Reload this Page >

Contact Lens Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Contact Lens Talk

Old 05-25-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Contact Lens Talk

I've had contacts for about 30 years. I think I have the two-week disposables, but I never sleep with them in, and put them in the disinfectant every night. They often last me 4-5 months. Whenever they start to bother me even slightly, I toss them. I probably spend about $50 a year on contacts.

That's pretty much why I've never considered lasik surgery--I have zero problems with contacts, and I don't even notice them virtually 100% of the time.

I do occasionally put them on inside-out, but I can feel that instantly and then switch them.
Old 05-25-16, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I also use the ones that 2 week. But most of the time I'm wearing glasses, it's easier for me. When I was in my 20's I only used contacts. I would even sleep with them when I was too drunk at night.

Now, I use contacts for astigmatism too. They have to be put in the right position, but there are some lines/cuts there to help you. I learned that several months after I started using them, so at first it would take several minutes to put them on. Now, I'm back to under 30 seconds.
Old 05-26-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

For those who remove every day, what disinfection method do you use? I started using Aosept (later renamed Clear Care) in 1990 and loved it. Then for some reason, last year my lenses would get cloudy after about an hour or so. I changed everything except the disinfecting brand, and it kept happening. Switched to Bauch & Lomb's peroxide disinfecting system, and the cloudiness went away.
Old 05-26-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
For those who remove every day, what disinfection method do you use? I started using Aosept (later renamed Clear Care) in 1990 and loved it. Then for some reason, last year my lenses would get cloudy after about an hour or so. I changed everything except the disinfecting brand, and it kept happening. Switched to Bauch & Lomb's peroxide disinfecting system, and the cloudiness went away.
My eye doctor highly recommended "Blink" solution. She gave me a bottle after my exam this year and I loved it, but it's hard to find. Even Amazon doesn't have the exact same one that I got from the eye doctor, but if you find it, I recommend that.

Instead I use Opti-Free which my doctor said was also very good. I used to use Re-Nu but I'm told that brand is garbage. Once I switched over to Blink and Opti-Free, I understood why.
Old 05-26-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been using Opti-Free for more than 10 years. It' s great. Widely available. I usually buy it a Costco, but you can get it everywhere.
Old 05-28-16, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw;128of their own.10188
Lens wearers out there, where is the cheapest/best place to get lenses?
I just paid $160.00 at eye doctors for a 6 month supply, so $320.00 a year.
My glasses are usually under 100.00 and only change every 3-4 years so this is kind of a price shock

My specs if it matters
Dailies Aquacomfort Plus
You can buy yours online for $223 /year supply. Almost $100 less.

I compare prices on my contacts at Contactsprice.com and just buy from the store with the best price at the moment. Prices changing all the time so it's no use to rely on a single store anyways.

Last edited by Krottt; 05-28-16 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 03:41 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
For the life of me, even after 25+ years of contacts, I cannot tell when I've got them turned inside out. It's a 50/50 chance that I'll put them in backwards, then have to immediately remove them and flip them inside out.
I'm going to be 42 this year. Been wearing contacts since I was in 9th grade. When I first got them, the eye doctor gave me a trick to tell which was the right way.

He called it the "taco" method. You put the lens in your palm at the fold between your thumb and first finger. Then slowly bring the thumb and finger together until the lens starts to fold in half. The contact, if it is the right side up, should look like a taco. If the edges start to bend down towards the palm, the lens is upside down.

And I agree completely about sleeping in them. Its the worst feeling waking up. It takes me about an hour of awake time before the lens becomes unglued from my eyeball. Even dousing it with re-wetting solution doesn't seem to help. Plus my eyes seem all scratchy for the rest of the day. I've learned that when taking long road trips that I don't wear my contacts any more. The long drive plus air movement, dries them out and causes discomfort in my eyes. I'll just wear my glasses when driving long distances. As well as around the house when I don't plan on going out on the weekend.

