Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

slop101's Official Soda / Cola Thread!

Other Talk "Otterville"

slop101's Official Soda / Cola Thread!

Old 06-24-20, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: slop101's Official Soda / Cola Thread!

I tried Mexican Pepsi and was not impressed.

If I lived in Mexico I would demand the U.S. formula.

Old 06-24-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts

I tried the Bold Gingerale posted before, and I didn't notice much of a difference.
Old 06-24-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 306 Posts

After drinking Ginger Beer, Ginger Ale just seems so weak. Ginger Beer has a kick, especially Jamaican Ginger Beer.
Old 06-24-20, 12:44 PM
RIP

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Over/under on how long before this thread is retitled "slop101's Official Diabetes Thread!"
Old 06-24-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
After drinking Ginger Beer, Ginger Ale just seems so weak. Ginger Beer has a kick, especially Jamaican Ginger Beer.
I think both have their place (as mixers), but I agree that ginger beer is absolutely delicious. And Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer is dangerously good as well.
Old 07-10-20, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 482 Likes on 343 Posts

So my favorite soda has disappeared around here. Pibb Xtra. Kroger was the only place around here I could count on stocking it, but having checked 3 Krogers this weekend, it's gone. Not sold out, even the shelf tags where it normally is were gone. I ran into the Coke guy stocking stuff at one store and it sounded like they won't carry it anymore. He had a heavy accent, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Even checked Target, Meijer and a couple Wal-marts, none of which ever carried it, so it wasn't a surprise when they didn't have it either.

I just sent a complaint message through the Pibb website. Not sure if that will accomplish anything though.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-10-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 311 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So my favorite soda has disappeared around here. Pibb Xtra. Kroger was the only place around here I could count on stocking it, but having checked 3 Krogers this weekend, it's gone. Not sold out, even the shelf tags where it normally is were gone. I ran into the Coke guy stocking stuff at one store and it sounded like they won't carry it anymore. He had a heavy accent, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Even checked Target, Meijer and a couple Wal-marts, none of which ever carried it, so it wasn't a surprise when they didn't have it either.

I just sent a complaint message through the Pibb website. Not sure if that will accomplish anything though.
I was very saddened when Del Taco stopped using Pibb in its fountain drinks, about 6 months ago. They now use Dr Pepper instead, which just isn't the same. I asked them why they switched -- no satisfactory answer was given. Have not been able to find Pibb anywhere since. It has just disappeared, for good it seems. All the good ones go, the crap stays.
Old 07-10-20, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 482 Likes on 343 Posts

Yep. There are a handful of restaurants I visit because they have Pibb on the fountain. Of course since Covid, I haven't been to any of them in months, so who knows what's going on.
Old 07-10-20, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 142 Likes on 116 Posts

There’s been a shortage of aluminum apparently. So many sodas have stopped being made either for good or until they can start getting the cans made again.

Lots of stores have been posting notices in the soda section.

My wife had been drinking Sprite Zero but that’s one of the sodas that has vanished.
Old 07-11-20, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Thereís been a shortage of aluminum apparently. So many sodas have stopped being made either for good or until they can start getting the cans made again.

Lots of stores have been posting notices in the soda section.

My wife had been drinking Sprite Zero but thatís one of the sodas that has vanished.
I like Sprite Zero as well and can only find it in the 2 liter in stores around me. Even then the shelf is sometimes empty. I donít like 2 liters because my last glass is usually flat by the time I drink it. I used to buy it in the cans all the time. Regular sprite doesnít seem to be a problem.
Old 07-12-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coke Zero is very difficult to find here as well.
Old 07-12-20, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 216 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by badlieut View Post
Coke Zero is very difficult to find here as well.
Weird, that seems to be one of the most popular drinks around here (Western Ohio).
Old 07-13-20, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who'd of thunk it?? A shortage of aluminum??!! Sounds like something out of the year 1850. Well, I never buy sodas in cans anyway, but such an aluminum shortage shouldn't affect soda being sold in plastic bottles and in fountains. Most of the fountains are closed now, of course, so that may alter the picture a bit.
Old 07-13-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 885 Likes on 644 Posts

All of the stores around me have stopped carrying Caffeine-Free Diet Pepsi in 500mL bottles. It was, unfortunately, my favorite soda.

