Reckless Driver 2: Electric Boogaloo

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-16-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've returned from the trenches with a few new stories about workmen, their shitty trucks, and their insanely reckless driving. And best of all it all occurred in the same spot as my previous, infamous incident back in November.

No rants this time. This will be a much more serious edition of my exploits.

So, you may remember the set up: My youngest daughter is 4 and goes to preschool at a church preschool across the street from a local elementary school. This whole situation is on a peninsula. There's only one way on and one way off and that's using this main arterial road that runs the whole length of the peninsula. Again, the preschool and this other elementary school are across the street from one another, and the street that separates them is this main arterial road. It's 4 lanes wide, two in each direction. The speed limit is 30. There is a crosswalk between the preschool and elementary school, but no stop sign. There are however big blinking yellow lights and there is a crossing guard. Yellow jacket, big read STOP sign, you know the deal. It's 8:05 am. School started 5 minutes ago. Kids and parents are still trickling in.

Now let's back up a moment. In the time since my last incident, in fact just three weeks ago, an independent contractor working for the city drove his trash truck over an 8 year old boy on a bicycle and crushed him to death. It occurred in a school zone. It's a horrible tragedy and not all the facts are known yet exactly what happened, but it's got everyone in the community on edge about safety and school zones.

Another important detail about the story I'm about to tell is that not only is this intersection in a School Zone, it's also in a Construction Zone. The city is doing an enormous amount of work. They've completely redone all the major intersections, they built new parking lots, they've gotten rid of parking meters. They're almost done and the final bit is landscaping. New trees in the center divider, new bushes and flowers all over the place.

So last Monday I'm doing the usual drive to pre-school. There's a landscaping truck in front of me the whole way. Large pick-up truck with big ugly plywood box thing on the back. As we get near the elementary and pre-school I see the bright blinking yellow lights. I see the crossing guard lady in her bright yellow jacket and big red "STOP" sign leading kids across the street. I see the sign that says NO U-TURN. And I see the truck go ahead and make the U-turn.

So let's list it all to make sure I didn't leave anything out. This guy:
In a construction zone
In a school zone
In front of the school
With the yellow lights flashing
In the presence of the crossing guard holding up her STOP sign
With children present in the intersection
And despite there being a big sign saying NO U-TURN
WENT AHEAD AND MADE HIS TURN!

I dropped my kid off and later caught up to him. He was, wait for it, an independent contractor working for the city! Working on the landscaping project.

More to come, including today's story.

Incidentally, I've got pictures of all these trucks with company name, phone numbers, and license plates visible. Is that okay to post?

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-16-16 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Reckless Driver 2: Electric Boogaloo

So story number two happened this morning. Less than two hours ago. MUCH bigger truck. Eighteen wheeler. It is in front of me. "Village Nurseries" it says on the side. Another independent contractor gardener.

He goes one block further than the guy from Monday's story. This intersection is the same set up. Crosswalk but no STOP sign, crossing guard lady standing guard with her sign. The sign at this intersection says, "No U-Turn Mon-Fri 7:00 to 4:00". In other words no U-Turn on school days. But he went ahead and made his U-Turn anyway. He had to make it a three point turn because his truck was so big. The crossing guard lady had to get out of his way when he backed up.

So I caught up with him and took a picture of his truck and plate. He asked me, "Is there a problem?"
I said, "You made an illegal U-Turn back there. You made an illegal U-Turn in a School Zone."
He said, "I'm really sorry."
I said, "That's okay you can tell the police you're sorry."

I called the police a few minutes ago. Spoke with someone and left a message for the Sergent in charge of traffic and safety. I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

I want to add that there are plenty of places to make legal U-Turns. About every three blocks. They just don't want you to do it in the School Zone.

This is a big step for me. If you dig back through my posts I've frequently mentioned my disdain for the police as well as my disdain for people who call up the police about trivialities. But I think my anger towards city sub-contractors has surpassed my anger toward the police. And I'd really like my city to be a safer place, especially for kids. We can build bike lanes and have stop lights, crosswalks, and crossing guards, but none of it will work if we can't be safe attentive drivers in the first place.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-16-16 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've come a long way, Mabuse baby.
Old 06-16-16, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you turned the bastard in. What may come of it is probably nothing, but you've gone further than 99% of people would in this instance.

