Reload this Page >

School Calls Cops on Student Who Paid for Chicken Tenders With Two-Dollar Bill

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-08-16, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris Farley aside, lunchroom ladies are a notoriously tough crowd. In pretty much every adult’s memory they are stern, bedecked in net hair caps, underpaid, and overworked—and not afraid to show it.

But poor Danesiah Neal, an eighth grader at the Christa McAuliffe Middle School, just outside of Houston, may have had the most traumatic lunch lady experience ever. That’s because she tried to pay for some chicken tenders at her school cafeteria with a $2 bill—a legit but not-very-familiar form of US currency—and seriously had the cops called on her. Cops who apparently also didn’t recognize the bill and decided to question Daesiah.

Actually, to be honest, we don’t know if the cafeteria workers were lunchroom ladies or gentlemen—it may just be PTSD from our own particular childhoods that is haunting us. But cafeteria workers did indeed turn Neal over to the police.

“I went to the lunch line, and they said my $2 bill was fake,” the eighth-grader told KTRK-TV. “They gave it to the police. Then they sent me to the police office. A police officer said I could be in big trouble.”

Just in case you were wondering how often 14-year-old students were deemed possible master forgers at this particular school, eight students were investigated from 2013 to 2014 at Fort Bend ISD. It’s not clear whether chicken tenders were also the catalyst in any of the previous cases.

Currency in the form of a $2 bill was first issued in the early part of the 20th century and produced until 1966. Then it was reissued ten years later. A picture of Thomas Jefferson is on the front of the $2 bill and the Declaration of Independence is on the back. For some reason, it has never been in much demand, so the US Treasury has pulled back on its production. And, evidently, plenty of people don’t even think the $2 bill exists as an official form of US currency.

The student claimed she got the bill as change from a purchase at a convenience store. A team of Houston detectives took the $2 bill to a nearby bank, which said, yup, it’s legit.

Sharon Kay Joseph, the student’s grandmother, was not amused by the episode. Although a school official returned the money, grandma told KTRK TV, “He didn’t apologize. He should have, and the school should have because they pulled Danesiah out of lunch, and she didn’t eat lunch that day because they took her money. It was very outrageous for them to do it.”

Um, yeah. Seems like the lunchroom personnel of this particular middle school could use a class or two themselves—in forms of US currency.
source: munchies.vice.com

Wow.

Are two dollar bills really that rare these days? When was the last time you had a two dollar bill?
Old 05-08-16, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: School Calls Cops on Student Who Paid for Chicken Tenders With Two-Dollar Bill

I remember my mom going through the McDonald's drive-thru and trying to pay with some $2 bills she'd been saving. It took ten minutes for the guy at the window to consult with a manager before they would accept it as legal tender. I had the same problem when using a Sacagawea dollar at Kroger.
Old 05-08-16, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: School Calls Cops on Student Who Paid for Chicken Tenders With Two-Dollar Bill

I get them from the bank to give the kiddos as Tooth Fairy(or other occasions) money. Same with dollar coins. They think its pretty cool because they never see them.

So what this article is telling me is that my 9 and 11 year old kids are smarter than numerous adults in this story.
Old 05-08-16, 08:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a couple yesterday at a yard sale and the person did a double take, opened her mouth and started to hand them back to me, then just froze as I walked away.
Old 05-08-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Texas.
Old 05-08-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hbilly View Post
Are two dollar bills really that rare these days? When was the last time you had a two dollar bill?
I got the impression that the people saying Harriet Tubman should be on the $2 bill have no idea we already have one.
Old 05-08-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A team of Houston detectives took the $2 bill to a nearby bank, which said, yup, it’s legit.
This required a team effort?
Old 05-08-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
And a trip to the bank, because detectives don't google!
Old 05-08-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Hopefully this was just to make the person who complained feel doubly stupid.
Old 05-08-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The local strip club gives change from drinks in $2 bills, so the strippers get bigger payouts. I always tell my co-workers, if a guy pays with $2 bills you know where he was; if a girl pays with them, call me up and I'll ring them out...

