DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Thief at the Post Office (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/634751-thief-post-office.html)

Max Bottomtime 05-28-16 11:39 PM

Thief at the Post Office

My step-son got a birthday card from his Grandmother today. It arrived with the envelope ripped open. She sent him $300 cash but the card was empty when it arrived. Makes me want to go postal on whoever did this.

DVD Polizei 05-28-16 11:51 PM

Re: Thief at the Post Office

Yeah, I learned the hard way myself. Cashier's check or money orders.

Was this in LA, by chance? I've had shipments of movies pass through LA, and they always are torn open, as if people are looking inside to see how much it's worth.

whotony 05-29-16 01:45 AM

It's never been a good idea to send any and especially that much cash in an envelope.

Better ways to send money these days.

GoldenJCJ 05-29-16 01:58 AM

I just got off the phone with my grandma. Ripped her a new asshole for sending me a measly $20 for my birthday. Bitch...

PhantomStranger 05-29-16 02:04 AM

I've noticed far more opened envelopes arriving in recent years from the mail. I would never send any cash through a regular envelope these days.

The general service and quality of the USPS has gone downhill in the past decade. The death of their regular business model has made it a much less stable service.

FiveO 05-29-16 05:35 AM

Is your mailbox secured? My house has a mailbox that isn't secure. Some apartment buildings have mailboxes that are locked.

If it wasn't locked or secured then someone could have gone through your mail while it was in your mailbox. Just a thought.

We get reported mail thefts on occasion. Usually just people looking for checks. Don't usually see cash mailed that much nowadays.

Jaymole 05-29-16 05:48 AM

Maybe it was a nicely designed way for Grandma to save herself $300...just send the card alone in a ripped envelope.

William Fuld 05-29-16 05:49 AM

That's the oldest grandmother scam in the book. She tells you she sent you hundreds of dollars but really she just mailed a card with a ripped envelope.

OldDude 05-29-16 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by FiveO (Post 12813595)
Is your mailbox secured? My house has a mailbox that isn't secure.

^This. My neighborhood has had thefts of both incoming and outgoing mail. We have been advised to put our outgoing mail (with checks) in "big blue boxes" not our mailbox on a post at the street. (Our postman, who is really nice, says "Just don't put the flag up, I'll still take it.)

Max Bottomtime 05-29-16 09:07 AM

My maibox is secured. My MIL lives in Phoenix and we've told her about sending cash but she's 95 and does what she wants.

The Bus 05-29-16 09:17 AM

Tell her to use Venmo like a regular person.

stevevt 05-29-16 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 12813624)
Tell her to use Venmo like a regular person.

Or bitcoin.

DVD Josh 05-29-16 10:44 AM

Definitely complain to the post master. Then file a federal complaint. They take that stuff seriously. I would file a police report and bring it to the post master. The police probably won't do anything but the PM will probably not be thrilled about the attention.

GoldenJCJ 05-29-16 11:37 AM

Right, it's the Post Master's job to "by God, get things done."

Quack 05-29-16 01:51 PM

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120423201418