Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Contact Lens Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Contact Lens Talk

Old 05-24-16, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contact Lens Talk

After 35 years of glasses, I am trying once daily contact lenses. After 2 weeks I've got my take out time down from 20 minutes to about 5 on average. Eye lids have a mind of their own.

Lens wearers out there, where is the cheapest/best place to get lenses?
I just paid $160.00 at eye doctors for a 6 month supply, so $320.00 a year.
My glasses are usually under 100.00 and only change every 3-4 years so this is kind of a price shock

My specs if it matters
Dailies Aquacomfort Plus
Single day
1 focal point
BC 8.7 Dia 14.0
same for both eyes

Thanks for any input
Old 05-24-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Contact Lens Talk

I started wearing contact lenses in 5th grade and am now 37 years old. Literally a lifetime of experience. When I get some time I'll add some responses.
Old 05-24-16, 08:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

typically, if you take good care of them, they can last a bit longer than the intended period.

I was on monthly lenses. They'd easily last 3-4 months when I didn't sleep with them in. I still have some monthlies, but I wear them SO rarely these days.

I wasn't a fan of dailies, as they were more expensive at the time, and I was less likely to try to make them last a few extra days (but I bet they'd last a week...)

Also yeah... you'll get to a point where it takes 5 seconds to take 'em out. just takes some practice.
Old 05-24-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm really bad about my contacts. I sleep with them in all the time, use them well past how long they're good for (Supposedly 1 month), etc;

I usually just order mine online, lens.com and the like, and use Air Optix for Astigmatism. And I agree with Dan, in a little while you'll be popping them in and taking them out like they're nothing.
Old 05-24-16, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been getting them from 1800contacts.com for several years. They usually have coupons or price discounts when you buy 2 or 4 (or more) packs at a time.

Mine are Acuvue Oasys (also have special for Astigmatism in one eye).
Old 05-24-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any advances in contact lenses in the past decade? Or some type that doesn't cause eye dryness?

I stopped wearing them about 10 years ago because my eyes would dry out badly. The air hitting them from just walking down the hall would make my eyes dry out and water, so I switched to glasses full time.

I've recently thought about trying them again for things like the gym and being able to wear non-prescription sunglasses. I used to run quite a bit, but it's so annoying wearing glasses when doing any type of physical activity.
Old 05-24-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Soon, you might even be able to take them out/put them in one handed.

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
Any advances in contact lenses in the past decade? Or some type that doesn't cause eye dryness?

I stopped wearing them about 10 years ago because my eyes would dry out badly. The air hitting them from just walking down the hall would make my eyes dry out and water, so I switched to glasses full time.

I've recently thought about trying them again for things like the gym and being able to wear non-prescription sunglasses. I used to run quite a bit, but it's so annoying wearing glasses when doing any type of physical activity.
Not sure what the advances are specifically, but I was switched from monthlies to bi weekly, since apparently these new contacts are better, and apparently prices are lower. I even got a supply of daily disposables. Haven't used them yet, since I consistently use the bi-weeklies, but those could be good for on the go traveling or working out.
Old 05-24-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get the ones included in my insurance from my doctor, and when they run out I order from Costco.

I've also ordered from 1800 Contacts in the past.
Old 05-25-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only worn daily wear contacts in the past.
What are the differences between daily wear and extended? Just their lifespan?
Are they cleaned the same way?

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw View Post
After 35 years of glasses, I am trying once daily contact lenses. After 2 weeks I've got my take out time down from 20 minutes to about 5 on average. Eye lids have a mind of their own.
I would usually use the "claw" method, using one hand to grab the upper lid while the other hand pulls down the lower lid, Clockwork Orange style. Then I pop in the contact. I would always have problems trying to just use one hand.
Old 05-25-16, 06:01 AM

The extended wear - Biweekly /Monthly ones - Do you just leave them in all the time or still take them out for sleep?
Old 05-25-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
I've only worn daily wear contacts in the past.
What are the differences between daily wear and extended? Just their lifespan?
Are they cleaned the same way?

I would usually use the "claw" method, using one hand to grab the upper lid while the other hand pulls down the lower lid, Clockwork Orange style. Then I pop in the contact. I would always have problems trying to just use one hand.
For extended wear, you just rub them around a bit in solution on your palm when you take them out/ before putting them in. Or just when you put them in.

