Reload this Page >

I'm planning on having hip replacement surgery in 2016

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-25-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since Vibiana started a thread chronicling her and other's weight loss surgery, I wanted to start one for those of us people in need of joint replacements whether they be knees, Hips, shoulder's. etc.

A few years ago I was running 15 miles during the week and did 10 -12 on Sunday mornings. I was a running machine. I started to go to physical therapy for a couple back issues which he determined was an alignment problem. After several months to a year of PT my back was feeling great, but I was still having trouble getting in and out of the car. I was very stiff and hobbled when getting up. In 2015 he determined there must be another issue because nothing he did would ease the pain or tightness. X-Rays revealed I had advanced arthritis and bone spurs and was a candidate for a replacement. I did get several opinions.

I have gotten a couple of cortisone shots but they wear off after a month and it feels worse. I either have to go up stairs one step at a time or at home I'll lean forward on my hands taking the weight off my hip. I limp so bad now my knee is aching as well. I have to take 1000mg of acetaminophen in order to sleep. I'm really ready for a cane but haven't taken that step yet.

Since I'm on straight commission sales I don't get paid for time off. I've decided to wait until December when work is the slowest between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It seems everyone I talk to either knows someone or has had a joint replaced themselves. My mom had her shoulders replaced, my father-in-law both hips twice, my sister both knees. Plus other friends, relatives and acquaintances.

If anyone has had, is going to have, or knows someone who had a joint replaced this is a good spot to tell the story for the rest of us. I still have 6 months, and my updates won't be as exciting as Vib or Ken until January, but I'd like to know what kind of shape we are all in.
Old 06-25-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: I'm planning on having hip replacement surgery in 2016

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

You're in my thoughts.
Old 06-25-16, 01:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good luck JR!
Old 06-25-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My aunt has had both hips done and says it's one of the best things she's ever done. Very pleased with the results. She's in her 80s and still golfs. She also bowled into her 70s.

Best of luck!
Old 06-25-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck on your surgery!
Old 06-25-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've known quite a few that have had hip/knee replacements. Their stories have always been the same--the recovery can be rough, but they're thankful they had it done and wished that had done so sooner.
Old 06-25-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No replacements for me but I've had 2 MRI's this year, right shoulder and left knee. Shoulder has some rotator cuff damage but does not require surgery. I do physio/exercises to put it back in the right position (it had "dropped" forward and a nerve was getting pinched when I served (tennis). Knee result came in last week and I have a torn meniscus, not surprising since it had been occasionally locking up (again when playing tennis) for years. But it had gotten worse and I basically couldn't plant, pivot and go left without experiencing severe pain. I'm gonna need arthroscopic surgery.

So nothing as bad as Jim, but some sports, especially after 30+ years, are murder for the joints. I told my doctor: "I thought playing sports was good for you!". He laughed and said: "No, exercise is good for you".

Anyway, good luck with your surgery Jim!
Old 06-25-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was it the running which destroyed the hips? How long were you running for? Were you running even after the problems manifested?
Old 06-25-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Was it the running which destroyed the hips? How long were you running for? Were you running even after the problems manifested?
It would not have been the running.
Old 06-25-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good luck to you! I hope all has goes well.

Did they say how long you would be down?

My buddy needs a knee replacement but they won't do it as he is so young and guess for what he needs can only get one.

Hopefully next year can meet in Vegas for that run!
Old 06-25-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Replacements seem to be better than long-term corty shots, as there is more evidence over the last decade or so about patients who have taken cortisone for the long-term.
Old 06-25-16, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well yes and no. Apparently I had at least the beginning of it way back in my 30's. I can remember when I started martial arts. My left hip just would not stretch like my right one. It had nothing to do with the muscle, now I find out it was a bone spur all along. So I had it but it didn't hurt yet.

The ball and socket are supposed to be round but mine were oblong. So all the running did create wear and he said the cartilage is gone so now I'm bone on bone. I stopped running at the advice of the doctor once it was determined the cartilage was gone. I can do some slow elliptical buts that all. I had run for years and years but the long distances were only for a couple years. Like I said, I always thought the issues were because I had a misalignment in my back and hips.

So in and of itself it didn't cause it but it certainly didn't help it. I just have to hope that the health benefits from the running help me heal better and faster once I have the surgery.
Old 06-25-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Good luck to you! I hope all has goes well.

Did they say how long you would be down?

My buddy needs a knee replacement but they won't do it as he is so young and guess for what he needs can only get one.

Hopefully next year can meet in Vegas for that run!
Like any surgery the first couple weeks are pretty nasty, then it's about an 8 - 10 week recovery slowly allowing more movement. I should be able to get back to work on a limited basis in January when my customers get new budgets.

I would love to do that Vegas run. I had planned on it last year. I'll never run like the old days, he doesn't want me pounding on it. But I can still do some decent runs as long as I don't try to set any land speed records. I might do another Tough Mudder. One more before I'm 60.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Replacements seem to be better than long-term corty shots, as there is more evidence over the last decade or so about patients who have taken cortisone for the long-term.
The two shots I got worked great. Absolutely no pain for 30 days. The problem is you can only get one every 3 months so it's 30 on, 60 off, and to make matters worse, when they wear off it feels much, much worse.
Old 06-25-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
But I can still do some decent runs as long as I don't try to set any land speed records. I might do another Tough Mudder. One more before I'm 60.
Is that wise with the condition of your hips??
Old 06-25-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Is that wise with the condition of your hips??
I worded that wrong. Right now I can't at all. After the surgery heals I'll be able to go back to running but he doesn't want me pounding the shit of it. Slow and steady, no marathons but long runs are OK. Just make sure I'm going at the same speed as a glacier, which is basically how fast I move now. The new hip is expected to last 20 years or a little more. If I start running like I used to I might wear it out in 15 or less.
Old 06-26-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well good luck!

