Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Soon to be living in car temporarily. Anyone have experience or advice?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-16-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So after this upcoming weekend, I will no longer have housing and I will need to live in my car for some time. I had done it before in my youth for days at a time but this will most likely be weeks until I can find some other place to live. I do have access to a shower here at work, but any advice on the best places to go to sleep or hang out without attracting too much attention? I am no longer young or fit or healthy so I imagine it will be a lot tougher than it was when I was 20. I will be keeping my clothes in a suitcase and I have a laundry bag all ready to go to keep dirty clothes in until i get to a laundrymat. I also have some reading material and electronic devices i can charge while the car is running and also at work. I am buying a few cases of water to keep in the trunk. I have a set of jumper cables, and one of those jump start battery things just in case.

Thanks for any serious advice.
Old 05-16-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Soon to be living in car temporarily. Anyone have experience or advice?

Get a window sunshade for a little extra privacy.

What kind of car are you sleeping in?
Old 05-16-16, 11:55 AM
Banned

I did that for almost a year while also posting here.

I'll give ya some tips after I'm done with something here.
Old 05-16-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chevy Impala. Sedan. It is reasonable roomy for what it is but I am also a large man so it will be a challenge i am sure.

Thank you for the sunshade idea. didn't think of that.
Old 05-16-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have any tips but can you share the circumstances? There might be folks here from that area that can provide resources. Hope you're back on your feet soon.
Old 05-16-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Briefly, I have been living with and helping take care of my grandmother after my divorce a few years ago. My ex left me with all the marital debt and claimed bankruptcy for herself (she could have added me for no extra $ but refused) and i didn't have money at the time as i was unemployed at the time as I was a stay at home dad prior to the divorce.

Fast forward a few years (well about a year and a half ago) and I was employeed, paid off the debt and while still living check to check was doing ok. Then my grandmother really got sick, requiring at home care which we had to pay in cash and eventually she was hospitilized and passed last summer. Between the cost of paying for the home aide (who took home more than I made in a week) and keeping the house going since then, I have gotten in about 20K in debt, my credit score went from around 450 at its lowest, to a little over 700 about 18 months ago back to 560 as of last week. So the house was put on the market and sold in 1 day. The executors (my aunts) had originally given me until the end of the month because the closing is June 2nd. Now they told me I have to be out by this Saturday. They want to make sure the house is clean and empty and I would be inconveniencing everyone if they had to come memorial day weekend.

So i am putting my stuff in storage for the time being and will be staying in my car. I cant afford to live in one of those weekly motels, and I don't have the credit or any money to put as a deposit for a studio or room somewhere.

There is a bright light in that I will be receiving a share of the proceeds from the sale of the house, but not until the estate is closed which I don't know how long will take. I should be able to put down a decent amount on a small condo or even buy one outright if i can find a deal somewhere but the issue is I don't have anywhere to go from this weekend until I get the money from the sale.

That may be more than you meant by circumstances but that is what is happening.
Old 05-16-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Sorry to hear about your situation. I've never had to resort to such a thing, but if I had to live out of my car I think I'd make lemonade out of those lemons and call it CAMPING.

At least summer is coming. If you had to do this in December it would really suck. On the street you'll be running the risk of being caught by police and chased off. I'd find a campground near where you work. Usually (in California) there's a 14 day limit. Then you move to another camp site.
Old 05-16-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a gym membership, so you can take showers. Planet Fitness is $10 a month.
Old 05-16-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have access to showers at work.
Old 05-16-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But are the showers at Planet Fitness individual or group locker room style? Just in case there is an issue at work. I have some physical issues that I really do not feel comfortable in an open shower situation if i can avoid it.
Old 05-16-16, 12:48 PM

To maintain your sanity, you could treat yourself to a night at a budget motel once a week (if your budget allows it). Get yourself a hooker and some blow, and you'll totally forget about the suckiness of your situation.
Old 05-16-16, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Briefly, I have been living with and helping take care of my grandmother after my divorce a few years ago. My ex left me with all the marital debt and claimed bankruptcy for herself (she could have added me for no extra $ but refused) and i didn't have money at the time as i was unemployed at the time as I was a stay at home dad prior to the divorce.

Fast forward a few years (well about a year and a half ago) and I was employeed, paid off the debt and while still living check to check was doing ok. Then my grandmother really got sick, requiring at home care which we had to pay in cash and eventually she was hospitilized and passed last summer. Between the cost of paying for the home aide (who took home more than I made in a week) and keeping the house going since then, I have gotten in about 20K in debt, my credit score went from around 450 at its lowest, to a little over 700 about 18 months ago back to 560 as of last week. So the house was put on the market and sold in 1 day. The executors (my aunts) had originally given me until the end of the month because the closing is June 2nd. Now they told me I have to be out by this Saturday. They want to make sure the house is clean and empty and I would be inconveniencing everyone if they had to come memorial day weekend.

