Reload this Page >

I need some lawnmower recommendations

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-30-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a TORO probably 15 years old by now. It's getting tired. The front wheel drive assembly is all worn out. The engine bogs down and stalls in heavy spring grass. It doesn't seem to generate much oomph. It won't fill the bag, it gets about a third full than just clogs the chute. My yard is only a 1/4 acre so I don't need a rider nor do I have room to store one. But I would like a big bad-ass self propelled that will power through the thick stuff and make short work of mowing.

Any recommendations or should I just have mine freshened up?
Old 05-30-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I need some lawnmower recommendations

We still use our Honda push mower. It has to be at least 25 years old. Still starts on the first pull, as long as it is properly tuned. Mostly consists of either stabilizing the fuel, or draining the fuel out during storage. All the problems we have had with it have been fuel related.
Old 05-30-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I would start by having it tuned/sharpened and see how that goes.
Old 05-30-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say get it sharpened as well but you also mentioned the front drive being completely worn out.

If you have a local lawnmower repair shop it might be worth it, but given we're going into the summer and sales will be a-plenty, you might be better off just getting a brand new mower for around $250-$350 on a special purchase plan where no interest is charged if paid off in 6 months (maybe a year but you'd have to make a purchase over $500). It should come with a warranty, which will be longer than what your repair shop will offer.

I bought a Toro myself for the home I rented. Worked great.
Old 05-30-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bought this Toro last month and I love it. I mow the lawn strolling with one hand and it basically goes by itself. Starts on the first pull with no priming and folds up easy for storage. Has a hose hookup for cleaning the underneath part.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recy...0334/100659631
Old 05-30-16, 03:31 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your yard is not too big, you might want to consider an electric mower. No gasoline to mess with, and none of those fuel-related problems. It starts easily, and is quieter then a gas mower too.
Old 05-30-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I know it's not the fuel. I completely drain every winter for storage and start with fresh fuel in the spring. I've replaced the drive belt for the FWD but it stopped working right away which meant the pulley it rides on is worn. I am debating about getting it refurbished. I would be without it for however long, pay the bill and still have a 15 year old machine. I wish they had big 30" wide mowers like snowblowers.
Old 05-30-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a TORO personal pace that is now 12 years old. Have changed the oil a couple times and the blade about 4 times. That's it, no other maintenance, still working like a champ. I haven't even changed the spark plug in that entire time. I won't hesitate to just buy a new one if this one finally kicks the bucket. 300 dollars every 12+ years isn't a huge investment. Props to Toro.
Old 05-30-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I change the oil, keep a fresh air filter on it, just changed the spark plug.

On that TORO, how do you mow around bushes and tight areas with a rear wheel drive? I usually push down on the handle. Do I have to lift the back wheels off the ground?
Old 05-30-16, 07:39 PM
Suspended

As a current electric mower owner, I have to say for the love of god, don't get an electric mower. Electric motor simply do not generate enough horsepower to deal with first spring mow or when you're out of town for awhile and the grass is a little too tall. What happens is that you will have to empty out the bag time and time again or risk the grass getting pulled from the root because the grass is not clearing the chamber fast enough. It's a fucking mess.
Old 05-30-16, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had an electric weed eater for a few years and had the same issues. They just don't generate enough power.

I have a 14 year old Honda. Love it, but it's also seeing its last days. The power drive went out a couple years ago. Repair shop wanted a couple hundred to repair, which is absurd, IMO. We've just been pushing it since. It's time to replace but the electric start Honda I have my eye on is nearly $700.
Old 05-30-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deal right now only $279. It's 7.5hp and self-propelled.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-21inc...6&AID=11042411
Old 05-31-16, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
As a current electric mower owner, I have to say for the love of god, don't get an electric mower. Electric motor simply do not generate enough horsepower to deal with first spring mow or when you're out of town for awhile and the grass is a little too tall. What happens is that you will have to empty out the bag time and time again or risk the grass getting pulled from the root because the grass is not clearing the chamber fast enough. It's a fucking mess.
Why do you use a bag? You should mulch.
Old 05-31-16, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
Why do you use a bag? You should mulch.
Mulching only works if you are mowing the top third of the grass. In the spring when the grass is growing fast, it rains a lot, that is very difficult to keep up with. Mine keeps clogging the chute. If I try to mulch it looks like I have piles of hay in my lawn so I then have to rake it all up.
Old 05-31-16, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Deal right now only $279. It's 7.5hp and self-propelled.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-21inc...6&AID=11042411
I wonder who is making Craftsman for them now? I've had mixed results with Craftsman. I think their tools are barely above Harbor Freight by now. I had an old Craftsman snowblower on tracks I got some good life out of.
Old 05-31-16, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, you have to really keep up with it if you want to mulch. It gets too long and you have to bag it or it looks like a mess when you're done.
Old 05-31-16, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have an electric mower and never have issues with it not being able to handle taller grass. We just raise it to the highest setting at the first of spring, and then gradually reduce it each mowing. It's no biggie. Also, we bag rather than mulch, since we compost our clippings.
Old 05-31-16, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Just recently, I started to mulch and bag at the same time. Prop the mulch door open while leaving the bag on actually worked quite well. The bag captures about 60% of the grass while the rest just fly right out. I know I get strange looks from my neighbors, but fuck at least my grass is not getting pulled out.
Old 05-31-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I read, Honda engines are the best ones right now.

I wouldn't buy anything from Sears if I was worried that I might use the warranty. They might not be around in two years.

I use an electric mower. My lawn is about 1500 sq ft.
Old 05-31-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If the engine runs, but lacks power, it may just need a tuneup. My mower did that a couple of years ago and tuneup made it run good as new (I tried just a spark plug and that didn't do much.)

If you do go with a new mower, I strongly recommend either a Honda or at least a Honda engine on somebody else's deck. (I have Honda engine on MTD stainless steel, self-propelled deck). Honda makes a better engine than the Briggs & Stratton that Toro uses (I had several Toros, none lasted as long as yours).
Old 05-31-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a Honda self-propelled dual-blade push mower, and it starts like a champ every time.
Old 05-31-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

For a gas push mower, Honda is the easy choice, imo. I don't know enough about brands of electric mowers, but having had electric versus gas trimmers and the like, I'd seriously look into electric with only 1/4 acre.
Old 05-31-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went in today to a local dealer and he told me what to do to fix the FWD. Probably not worth it. I can't really complain about the TORO since I got 15 years (I think) out of it pretty much trouble free. If I go that route I would upgrade to the aluminum deck, they last longer.

I don't think I could do electric anyway. Way too many trees, a pool, a couple decks, A basketball hoop that the cord would have to keep going around.
Old 05-31-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-9614...ilpage_o04_s00

That's the one I bought last year after my ancient Craftsman bit the dust.
I WISH I HAD BOUGHT IT SOONER!

I didn't realize how much the 'self-propelled' part was NOT working on my old mower.
This Husqvarna is terrific - I don't have an extremely large yard, but I have a lot of small inclinces and bushes and crap like that cut.
Easy to cut around with...
Old 05-31-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought one off craigslist for $20, 11 years ago. Still runs great.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.