Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iron

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iron

Old 06-01-16, 05:16 PM
Political Exile

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is disgusting.

Apparently, in New York City, it's illegal to defend your wife from the scumbag who is trying to rape her.

What was the husband supposed to do - call the police so they could fill out the paperwork after his wife was raped?

http://nypost.com/2016/05/31/husband...pist-to-death/

May 31, 2016

Bronx cabby Mamadou *Diallo was looking for a parking spot outside his building when he got a call from his wife that filled him with shock and fury.

She said a stranger had just tried to rape her in their apartment — and was still upstairs.

Diallo grabbed a tire iron and did what most husbands in the same situation would do: He rushed to his wife’s aid and then bludgeoned the pervert.

The attack killed career criminal Earl Nash, 43 — and left *Diallo facing assault and weapons charges Tuesday.

“He threatened my wife,” *Diallo explained as he was led out of the 42nd Precinct station house in handcuffs.

“He threatened my wife,” he said again.

Nash first knocked on the *Diallos’ apartment door in Clare*mont Village at about 9:15 p.m. Monday. The livery cabby’s wife, Nenegale — who was home with a female cousin — assumed it was her 16-year-old son.

When she saw it was a stranger, “she went to shut the door, and the guy pushed in the door and then punched her,” said Mamadou’s brother, Ibrahima, 52.

“I don’t want money — I’m going to rape you,” Nash told her, according to an account Nenegale gave to DNA Info.

Nash slugged her in the face several times before ripping off her clothes and tossing her to the floor, police sources said.

“Please, anything you want, I give you,” Nenegale remembered saying, while being pummeled by Nash. He even hit her with a chair, she said.

“He broke all of my clothes. I had no clothes at the time,” Nenegale explained. “[I was] very dizzy at the time.”

Nenegale’s cousin helped fight Nash off, and the half-naked woman called her husband.

“I took my phone and see my husband’s number first,” Nenegale said. “I pressed the number. I made a loud noise, screaming, ‘Please, help me! Help me! Call the police!’ Then he slapped me again. The phone [was] falling, but I was making noise so my husband could hear the noise.”

Mamadou Diallo — a native of Guinea and a longtime livery driver — was hunting for a parking spot on the street and ran inside with the tire iron, fearing for his wife’s life.

He took an elevator to the sixth floor — where he came face to face with Nash, who was shirtless in the hallway.

Surveillance footage shows Mamadou walk past Nash, but wheel around when Nenegale pointed him out as the attacker.

The enraged husband swung the weapon at Nash — driving him into the elevator. He followed with several more blows, in a beating that lasted up to two minutes, sources said.

Nash fought back with a belt, but the pounding left him with a fractured skull, sources said.

Emergency responders rushed Nash, who also had severe body trauma, to Lincoln Hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Diallo was initially charged with manslaughter by cops, but during his arraignment at Bronx Criminal Court, the charges were dropped to two counts of assault, harassment and criminal possession of a weapon.

“This was not an offense where the defendant committed an aggressive act,” defense attorney Anthony Michaels said. “This was an attack on his family, in his house under extreme circumstances.”

At the hearing, which was attended by more than a dozen members of Diallo’s family and mosque, prosecutors didn’t ask for bail, and instead said they would agree to whatever Judge Julio Rodriguez thought was best. He released Diallo on his own *recognizance.

“It was self-defense,” said his 22-year-old son, who didn’t give his name. “Anyone would have done the same to protect their family. You’re going to defend them. Who wouldn’t do that to protect their wife or mom?”

Diallo’s brother agreed — saying he, too, believed his sibling’s actions were justified.

“I don’t think he’s going to be charged,” Ibrahima said. “Somebody comes to your house to kill you, what do you do? It’s your last minute — you do everything to survive.”

Diallo’s nephew described him on Tuesday as a devoted family man, saying he made a tragic mistake in the heat of the moment.

“My uncle, he didn’t intend to take anybody’s life,” the nephew said, refusing to be named. “Any one of us in that position would do the same thing to protect their family.”

A close friend of Diallo’s said he was a “good guy” who worked hard as a livery cab driver for 20 years.

“He’s been in this country 27 years and never had a problem with anyone,” said the friend, adding that Diallo is “innocent.”

Diallo’s neighbor said that “he did what he was supposed to do.”

“I saw him right after it happened,” he said. “He saw his wife with the blood and screaming for his help, and he did the right thing.”
Old 06-01-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iro

I'm, as I often do when grundle posts, guessing there is more to this story.
Old 06-01-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iro

When I'm stuck with a tire iron that's grey and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out Diallo
So you gotta hang on
'til Diallo, come what may!
Diallo, Diallo, I love ya, Diallo
You're only a day away!

When I'm stuck with a tire iron that's grey and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say oh

The sun will come out Diallo
So you got to hang on 'til Diallo, come what may!
Diallo, Diallo, I love you Diallo
You're only a day away

Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow
You're only a day away ...
Old 06-01-16, 06:20 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
At the time the guy beat the attacker to death, his wife was no longer facing an imminent threat. He went looking for the attacker, and bludgeoned him to death for what he had done a few moments before. It would be a lot different had he run into the apartment to find the attacker still going after his wife - then he would have been justified in using deadly force. I'm sympathetic and I understand the husband's reaction, but he went looking for the guy and killed him after the attempted rape was over. He should have just knocked the wind out of the guy and waited for the police.

