Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... need some DVDTalk Advice

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-14-16, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I'll try and keep this as short and sweet as possible... but really just looking to get some advice on my current situation.

So last year I relocated from Chicago to New York. Had the opportunity to move here with a few friends, and my job from Chicago let me transfer to their New York office. I really wanted to move here because A.) I'd never been to NY before and thought it'd be fun to try it out, and B.) look for a better job opportunity.

And while the job I had in Chicago was great (great people, the work was decent, excellent culture), the pay wasn't as fantastic (it was my first job out of school). So flash forward to this past January, I land a new job here in NYC that had close to a 40% pay increase, and it had the potential for some better work opportunities.

Well, for one reason or another, my boss at the new gig didn't like me (just two VERY different personalities), and last Monday they let me go. Was pretty bummed, but hey, I figured I'd collect unemployment while I look for another job. It turns out, three days later, I get a text from my old boss back in Chicago asking if I'd have any interest in coming back and they'd make it worth the move (salary increase, moving expenses, etc). And to be quite honest, while New York is a cool city, I don't see this place being a long term home, and was even contemplating relocating BACK to Chicago next year (nothing set in stone).

So my question is, if you were me, would you give up the reasons you left that job in the first place (seeking out some cooler and more creative opportunities) and go back to work for a company you like and respect, work with people you like, better pay, just being back in the same old same old routine. OR would you politely decline, and because it was only a 3 1/2 month experiment at the new gig, would you keep looking for one of those better opportunities in NYC?

Help me out!
Old 05-14-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... need some DVDTalk Advice

Can you have a conversation with your old boss about additional responsibility if you go back? In other words, make it clear that you left in the first place because you wanted opportunities to grow, and that you don't want to step backwards, but you would be very excited about moving forward with your old company.

(Also, Chicago is awesome; you should always live in Chicago if you can).
Old 05-14-16, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Can you have a conversation with your old boss about additional responsibility if you go back? In other words, make it clear that you left in the first place because you wanted opportunities to grow, and that you don't want to step backwards, but you would be very excited about moving forward with your old company.

(Also, Chicago is awesome; you should always live in Chicago if you can).
Absolutely, and I he is very open to that (even said on the phone that coming back would mean I can choose my title and would have more responsibilities added to it). But where the struggle is on what opportunities this company could have. I work in advertising, and it really just comes down to me originally leaving to work on some bigger, more recognized clients that this agency doesn't have.

Again, they do great work with the clients they have, but working on bigger clients could turn my great portfolio into an amazing portfolio.

And yes, Chicago is the best city in the US (especially in the warmer months). I consider it home, and will make my way back there sooner or later. I was there for eight years before I came to NY.
Old 05-14-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, go back to Chicago and get paid. Same 'ol routine vs. being unemployed, unless you're well off financially, is not a tough decision to make. IMO

Good luck with what you decide on.
Old 05-14-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If New York is not in your long term plans anyway and you have a guaranteed better offer back in Chicago.... not know anything else but what you wrote I say move back to Chicago,
Old 05-14-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely go back. Buy a house.
Old 05-14-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
If New York is not in your long term plans anyway and you have a guaranteed better offer back in Chicago.... not know anything else but what you wrote I say move back to Chicago,
Move back to Chicago but stay in NYC for another week or so while the weather is great and you can scratch off any number of things off your bucket list.
Old 05-14-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Go back. Buy only if the monthly rent is more than .5% of the purchase price.
Old 05-14-16, 01:21 PM

If there's one thing I've found it's that working with a good team where you fit in and love the work outweighs almost everything (ignoring such external things as living near friends/family etc).
Old 05-14-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember Tracy Ullman's short-lived TV show, when she would come out at the end in her bathrobe and tell the audience, "Go home!"?

Yeah, that.
Old 05-14-16, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If there's one thing I've found it's that working with a good team where you fit in and love the work outweighs almost everything (ignoring such external things as living near friends/family etc).
I completely agree with that... but does it outweigh giving up my original goal of just trying to better myself career/experience wise?
Old 05-14-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
I completely agree with that... but does it outweigh giving up my original goal of just trying to better myself career/experience wise?
You could start out trying to better yourself and get the "career experience" of being unemployed in NYC, which nobody in their right mind would recommend. If you have a job you enjoy with good people and a good salary, that's the "better".
Old 05-14-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
Don't be tied to goals made in the past when the present has new information. This is a new moment. Time to decide if that goal needs to be written in stone.
Old 05-14-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd take the job in Chicago. You can always look for another job later on. Looking for work is much less stressful when you're already employed.
Old 05-14-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like you lucked out. Ask them to pay expenses. Take job. Start later this week.
Old 05-14-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chicago, but then I am biased. I would never, ever, live in NYC.

But pragmatically, if your old boss makes you feel good about the job you'll be going back to and considering you were already contemplating a move back anyway, I would say that going back is the wise move. Hurry, before you meet an awesome woman/man/whatever and free will is taken out of your hands.
Old 05-14-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bird in the hand is better than one in the bush!
Old 05-14-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is that a video of a penis?
Old 05-14-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

If I were in your shoes, it would be back to Chicago without much hesitation.
Old 05-15-16, 08:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. A good relationship with coworkers is key, and it seems that they really like OP. Sounds like a win-win scenario, especially since he was already thinking of moving back to Chicago.
Old 05-15-16, 08:45 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Is that a video of a penis?
Yes. Yes, it is.
Old 05-15-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
If I were in your shoes, it would be back to Chicago without much hesitation.
Agreed. A good job in a good place with good co-workers beats no job every time in my book.
Old 05-15-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The pay with that company was so low because you started with them right away. People have the misconception that they are rewarded for longevity with an employer. Fact is, you took the job at a low salary because it was your first job. They company hired you at a low salary because you had no experience. Over the years they throw you a few bones to make you think "I'm making more money!"

However, you, my friend, have stumbled upon the secret. You have proven you have value and marketability AND you have a former employer who values you and now knows you are willing to explore opportunities. You now have leverage and negotiating power!

You also seem to have uncanny timing/luck ... "Welcome back to Illinois!" is the only rational answer.

On a side note, I need to do what you have done. My employer determines "market rates" for positions and then does a +/- 20% policy. Any time you promote you are automatically 20% below market rate (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't met them). I've been in my current role for 5 years (with the company for 10) and I just hit "market rate" this year. It's a good wage, pretty good perks, and great benefits. On the flip side, I don't like the culture that has developed over the last few years (new senior management). The question becomes "what is happiness worth?" I'm not abjectly miserable (most days), so it's tough for me to consider leaving a company that still offers a pension plan (amongst other benefits).
Old 05-15-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this like all the other Otter advice threads, in 2 months the OP will be a barista in training in NYC unable to find another marketing job?
Old 05-16-16, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
Is this like all the other Otter advice threads, in 2 months the OP will be a barista in training in NYC unable to find another marketing job?
Ha ha god I hope not!

Just an update, so I sent a letter to my old boss basically stating the title, salary and responsibilities I would be looking for should I return. He came back saying he was comfortable with everything and we are now moving forward to get an offer to me this week.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. It really was a tough decision, but I believe there was no wrong decision. It's just that this one will have me sailing back into familiar (and happy) waters.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.