So i am putting my stuff in storage for the time being and will be staying in my car. I cant afford to live in one of those weekly motels, and I don't have the credit or any money to put as a deposit for a studio or room somewhere.

There is a bright light in that I will be receiving a share of the proceeds from the sale of the house, but not until the estate is closed which I don't know how long will take. I should be able to put down a decent amount on a small condo or even buy one outright if i can find a deal somewhere but the issue is I don't have anywhere to go from this weekend until I get the money from the sale.

That may be more than you meant by circumstances but that is what is happening.
A couple of options to explore:
--sublet a room from a university student. Many of them will be leaving for vacations/internships, so you might be able to get something cheap.
--look for caretaker rooms: sometimes older people offer subsidized/rent-free rooms in their houses in exchange for some help with errands.
Old 05-16-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
To maintain your sanity, you could treat yourself to a night at a budget motel once a week (if your budget allows it). Get yourself a hooker and some blow, and you'll totally forget about the suckiness of your situation.
I was planning on doing that maybe once every 3-4 days. The motel, not the later. Not interest in those anymore. But the idea is solid!
Old 05-16-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. I'm in Kansas or I'd be glad to offer my spare bedroom.

Since this is a temporary situation, I think you should look into homeless shelters. Yeah, I know, you get stolen blind in them, but you have a car that you could lock stuff up in before you enter the shelter. Since you're employed, you could offer to make a regular donation to cover the cost of your stay. This is the kind of situation that shelters are meant for in my opinion.
Old 05-16-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shelters and make sure you hit up the local social services offices and see if you can get on the dole. They may also help you with section 8 housing or at least get you into the system.
Old 05-16-16, 01:10 PM

I don't know you or your situation, but I am not sure why you aunts will not allow you to live with them for the time being. Maybe they don't live close to where you work? Maybe there is some "bad blood" between you and your relatives?

I've lived in my car and parking on streets where drivers of eighteen wheelers park and sleep was a good option for me. Not sure of what's around your location, however.
Old 05-16-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
A couple of options to explore:
--sublet a room from a university student. Many of them will be leaving for vacations/internships, so you might be able to get something cheap.
--look for caretaker rooms: sometimes older people offer subsidized/rent-free rooms in their houses in exchange for some help with errands.
I have looked around for some rooms but nothing really in my budget.

Between my work schedule and having my kids I don't really have much time to run errands or help out. I work from 8AM-7PM every day minimum sometimes longer. I also work on weekends and I wouldn't want someone to be depending on me and not be able to come through because i am stuck at work.
Old 05-16-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I would go to a church. There is a church program near me that hosts the homeless every night. There's dinner, restrooms, they sleep, coffee and a banana in the morning, and then you have to be out by 8:00 am. A certain church hosts it for a week and then it's at another church and it rotates year round.
Old 05-16-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Shelters and make sure you hit up the local social services offices and see if you can get on the dole. They may also help you with section 8 housing or at least get you into the system.
I tried with the housing authority but apparently I make 2K over the maximum for an individual. Never mind that half my take home pay goes to child support to my ex who makes literally 4 times my salary plus her new husbands salary. I am not complaining about paying it but the system can be a little unfair.

Another issue is that I just dont have the available time to hit up these services as they are only open during business hours and I am at work. I do not have any time available to me until July 1st when the fiscal year resets as I had to take a lot of my paid time off to help with my grandmother and one aunt who has stage 4 lung cancer. Sadly this aunt is not an executor nor in a positon to help me. She is in debt due to medical costs and was just rejected for a medicine costing 8K which could help extend her life a little.
Old 05-16-16, 01:24 PM

How much are you paying for child support?
Old 05-16-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the longer parking on your days off are there any highways nearby that would have rest stops? Not sure how much they keep tabs on who stays there and for how long, just a thought though.
Old 05-16-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
I don't know you or your situation, but I am not sure why you aunts will not allow you to live with them for the time being. Maybe they don't live close to where you work? Maybe there is some "bad blood" between you and your relatives?

I've lived in my car and parking on streets where drivers of eighteen wheelers park and sleep was a good option for me. Not sure of what's around your location, however.
No bad blood per se but they are not very nice people, very selfish and aren't willing to help. The only one of my aunts who would help me is unable to due to her own situation. She has a tiny cottage on the beach in Plymouth and there is literally no room for me. She is also undergoing treatment for Stage 4 Lung Cancer so there isn't much she can do anyway.
Old 05-16-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You've probably already considered it but do you have a co-worker who knows the situation? Maybe they have a spare room or a couch you can crash on. Or knows someone.
Old 05-16-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
How much are you paying for child support?
over $1100 per month. I take home slightly more than that. Very slightly.
Old 05-16-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I would go to a church. There is a church program near me that hosts the homeless every night. There's dinner, restrooms, they sleep, coffee and a banana in the morning, and then you have to be out by 8:00 am. A certain church hosts it for a week and then it's at another church and it rotates year round.

I will look into that, thank you.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.