrp. I had to Google bindweed ... I should be so lucky as to have something that flowers in my yard!

No, its just general junk weeds. Mostly clover (I think). We even get wild onions growing in the neighborhood (I hate the stench when those get mowed).

When we bought the house it was a repo and had been unoccupied for 4+ years so there was no lawn maintenance going on. We bought it as a flip, but they guy only fixed up the house, not the yard. The neighbor was mowing the front because he got sick of looking at it. The back yard (privacy fence) was buried under 4 years of unraked leaves, so nothing was growing back there. Once we got the leaves cleaned out, we found out they people had a pool in one half (gravel and sand, not much growing) and the other half was trashed from a dog (and pretty well shaded) so not much has grown up there either.
Old 02-21-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow...a few days ago. Glendale Galleria Parking Structure.

Old 02-21-17, 05:43 PM

I'm currently in attorney review on the (hopefully) "forever home".

Also, fuck the election for making interest rates go up about .75% since I started looking. Not make or break, just annoying.
Old 02-21-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I'm currently in attorney review on the (hopefully) "forever home".

Also, fuck the election for making interest rates go up about .75% since I started looking. Not make or break, just annoying.
odd. we refied around election time and got the best rate, lowering ours from like 3.825 to 3.25%, while also eliminating PMI.
Old 02-21-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We've been under construction on our dream home since the election and the rates have gone up half a point already. Hoping they don't go up further before we close. Nothing like paying more simply due to interest. It seemed like the rates going up what they did had a slight cooling effect on the new construction market so hoping that makes them think twice.

Our builder told us that lumber futures have gone through the roof. I think it's speculators more than anything. Fortunately we were already locked in pricing wise on our lumber.
Old 02-21-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While the rates have climbed a bit the interest rate is still at good numbers to buy a house. The first house I bought on a 15 year note in 1997?...7.375! In-laws and parents thought I got a steal!

We just refinanced about two years ago to 4.4 on a 30. Now we're being offered rates in the 3.8 area. Haven't jumped yet but I should.

Depending on the amount of the loan your not talking a whole lot added to your monthly payment. Also, buy the house you can afford. We looked at what we thought we could afford, what we were approved for (and laughed cause that's always inflated), and I told my wife I want to buy a house where we're not house poor and I can apply another $150 towards the principal every month to help pay it off sooner. If we stay on track, mortgage free at 57, 44 now.

Last edited by Barth; 02-21-17 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm looking into buying a townhouse or condo. I'm tired of paying close to $1000 a month for rent. In the ten years that I have lived in my apartment in Nashville, the rent has almost doubled.
Old 02-22-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Anybody do a lot of their own landscaping? That's my next big project. Been working on the inside for months and the outside is next.

I'm going to replace all the plants out front. The previous owner has a bunch of half-dead butchered holly bushes out there. But I'm wondering about landscaping fabric and soaker hoses. Does the fabric really keep weeds out for years? Would a soaker be better/easier than just hooking up a sprinkler once in a while? I'm guessing they need to be dug up and replaced every few years.
Yeah landscape will keep grass out temporarily, but two years? No way. I have used both cheap and expensive fabric and grass grows no matter what you do. Last year i worked on my front lawn and created a small garden part with flowers and a couple of small trees. Put down fabric and mulch on top. Be aware that these things need continual maintenance. My front lawn is not very big and the garden part is a fraction of its overall size, but the upkeep can be a ball aching job.

I was actually working on the garden last night as i have not touched it since before Christmas and its looking a mess. Hoping to spend some time over the next few days to get it back to normal.

I noticed back in January that one side of my house, which is always in the shade from the sun, had started to really retain water. The ground is clay based and it was on my mind that having water soaking ground right next to my house would probably bode badly for the future. So we have installed a patio at that part of the house. Also, installed a drainage line running through the back garden to help run off any excess rainfall. Late last year it was raining a lot in PR and the garden was getting flooded on a regular basis.\

One last thing, i am actually having a problem with what i think is Bermuda Grass in my back garden. I have tried a number of different weed killers and nothing gets rid of it. Only way seems to be by pulling out by the roots. Any suggestions for fighting this kind of invasive garden weed is appreciated.
Old 02-22-17, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
odd. we refied around election time and got the best rate, lowering ours from like 3.825 to 3.25%, while also eliminating PMI.
Around the election may have been ok... but post it has gone up. I didn't want to just say fuck Trump on the internet... but there... I guess I said it... fuck Trump. Also... New Jersey is expensive as hell.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.