Other Talk "Otterville"

Woman Sues Starbucks for $5M Over Too Much Ice

Old 05-02-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Woman Sues Starbucks for $5M Over Too Much Ice

Not guilty.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
A former co-worker and I had this debate once. He ended up losing a bet to me when I claimed a "32 oz." soda could have only 12 oz. of actual soda (or other drink). Load a 32 oz. cup with ice and you will just barely be able to pour in a 12 oz. can of soda.

So ... Google yields only one Stacy Pincus, a physician's assistant in the Chicago area.

Old 05-02-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

A former co-worker and I had this debate once. He ended up losing a bet to me when I claimed a "32 oz." soda could have only 12 oz. of actual soda (or other drink). Load a 32 oz. cup with ice and you will just barely be able to pour in a 12 oz. can of soda.
Just order your soda with no ice. Instead of a nickel's worth of syrup mixed in with water in your $1.79 drink, you'll get maybe 7-8 cents' worth of syrup. Woo hoo! That'll show those ripoff artists!
Old 05-02-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I heard this on the radio this morning. Found it pretty amusing. She is not wrong but WTF lady $5 mill?? Go somewhere else.
Ya missed the whole class action part huh? She is not seeking $5 Million in damages personally, but for the entire class. IE all individuals who have ordered iced anything at starbucks.

Perhaps read more completely.
Old 05-02-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

A lot of it is going to depend on the size of the ice cubes. The smaller the ice cubes, the less space there will be between them. A cup filled with large ice cubes will hold more liquid than a cup filled small ice cubes. A cup filled with crushed ice will hold even less.
Old 05-02-16, 11:53 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Sonic is really bad about this. You order a soda, and they fill the cup up to the top with ice pellets, and then squirt a little bit of soda in it. In the end, probably 90% of your drink is ice. You can then take about four drinks of your "Route 44" cup (44 oz @$2.00) and you're left with nothing but ice pellets.
In the morning they have a 'Happy Hour' where they have the 32 oz "large" for 99 cents. Knowing how soda deprived their drinks are, I picked up two of those to go, but soon realized even '64 ounces' with them controlling the ice had less soda than the 44 ounce at the next door gas station where I control the ice.
Old 05-02-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So ... Google yields only one Stacy Pincus, a physician's assistant in the Chicago area.
No, Stacy has got to be a lawyer. $4.9 mil for the lawyer, $0.1 mil split across whoever signs up to be in class; that's the only way class action law suits work (of, by and for the lawyers, clients be damned.)
Old 05-02-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Ya missed the whole class action part huh? She is not seeking $5 Million in damages personally, but for the entire class. IE all individuals who have ordered iced anything at starbucks.

Perhaps read more completely.
phtttt!
Old 05-09-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Since it is a class action suit, the womn is not really suing for or will receive the $4 million herself, but spread out with hundreds of thousands of customers. It seems most of these lawsuits end with customers receiving a free or BOGO coupon for some item the company makes. So basically it's just free marketing/ advertising for the company because many consumers will just sign up for the lawsuit and then the company will have a targeted list of consumers to market to.
Agh....no. Who do you think ends up paying the millions the attorneys make?
Old 05-09-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I look forward to my $.04 payday.
Old 05-09-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Old 05-09-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
After you:

Attach at least one receipt of a cold drink you purchased at a Starbucks between Jan1st 2012 and Dec31st 2015 and a verified photo of it. Attach all to a postcard and mail to Starbucks.

Return postage not included. Current stamp value is $.47 so please include a money order for $.43 (Sorry, we don't accept checks).
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Thanks for being a loyal Starbucks customer!
Old 05-09-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

So... people are actually fooled by the ice? They think they are getting more than they are?

wow.

my share of the suit would be about .001 cents.
Old 05-09-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

I tried this mind blowing experiment the other day AND asked for less ice. I got less ice...and more drink.

Old 05-09-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I tried this mind blowing experiment the other day AND asked for less ice. I got less ice...and more drink.

Can you post up a Youtube video as to how to accomplish this? It seems like some folks don't even know this is possible or how to go about it.
Old 05-09-16, 01:11 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVERYWHERE you go is like this. I have been for more than 10 years requesting lite ice in all my beverages for this very reason. Places make a killing off of fountain drinks. When they load the cup with ice their profits go up even more. It's annoying as hell.

Granted if you eat in none of this matters as just about everywhere has free refills but if you get it to go or drive-thru they "f**k you in the drive thru".

That being said this lawsuit is so dumb its not funny but hey that's our legal system!
Old 05-09-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

^ Which is why I buy a 2 liter for the office.

That said, this is a complaint about what ultimately comes down to a recipe.

We have an Applebees in our parking lot, I order from there when my car is in the shop, they sell a soda (to go) for $3.19, and fill it to the top with ice and put in maybe 8 oz of drink in a 32 oz cup (saying "lite ice" doesn't seem to matter since you know, they work at Applebees.)

Now that shits a little annoying.
Old 05-09-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Well, don't tell anybody ... I think the soda companies have been giving us too much soda in our "home" packaging for years. A 2 liter bottle should hold about 67 ounces of soda, yet I can put ice in my 32 ounce cup and there is enough soda to fill the cup three or four times! Cans are similar -- 12 ounces of soda can fill a 12 ounce glass twice! #mindblown!

Old 05-09-16, 09:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

I hope the court tosses this out as a frivilous lawsuit and I wish the court system would start penalizing people who lose frivilous lawsuits in this country. Might cut down on some of the insanity we see with lawsuit happy people these days. The justice system needs to grow some balls.
Old 05-10-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Guess now you don't even have to spill it on yourself.