Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

You have a weekend alone and a free flight anywhere in the US; where do you go?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

You have a weekend alone and a free flight anywhere in the US; where do you go?

Old 05-27-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: You have a weekend alone and a free flight anywhere in the US; where do you go?

I think somewhere in California or New York. Both are places I haven't been to yet that I'd like to visit someday.
Old 05-27-16, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: You have a weekend alone and a free flight anywhere in the US; where do you go?

I'd go to Hawaii only because it's the only place in the US I CAN'T drive to. Anywhere else I'd want to drive and stop everywhere interesting along the way.
Old 05-28-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maui
Old 05-28-16, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've done quick "alone" weekends many a time. If truely just the weekend, I'd hit (in no particular order),

NY
Denver area
Chicago
San Fransisco
Austin
Philadelphia

The wild card is LA. I've had great times in LA and swore I'd never go back times.
Old 05-28-16, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably Vegas or NYC. Hawaii is so far from NY you wouldn't be able to fly there and back in one weekend. Philadelphia might be nice as well. Do I have be alone when I get there? Because I have a "friend" in Philly that might make the trip worthwhile.
Old 05-28-16, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
It does have the Red Iguana, so it's got that going for it.
They serve tequila-flavored lime juice there! Mmmmm good!
Old 05-28-16, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A weekend would probably be spent going to Nashville.
Old 05-28-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now I want to go to Idaho.
Old 05-28-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Somewhere where there's less rain than Austin - Seattle. Which I'll be going to next weekend for 4 days.
Old 05-28-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Somewhere where there's less rain than Austin - Seattle. Which I'll be going to next weekend for 4 days.
I'll be in Seattle next week, as well.
Old 05-28-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live far away from family and friends, so LA or Wisconsin would be first choice if I had a freebie weekend.

For a "me" self-indulgent weekend; NYC.

For a total fantasy, "if I were single" party weekend; Vegas or wherever middle-age divorcees go to have fun.
Old 05-28-16, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by movie diva View Post
Maui
Hawaii! Beach and scuba diving!
Old 05-28-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
That's where my dad's side of the family lives. Gorgeous part of the country. (Hoping for an August visit.)

That said, I'd opt for a weekend on Oahu.
It is beautiful, isn't it? My parents retired there in 1984 and managed to snake-charm three of their five kids into moving up there in the years since. The oldest and the youngest (me) have been the only holdouts.
Old 05-28-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You're overselling the flight. In Hawaii, assuming you can sleep on airplanes, the time change works in your favor. You leave in the evening, sleep on the plane and arrive in the morning. Rent your car, change into swim trunks and hit the beach before lunch. Grab a plate lunch from a food truck and eat it on the beach. Check into your room around 3, swim in the pool, maybe nap and then get ready for dinner and night life. And that's just the first day.
On the way back the time change makes it so you can spend half a day hanging out before you head to the airport and still land at a reasonable bed-time
Maybe a 2 day weekend is pushing it, but a 3-day weekend is totally do-able.

That said, if you do ever come to Vegas, you damn well better PM me here!
For us, the shortest duration flights are roughly 14 hours. You do gain time on the way there but lose it again on the way back. That's an awful lot of time on a plane even if its a 4 day weekend.

Vegas on the other hand isn't bad. We've done long weekends numerous times. Leave first flight out, usually can land and be at the hotel by 11:00 or 12:00 noon Vegas time. Have another full day, then leave on the third day. Kind of a whirlwind but doable.

I remember reaching out to Gatordeb on one of my trips to Vegas but found the trip so short and my time so limited I never got a chance to meet up with her.
Old 05-28-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'll be in Seattle next week, as well.
Drinking time!! I'll be in and around the waterfront from Saturday until the following Tuesday.
Old 05-28-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

#1 -- Honolulu: I like exotic and warm weather getaways. I've been to Honolulu once (back in 2007) and liked it a lot. I also like that the local cuisine is very heavily influenced by Asia.

#2 -- New York City: I would go to see a few Broadway shows, hang out in NYC Chinatown. I went to NYC in 2004 and have the urge to go back again. Maybe one day.
Old 05-28-16, 02:01 PM

Like this :

I'm a Hawaii Kai boy as well. Travel two miles Ewa from Haunama Bay there and you'll be at my house. Grew up on Portlock, beach front (sigh). House was kinda shitty and old, but oh, that view!
Mariner's cove here. Did you go to Kaiser High?