Last edited by mh4268; 05-08-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-08-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-08-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Disappointing what passes for a "school" and a "police officer" today
Old 05-08-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

I've just started to see them occasionally because the weed store I frequent gives them back in change.
Old 05-08-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Texas.
Yes, because only people in Texas would make this mistake at least we have our teeth Margot Robbie on New Mexico: Lots of missing teeth

I usually have a $2 dollar bill in my wallet, I think they are cool. Hate having to spend them, but when I have, I've never had someone question it.
Old 05-08-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I use them quite a bit and get some funny reactions. Never had anyone refuse to take them though.
Old 05-08-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The amount of stupid people out there is staggering.
Old 05-08-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
The amount of stupid people out there is staggering.
Agreed and remember they vote!
Old 05-08-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A fellow Deputy paid me $5 that he owed me in the form of 3-$1's and a $2 bill. I spent the $3 but still have the $2 bill on my desk.

I stare at it every so often and wonder if its real. Actually I'm just keeping for the sake that I don't see them that often.
Old 05-08-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Only at Christa McCauliffe Middle School would they take an issue like this and blow it up. It's as if their brains were in outer space. Apparently any hair brain who washes up on the beach can become a cop in Houston. Really, it's as if the authorities were all over the place on this.

Too soon?
Old 05-08-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this one of those "there's more to the story" things, though? Like when everyone freaked out about the guy arrested at Best Buy for trying to use 57 $2 bills to pay for a car stereo installation (that was originally supposed to be free). It wasn't the existence of the $2 bills that worried the cashier, it was that the ink was smudged on several of the bills (although why anyone would allegedly counterfeit a $2 is a different question).

One cop in the Best Buy case was also "troubled" that the bills had sequential serial numbers. At least once a month, someone on Reddit posts a picture of money for an "OMG! I GOT CHANGE FROM THE COFFEE SHOP, AND THE $1 BILLS HAVE SEQUENTIAL SERIAL NUMBERS!" post. Are kids that stupid these days, or do they just handle cash so infrequently that something like this is a "happening"? 'Cos it's happened to me dozens of times in my life, and I never once considered it noteworthy.
Old 05-08-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always liked getting a $2 bill. Somewhere around here uses them as change. Unfortunately it isn't a strip club. I have a couple that I got as a kid in uncirculated condition that I kept. Whenever I come across one, I have a tendency to keep it. Just like the bicentennial quarters with the drummer on them. I just like the way they look, and that you don't see them every day.

Those fucking Sacagawea and other dollar coins, on the other hand, are terrible. I hate getting them as change, and get rid of them as quickly as possible. I always seem to get them as change from somewhere official. Post office, toll booth, train station, etc. They are really trying to foist these things on us. I don't like them because they are too close in size to quarters. Even though they are different colors, they arent the easiest to tell apart unless you look directly at them. Second, no one seems to know what the hell they are at regular retail establishments. Third, I dont regualrly carry coins. If they did away with paper ones I would be forced to carry them.
Old 05-08-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My sister used to work for Princess cruise (not on boat, but on land in Alaska as tour bus driver), she always get hand full of $2 bills from tips.
Old 05-08-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When I used to go to the drop zone a lot they gave almost everything back in $2 bills. Think they still do, didn't know they were rare.
Old 05-08-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Only at Christa McCauliffe Middle School would they take an issue like this and blow it up. It's as if their brains were in outer space. Apparently any hair brain who washes up on the beach can become a cop in Houston. Really, it's as if the authorities were all over the place on this.

Too soon?
Definitely not too soon. I remember those jokes cropping up almost immediately after the accident. Probably my first introduction to tasteless humor.

Around here $2 are pretty common. The Chinese and Vietnamese stuff money in these little red envelopes for New Years. And $2 bills are very popular for this purpose.
Old 05-08-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I had the same problem when using a Sacagawea dollar at Kroger.
I had the same problem using the Sacagawea dollar at a 7-11. In her defense, however, the cashier may have arrived in our country as recently as...that morning. There was no manager to save the day so I had to dig a $20 out of my wallet and use the coin elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.