I do not harbor any love for hired independent contractors, who drive around as if they own the city, traffic laws be damned, safety be damned. Rushing from job to job and then to the bank of course.
Old 06-17-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See what happens when I don't blow my top and yell at a motherfucker? Two posts in 24 hours?! Oh well.
Old 06-17-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to be praised for acting somewhat normal???

Even IF the guy didn't truly make a mistake it is a dick move calling the cops.

Is that better now?
Old 06-17-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fucking locals. Always calling the cops.
Old 06-18-16, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
See what happens when I don't blow my top and yell at a motherfucker? Two posts in 24 hours?! Oh well.
But we NEED you to yell! That makes the stories more interesting!
Old 09-06-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
But we NEED you to yell! That makes the stories more interesting!
Well you got your wish.

First day of school was this morning. Both kids are now attending the same school. First day of kindergarten for my little 5 year old. Mom and dad and the two kids, we're all walking to school.

Again, keep in mind that near the end of the last school year an 8 year old was killed on his bike on the way home from school. Just blocks from the school. Hit by an inattentive trash truck driver. This has been a terrible tragedy for the neighborhood and the school. The kids know about it, but most of them are too young to fully grasp the gravity of it all.

First day of school. The streets are swarming with people, kids, bikes, strollers. There's a 4 way intersection in front of the school. There are STOP signs in all 4 directions and big yellow painted crosswalks. At one STOP sign there is a school bus waiting to make a turn. There is a uniformed volunteer police officer in the intersection. His painted cruiser is right there, parked with the lights on. Every effort is being made to have a safe first day. There are people in the crosswalks. My family is about to cross.

This guy in a beat up white van starts honking his horn. HONK, HONK, HONK. He probably honked 10 times. He wanted everybody to hurry up. Well you can't hurry up asshole, it's a school zone.

I banged on the side window of his van really hard. Two hours later now and my hand still stings. I shouted, "Cut it out, this is a school zone."

He gets out of the car! He's a middle aged, fat, loser. He says, "You committed assault on my car."

I stood my ground. I said, "Shut up and get back in your car. A little boy was killed right here on his way from school less than a year ago. You are totally out of line. That's a school right there. There's a cop right there."

The guy is out of his car, all traffic has come to a stop. His car is blocking the road. The volunteer cop is just standing there.

He proceeded on about how I'd hit his car. I decided to threaten him. I don't know precisely where these words came from, but in the heat of the moment I said, "This neighborhood will destroy you. Get back in your car."

And as if on cue this neighbor strides across the street. HUGE guy. As wide as he is tall. Both arms fully tattooed. Shaved head. He is literally pounding his fist into his palm. He says to me rhetorically, "Is somebody driving recklessly here?"

I said, "There sure is."
He just looks at the guy and says, "You're fucked."

And we both advanced on him, me shouting "I told you. Now get back in and get out of here."

He got back in the car.
Old 09-06-16, 01:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

"This Neighborhood Will Destroy You" is the name of my Synthwave-meets-18th-century-Indonesian-opera band.
Old 09-06-16, 01:50 PM

I am glad somebody is showing the children at an early age how not to behave.
Old 09-06-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, in all honesty my kids were upset and confused by it. And it really did ruin the first day of school. But we really have a problem with drivers in our neighborhood. Two mothers came up and thanked me afterward.

And the city sends Volunteer (pretend) Cops instead of real police. The guy stood there the entire time with his orange vest and his book of citations clasp in his hands. I walked past him and said, "Better report that." I also called the police immediately when I got home to report the incident and request that ACTUAL police be present.
Old 09-06-16, 02:03 PM

Yes, in all honesty my kids were upset and confused by it. And it really did ruin the first day of school. But we really have a problem with drivers in our neighborhood. Two mothers came up and thanked me afterward.

And the city sends Volunteer (pretend) Cops instead of real police. The guy stood there the entire time with his orange vest and his book of citations clasp in his hands. I walked past him and said, "Better report that." I also called the police immediately when I got home to report the incident and request that ACTUAL police be present.
I am sure neither my wife or I would have come up to you to thank you for showing this type of behavior in front of our children. But to each her/his own.
Old 09-06-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another incident from 5 days ago. I'm right in front of my house getting my kids' stuff out my trunk. 4:00 in the afternoon. It's still summer, kids are not in school. Narrow residential street. White BMW 535 is coming down the street. The RPM's are telling me he's going way too fast. I give him the gentle "slow down" signal, my palm out flat moving up and down.

The next thing I know I hear it red lining. He's done a U turn at the end of the street, revved it all the way up, and he is flying down the street. My kids are in the front yard, there's got to be 20 kids under 10 years old that live on the street. The guy's a fucking maniac.

