Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

"Misbehaving" boy disappears in forest after parents abandon him (Update: found)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

"Misbehaving" boy disappears in forest after parents abandon him (Update: found)

Old 05-30-16, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another interesting article about parents. This time, kid was misbehaving so they left him there in the forest. Now the kid is missing and search teams are looking for him. I think the parents should pay for the rescue effort and they should be held on child abandonment charges. Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: "Misbehaving" boy disappears in forest after parents abandon him (Update: found)

A 7 year old misbehaving is like punishing a dog for breathing.
Old 05-30-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: "Misbehaving" boy disappears in forest after parents abandon him (Update: found)

Apparently, you've never been around these 7-year old demons of destruction.
Old 05-30-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tripplej View Post
Here is another interesting article about parents. This time, kid was misbehaving so they left him there in the forest. Now the kid is missing and search teams are looking for him. I think the parents should pay for the rescue effort and they should be held on child abandonment charges. Any thoughts?
Interesting, parents who actually followed through on their promise.

Nothing worse than a parent in public threatening to leave a child when they know they would never do that. It makes them look foolish and the child knows this.
Old 05-30-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet their next kid believes their threat.
Old 05-30-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I lived in Phoenix we had flash floods for a couple weeks each fall. And despite common sense and a huge media campaign there were always some idiots who thought they could drive through the rising water. Only to have to be rescued, at great risk and sometimes by helicopter.

There was talk of charging people.

I don't think charging people for emergency services is in general appropriate. After all, assuming they pay taxes they are paying for it, right? Plus I think it can be a pretty slippery slope. Do the rush get better, quicker services?

Not I thought a good idea instead of paying for the specific service, the cops could right a ticket.

As for this case, no I don't think the parents should have to pay. Mandatory parenting classes? Family counseling? Perhaps.
Old 05-30-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In New England, I know New Hampshire charges for rescues if they determine people were negligent---going out with improper gear, with forecasts of bad weather, etc.

On Mt. Washington, you literally get some of the worst weather on the planet, and rescue missions can be incredibly dangerous at times.
Old 05-30-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some children are just very difficult to handle around this age. No law will ever change that. As parents have children later and later in life, the physical demands of even coping with troublesome young boys becomes harder.

One of my relatives as a child thought it was a good idea to run away anytime he didn't get his way. I saw this happen a couple of different times and chasing after an athletic nine-year-old boy intent on running is not as easy as it sounds.
Old 05-30-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Word got out to all the apes about the zoo incident. Eye for an eye.
Old 05-30-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reminds me of when my oldest son was around 7 or so. We were going to walk around a local conservation area. On the drive there he asked where we were going and I told him we were taking him to live with the wolves. Thinking nothing of it, about 5 minutes later we heard this sniffling from the back seat. We asked him what was wrong and he blubbered out "I don't wanna live with the wolves..." I felt bad but we have a good laugh about it, now.
Old 05-31-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
Interesting, parents who actually followed through on their promise.

Nothing worse than a parent in public threatening to leave a child when they know they would never do that. It makes them look foolish and the child knows this.
Yeah, you have to be able to follow up on your threat if they call your bluff. If you aren't going to actually leave your kid in the forest, don't threaten to do so. Personally, I wouldn't leave my kid alone somewhere like that, and here's a good reason why.
Old 05-31-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

In 10 years or so this kid will be swinging through the trees and telling his girlfriend "Yamato know where Yamato go"
Old 06-02-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Update: Kid found
Old 06-02-16, 09:53 PM

Glad to hear he was found safe.. We shall see if the parents get any penalty or not.
Old 06-03-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: "Misbehaving" boy disappears in forest after parents abandon him (Update: found)

How did they know this was in fact their son and not a kodama they were bringing into their home?
Old 06-03-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: "Misbehaving" boy disappears in forest after parents abandon him (Update: found)

Hokkaido Japan huh? Shocked he wasn't found hiding in a soap factory.
Old 06-03-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

7 year old missing for nearly a week in a heavily forested area? No food or water? Could this be some sort of hoax?
Old 06-03-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My parents once left me at the mall. The family was getting out of the car at home when someone said, "Where's Nick?"

I was a teenager. I wasn't concerned.
Old 06-04-16, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
7 year old missing for nearly a week in a heavily forested area? No food or water? Could this be some sort of hoax?
Yeah, I was suspicious of the time frame, as well.

Pretty remarkable that a kid that young could survive that long by himself.
Old 06-04-16, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Yeah, you have to be able to follow up on your threat if they call your bluff. If you aren't going to actually leave your kid in the forest, don't threaten to do so. Personally, I wouldn't leave my kid alone somewhere like that, and here's a good reason why.
Because he might be found?
Old 06-04-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember visiting Yellowstone as a kid with my parents and I ended up getting lost. I found a park ranger and asked him if he could help me find my parents and he said, "I don't know kid, there's hundreds of places they can hide"

Thank you Rodney
Old 06-04-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Because he might be found?
Old 06-04-16, 01:58 PM
Banned

I was thinking the same thing. That's the obvious reason why the kid shouldn't be left there now.