Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iron

Other Talk "Otterville"

Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iron

Old 06-02-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iro

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
At the time the guy beat the attacker to death, his wife was no longer facing an imminent threat. He went looking for the attacker, and bludgeoned him to death for what he had done a few moments before. It would be a lot different had he run into the apartment to find the attacker still going after his wife - then he would have been justified in using deadly force. I'm sympathetic and I understand the husband's reaction, but he went looking for the guy and killed him after the attempted rape was over. He should have just knocked the wind out of the guy and waited for the police.
FFS, Bando supports rape.
Old 06-02-16, 03:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts
Re: Husband facing assault charges for beating would-be rapist to death with tire iro

If someone tried to rape my wife and I had ready access to a tire iron and the means to use it on her would-be attacker, I'd be hard-pressed to stop on the first whack! I'm not so sure I'd even want to try...

Last edited by kd5; 06-02-16 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

While I obviously wouldn't just let my wife get raped, it does seem like a good opportunity to finish some arguments first.
Old 06-02-16, 05:11 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 316 Likes on 194 Posts
To those who are ok with what this guy did: what if he found the would-be-rapist and killed him an hour later? The next day? The next week? At what point is it no longer ok for someone to "defend" his wife using deadly force?
Old 06-02-16, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to say after the husband had a sleep then it's no longer acceptable. If a person had time to literally sleep it over, then it's no longer a spur of the moment thing. Hey, it's not like anything it's going to change, I just like to spew shit on forum. But seriously, if you want a true deterrence against crime, let the perps in the world know, once you initiate an attack on someone, the victim or their family has all legal right to go ape shit on your ass including killing you. It's hell of a better deterrence than being arrested 2 weeks later, go through lengthy trial 1 year later, getting sentenced 1 month later, and wait for another 10 plus years to formally executed.
Old 06-02-16, 05:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 316 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
I'm going to say after the husband had a sleep then it's no longer acceptable. If a person had time to literally sleep it over, then it's no longer a spur of the moment thing. Hey, it's not like anything it's going to change, I just like to spew shit on forum. But seriously, if you want a true deterrence against crime, let the perps in the world know, once you initiate an attack on someone, the victim or their family has all legal right to go ape shit on your ass including killing you. It's hell of a better deterrence than being arrested 2 weeks later, go through lengthy trial 1 year later, getting sentenced 1 month later, and wait for another 10 plus years to formally executed.
Yeah, that's not how the law works.
Old 06-02-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

But seriously, if you want a true deterrence against crime, let the perps in the world know, once you initiate an attack on someone, the victim or their family has all legal right to go ape shit on your ass including killing you.
Lots of places in the world where that's how it's done. Tickets to there are really cheap -- give it a shot.
Old 06-02-16, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These laws that you speak of, did they exist the first day human came to existent? Even the supposed God given commandments can't be 100% proven they were written by God. I thought the whole point of my nonsense was that we ought to change the laws and declare me the King of the Universe.

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Lots of places in the world where that's how it's done. Tickets to there are really cheap -- give it a shot.
And the crime rate at these lots of places in the world? Lot lower than here in the U.S., huh? Hence my point.

Last edited by SuperJim88; 06-02-16 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm quite blown away that the attacker broke all of her clothes.
Old 06-03-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

It's just like the first episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Old 06-03-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

To those who are ok with what this guy did: what if he found the would-be-rapist and killed him an hour later? The next day? The next week? At what point is it no longer ok for someone to "defend" his wife using deadly force?
No, no, yes.

Let's face it, if the guy has a week to think about it and still thinks the guy should be dead, I have to believe he knows more about the situation than I do.
Old 06-03-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"OK guys, if everything was different, would it be the same?"
Old 06-03-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm, as I often do when grundle posts, guessing there is more to this story.
IT's all in that article and now it makes sense to me. This was described on the Howard Stern show as the husband walking in to his house while the rape was occurring. This story says there actually was just an attempted rape and the perpetrator was beat to death in the hallway apparently leaving the scene.
Old 06-03-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 404 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
It's just like the first episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents
That was brutal. What a great episode, though.