I wear the monthly contacts and can usually get about 4-5 months out of a single pair by taking them out each night and cleaning them in a good disinfecting solution overnight. A friend a while back had a friend that was an eye doctor and said that the disposable contacts are pretty much the same as the ones that you get prescribed one pair and wear them until they need to be replaced. I try to push them as long as I can. I do know when its time to change as the lenses will just not feel comfortable any more. Or, if there is a small tear, you definitely feel that and I know its time to replace. The small tear feels like someone is jabbing me in the eye with a needle.. Its really painful.

I can get my lenses in both eyes in about 30 - 60 seconds tops, including rinsing with saline solution. I've gotten used to it I really don't need a mirror any more to see myself putting them in.

For cleaning, I use the Clear Care stuff or or Bausch and Lomb perioxi clear.. whichever I have a coupon for or is on sale at Target.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 05-28-16 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On that note - how long is it safe to "stretch" the use out of them for? Say I wear the 2 week ones every day for about 16 hours. I've been replacing them according to their 2 week instructions, but is it cool to have for like, a month?
Old 05-29-16, 12:48 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
On that note - how long is it safe to "stretch" the use out of them for? Say I wear the 2 week ones every day for about 16 hours. I've been replacing them according to their 2 week instructions, but is it cool to have for like, a month?
The official answer from your eye doctor will be if the lenses say to replace them in 2 weeks than 2 weeks is how long you should wear them.

If you are cleaning them every night and they don't feel uncomfortable when you are wearing them, I wouldn't see any reason you couldn't push them to a month. I have a feeling for when my lenses need to be replaced. The ones I wear are monthly lenses meaning they state to replace them once a month but I typically wear them for 4-5 months before replacing them. I wear my lenses about 14 hours a day on average. Some days a bit less, some a bit longer. Weekends my wearing time is greatly reduced as I won't put them in unless I'm planning to go out of the house and I'll put them in shortly before leaving.
Old 05-29-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah sounds good. By cleaning them, do you mean just put them in solution or the "rubbing them in solution on your palm" thing? I do that in the morning, but I guess I should also do that before leaving them in the case overnight.
Old 05-29-16, 01:51 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Ah sounds good. By cleaning them, do you mean just put them in solution or the "rubbing them in solution on your palm" thing? I do that in the morning, but I guess I should also do that before leaving them in the case overnight.
For me, when I say cleaning, after I take them out of my eyes at night, I put them into a cleaner case that comes with the ClearCare peroxide cleaning solution. It takes 6 hours, at least, to clean them. So overnight is good for me. Once you put them in the cleaning solution, You can't then take them out soon after to wear again. It recommends 6 hours for the disc at the bottom of the lens case to neutralize the peroxide.

When I go to put them in my eyes in the morning, I'll take a lens out and put it in the palm of my hand and rinse with saline solution. Then a drop of re-wetting solution in the lens side that sits on my eyeball. The cleaning solution states that as long as you wait 6 hours, you don't need to rinse. I always do just to be safe that I got all the solution off. There are other cleaners that you use like you said where you rub them around the palm of your hand. I don't like those as much as I worry about tearing the lens or dropping it while trying to clean it.
Old 05-29-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah okay- in that case I do the same with Opti Free overnight/rinse off.

I use Refresh tears on my eyes (with no lenses of course) if they're dry- is that the type you put in the lens before putting them on? I didn't know you could do that, but seems it could help.
Old 05-29-16, 02:27 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I used to use Bausch and Lomb rewetting drops, or Target generic.. Any should work. Lately I've been buying Visine for Contacts rewetting drops.
Old 05-30-16, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone wear rigid gas permeables? I've had my pair for 7 years now, but it's about time to get new ones.
Old 05-30-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've worn them for about 35 years and have had them all. Right now I have the mono-vision. That's where one eye is set for up close reading the other for seeing at a distance. Far easier than glasses but like everything has drawbacks. My glasses are hundreds of dollars so CL are no more expensive for me. I have wicked astigmatism so my prescription is expensive, I also need progressives, bi-focals for the rest of you, that is more. I also get the automatic darkening and low glare. Add those all up and my glasses run about $600 last time I bought.