The extended wear - Biweekly /Monthly ones - Do you just leave them in all the time or still take them out for sleep?
I take them out for sleep. Mine are not meant for constant wear. Some people do it anyway.
Old 05-25-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be so discouraged about the time it takes to put them in and out. It took me just as long as you when I first started wearing them, now it's 2nd nature and I can do it in a few seconds.
Old 05-25-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used monthlies for about 20 years, but now I love dailies. 1-800-Contacts used to be cheap, but now I just get them from my local eye place.

And yeah - I can take them in and out in literally a few seconds. You get used to it.
Old 05-25-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to wear dailies... I abused extended wear contacts for years until I developed GPC, and now my doctor has told me that my options are pretty much glasses or daily wears.

I always use 1-800-Contacts, but I have them match Walgreens (which gives free shipping and 20% off). 1-800-Contacts will calculate that price and beat it by a few percent, and the customer service at 1-800-Contacts is probably the best I've ever had with a merchant.
Old 05-25-16, 01:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I take them out for sleep. Mine are not meant for constant wear. Some people do it anyway.
This! Don't wear them overnight. Some people can handle it and don't seem to be affected by it. When I do it (which is rare now that I wear glasses way more often), it ruins my day. My eyes will feel gross that second day, and I usually get a bad headache too. That's even if I take them out in the morning. It sucks.

But I know people who would wear their dailies for a week at a time, even while sleeping, so
Old 05-25-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Don't be so discouraged about the time it takes to put them in and out. It took me just as long as you when I first started wearing them, now it's 2nd nature and I can do it in a few seconds.
For the life of me, even after 25+ years of contacts, I cannot tell when I've got them turned inside out. It's a 50/50 chance that I'll put them in backwards, then have to immediately remove them and flip them inside out.
Old 05-25-16, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ mine have "1 2 3" on them so I can see which way is correct, but you can only see it in the light at the right angle. Plus "1 2 3" upside down still looks like... "1 2 3" just with the two looking weird.
Old 05-25-16, 02:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Believe it or not, I've never tried contacts. They never worked for my mom, so I've just always assumed they wouldn't work for me. One time, she got pulled over by a highway patrol officer and he asked to see her license and registration. After he looked it over, he said to her, "Ma'am, it says here you're supposed to be wearing glasses." She explained, "But officer, I have contacts." He got angry and said, "Lady, I don't care who you know... you're supposed to be wearing glasses." [/bit]
Old 05-25-16, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

^^
Maybe it's different in some state, but every license I have seen lists it as "corrective lenses".

I'd have just said I am wearing wireless glasses.
Old 05-25-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
^^
Maybe it's different in some state, but every license I have seen lists it as "corrective lenses".

I'd have just said I am wearing wireless glasses.
I believe it was a joke playing on the meaning of "contacts."
Old 05-25-16, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Oh jeez, totally missed that.
Old 05-25-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, you should just get Lasik. It's not THAT expensive. I was scheduled to get it for $1500 (for both eyes), but turns out I have a rare eye condition (Keratoconus) that Lasik doesn't fix

Still, it's a much better option then spending money on contacts every year and glasses every few.
Old 05-25-16, 09:13 PM

I'm 42 this year. so why get Lasiks, then need reading glasses in a few years anyway. Direct quote from the Lasik eye consultation I had was I may not need reading glasses for 5-7 years, but he wanted $1500.00 per eye so that's 10 years of contacts. I'll just get bifocal contacts when the time comes.

$300-400 a year seems about the average price then?
Much more than glasses, but I don't miss the smudges, dust, and smears on the lens. Felt I was always cleaning my glasses.

PS I could insert them in one handed, but I have Obama care and they won't pay for my eye lid removal.
Old 05-25-16, 09:15 PM

Story, I never thought I could do contacts because my mom said I would never be able to touch my eye. My doc gave me a trial pair and I think I can do it. Doc said if you are determined to get contacts youll figure out how to get use to it. Wish I had tried these in my teens.
Old 05-25-16, 09:17 PM

Dan, great thing about putting them in upside down - they slide off really easy.
Makes you feel like you accomplished something.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.