Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit Alleges McDonald's Drive-Thru Policy Discriminates Against Blind Customers

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Lawsuit Alleges McDonald's Drive-Thru Policy Discriminates Against Blind Customers

Old 05-31-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott Magee, a blind Louisiana man, has filed a lawsuit against McDonald's alleging that the fast-food giant's late-night drive-thru policy discriminates blind customers.

Magee claims that the McDonald's late-night drive-thru policy violates the Americans with Disabilities Act by discriminating against those who can't operate a vehicle on their own.

Magee says, "blind people must hope for a companion with a car or paid taxi services to assist them in selecting and purchasing McDonald's food."

According to Magee, McDonald's staff refused to serve him when he tried to order at drive-thru windows near his home in Metairie, Louisiana after restaurant lobbies were closed. He also received similar experience on other occasions as well.

The lawsuit seeks "auxiliary aids or services" to accommodate the blind, plus unspecified court costs and damages for Magee.
So I suggest that the main lobby of all McDonalds stay open to blind people only as they navigate the labyrinth of upside down chairs, moved tables, and a freshly mopped floor.
Old 05-31-16, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lawsuit Alleges McDonald's Drive-Thru Policy Discriminates Against Blind Customer

It's Drive Thru.

Not BLIND THRU.
Old 05-31-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Lawsuit Alleges McDonald's Drive-Thru Policy Discriminates Against Blind Customer

I think someone is culture jamming. Why is Chicago news the source of a story that takes place in Louisiana?
Old 05-31-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the words of Adam Sandler (Big Daddy, McDonalds scene), "AHHHH HORSE SHIT!!!"
Old 05-31-16, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I weigh 300 pounds. I think I'll sue Victoria's Secret for not selling my size underwear.
Old 05-31-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why the fuck is this blind dude out late at night in the first place? What kind of night life does a blind person have to be out so late because it sounds like this happened to him more than once. Seriously, I'd like to know.

Fuckin' retarded lawsuit.
Old 05-31-16, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

McDonald's won't allow sighted people to walk thru a drive-thru. He shouldn't feel so special.
Old 06-01-16, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Why the fuck is this blind dude out late at night in the first place? What kind of night life does a blind person have to be out so late because it sounds like this happened to him more than once. Seriously, I'd like to know.

How is a blind person going to always know wheather it is night or day? They're blind!!! They could be out somewhere and ask a sighted person what time it is. If they say "2 o'clock" the blind person may not realize it is AM and not PM.
Old 06-01-16, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Ugh.
Old 06-01-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do somewhat get the validity of his issue. He is being deprived of a basic service and the restaurant could easily make a reasonable accomadation in order to serve him. It's not much different than public bathrooms now have to be built with a 60" turning radius to accomodate a wheelchair bound person. There are lots of laws that require aisles to be a certain width, doorways to be a certain size, etc. This really isn't much different from that.
Old 06-01-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 06-01-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...n-camera/n9098
Old 06-01-16, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why the fuck wouldn't a blind person have a night life? Do you think they just sit home staring at nothing for hours on end, that they would never want to go to a bar, or a concert, or any other of the hundred things people do at night?

It's not just the lawsuit that's retarded.
Old 06-01-16, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I do somewhat get the validity of his issue. He is being deprived of a basic service and the restaurant could easily make a reasonable accomadation in order to serve him. It's not much different than public bathrooms now have to be built with a 60" turning radius to accomodate a wheelchair bound person. There are lots of laws that require aisles to be a certain width, doorways to be a certain size, etc. This really isn't much different from that.
Actually, this is VERY materially different. As was previously mentioned, they don't serve ANYBODY who walks up to the drive-through window. This is a common sense safety issue.

In order for your argument to be analogous, they would need to allow handicap people to do something unsafe and directly hazardous. Not sure what that would be ... shitting directly on the food in the kitchen?
Old 06-01-16, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I weigh 300 pounds. I think I'll sue Victoria's Secret for not selling my size underwear.
This would be more like suing Victoria's Secret for nerve damage caused by the lack of blood flow in your legs after you squeezed into the underwear they do sell.
Old 06-01-16, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
How is a blind person going to always know wheather it is night or day? They're blind!!! They could be out somewhere and ask a sighted person what time it is. If they say "2 o'clock" the blind person may not realize it is AM and not PM.
So blind people should sue us for not using 24-hour (military) time?
Old 06-01-16, 09:38 AM

Running a business is very difficult. So many laws and codes and other things to lookout for as well as potential lawsuits every hour.. How they stay in business is amazing to me.
Old 06-01-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

This is a loser lawsuit. Why sue McDonalds? That's the policy of every fast food chain with a drive through window that doesn't also have a 24 hour dining area.
Old 06-01-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Actually, this is VERY materially different. As was previously mentioned, they don't serve ANYBODY who walks up to the drive-through window. This is a common sense safety issue.
Taco Bell had a note in their drive thru window about not allowing walk ups and cited safety as a concern. Hopefully this lawsuit gets thrown out.
Old 06-01-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 06-01-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They should have their drive up menu in braille.
Old 06-01-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to live near a Wendy's that allowed walk throughs. That was around 1999. When did the rule change?
Old 06-01-16, 10:42 AM

I think a lot of places have outlawed walking through the drive-through for safety reasons, although I've never heard of somebody getting hurt doing that.
Old 06-01-16, 11:15 AM
RIP

Ahh, the society of the offended.
Old 06-01-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

He is down to 3 senses as he lost his sense of taste as well as sight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.