Wonder if it's COVID-related?
Old 07-13-20, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Received 216 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
All of the stores around me have stopped carrying Caffeine-Free Diet Pepsi in 500mL bottles. It was, unfortunately, my favorite soda.

Wonder if it's COVID-related?
We've been wondering the same thing.

Similarly, my wife's favorite is the non-Diet version (the gold label) of that, and it disappeared from shelf tags everywhere around here in all container types (along with the diet version). We finally saw it come back in cans (but only in cans) at Kroger yesterday.
Old 07-15-20, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 473 Likes on 377 Posts

So Vons sells their "signature select" fruit flavored waters and they are delicious. They make for great mixers and just to drink as is, with no sugar and like 10 calories if you drink the entire bottle, which is 1 quart.

My favorite flavors are the creme variants. They have orange, strawberry, and peach creme flavors -- they taste like creamsicles. And they're only .69 cents, sometimes less with your club card.
Old 07-17-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 353 Posts

The lime talk awhile back inspired me ... and it was funny because just before that I had a craving for lime Coke ... something I hadn’t even thought about in years.

Anyway, I’ve been getting Lime Vanilla Cokes at Sonic ... oh ... my ... god ... so good.
Old 07-23-20, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts

Just looked this up because the past few times I've stocked up on soda, I've only been able to get the basic ones like regular Pepsi or Coke, no cherry or vanilla or anything fancy that I usually like. That pretty much sucks. Mountain Dew Voltage was one of my favorites, hope that hasn't been discontinued.
Old 07-25-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
So Vons sells their "signature select" fruit flavored waters and they are delicious. They make for great mixers and just to drink as is, with no sugar and like 10 calories if you drink the entire bottle, which is 1 quart.

My favorite flavors are the creme variants. They have orange, strawberry, and peach creme flavors -- they taste like creamsicles. And they're only .69 cents, sometimes less with your club card.
Now that Vons and Albertsons are all under the same ownership, they all carry these. So the same water should be available in any Vons / Safeway / Albertsons / Jewel or other regional branches.
Old 08-09-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 190 Posts

I got a Big Gulp Pepsi and it has no taste.

Maybe the 7-11's here are shady or it is like that everywhere.
Old 08-09-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 885 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post

The soda fountain was probably low on syrup. That happens when they don't refill them. I would have dumped it and refilled with something else, and mentioned to the staff that they needed new Pepsi syrup.

Old 08-09-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 142 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post

Do you have covid?
Old 08-09-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The soda fountain was probably low on syrup. That happens when they don't refill them. I would have dumped it and refilled with something else, and mentioned to the staff that they needed new Pepsi syrup.
I always put a little in the cup first to make sure it tastes right before filling it up. Not only that, buf if you put just a little in the cup, you can then look in the cup to se if something is in there that is not supposed to be. I always check and a few times I've seen ants floating around in the soda or crawling around on the inside of the cup. Some places, especially the mom and pop run gas stations don't bother to clean their equipment daily and will have ant issue all over the nozzels of the soad fountains. It will be someting you won't notice if you are just filling it up to the top right away with a dark colored soda and placing the cap on right away.
Old 08-09-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 157 Posts

So Dr. Pepper does all this advertising for their new Cream Soda, and you can't fucking find it anywhere!
(I've heard it's good too, if you can find it!)
Why put out a media blitz when no one can seemingly buy it?
Old 08-09-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

... to jack up the price, of course! This 'scarcity' was planned and is SOP for good ol' Dr P.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.