Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Soon to be living in car temporarily. Anyone have experience or advice?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Soon to be living in car temporarily. Anyone have experience or advice?

Old 05-16-16, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Soon to be living in car temporarily. Anyone have experience or advice?

I live in my office. I know I have it better than living in a car. But I am sort of doing what you do.

1. Figure out how to shower, or wipe yourself down daily. The gym is an alright idea. I was surprised how relatively clean and ok-smelling I am after a quick wipe down.

2. Get used to a laundromat. Make sure you wear clean clothes daily (except maybe jeans).

3. If possible, just have a few clothes. Organize them in a luggage case (or a cardboard box).

4. I don't know where to park and sleep. Stay out of trouble. I was close to living in my car. Finding a place to sleep was the biggest unknown.

5. Consider buying a mattress topper for your back seat. I used to sleep on my floor. Having a mattress topper works better than anything else, and is supposed to be somewhat beneficial for your back.

6. Sleep good. Not sleeping right will make you feel awful. Don't think you're going to survive on 4-5 hours a day.

7. Figure out the AC/heat situation now. Not sure how that works in MA.

8. Like you said, going to a hotel once in awhile is a good idea. I haven't been to one in a few weeks. But it is nice to do sometimes if you have the money.

9. Don't overstuff your car with crap you don't need.

Lastly - this is the best one - just get a roommate! You know that's an option, right? Lots of people will rent a room for around 20% or 30% the cost of an average house rental. Around here, you can rent a room for as low as $300-$400/mo. Can you afford that?
Old 05-16-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I live in my office.
Does the company allow it?
Do you use a sleeping bag/pillow?
Old 05-16-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Quit it with the: I would offer a place but live so far out of state, people.
Since I can't say I live too far away ... I would offer you a place to stay, but Alan Smithee's archaic movie shit has taken over the spare room.

Davidlynch, I don't think anybody is being condescending or teasing. Yes, there are times when we are, but this isn't one of them. Otters may be smart asses by nature, but we do care.
Old 05-16-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unclejosh, you could set up a GoFundMe page for yourself.

https://www.gofundme.com/

It's basically a way for strangers to donate to anyone in need. GoFundMe does take a 7.9% cut of all donations. It's a legitimate, reliable business that acts as a go-between for fundraising. There are other services but it's probably the biggest one in the field.

It's free other than the percentage cut they take from donations.
Old 05-16-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry to hear about your situation, have you looked in to staying at a Hostel they are cheaper than a hotel or motel
Old 05-16-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

It's basically a way for strangers to donate to anyone in need. GoFundMe does take a 7.9% cut of all donations. It's a legitimate, reliable business that acts as a go-between for fundraising. There are other services but it's probably the biggest one in the field.

Slightly off subject, but I've seen many of these pages pop up over the last year or so. I've never made a donation to one. I had no idea the "cut" that they take on donations. I'm willing to bet a majority of folks who give to these "charitable" causes have no idea about this.
Old 05-16-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

Davidlynch, I don't think anybody is being condescending or teasing. Yes, there are times when we are, but this isn't one of them. Otters may be smart asses by nature, but we do care.
Yeah, I get that but it isn't a productive advice at any angle you look at it.
Just very counterproductive --whether serious, joking, sarcastic, smartass etc..
Old 05-17-16, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the go fund me is definetely a good idea, and I would donate. every little bit can help
Old 05-17-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I was young, I married to the wrong person. Needless to say, it didn't work out. When we were married, I was dumb enough to move into her place. When we split up, I had nowhere to live.

I spend two night living in my car until the police knocked on my car window about 2am and told me I had to leave. So, when I got off work, I had nowhere to go.

Then it hit me. I drove to the nearest hospital and basically lived there for three weeks. I had access to a telephone, showers and vending machines for food plus a place to sleep at night.

The trick is to move around to all of the different waiting rooms. Don't hang out at the same waiting room every night. If you do, people will catch on to what you are doing.

The waiting rooms had couches to sleep on and showers. Don't bring a huge bag of clothes with you, just enough to change when you take your showers. I know this may sound creepy, but it was either this or have nowhere else to go. I had to live like this for three weeks until I could afford a place of my own. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-17-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Does the company allow it?
Do you use a sleeping bag/pillow?
It's my office. The landlord knows and doesn't mind.

