Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the coolest vacation you were on that you don't remember?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-06-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you don't remember it because you were on peyote, or you suffer from CTE, or you were a toddler.

Mine was probably Mexico City.
Old 06-06-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: What's the coolest vacation you were on that you don't remember?

I remember all of mine. Even if I was wasted. Even the ones from my childhood I remember. Not that they were many in those days.
Old 06-06-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I supposedly went through or around Las Vegas in 1973, but I was roughly a year old so I don't remember any of it. I finally went back in 2014 and it looked completely different from what I know about the place. Wish I had pictures, but my parents said they didn't even stop there- they weren't into the "scene" there at all, we went camping in Death Valley instead.
Old 06-06-16, 03:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have a great memory, pretty lousy actually, but my family took so few vacations when I was a kid that there is nothing to forget from back then.

When I drank, I'd have memory gaps of maybe 8 hours, but otherwise remember at least something of every trip as a teen+.
Old 06-06-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disney World at age 2. Don't remember a thing about it, just my parent's frequent recollection of their station wagon overheating on the way to Orlando. Still haven't been back.
Old 06-06-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

It may have been the time I was abducted by the CIA, but I don't remember (dang mind control beams).
Old 06-06-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mom, uncle, sis and I drove to Daytona Beach when I was a little kid (dad was flying down a couple days later, when he could get away from the office). The hotel had a "game room" with several pinball machines. I took a $5 bill from my mom's wallet, changed it into a quarters at the front desk and treated myself (and some random kids) to free pinball. But to this very day, my mom insists that I took a $50 bill out of her wallet. I hate to disagree, but I remember asking the lady at the front desk how many quarters I could get for a fiver, and she said 20. I put them in my pockets and walked to the game room. I'm certain that no hotel employee would give a 4-5 year old kid ten rolls of quarters... I'm not sure how many hotels would even have ten rolls of quarters on hand to just give away, even in the cash-heavy 1970s. I'm also not sure I could have easily carried ten rolls of quarters any great distance. Plus, as I remember it, my great "pinball spree" lasted an hour, tops. Probably not even that long. I'm pretty sure $50 would have lasted much longer than that.

TL;DR: My mom is full of shit, but I was too young to "prove it".

EDIT: This matters became mom claimed I "ruined" the first couple days of the vacation, that we "couldn't eat" until Dad came down a couple days later. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine my dad would only give my mom $50 for 2-3 days of vacation expenses, even though $50 in 1975 is worth $222.52 in 2015 dollars. Mom also had credit cards, and there was a restaurant on-site where we ate breakfast every day (and likely charged it to the room, even after Dad arrived.)

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 06-06-16 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 04:38 PM

I don't remember...............................
Old 06-06-16, 05:24 PM

when I was a kid, we went to Disney land and Disney world. I have no memory of it outside of some pictures.. I need to go as an adult.
Old 06-06-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once went to Mars and met an athletic slutty woman and a bunch of weird looking people having some issue about air. All I remember is telling some armless guy that I would see him at the party. Strange.
Old 06-06-16, 06:27 PM

That one time in Amsterdam ...
Old 06-07-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

How the hell am I supposed to know?!

Although, there was one time we were supposedly driving through one of those western desert states ... I thought that it only took a few minutes, but it was days later before we arrived at our destination. Weird.
Old 06-07-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The last thing I remember is that I was looking at these weird lights in the sky at night. After that, I woke up three days later in a crop circle a couple of towns over. And my ass hurt.
Old 06-07-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My mother swears we went to Florida when I was 12.

