Woman who looks like a boy

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-23-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

With all this talk about transgender bathrooms and women who look like men being chased out of Target and everything that's going on I want to discuss a person I know.

Her kids attend school with my kids and I've always been aware of her. She's very active at the school and I'd frequently see her coming and going. But lately we've become much more in touch because one of her kids and my kid are on the same soccer team.

She is skinny and very athletic. Short hair. Never wears anything feminine. She exclusively wears what I call "work out clothes", like yoga pants, t shirts, jogging shorts, etc. Doesn't wear a bra, she is completely flat chested. She drives a vintage '80s Toyota Land Cruiser. It's a sweet car, I've always wanted one myself, but you seldom see a woman driving a vintage 4x4.

Anyway I've never seen the husband and I always assumed she's a lesbian and these kids are adopted or in vitro. My wife and I have a friend who married a woman and they did in vitro and now have twins. I figured it was something like that.

Well lately I've learned more about her and it completely spun my mind around about her. It turns out she is married. To a man. During a conversation I had with her she made a joke that addressed the elephant in the room. She was telling some kind of story about one of the moms confusing her with someone else and she described herself as, "I'm the only one here who looks like a 14 year old boy. Who could you be confusing me with?" And that's just it. She really does look like a 14 year old boy who just got out of gym class.

I've never met anyone like this woman. Heterosexual, married, 3 kids, boy haircut, boy clothing, boy car, totally aware she looks like a boy. It's like she decided her "look" was going to be teenage boy. Is there a name for this?

Anyway, just thought I'd start a conversation. It's been pretty slow around here.
Old 05-23-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Woman who looks like a boy

Old 05-23-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-23-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I naturally thought of Pat too. But the odd difference here is that this woman is totally aware that she has an androgynous look. The joke in Pat was that Pat was clueless about how much confusion her presence provoked in people.

Oh and I should add that this woman has a feminine name. She's not Pat or his/her lifemate Chris.
Old 05-23-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is she Jewish?

Old 05-23-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does she cosplay with inri222?

Old 05-23-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I've never met anyone like this woman. Heterosexual, married, 3 kids, boy haircut, boy clothing, boy car, totally aware she looks like a boy. It's like she decided her "look" was going to be teenage boy. Is there a name for this?

Anyway, just thought I'd start a conversation. It's been pretty slow around here.
I wonder what her husband looks like.
Old 05-23-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
girl haircut, girl clothing, girl car, totally aware he looks like a girl.
Old 05-23-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you bring up a point that goes undiscussed in regards the TG person/bathroom issue. Enforcement. How do you enforce a law that tells a person what bathroom to use bsed penis or vagina? How do you check for that?

There have been articles pointing out this topic. That there a lot more "gender non-conforming" people that these laws (like HB2 in NC) effect than TG people. And I'm not sure I like the term "gender non-conforming" but I've seen it multiple times.

My daughter is a workout nut. And wears clothing like you say and often wears my old race shirts (that are 2 sizes too big for her). She has long blonde hair, but does roll it up in a ball cap at times. I swear if I'm around and some redneck vagina checker stops her from going into the women's bathroom, I'd unload on him.

I also know a few women really into crossfit. Their legs and thighs, calfs are more muscular than most men's. No makeup, no dress and a hat and many of them could be "mistaken" for men at a quick glance.

But that's one point, right? The TG populations is such a small part of the population, that if you going to start policing bathroom access you will be stopping a lot more cisgender people than transgender people. That's just math. That will and has happened.
Old 05-23-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post

Bangkok Comic-Con?
Old 05-23-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
With all this talk about transgender bathrooms and women who look like men being chased out of Target and everything that's going on I want to discuss a person I know.

Her kids attend school with my kids and I've always been aware of her. She's very active at the school and I'd frequently see her coming and going. But lately we've become much more in touch because one of her kids and my kid are on the same soccer team.

She is skinny and very athletic. Short hair. Never wears anything feminine. She exclusively wears what I call "work out clothes", like yoga pants, t shirts, jogging shorts, etc. Doesn't wear a bra, she is completely flat chested. She drives a vintage '80s Toyota Land Cruiser. It's a sweet car, I've always wanted one myself, but you seldom see a woman driving a vintage 4x4.