I had my daughter's skateboard in my hand. Before I could fully think I flung the thing at his car as hard as I could. I dented in the entire drivers side rear door and put a big teal scratch of paint into it.

This guy was going so fast neighbors ran out to see what was going on. The maid across the street thanked me and my next door neighbor, mother of 3, shouted "Good job."

But what the fuck is going on? Am I just having a string of bad luck or is this the way of things now? I'm having to literally bash people's cars to get them to conform to safe driving rules. Is this fucking Mad Max?

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-11-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This neighborhood will destroy you. Get back in your car."
Old 09-06-16, 02:12 PM

Another incident from 5 days ago. I'm right in front of my house getting my kids stuff out my trunk. 4:00 in the afternoon. It's still summer, kids are not in school. Narrow residential street. White BMW 535 is coming down the street very fast. The RPM's are telling me he's going way too fast. I give him the gentle "slow down" signal, my palm out flat moving up and down.

The next thing I know I hear it red lining. He's done a U turn at the end of the street, revved it all the way up, and he is flying down the street. My kids are in the front yard, there's got to be 20 kids under 10 years old that live on the street. The guy's a fucking maniac.

I had my daughters skateboard in my hand. Before I could fully think I flung the thing at his car as hard as I could. I dented in the entire drivers side rear door and put a big teal scratch of paint into it.

This guy was going so fast neighbors ran out to see what was going on. The maid across the street thanked me and my next door neighbor, mother of 3, shouted "Good job."

But what the fuck is going on? Am I just having a string of bad luck or is this the way of things now? I'm having to literally bash people's cars to get them to conform to safe driving rules. Is this fucking Mad Max?
You seem to be proud that you did this, are you?
Old 09-06-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So what really happened?
Old 09-06-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
You seem to be proud that you did this, are you?
Hell yeah. Reckless joyrider. Got to protect my family, home, investment, etc. Neighborhood will go to shit if we tolerate this stuff.

I've done a few burnouts in my day but never in a residential neighborhood. My god the recklessness of this guy.

I privately hope it was a kid who borrowed his dad's car and he's in deep shit now.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-06-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thinking about it some more, I'll change my answer. I'm not "proud" of it, but I'm glad I did it. If I just stood there and waved I'd feel pretty lame.
Old 09-06-16, 03:20 PM

Hell yeah. Reckless joyrider. Got to protect my family, home, investment, etc. Neighborhood will go to shit if we tolerate this stuff.

I've done a few burnouts in my day but never in a residential neighborhood. My god the recklessness of this guy.

I privately hope it was a kid who borrowed his dad's car and he's in deep shit now.
Thinking about it some more, I'll change my answer. I'm not "proud" of it, but I'm glad I did it. If I just stood there and waved I'd feel pretty lame.
How would you feel if you would have missed the car and instead hit one of the kids playing outside or one of your neighbors, or maybe just a neighbors car?
Old 09-06-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You know you will eventually get your ass kicked or a gun pulled on you, don't you?
Old 09-06-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
How would you feel if you would have missed the car and instead hit one of the kids playing outside or one of your neighbors, or maybe just a neighbors car?
The way things were situated, that wasn't possible. But to answer your question, I'd feel terrible if I hit a kid, but being hit by a skateboard isn't going to kill you. Hit by asshole guy in car? Yeah that's deadly.
Old 09-06-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
You know you will eventually get your ass kicked or a gun pulled on you, don't you?
In front of a school, in broad daylight, in front of a uniformed (volunteer) cop, in front of 50 witnesses? That's not likely.
Old 09-06-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In front of a school, in broad daylight, in front of a uniformed (volunteer) cop, in front of 50 witnesses? That's not likely.
Not likely but not impossible.

You never know when you're going to get the wrong person who just found out his wife left him with the kids and his blood is up and he just snaps and sprays you and your neighborhood with bullets.
Old 09-06-16, 04:13 PM

The way things were situated, that wasn't possible. But to answer your question, I'd feel terrible if I hit a kid, but being hit by a skateboard isn't going to kill you. Hit by asshole guy in car? Yeah that's deadly.
I am glad that you a sure that a skateboard, thrown by an irate adult at full force, can not kill a child if it hits the child in the head. I am happy that you have figured that all out in the few seconds you had before you threw that skateboard at the car.

As said before you will run into the wrong guy one day and it won't be a good outcome.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.