I also did it back in 2009. But back then, I had a big luxurious setup. Now it kind of sucks. But I just started a month ago, and don't plan for it to take more than another month-or-so to get back into something better.

I like living where I work. I've always wanted to build a full-on mini-apartment above my shop. No commute is great.

After sleeping on the hard floor for a week-or-so, I bought a 2" foam mattress topper. Works nice. I actually sleep as good as I'd sleep at home.
Old 05-17-16, 09:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Yeah, I get that but it isn't a productive advice at any angle you look at it.
Just very counterproductive --whether serious, joking, sarcastic, smartass etc..
You know, you're definitely right. I threw it out there (and for what it's worth, I 100% mean it), but... it's not helpful to the OP.

If you set up some type of online donation site I'd be happy to make a small donation. Not sure what else I could do to help but I'm thinking about you brother.
Even just an email address to paypal some cash over. Friends & Family option. Beats giving a bigger cut to one of the other sites. Plus, I think it's nobody's business seeing the total amount given.
Old 05-17-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Slightly off subject, but I've seen many of these pages pop up over the last year or so. I've never made a donation to one. I had no idea the "cut" that they take on donations. I'm willing to bet a majority of folks who give to these "charitable" causes have no idea about this.
That's actually incredibly low. Most of the phone banks that work for charities will take upwards of 80%. The charities don't mind because it is still new money to them.
Old 05-17-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I wouldn't. He's not a youthful female.
I am with you on this
Old 05-17-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Be warned duder, sometimes estates go batty. I wouldnt be counting on getting a check on time. Most of the time probate requires debts and creditors be paid before beneficiaries if they make a claim in a certain time period. Here in KY the estate has to stay open for 6 months and looking at google for a sec shows MASS at 1 year. I would check again with the lawyer and see if the June date is reliable.
Hmmm. Well the estate has been open since last June. There are no creditors other than the cost of the small things that had to be done to the house as part of the sales agreement. All that totals about 20K.

But good advise on checking. I was just going on what my aunts were saying to each other. I just happened to be in the room helping pack up stuff.
Old 05-17-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by auto View Post
If you set up some type of online donation site I'd be happy to make a small donation. Not sure what else I could do to help but I'm thinking about you brother. Hope you're back on your feet quickly.
Thank you for the kind words, it is very much appreciated. I know this is only temporary. Hopefully shorter rather than longer but things could be much worse.
Old 05-17-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I live in my office. I know I have it better than living in a car. But I am sort of doing what you do.

1. Figure out how to shower, or wipe yourself down daily. The gym is an alright idea. I was surprised how relatively clean and ok-smelling I am after a quick wipe down.

2. Get used to a laundromat. Make sure you wear clean clothes daily (except maybe jeans).

3. If possible, just have a few clothes. Organize them in a luggage case (or a cardboard box).

4. I don't know where to park and sleep. Stay out of trouble. I was close to living in my car. Finding a place to sleep was the biggest unknown.

5. Consider buying a mattress topper for your back seat. I used to sleep on my floor. Having a mattress topper works better than anything else, and is supposed to be somewhat beneficial for your back.

6. Sleep good. Not sleeping right will make you feel awful. Don't think you're going to survive on 4-5 hours a day.

7. Figure out the AC/heat situation now. Not sure how that works in MA.

8. Like you said, going to a hotel once in awhile is a good idea. I haven't been to one in a few weeks. But it is nice to do sometimes if you have the money.

9. Don't overstuff your car with crap you don't need.

Lastly - this is the best one - just get a roommate! You know that's an option, right? Lots of people will rent a room for around 20% or 30% the cost of an average house rental. Around here, you can rent a room for as low as $300-$400/mo. Can you afford that?
Wow, living in your office must be tough although preferable to a car. Luckily I do have access to showers here 24/7 but my company doesnt have actual offices. All open cubes even up to the CEO. so no sleeping options here.

I am also going to join Planet Fitness as recommended by others. Might as well make good use of my free time and with private showers that is a big plus.

I would be sleeping in the front seat, i dont fit in the back seat. I am 6'3" so it is way more comfortable to lie the front seat back and sleep there. I have slept in my car overnight before during trips and stuff but nothing more than that.

I figure every 4th day will be good for the motel.

The only thing that will be in my car (and in the trunk) will be my suitcase with my closes, a small gym bag which I will use to change, shower, clean up etc, a blanket and pillow. I am going to get some windshield shades as recommended by others.

