Reload this Page >

Finding interesting stuff you forgot you owned

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-11-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was cleaning out old files and papers in my office and came across this. The one and only time I was in the WTC was in 1987 even though I go to NY to visit family every couple of years. They probably made millions of these and I'm sure people just trashed them after taking them home. Kind of glad now that I didn't.

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 06-11-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Finding interesting stuff you forgot you owned

I recently was going through an old backpack a couple days ago and discovered maps of hikes we did on our honeymoon in Costa Rica. Forgot I even kept them. Almost 11 years ago.
Old 06-11-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty cool.
Old 06-11-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Few years ago I was going through some boxes and found a large manila envelope from Air Force One (the plane, not the movie). Inside the envelope were items from the plane: A brochure with info about the plane, napkin with the presidential seal, etc.

There was a couple my (then) wife and I knew back in my Navy days. We were neighbors in base housing. The wife was having an affair with a crewmember of Air Force One. They met when the couple was stationed in D.C. I won't say the time frame or where this was at when we knew the couple to avoid any possible weirdness. Anyway, she got me the swag and I totally forgot I had it. I actually got to meet the affair guy. I was at the base exchange and they were there too. Quick introductions, no questions.

Here's an interesting tidbit of information: Most of you have seen her husband. He appeared in the movie Top Gun. It was during the opening sequence on the flight deck where the crew is launching the Tomcats. There's a quick shot of him, though I wouldn't have recognized him since he had all his flight deck gear on
Old 06-11-16, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be posting in this thread.
Old 06-11-16, 06:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Way too often. Today I found a spindle of blank CDs I probably haven't used this century.
Old 06-12-16, 02:05 AM

Completely forgot that I had commissioned an exact replica of the Magnum, PI Team Ring in 14 karat gold way back in 2000. Found it last week in storage never worn and in pristine condition. Cost be around $500 back then, I'm certain it's worth quite a bit more now.
Old 06-12-16, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some interesting finds that I'd forgotten I owned:

the complete original MS-DOS 1.1 floppies, manual, box, the works, from 1982. Still looks brand new, no signs of age at all.

A booklet entitled "Survival Under Atomic Attack" published by the department of Civil Defense in 1951.

Complete original hospital records, bills, OR reports from when I was born... Came to $19,436 in 1969 dollars. The itemized statement runs to 23 pages, and is printed on that old primitive font from the late '60s-70s... (the font the numbers on checking accounts are written with). That discovery was freaky.
Old 06-12-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Commodore 64 with about 50 games
Model cars still in the box, never touched
Blow up Hulk Hogan bop bag from the movie No Holds Barred
Light up Robocop display box that used to hang in a video store window
Atari 2600 with about 10 games
About 50-75 record albums
Over 1,000 wrestling magazines in perfect condition dating back to the 60's
Star Wars Droid Factory
2 Star Wars board games
Toy spaceship with robot inside still in the box in perfect condition

Things I remember having but haven't been able to find yet:

Colecovision, found 2 steering wheels but cannot find the system or the games
Boba Fett figure from when it was first released
Steve Austin doll, the Bionic man not the wrestler
Old 06-12-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
Commodore 64 with about 50 games
Model cars still in the box, never touched
Blow up Hulk Hogan bop bag from the movie No Holds Barred
Light up Robocop display box that used to hang in a video store window
Atari 2600 with about 10 games
About 50-75 record albums
Over 1,000 wrestling magazines in perfect condition dating back to the 60's
Star Wars Droid Factory
2 Star Wars board games
Toy spaceship with robot inside still in the box in perfect condition

Things I remember having but haven't been able to find yet:

Colecovision, found 2 steering wheels but cannot find the system or the games
Boba Fett figure from when it was first released
Steve Austin doll, the Bionic man not the wrestler
Exactly how do you forget that you own over 1,000 magazines? Forgetting that you own a particular issue of a magazine, I can see...but forgetting that you own that many?
Old 06-13-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The wife was having an affair with a crewmember of Air Force One. They met when the couple was stationed in D.C. I won't say the time frame or where this was at when we knew the couple to avoid any possible weirdness.