Most houses in Portlock are $2 million plus. There is/was a fixer upper in Portlock for sale, the Henry J. Kaiser estate. Last I heard was going for somewhere in the area of $80 mill. Includes a sweet ass boat house and own dock.
Old 05-28-16, 03:35 PM

Hawaii of course!
Old 05-28-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Havoc101 View Post
Mariner's cove here. Did you go to Kaiser High?
Nope. Punahou. Private school kid. Like I said, I lived on Portlock.
Most houses in Portlock are $2 million plus. There is/was a fixer upper in Portlock for sale, the Henry J. Kaiser estate. Last I heard was going for somewhere in the area of $80 mill. Includes a sweet ass boat house and own dock.
I lived there over thirty years ago. Our house was razed and a new monstrosity was built on the lot many years ago after my parents split and sold it. I lived maybe 10-12 lots down from the old Kaiser estate. That boat house was weird. The guy carved his own channel in the coral reef so he could climb in a boat from his house and head out to sea. They weren't so Eco-Aware in the early Sixties.

The Kaiser Estate is/was the most expensive private residence ever sold in the US at one point.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/05/most-expensive-homes-lifestyle-real-estate-luxury-properties-amenities_slide_5.html

Last edited by Decker; 05-28-16 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 05:58 PM

Nope. Punahou. Private school kid. Like I said, I lived on Portlock.

I lived there over thirty years ago. Our house was razed and a new monstrosity was built on the lot many years ago after my parents split and sold it. I lived maybe 10-12 lots down from the old Kaiser estate. That boat house was weird. The guy carved his own channel in the coral reef so he could climb in a boat from his house and head out to sea. They weren't so Eco-Aware in the early Sixties.

The Kaiser Estate is/was the most expensive private residence ever sold in the US at one point.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/05/mos...s_slide_5.html
Did you go to Punahou with Obama? I remember cutting class to hang out at Punahou, to see how the rich kids were though we went to the most well off of public schools.
Old 05-29-16, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

probably one of the National Parks just to get away from crowds and traffic jams and life in general
Old 05-29-16, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've really gone everywhere I've wanted to go in the US. Been to NYC 6-7 times (a benefit of my Puerto Rican ex). Been to DC more times than I can count. Been to every city of 300 or more people in the state of Florida (a "benefit" of growing up in Georgia). I've been to nearly every state on the East Coast, and the 3-4 places that interest me west of the Mississippi. So instead of "making a statement" or doing some kind of "trip of a lifetime" thing, I guess I'd just go to Colorado or Washington state and get high as fuck for a weekend.
Old 05-29-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You're overselling the flight. In Hawaii, assuming you can sleep on airplanes, the time change works in your favor. You leave in the evening, sleep on the plane and arrive in the morning. Rent your car, change into swim trunks and hit the beach before lunch. Grab a plate lunch from a food truck and eat it on the beach. Check into your room around 3, swim in the pool, maybe nap and then get ready for dinner and night life. And that's just the first day.
On the way back the time change makes it so you can spend half a day hanging out before you head to the airport and still land at a reasonable bed-time.
You're heading back on day two, so you never get a full day.

I like plate lunch as much as anyone else, but I am not going to spend 2030 hours on a plane, at an airport, or en route to an airport to have one.
Old 05-29-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
You're heading back on day two, so you never get a full day.

I like plate lunch as much as anyone else, but I am not going to spend 20–30 hours on a plane, at an airport, or en route to an airport to have one.
If you're already in NYC or at another hub it's better. But from Rochester, everywhere you go you have to take another flight to get to NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Philly, etc. So we would have an absolute minimum of 28 hours of flight time before you add the time to and from the airport, so that 30 hour estimate is an absolute minimum assuming the flights are all on time. In a 72 hour weekend that's a big chunk even if you do sleep on a plane.

Recently when we were in Florida we took the high speed ferry down to Key West. We had never been there so it fun to look around but we basically spent 7 hours plus on the ferry in order to have 5 hours in the keys. Probably would not do that again just to claim we were in Jimmy Buffets place.

Another option I forgot is Baltimore/ DC. Haven't been there in a few years and that would make a nice weekend. Five or six hours to get there from here. Florida is good because Southwest has a direct flight. Again four five hours and you're there.
Old 05-29-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Priority-wise, I'd fly to SW TX to visit my brother & SIL.

For a "me"-weekend, probably NYC for some shows and friend-visiting.

For an all-around use of a free-ticket weekend, I'd probably make a dartboard up with cities that host amazing breweries-craft beer bars-great bottle shops, close my eyes, and go wherever the dart said to go.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.