Florida Man Says He Killed Wife Because of Her Poor Health, Drug Costs

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-18-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://ktla.com/2016/05/18/florida-m...th-drug-costs/

A man in Florida told police he killed his wife because she was in poor health and they could no longer afford the medications necessary for her care, according to an arrest affidavit from the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office.

Police said William J. Hager, 86, told them on Monday that in the past his ill wife had told him she wanted to die, but she didn’t specifically ask him to kill her.

The shooting took place at their home in Port St. Lucie, which is north of West Palm Beach. The husband said he shot 78-year-old Carolyn Hager in the head while she slept, according to the arrest affidavit. Hager then drank coffee and called his children before contacting authorities, officials said.

Officers were dispatched to their home about 1 p.m. Hager led them to a bedroom where his wife’s body was covered in a blanket, the affidavit said.

“I want to apologize I didn’t call earlier. I wanted to tell my kids what happened first,” a deputy quoted Hager as saying.

Hager said he had contemplated killing his wife for several days because she had been in pain, the affidavit stated.

“Hager stated Carolyn had a lot of illnesses and other ailments which required numerous medications. Hager stated he could no longer afford the medications needed for Carolyn’s care, thus decided to shoot her this morning.”

Hager faces a charge of first-degree premeditated murder.
I get such mixed feeling from these cases. Is this guy a threat to the community? What good would jail do here? At the same time.. I guess they have to do something since he killed someone. Mercy or not.
Old 05-18-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Florida Man Says He Killed Wife Because of Her Poor Health, Drug Costs

If a drunk punk fuck can kill 4 people and get away with it, I'll give this guy a pass. I would not be surprised if the charges are reduced. This case would be certainly more beneficial taking to trial.
Old 05-18-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
http://ktla.com/2016/05/18/florida-m...th-drug-costs/

I get such mixed feeling from these cases. Is this guy a threat to the community? What good would jail do here? At the same time.. I guess they have to do something since he killed someone. Mercy or not.
I'd say there is more to the story. Perhaps on both sides.

How can they not afford the drugs? i realize Medicare does not cover prescription drugs unless you buy add'l parts, but what about Medicaid? Or other social services? What about the kids he called? Could they not have helped?

Perhaps he doesn't have the mental state to understand what to do? Perhaps he needs as much care as she does.

But I'll say this, if spouses are killing each other because of medical conditions that they can't get help for we have fucking lot more to worry about than who might be in the bathroom stall next to us.
Old 05-18-16, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some states like California has mercy laws, right? It is tough for a loved one to suffer and the only way to resolve the pain and suffering is by death.. Very sad for all parties that is for sure.
Old 05-19-16, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Still a better option than divorce.
Old 05-19-16, 07:11 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Prescription drug prices have skyrocketed in recent years because pharmaceutical companies know they can get away with it. I wouldn't expect a paltry SS check or the pittance medicare/medicade might pay out to cover the cost of some of this crap. Health care costs are through the roof, the doctors probably had this woman on quite the collection of expensive medications, no wonder the guy couldn't afford it anymore. I feel bad for the entire situation. I wish there could have been a better way than shooting her in the head. I'll bet that was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do before in his entire life...
Old 05-19-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't afford prescription drugs, you just need to go through87 hoops to get the drug company to help, and it is terribly confusing so that no one will actually get the help, but the company can advertise what great people they are.
Old 05-19-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I'll bet that was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do before in his entire life...
I would agree. Seeing your loved one in pain is the worst thing ever. And if you can't stop it it's horrible. I think he did what he felt was the only humane thing left to do - as odd as that sounds.

How about we let his kids decide what punishment he should get? Who else is the victim here? Married for 57 years.. no domestic violence calls ever. I mean.. just sad.
Old 05-19-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

By the time the trial (if there is one) is over the guy will be pushing 90. He had to end the suffering of the love of his life. Tax payers don't want to pay while he dies in prison.

Give the guy probation. He's already in his own prison.
Old 05-19-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Prescription drug prices have skyrocketed in recent years because pharmaceutical companies know they can get away with it. I wouldn't expect a paltry SS check or the pittance medicare/medicade might pay out to cover the cost of some of this crap. Health care costs are through the roof, the doctors probably had this woman on quite the collection of expensive medications, no wonder the guy couldn't afford it anymore. I feel bad for the entire situation. I wish there could have been a better way than shooting her in the head. I'll bet that was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do before in his entire life...
Medicare does not cover prescription drugs unless the individual buys Part D (if I remember right). But to buy Part D you also have to buy Parts B and C or get a "gap" plan. These are subsidized but then cover a person more like a regular health insurance plan (similar to something a policy under ObamaCare would cover).

I know nothing about Medicaid so I can't comment.

I'm against the mandate that requires us all to have a health insurance plan that meet ObamaCare requirements. And I'm against in part because if it was really about getting people care they needed they would not have exempted those eligible for Medicare as they are arguable the ones that need it the most.

In other words a young, fit healthy person cannot buy a plan like Medicare (essentially hospital only coverage) that might actually make sense. But the elderly are not required to have anything above Medicare (again essentially hospital only coverage) but they could use the coverage more.
Old 05-19-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
If you can't afford prescription drugs, you just need to go through87 hoops to get the drug company to help, and it is terribly confusing so that no one will actually get the help, but the company can advertise what great people they are.
I have perscription drug coverage and the only medication I'm on was $30-$40 co-pay. I told my Dr I wanted to try a generic ($5.00 @ Walmart no insurance needed). She balked. I said I wanted to try. She left the room and came back with a loyalty card from the manufacture of the medicine I take. The same meds now cost me $20 for 90 day supply. I cut them in half so actually $20 for 6 months. No
Insurance involved.

Now, I don't get how they can charge my insurance company $100+ per month (I'm assuming since my co-pay was $30ish), but then when I bulk, just start giving it to me for $20 total for 90 days? No insurance, no nothing.

If they can afford to seek it to me that cheaply, why not everyone?
Old 05-19-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Not meaning to turn this into the politics forum ...

"Healthcare reform" to date has not been healthcare reform. It has been insurance reform. True healthcare reform would look at the way healthcare is administered and obtained.

I understand law enforcement needs to do its due diligence, but actually prosecuting is ridiculous. Until his 20-year old Indiana co-ed sugarbaby shows up.
Old 05-19-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When a man married 57 years has to shoot his ailing, sick wife because he can't afford her medication, we have indeed failed as a nation. Sure, there MUST be more to this story (= mental illness or possibly profound money mismanagement).

How crystal clear the greed, graft, and corruption of the pharmaceutical companies shines. Their excuses of limited length patent laws and expensive R&D no longer hold water when some drugs cost $1000+ a pill and one notices that the cost of drugs has been spiraling out of control, especially since ObamaCare went into effect...

I must add "pharmaceutucal rep" to Lawyers and polticians as the most contemptable, corrupt professions.