DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-15-16, 05:59 AM   #1

Alligator Grabs Child From Parent Without Asking For Permission

Quote:
Alligator attacks 2-year-old boy at Disney World

A 2-year-old boy who was attacked and dragged into the water by an alligator on the shores of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Tuesday night was still missing early Wednesday morning.

Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said Tuesday that rescue personnel had been actively looking for the child in the Seven Seas Lagoon for hours in a search and recovery effort but had not found him. They hoped to find him before daylight, he said. A dive team with sonar equipment was on standby -- just part of a 50-person rescue team on the scene.

Demings said the Nebraska family of five was relaxing on the shoreline when the alligator attacked the boy. The father entered the water and tried to pry the child from the gator, but was unsuccessful. He had scratches on his hands after the ordeal.

Parents then alerted a nearby lifeguard that an alligator had attacked the boy. Officials estimated it was between four and seven feet long.

READ MORE - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...614-story.html
Old 06-15-16, 07:23 AM   #2

Re: Tip for visiting Disney World?

While these people are a bunch of idiots for going in an area that is VERY clearly labelled "NO SWIMMING", I don't think I would've assumed that there are gators in the man made lakes at Disney World.

Also - I would think this should be in it's own thread.
Old 06-15-16, 07:26 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
While these people are a bunch of idiots for going in an area that is VERY clearly labelled "NO SWIMMING", I don't think I would've assumed that there are gators in the man made lakes at Disney World.

Also - I would think this should be in it's own thread.
It must be a Floridian thing where you just know if there's a mass of water, there's probably a Gator in it.

I don't think they're idiots for being around a "no swimming" area -- since it could just be dirty water -- but if it's true they were wading in the water that's a little odd.

Actually a few things strike me as odd on this one, but it's sad.
Old 06-15-16, 07:42 AM   #4
Banned

I agree. You know there are gators in Florida but one wouldn't think too much at the resort. Sad situation this is and I doubt they could ever do a Disney vacation again. They should probably halt the search now. I doubt they will even find a body
Old 06-15-16, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It must be a Floridian thing where you just know if there's a mass of water, there's probably a Gator in it.
Floridians definitely know that if there's water, there's probably a gator. You never let small kids or pets near the water's edge. Our neighbor found one in their swimming pool a couple weeks ago.

I don't know why there aren't signs. The nearby Shades Of Green has gators in their ponds, and they have signs up.

I remember seeing a small gator hanging out in the Splash Mountain water a few years ago. They also show up around Tom Sawyer Island. Here's some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ZqrnJkQuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsTLPXiHPeo

Last edited by TheBigDave; 06-15-16 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 07:51 AM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post

I don't think they're idiots for being around a "no swimming" area -- since it could just be dirty water -- but if it's true they were wading in the water that's a little odd.

Actually a few things strike me as odd on this one, but it's sad.
Just dirty water in Florida could mean brain eating amoebas. But did it say they were in the water? Maybe the kid was just near the edge . I have to admit it would never occur to me that a gator could come out and snatched a child. Don't people routinely watch fireworks and the boat parade from the beaches?
Old 06-15-16, 07:59 AM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

The whole thing is awful. Can't even imagine being that mother and father right now. What a nightmare.

Disney moves tens of thousands of people through their properties every day. You have a better chance of winning the lottery, than this happening on their watch.

Disney will take care of the family in a first class manner, as I learned from my neighbor when her cousin died (in her sleep) down there a couple of years ago.

Brutal.
Old 06-15-16, 07:59 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Just dirty water in Florida could mean brain eating amoebas. But did it say they were in the water? Maybe the kid was just near the edge . I have to admit it would never occur to me that a gator could come out and snatched a child. Don't people routinely watch fireworks and the boat parade from the beaches?
I don't know for sure, I've seen conflicting reports as to what the family was doing. And yeah, amoebas are really common this time of year and utterly terrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
I agree. You know there are gators in Florida but one wouldn't think too much at the resort. Sad situation this is and I doubt they could ever do a Disney vacation again. They should probably halt the search now. I doubt they will even find a body
It doesn't take much for a gator to show up in a new body of water, I have a feeling the entire thing will be railed off and the beach gone before long.
Old 06-15-16, 08:01 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Don't people routinely watch fireworks and the boat parade from the beaches?
fireworks, movie nights, playgrounds...
Old 06-15-16, 08:20 AM   #10

I did see a post from someone who said they were there when it happened. It was during a Movie Under The Stars screening. The gator came up on to the beach. This conflicts with with officials have said though...
Old 06-15-16, 08:33 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are more alligators in the WDW waterways than people probably realize. We have seen gators more than once when walking around the different resort grounds and at the entrance of the parks where the water taxis dock near at the parks. The most surprising was actually in the tiny "Hourglass Lake" that separates The Pop Century Resort from the Art of Animation resort. We were not the first to notice because the gator wranglers appeared right after we spotted it.

As others have noted there also have been gators spotted inside the MK and Epcot where the waterways actually link to others outside those parks.
Old 06-15-16, 08:34 AM   #12
DVD Talk Ruler

This morning I read that the boy was wading in about a foot of water. There are "no swimming" signs posted.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/all...ida/index.html

Quote:
Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said the child was "wading ... along the lake's edge at the time that the alligator attacked."
Old 06-15-16, 08:44 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Good Lord, you can see gators swimming in the "river" between Frontierland and Tom Sawyer's Island all the time. It's a pretty common occurrence and they never bother anyone. That said, they are usually "removed" from the area once they become big enough.