Anyway I've never seen the husband and I always assumed she's a lesbian and these kids are adopted or in vitro. My wife and I have a friend who married a woman and they did in vitro and now have twins. I figured it was something like that.

Well lately I've learned more about her and it completely spun my mind around about her. It turns out she is married. To a man. During a conversation I had with her she made a joke that addressed the elephant in the room. She was telling some kind of story about one of the moms confusing her with someone else and she described herself as, "I'm the only one here who looks like a 14 year old boy. Who could you be confusing me with?" And that's just it. She really does look like a 14 year old boy who just got out of gym class.

"Athletic casual" is the hottest segment of the fashion world in the United States. Lululemon, Athleta, etc are making billions selling yoga pants and crap. Why is that unusual?

Short hair is also trending now. But it's hard to comment without a pic. Some women just say "fuck it" when they have kids and give up trying to look hot.
Old 05-23-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Some women just say "fuck it" when they have kids and give up trying to look hot.
You should let them know this and report back.
Old 05-23-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They know who they are.
Old 05-23-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure based on the mini bulge that's the opposite of the OPs person of interest
Old 05-23-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-23-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well you bring up a point that goes undiscussed in regards the TG person/bathroom issue. Enforcement. How do you enforce a law that tells a person what bathroom to use bsed penis or vagina? How do you check for that?

There have been articles pointing out this topic. That there a lot more "gender non-conforming" people that these laws (like HB2 in NC) effect than TG people. And I'm not sure I like the term "gender non-conforming" but I've seen it multiple times.

My daughter is a workout nut. And wears clothing like you say and often wears my old race shirts (that are 2 sizes too big for her). She has long blonde hair, but does roll it up in a ball cap at times. I swear if I'm around and some redneck vagina checker stops her from going into the women's bathroom, I'd unload on him.
Metaphorically, you mean.

I also know a few women really into crossfit. Their legs and thighs, calfs are more muscular than most men's. No makeup, no dress and a hat and many of them could be "mistaken" for men at a quick glance.

But that's one point, right? The TG populations is such a small part of the population, that if you going to start policing bathroom access you will be stopping a lot more cisgender people than transgender people. That's just math. That will and has happened.
Indeed, the typical heterosexual woman wearing a baseball cap will be stopped and questioned when going into women's restrooms. It's getting rather insane, I will agree.

Thank your local politician, whether they be Democrat or Republican, for bringing restroom behaviors into the public spotlight to be regulated by Christian Enforcement and Liberal Linguists.
Old 05-23-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-23-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember someone in my high school class, who I couldn't figure was a male or female. I seriously couldn't tell.
Old 05-23-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I haven't met him but I certainly am curious.
Old 05-23-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
"Athletic casual" is the hottest segment of the fashion world in the United States. Lululemon, Athleta, etc are making billions selling yoga pants and crap. Why is that unusual?

Short hair is also trending now. But it's hard to comment without a pic. Some women just say "fuck it" when they have kids and give up trying to look hot.
I'm aware of athletic casual. Every mother in the school wears it. This woman's a little different. She'll do the black hoody with baseball hat look. She dresses like young Justin Bieber.
Old 05-23-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other "gender appearance equalizer" that often goes unsaid is obesity. Take away curves (male or female) and just have "largeness" (plus short hair and hat) and mistakes can happen.

I'm don't mean to be rude or mean. But a couple of those YouTube videos of "moms" walking and screaming thru Target were taken from behind. Remove the audio and again, would it wouldn't be outlandish to mistakenly call them a dude.

Ok, maybe a little rude, but I can't wait for one of them to be stopped from going in the women's restroom...
Old 05-23-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, we get it. You think she's hot.
Old 05-23-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Kind of like: this lady that was told off in a Wal-mart ladies room recently.

I know a bunch of the Crossfit chicks that could kick my ass, but none of them can be confused for men. (Not saying they aren't out there, it's just an interesting mix at the local one)
Old 05-23-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, slow news day in the Otter forum.
Old 05-23-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo View Post
Ok, we get it. You think she's hot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.