And I plan to make Vegas an annual event. This year will be my 3rd as I mix in other destinations (Chicago next month).

I have doing a full marathon "on my radar" but I'm very happy with the half distance-. It is a manageable training distance even with my traveling. I am trying speed up and if I can get to a 2:10-2:15 half, then I'll consider a full. I'm just too slow to do a full right now.

See you in Vegas in 2017 or 2018!
Old 06-28-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One friend of mine had both hips replaced, and is doing well. Recovery for the first was quite fast, while the second took a bit longer.

Another friend had one hip replaced, and is literally in the best shape of his life after doing so. He has taken up boxing and lost a ton of weight.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-16, 02:42 PM

I just had a full hip replacement in March, and the one recommendation I would suggest would be to make sure you find a surgeon that does the anterior approach. Recovery is much faster, and the pain much less. The reason is that they go through the front/top of the thigh area and don't have to cut through any major muscle or tendons. I had my surgery at 8:30am (took about 60 min) and had my first PT session that afternoon walking across my hospital room with a walker. Only stayed 1 night in the hospital, used the walker at home for about 4-5 days, progressed to a cane for a couple weeks and that was about it. Only needed 3 in-home PT visits, and was able to get back to 40-60 minute walks through the neighborhood at about 3 weeks. Hip replacements are much easier to recover from than knees. Good luck!
Old 07-05-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info. I am going to try and get one more cortisone shot this month then that's all they'll let me have before the surgery. I'll have to ask the surgeon his method.
Old 07-06-16, 10:40 AM

No problem, and you can easily find more information on the procedure by searching for "anterior approach hip replacement", they even have video's of how it's performed if you're interested. Even with the all the benefits, the reason it's still somewhat less common is that it requires a special operating table and it is just a more complex surgery. Surgeons face a steep learning curve for this procedure because the anterior incision provides a restricted view of the hip joint, making it a technically demanding procedure.
Old 07-12-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I read this thread early on and then stayed out of it ... I'd been having some severe hip pain for a while and you guys were scaring the shit out of me.

It finally got to the point where I couldn't walk, which drove me to break down and go to the doctor.

First doctor (general) decided it was bursitis and put me off my feet for five days. (This was after she said it was probably arthritis because she had a patient earlier with hip pain from arthritis ... thank god she hadn't seen a pregnant lady earlier!) That seemed to help, but I was right back to barely functioning a day and a half after getting back on my feet.

A week after that I went to an orthopedic doctor. Waiting and screwing around with schedules cost another week, then I got in for an MRI. This past Friday I went for the results ...

I seem to have a horizontal stress fracture at the top of the ball of my hip joint. He said there isn't much to do about it other than crutches for the next few months. Work will be an "as can do" since my job is a mix of activity and clerical. I usually do lots of driving, so that will likely be cut down. In the mean time, pain and discomfort are becoming my norm.
Old 07-12-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I read this thread early on and then stayed out of it ... I'd been having some severe hip pain for a while and you guys were scaring the shit out of me.

It finally got to the point where I couldn't walk, which drove me to break down and go to the doctor.

First doctor (general) decided it was bursitis and put me off my feet for five days. (This was after she said it was probably arthritis because she had a patient earlier with hip pain from arthritis ... thank god she hadn't seen a pregnant lady earlier!) That seemed to help, but I was right back to barely functioning a day and a half after getting back on my feet.

A week after that I went to an orthopedic doctor. Waiting and screwing around with schedules cost another week, then I got in for an MRI. This past Friday I went for the results ...

I seem to have a horizontal stress fracture at the top of the ball of my hip joint. He said there isn't much to do about it other than crutches for the next few months. Work will be an "as can do" since my job is a mix of activity and clerical. I usually do lots of driving, so that will likely be cut down. In the mean time, pain and discomfort are becoming my norm.
Good news and bad news I guess. Easier than major surgery but unfortunate that there is no better fix. I'm in a catch 22. I have to carry things in to customers all day. When I carry extra weight it hurts my hip so I really should be using a cane. But if I have a cane I can't carry things. At home it's easy I found if I crawl up the stairs (walk like a gorilla on my hands and feet) turning my bad hip out it takes all the weight off my left hip and is quite pain free. Again, if I have to carry anything I'm screwed.

I'll get one more cortisone shot in a couple weeks then in August meet with the surgeon to go over a final plan of action.
Old 07-12-16, 08:03 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Now I know we are getting old. Not looking forward to the "So I'm having cataract surgery this year..." threads.

Seriously though, I hope your surgery is a success JR.
Old 07-12-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh man, that blows. Good luck Jim! I know a dude went through a similar thing, and he ended up with a hip-replacement that got recalled (this is after it made him ooze out yellow puss from his groin area). At least he got a few $100K from a class-action lawsuit.

Anyways, is there/was there any way to avoid this, or do these bone spurs just "happen"?
Old 07-12-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stupid questions, but I have to ask...

outside of not falling, is there anything that can be done to reduce the chances of having hip issues - which would eventually lead to a hip replacement?

I don't have any issues but am worried that down the road I may. Could wear-and-tear from bike riding be an issue? How about the way someone sits? I have a habit of sitting on one of my legs when I'm on the couch or office chair - could that be a problem?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.