Floridians know to avoid fresh water sources precisely for reasons like these. My house is on a lake in Broward County and I've never put foot one into that water. There are also gator warning signs all along its perimeter. I've seen them in there often; the banks are too steep for them to climb, so they pretty much stay in there or leave via the way they came in.

Either way, this is an unimaginable horror for the family
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 06-15-16 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 08:47 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

People also forget that maybe 25% of Walt Disney World has been developed, and over 50% has been pledged to remain untouched for conservation efforts. And the bulk of it, bigger than Manhattan Island, is smack dab in the middle of Florida, smack dab in the middle of a SWAMP in Florida.

In other words, you're in Gator Country. You're in THEIR home.
Old 06-15-16, 08:51 AM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

This is brutal. The horror for the child and the misery for the parents.

I stayed at the Grand Floridian the last time I was there and never would have thought Disney would have alligators around. I understand they are in Florida but Disney is anal about everything - you'd think they'd be extra wary of man eating predators.

Sure, Floridians know about living in Florida but WDW is an international destination for many people who have never seen an alligator in their entire lives except on TV.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 06-15-16, 08:56 AM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
People also forget that maybe 25% of Walt Disney World has been developed, and over 50% has been pledged to remain untouched for conservation efforts. And the bulk of it, bigger than Manhattan Island, is smack dab in the middle of Florida, smack dab in the middle of a SWAMP in Florida.

I was told on our last visit it is about the size of the city of San Francisco. So I looked it up when I got home and there is only a 2.5 square mile difference. 49.5 vs 47.
Old 06-15-16, 09:12 AM   #17
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
We are man. They are in our home. The world is ours. They are systematically killing every gator in the area searching for this kid. Last I heard they've caught and killed 4 already.
Old 06-15-16, 09:56 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

^I thought they had only removed four gators from Seven Seas Lagoon; I hadn't heard that they killed them
Old 06-15-16, 10:04 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
This is brutal. The horror for the child and the misery for the parents.

I stayed at the Grand Floridian the last time I was there and never would have thought Disney would have alligators around. I understand they are in Florida but Disney is anal about everything - you'd think they'd be extra wary of man eating predators.

Sure, Floridians know about living in Florida but WDW is an international destination for many people who have never seen an alligator in their entire lives except on TV.
Given the location of the resort, I don't know if/how Disney could control wildlife movement/migration. The Seven Seas Lagoon is a man-made lake, but the adjacent Bay Lake is not, and the two are connected via waterway by the Contemporary Resort. I don't know how you'd keep out the hatchlings and smaller-sized gators; even the larger ones. Nature finds a way. They could always take the overland route.

Gators are also creatures of habit and memory. My parents live in a development right on the shores of Biscayne Bay, near a huge natural mangrove forest. A gator decided that she really enjoyed the area and parked herself right near the 10th hole of their golf course. She was pretty sizable, but she never bothered anyone; she sunned herself and casually watched golfers. After a few weeks, they had her removed and taken across the state, hours away to a preserve near Sarasota, where she was released.

Weeks later, she was back at the 10th hole. She loved it there. She actually swam down the Gulf of Mexico coastline, around the Keys, through the Florida Bay, up into Biscayne Back and back to their development. Same damn gator. They had to remove her again. I don't know where exactly they took her, but she never came back.

I don't know how you can keep nature out... especially right in the middle of a fertile alligator breeding area.
Old 06-15-16, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
^I thought they had only removed four gators from Seven Seas Lagoon; I hadn't heard that they killed them
I doubt they killed the gators. They probably just examined them and released them at the preserve. Disney has a massive wilderness preserve nearby.
Old 06-15-16, 10:49 AM   #21
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I doubt they killed the gators. They probably just examined them and released them at the preserve. Disney has a massive wilderness preserve nearby.
I don't make stuff up guys..

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alligato...disney-resort/
Old 06-15-16, 10:53 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Wonder if we'll hear the same outcry we did about the Gorilla. I guess it's tough to get alligators on an X-ray machine.
Old 06-15-16, 10:56 AM   #23

Quote:
That's a shame. With all the animal care facilities on site, you'd think they could examine them without putting them down. But I'm sure they know better than I do.
Old 06-15-16, 11:04 AM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Given the location of the resort, I don't know if/how Disney could control wildlife movement/migration. The Seven Seas Lagoon is a man-made lake, but the adjacent Bay Lake is not, and the two are connected via waterway by the Contemporary Resort. I don't know how you'd keep out the hatchlings and smaller-sized gators; even the larger ones. Nature finds a way. They could always take the overland route.

Gators are also creatures of habit and memory. My parents live in a development right on the shores of Biscayne Bay, near a huge natural mangrove forest. A gator decided that she really enjoyed the area and parked herself right near the 10th hole of their golf course. She was pretty sizable, but she never bothered anyone; she sunned herself and casually watched golfers. After a few weeks, they had her removed and taken across the state, hours away to a preserve near Sarasota, where she was released.

Weeks later, she was back at the 10th hole. She loved it there. She actually swam down the Gulf of Mexico coastline, around the Keys, through the Florida Bay, up into Biscayne Back and back to their development. Same damn gator. They had to remove her again. I don't know where exactly they took her, but she never came back.

I don't know how you can keep nature out... especially right in the middle of a fertile alligator breeding area.
Thats amazing.

I know that my two trips to WDW, no one ever mentioned, "hey by the way, there are alligators around. Keep an eye out." I kind of thought they weren't in the Orlando area and were down in the south in the Everglades. What do we know? You need to tell us these things!

Old 06-15-16, 11:07 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I know this is probably insensitive, but is it really necessary to find the child's remains inside a gator? Isn't it just better left to a grim imagining?