Most of you have seen her husband. He appeared in the movie Top Gun. It was during the opening sequence on the flight deck where the crew is launching the Tomcats. There's a quick shot of him, though I wouldn't have recognized him since he had all his flight deck gear on

I won't get specific with which 4-to-8-year span this may have happened in, because then you might be able to identify the man. However, you can easily see him in the movie Top Gun in this specific scene, doing this specific thing!
Old 06-13-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PileOfFudge View Post

Completely forgot that I had commissioned an exact replica of the Magnum, PI Team Ring in 14 karat gold way back in 2000. Found it last week in storage never worn and in pristine condition. Cost be around $500 back then, I'm certain it's worth quite a bit more now.
About 4 times as much for the materials. Assuming part of the $500 you paid was labor and markup. So you should easily get $1000 for it, assuming it's 25g.
Old 06-13-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post

I won't get specific with which 4-to-8-year span this may have happened in, because then you might be able to identify the man. However, you can easily see him in the movie Top Gun in this specific scene, doing this specific thing!
Yeah, last night I was thinking about that but didn't edit since no one seemed to notice. I forgot most don't log in over the weekend.

But, good catch. I do believe she eventually left her husband for the other guy. I have no idea if they're still together.
Old 06-13-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
Exactly how do you forget that you own over 1,000 magazines? Forgetting that you own a particular issue of a magazine, I can see...but forgetting that you own that many?
He's the Alan Smithee of magazines.

Back in 2000 I bought a piece of art from The Crow creator J O'Barr at a convention. I framed it, and packed it up to take home with a bunch of stuff when I graduated from college. In the move, it seemed to get lost.

A year or two back I had to look for something in my parents' attic and found it tucked behind a bunch of other stuff.
Old 06-13-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Way too often. Today I found a spindle of blank CDs I probably haven't used this century.
I threw away 4 spindels last month along with 3 garbage bags full of stuff I forgot I owned and no longer needed.
Old 06-14-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I recently was going through an old backpack a couple days ago and discovered maps of hikes we did on our honeymoon in Costa Rica. Forgot I even kept them. Almost 11 years ago.
We've always wanted to visit Costa Rica, but we've heard that the locals aren't very friendly toward non-locals.
Old 06-14-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found an envelope filled with pix of Aya Matsuura that I got at some J-pop event I'd completely forgotten about. Here's four of them:

Old 06-14-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found Jimmy Hoffa!!
Old 06-14-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I'll have something to contribute to this thread when I get around to cleaning up again, and especially when I finally move. Was just thinking about some movie I wanted to see and then randomly finding it on my shelf, having never remembered buying it.
Old 06-14-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I'll have something to contribute to this thread when I get around to cleaning up again, and especially when I finally move. Was just thinking about some movie I wanted to see and then randomly finding it on my shelf, having never remembered buying it.
Alan, when it gets to the point that you can't even 'get around to' posting something, it's time to make some adjustments!
Old 06-14-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please post a picture of the current state of your bathroom.
Old 06-14-16, 09:51 PM

Look forward to reading that in 2019.
Old 06-15-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-15-16, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if anyone would consider it "interesting", but when I moved I lost a small cache of some of my favorite music CDs. Most were original CDs I bought back in the 80s. Many came from the UK, and not only lacked the "parental advisory" and "FBI copyright warning" labels most modern discs have, these CDs predated barcodes, too. I guess the British music industry was slow to adopt bar codes: This Mortal Coil's It'll End in Tears came out in 1984 and Filigree & Shadow came out in 1986. Both lack bar codes. Also in the cache was a Bananarama CD I bought while on vacation in Australia that had immense sentimental value.

I didn't miss the music at all: I'd either ripped them before losing them, or bought downloadable versions from iTMS. Still, it was really cool getting those bits of my high school self back: I found them in a box while cleaning up my office a while back.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 06-16-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 10:20 AM

While cleaning out my old bedroom, I found this old Dodgers line up card from 1990.

[IMG][/IMG]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.