"There he is. That's him"
Old 06-03-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I agree with you on how the laws were interpreted, I absolutely hate the hindsight is 20/20 and monday morning quarterback treatment after the fact. This incident, if all the facts were indeed presented, was full of emotion and spur of the moment decision. Including what weapon the husband had within reach, to how many time did and when did he hit the suspect. It's a such a fluid situation, you can't reasonably hold the husband responsible for every action because they all came from the basis of being defensive and having been provoked. Not to mention, at which point in our daily life, does a normal adult learn about the specifics of the laws. While ignorance of the laws is not a defense, that's fair for obvious run of the mill offense: stealing, assault, or murder, how would this average Joe learned about the specifics of defense he's legally allowed? Oh you can hit him just as long as there is no imminent danger. Just defining imminent danger requires at least 10 mins of discussion. How do you know he doesn't have a gun in his pocket even if the suspect isn't on top of his wife? This is where I absolutely hate our laws and lawyers. It suppose to be built on common senses, but yet time and time again people are charged against logic.
You can't hold him accountable for the FIRST minute of a tire iron beating but the second? Probably. Especially if you know the police are on the way.

Yeah, that's not how the law works.
Old 06-03-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Screwadu View Post
"OK guys, if everything was different, would it be the same?"
It's not different at all. The law doesn't differentiate between hours and days. You don't hunt people down and kill them - that's the job of law enforcement. And my god, the guy got off with a hand slap, all things considered. The legal system gave him an "attaboy".
Old 06-03-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You don't hunt people down and kill them - that's the job of law enforcement.
Sadly true.
Old 06-03-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Let's face it, if the guy has a week to think about it and still thinks the guy should be dead, I have to believe he knows more about the situation than I do.
That's what I do when I'm looking to buy some big-ticket item. I sleep on it for a week. If I still want it, I pull the trigger (so to speak).
Old 06-03-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

I'm gonna say, if you're still at the scene of the crime,(coming or going) then it's fair game.

Now once subdued, continuing to beat him is where it gets murky. How do we know which blow did him in?
Old 06-03-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Yeah, my first thought aligned with Bandoman as well, up until the point in the article where Diallo walked past the guy in the hallway, and then his partially naked wife pointed to him and said "That's him, that's the man that tried to rape me." That part of the story gives him a pass in my book.
I think I pretty much addressed your latency question, but to be more specific, I'm not sure where I would make the cutoff, but it wouldn't be a very big window of understanding and tolerance. As I said in my earlier post, when my first sight of my wife is with her clothing torn off, pointing at a man saying "That's him, he tried to rape me," I think I'm going to lose it. I don't think my window of tolerance would extend much beyond 30 seconds. Basically if the guy is out of sight and any sort of pursuit is required, I'm going to put the burden of control on the husband, no matter how much I may sympathize. At that point, he should go to the wife and take care of her situation. But if the guy is Right. Fucking. There? He gets everything I can give him with no apologies.
Old 06-03-16, 03:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

^ I'd pound him with my shovel and yours. But I'm pretty sure I'd stop when he went unresponsive or I was otherwise sure he was completely subdued until police arrived. Of course, one never knows how far they'd go unless they were in the exact situation.

What looks like attempted or even completed rape maybe I'd stop hitting him. But if someone killed my wife or daughter, I'd remove his head from his body if I wasn't stopped.
Old 06-03-16, 04:33 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the time the guy beat the attacker to death, his wife was no longer facing an imminent threat.
I'm not sure I agree based on the following:

- When the husband showed up, the half-naked wife was able to point out the attacker. Assuming she wasn't about to leave the apartment in that undressed state -- especially after an incident like this -- that means the attacker was within eyeshot of their front door, likely hanging around the apartment common hall outside their front door. There is NO reason for him to have stuck around unless he was still contemplating a way to complete his crime.

- Not only that, once called her husband had to leave the car, and take an elevator up six floors, and this man is still hanging around the scene.
Old 06-03-16, 05:09 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

I would say the moment it ceases to become immediate/spontaneous. I'd still want to do him harm, but once I had time to think about it, I believe my outrage would become tempered by potential consequences.
Old 06-06-16, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no qualms with what he did. I feel if I ran upstairs to come to my wifes aid after her having been sexually assaulted and almost raped and the man who did so was still within eyesight Id beat him for two minutes with a tire iron too. Although I think he just kept swinging until he got tired, something I would do too.
Old 06-06-16, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

At the time the guy beat the attacker to death, his wife was no longer facing an imminent threat. He went looking for the attacker, and bludgeoned him to death for what he had done a few moments before. It would be a lot different had he run into the apartment to find the attacker still going after his wife - then he would have been justified in using deadly force. I'm sympathetic and I understand the husband's reaction, but he went looking for the guy and killed him after the attempted rape was over. He should have just knocked the wind out of the guy and waited for the police.
This was my thought at first as well. But the rapist did not leave the area. It only says he was fought off initially by the cousin. He was still lingering around the hallway and was still likely a threat to the two women. If the husband hadn't shown up, the rapist would have likey continued his attack. There was no mention in the article that the rapist was trying to leave the scene and no way at the time for the husband to know if the rapist intended to leve or no longer be a threat.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.