I looked on roommates.com but i really wasn't able to find much but yes I am still looking into that. I can afford that amount but no more than that until I can pay off my car in 4 months and pay some more of my debt down. Once I pay my car off that will free up another few hundred a month to use for living expenses.

Thanks again for the good advice. You guys on here are making a what seemed like a very dire situation and an embarrassing one to seem more manageable and common than I thought.
Old 05-17-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I am sorry to hear that. I hope the sale goes well, so that you can get out of this situation soon. Think of your kids and its good that you will be able to spent the weekends with them.
I assume you could save your laundry for when you go to your wife house?

Thank you.

Yes she would allow me to do that if needed. I have to get my shirts dry cleaned for work, but certainly the other stuff i can do there if i want.
Old 05-17-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Since I can't say I live too far away ... I would offer you a place to stay, but Alan Smithee's archaic movie shit has taken over the spare room.

I did not think any of those offers were either false nor condescending. I think they were totally legit and the thoughts behind the offer are very much appreciated.
Old 05-17-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Hmmm, I really didn't start this post as a "poor me, please help" situation. I genuinely just wanted some advice from people I have "known" online for years now and I know there are a lot of caring knowledgeable people here whose opinions and advice I have come to trust over the past 15 or however many years it is has been.

Although it could just be pride that is making me hesitant about the go fund me type stuff.
Old 05-17-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movie diva View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation, have you looked in to staying at a Hostel they are cheaper than a hotel or motel
Are hostels even a real thing in the US? My only knowledge of them comes from entertainment and I thought they were mostly in Europe used by students and travellers.
Old 05-17-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
When I was young, I married to the wrong person. Needless to say, it didn't work out. When we were married, I was dumb enough to move into her place. When we split up, I had nowhere to live.

I spend two night living in my car until the police knocked on my car window about 2am and told me I had to leave. So, when I got off work, I had nowhere to go.

Then it hit me. I drove to the nearest hospital and basically lived there for three weeks. I had access to a telephone, showers and vending machines for food plus a place to sleep at night.

The trick is to move around to all of the different waiting rooms. Don't hang out at the same waiting room every night. If you do, people will catch on to what you are doing.

The waiting rooms had couches to sleep on and showers. Don't bring a huge bag of clothes with you, just enough to change when you take your showers. I know this may sound creepy, but it was either this or have nowhere else to go. I had to live like this for three weeks until I could afford a place of my own. Good luck with everything.
Interesting. I don't think I have been in a waiting room that the bathroom had a shower but this is something to look into for sure. The ones I have been in all had the intake window right as you walk in, how did you avoid being noticed as you came in?
Old 05-17-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Hmmm. Well the estate has been open since last June. There are no creditors other than the cost of the small things that had to be done to the house as part of the sales agreement. All that totals about 20K.

But good advise on checking. I was just going on what my aunts were saying to each other. I just happened to be in the room helping pack up stuff.
Oh its been open since last June? Then I wouldnt see a problem. I was assuming this was a recent thing. May have glossed over that bit.
Old 05-17-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My grandmother passed away last June. We didn't put the house on the market til last month and we didnt expect it to sell as quickly as it did. We literally had hundreds of people at the open house and we had 6 offers the next day all over the asking price. So they had to accept one of them.

My grandmother had no debt and owned the house outright. Well it was put in a trust for tax purposes but I mean there is nothing to pay off or anything like that.
Old 05-17-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Are hostels even a real thing in the US? My only knowledge of them comes from entertainment and I thought they were mostly in Europe used by students and travellers.
yes, hostels are a thing. They vary widely in terms of amenities, cost, etc. And they may not exist everywhere. But they do exist.
Old 05-17-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
yes, hostels are a thing. They vary widely in terms of amenities, cost, etc. And they may not exist everywhere. But they do exist.
I looked some up and they are all either on Cape Cod which is way too far away or in Boston which may be an option but after looking at the prices, it isn't much if any cheaper than some of the motels in the area. If am going to spend like 45 bucks to dorm with 7 people and share a shower and deal with Boston traffic and commute for over an hour each way, I might as well spend the $55 a night for a private motel room with a king bed and private shower which is 5 minutes from my work.

Good thinking though and might need to do it at some point. Thank you.

Last edited by Unclejosh; 05-17-16 at 01:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.