It wasn't a vacation, really, but a family matter. The only thing I have a memory of that might be part of the trip is throwing up on someone in a Piper plane.
Old 06-07-16, 12:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was three or so my family went to Miami Beach and stayed at the Fontainebleau (as featured in Goldfinger.) I've ssen the photos many times but I don't actually remember it. Of course, it was fifty years ago.
Old 06-07-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not a vacation but my parents rented a "view house" (cantilevered off a steep hillside) for a year in Berkeley, CA while my dad was briefly teaching at Cal. My mother still talks about it, apparently it had an amazing view and backed up to the redwoods of Tilden Park. She loved living there and was sad to leave. I was maybe 3 when we lived there. I have very fleeting memories of it: some sea lions at a beach (I think Stinson Beach), a minor earthquake, a trip to Napa, TravelTown on a trip to LA...
Old 06-07-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a credit card receipt from a company called "Total Recall", and my hot wife suddenly attacked me one evening after work, but other than that I don't remember much.
Old 06-07-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No idea
Old 06-07-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I have a credit card receipt from a company called "Total Recall", and my hot wife suddenly attacked me one evening after work, but other than that I don't remember much.
Get your ass to Mars!
Old 06-07-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
There's already a Total Recall joke in this thread, 7 posts above yours.
Old 06-07-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1990 and 2012!
Old 06-13-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, here's one: I bought a book back in '95 or '96: Great Harry, a biography of Henry VIII. I've tried reading the book several times, but every time I get about 70 pages in and quit. Anyway, the last time I took the book off the bookshelf - in 2009 or 2010 - I noticed that I'd used a boarding pass as a bookmark... from a flight to Cincinnati I have NO MEMORY OF WHATSOEVER. I actually emailed my ex-GF to see if she remembered me taking any such flights; when we first got together, she was finishing college in Canton, Ohio. But both of us remembered me flying from Atlanta to Cleveland twice, and flying into Pittsburgh three times (US Air had a hub in Pittsburgh, so flights were cheap). We went through all the flights we took together, and they were all direct flights: London, Chicago, Las Vegas, Newark, Ft. Lauderdale... no Cincinnati anywhere.

???
Old 06-13-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Oh, here's one: I bought a book back in '95 or '96: Great Harry, a biography of Henry VIII. I've tried reading the book several times, but every time I get about 70 pages in and quit. Anyway, the last time I took the book off the bookshelf - in 2009 or 2010 - I noticed that I'd used a boarding pass as a bookmark... from a flight to Cincinnati I have NO MEMORY OF WHATSOEVER. I actually emailed my ex-GF to see if she remembered me taking any such flights; when we first got together, she was finishing college in Canton, Ohio. But both of us remembered me flying from Atlanta to Cleveland twice, and flying into Pittsburgh three times (US Air had a hub in Pittsburgh, so flights were cheap). We went through all the flights we took together, and they were all direct flights: London, Chicago, Las Vegas, Newark, Ft. Lauderdale... no Cincinnati anywhere.

???
Did you buy the book used?
Old 06-13-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. Brand new at the old Oxford Books on Pharr Road in Atlanta. Besides, the boarding pass has my name on it. But not a date, which would be helpful.

EDIT: I eventually did end up going to Cincinnati, as a layover on the way back from Vegas in 2014. NOTHING about the place seemed familiar at all. I know airports are kind of all the same, but this place rang no bells whatsoever. So I dunno what happened or where I was going back in 1995 or 1996. As a trivia nerd, I was mildly excited that the Cincinnati airport is actually in Kentucky, and I can't imagine having gone there years ago and not making the most of that little factoid.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 06-13-16 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Not a vacation but my parents rented a "view house" (cantilevered off a steep hillside) for a year in Berkeley, CA while my dad was briefly teaching at Cal. My mother still talks about it, apparently it had an amazing view and backed up to the redwoods of Tilden Park. She loved living there and was sad to leave. I was maybe 3 when we lived there. I have very fleeting memories of it: some sea lions at a beach (I think Stinson Beach), a minor earthquake, a trip to Napa, TravelTown on a trip to LA...
Holy crap, Tilden Park, Stinson Beach! My mom still talks with fondness about those places 50 years after she and Dad were at Berkeley, where he was getting his PhD.