Last edited by Bandoman; 06-01-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
At the time the guy beat the attacker to death, his wife was no longer facing an imminent threat. He went looking for the attacker, and bludgeoned hm to death for what head done a few moments before. It would be a lot different had he run into the apartment to find the attacker still going after his wife - then he would have been justified in using deadly force.

I'm sympathetic and I understand the husband's reaction, but he went looking for the guy and killed him after the attempted rape was over. He should have just knocked the wind out of the guy and waited for the police.
You are SO not hired to write the next Death Wish movie.
Old 06-01-16, 06:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
You are SO not hired to write the next Death Wish movie.
Death Wish12: Keep Wishing
Old 06-01-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the time the guy beat the attacker to death, his wife was no longer facing an imminent threat. He went looking for the attacker, and bludgeoned him to death for what he had done a few moments before. It would be a lot different had he run into the apartment to find the attacker still going after his wife - then he would have been justified in using deadly force. I'm sympathetic and I understand the husband's reaction, but he went looking for the guy and killed him after the attempted rape was over. He should have just knocked the wind out of the guy and waited for the police.
I would guess US (state) law would be more lenient.

Over here, it's not only an imminent threat, but also any reaction that is the immediate consequence of a substantial emotion caused by the imminent threat.
Old 06-01-16, 06:42 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH View Post
I would guess US (state) law would be more lenient. Over here, it's not only an imminent threat, but also any reaction that is the immediate consequence of a substantial emotion caused by the imminent threat.
That's interesting. Remind me where "over here" is?
Old 06-01-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It says Netherlands in his Location field. Holland, where Dutch people live.
Old 06-01-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like he got off easy.

The last run-in he had with the cops he was shot forty times for having a wallet.
Old 06-01-16, 08:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
It says Netherlands in his Location field. Holland, where Dutch people live.
His opinion counts as three different perspectives.
Old 06-02-16, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder if he's related to the Diallo that the NYPD officers shot 41 times back in the 90s?
Old 06-02-16, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's the two-minute beating with a tire iron that got him in trouble. They probably think Diallo should have stopped when the guy went unresponsive.
Old 06-02-16, 07:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I moved this from Politics, because, despite what the OP might think, not everything is political.
Old 06-02-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the hallway technically "outside" even though the incident happened inside the building?
Old 06-02-16, 01:16 PM
Suspended

While I agree with you on how the laws were interpreted, I absolutely hate the hindsight is 20/20 and monday morning quarterback treatment after the fact. This incident, if all the facts were indeed presented, was full of emotion and spur of the moment decision. Including what weapon the husband had within reach, to how many time did and when did he hit the suspect. It's a such a fluid situation, you can't reasonably hold the husband responsible for every action because they all came from the basis of being defensive and having been provoked. Not to mention, at which point in our daily life, does a normal adult learn about the specifics of the laws. While ignorance of the laws is not a defense, that's fair for obvious run of the mill offense: stealing, assault, or murder, how would this average Joe learned about the specifics of defense he's legally allowed? Oh you can hit him just as long as there is no imminent danger. Just defining imminent danger requires at least 10 mins of discussion. How do you know he doesn't have a gun in his pocket even if the suspect isn't on top of his wife? This is where I absolutely hate our laws and lawyers. It suppose to be built on common senses, but yet time and time again people are charged against logic.
Old 06-02-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My first thought was what Bandoman posted. His was was free and clear of danger and in the heat of the moment he went after the guy.

Second thought, he did the community a favor getting rid of a low life career criminal.
Old 06-02-16, 01:18 PM
RIP

^^

Very well said, SuperJim!
Old 06-02-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I moved this from Politics, because, despite what the OP might think, not everything is political.
Thanks Obama!
Old 06-02-16, 01:56 PM
Banned

You're telling me that you're taking Grundle away from being faced fucked by the politic forum?

Anyway...

Yeah. Seems like a good move to exit out the baddie's existence. At the same time... it's an overreaction by that point based on how the events are unfolding there.
Old 06-02-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ yeah don't feel bad this rapist is gone. Yet the husband went overboard...but is hard to control yourself on those situations...so i dunno
Old 06-02-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
My first thought was what Bandoman posted. His was was free and clear of danger and in the heat of the moment he went after the guy.

Second thought, he did the community a favor getting rid of a low life career criminal.
Yeah, my first thought aligned with Bandoman as well, up until the point in the article where Diallo walked past the guy in the hallway, and then his partially naked wife pointed to him and said "That's him, that's the man that tried to rape me." That part of the story gives him a pass in my book.
Old 06-02-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, it's part of that whole "Everybody has the right to a fair trial" thing, being in range of somebody after the fact doesn't mean you get to be judge judy and executioner.

But odds are the world is a better place.
Old 06-02-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"The attack killed career criminal Earl Nash, 43"

And I'm good.
Old 06-02-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yeah, it's part of that whole "Everybody has the right to a fair trial" thing, being in range of somebody after the fact doesn't mean you get to be judge judy and executioner.

But odds are the world is a better place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.