Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

slop101's Official Soda / Cola Thread!

Other Talk "Otterville"

slop101's Official Soda / Cola Thread!

Old 08-14-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: slop101's Official Soda / Cola Thread!

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's because Diet Coke is based off the New Coke formula, IIRC.
I might be misremembering but wasn't the whole New Coke fiasco because they changed for formula to be more like a sugared version of Diet Coke which was very popular at the time?
Old 08-14-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was at the grocery store today buying my standard Cherry Zero and saw Coke Zero original 12 packs co-mingling with Coke Zero Sugar 12 packs.
Old 08-14-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you get the Zero Sugar and how does it compare.
Old 08-14-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I might be misremembering but wasn't the whole New Coke fiasco because they changed for formula to be more like a sugared version of Diet Coke which was very popular at the time?
There used to be a link around here somewhere.

From what I recall, Coke Zero is the diet version of Coke.

Diet Coke was the diet version of New Coke.

Of course I could be remembering wrong. Someone can feel free to correct me.
Old 08-14-17, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Did you get the Zero Sugar and how does it compare.
I didn't.
Old 08-14-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I sat next to a really nice woman on my flight from Seoul to Taipei last month. She works for Coca-Cola headquarters in Atlanta and is in the Freestyle division. She was full of all sorts of facts about the Coca-Cola line of beverages, but the one thing that she told me that really stood out was this:

Every time someone creates a drink at a Freestyle machine, the data from that customer's visit is sent to Coke headquarters. She said that the data can tell them lots of things, but the most important thing they look at is what flavors went into each drink made at a Freestyle machine and what percentage of the drink each flavor made up. She said that if they see an uptick in people making, say, Diet Coke with Orange, they'll start watching that particular flavor combination a lot more closely. If the uptick turns into a sustained choice, they'll start looking into whether that could be a viable flavor for the bottling division to market. They also keep tabs (hah!) on what choices seem to be trending regionally, in case bottling wants to get in on the regional action.

She was a fascinating seatmate.
Old 08-15-17, 01:03 AM

That's pretty neat. I really like that you can use the Freestyle app to accurately customize a drink. For example, combining orange Sprite and cherry Sprite to accurately recreate what they had bottled as a limited run "LeBron's Mix Sprite"
Old 08-15-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the new Coke Zero Sugar a few times. It's fine. I like it . I don't think it's a marked improvement over original CZ so it seems like a waste to go through the effort for a new formula when sales are up.

CZ had more of a bite/crispness to it than CZS does to me. CZS has a "fuller" mouthfeel to it. I will keep drinking it and I think in time I'll appreciate it more. The one I had today made reminded me more of original Coke so that's a good thing I guess.
Old 08-26-17, 05:23 AM

I took the leap and got a 2 liter of Zero Sugar. I like it. It's a little bit smoother and doesn't have the after taste of the original. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-26-17, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
I sat next to a really nice woman on my flight from Seoul to Taipei last month. She works for Coca-Cola headquarters in Atlanta and is in the Freestyle division. She was full of all sorts of facts about the Coca-Cola line of beverages, but the one thing that she told me that really stood out was this:

Every time someone creates a drink at a Freestyle machine, the data from that customer's visit is sent to Coke headquarters. She said that the data can tell them lots of things, but the most important thing they look at is what flavors went into each drink made at a Freestyle machine and what percentage of the drink each flavor made up. She said that if they see an uptick in people making, say, Diet Coke with Orange, they'll start watching that particular flavor combination a lot more closely. If the uptick turns into a sustained choice, they'll start looking into whether that could be a viable flavor for the bottling division to market. They also keep tabs (hah!) on what choices seem to be trending regionally, in case bottling wants to get in on the regional action.

She was a fascinating seatmate.
Cool, in theory. In reality those machines have been out for a few years now and their data hasn't produced a single new product that I'm aware of.
Old 08-26-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

I did a side to side of Coke Zero and Zero Sugar.

The flavor of Zero was better to me and had more carbonation.

My vote was no more Zero Sugar.
Old 08-26-17, 10:25 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

^ I did the same but came to the opposite conclusion.
I like both, but I'm cool with the new one.
Old 08-26-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

I'll stick with regular Dr Pepper. I'd rather drink pure vinegar or lemon juice over CZS. There *must* be a funky, chemical aftertaste. There ALWAYS is with Diet Colas. You people who don't taste it are just acclimated to it...
Old 08-26-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 439 Likes on 325 Posts

Cool, in theory. In reality those machines have been out for a few years now and their data hasn't produced a single new product that I'm aware of.
Nor can you actually "customize" your flavor choices ... you can only pick from the options they give you.

Did she explain why Coke is allowing their brand (formulas and flavors) to be bastardized by these machines? This is something that blows my mind.
Old 08-26-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'll stick with regular Dr Pepper. I'd rather drink pure vinegar or lemon juice over CZS. There *must* be a funky, chemical aftertaste. There ALWAYS is with Diet Colas. You people who don't taste it are just acclimated to it...
This. I prefer not to chemically castrate my taste buds so I can pretend to enjoy something.
Old 08-27-17, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Nor can you actually "customize" your flavor choices ... you can only pick from the options they give you.

Did she explain why Coke is allowing their brand (formulas and flavors) to be bastardized by these machines? This is something that blows my mind.
What's your definition of customize?

If you pour half Coke and half sprite isn't that customized?
Old 08-27-17, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

How would the machine know you are doing half & half vs knowing if it's the next person? I assume "custom" is limited to the predetermined choices they give you.
Old 08-27-17, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 351 Likes on 258 Posts

How would the machine know you are doing half & half vs knowing if it's the next person? I assume "custom" is limited to the predetermined choices they give you.
It's been a while since I used one but you select the main flavor (Coke), then you select flavorings (vanilla, cherry) then hit ok and it dispenses.
Old 08-27-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, yes, I suppose hand-mixing is technically customizing.

You select your primary drink (e.g., Coke, Diet Coke, Barq's, Dr. Pepper/Pibb) and then it will give you flavor options. You cannot add any flavor to any drink. For example, Dr. Pepper can only be paired with cherry and/or vanilla; lime, lemon, orange, etc. are not options like they are with Coke. IMO, not customizable. Semantics.

Did I mention I hate those machines?

PS -- apparently people were mixing Coke and Coke Zero. Now we have Coke Zero with Sugar.
Old 08-27-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mix a diet with a r gular at the fountains all the time.

Btw if you sign up on the freestyle app they will send you a true custom mix every other week or so.

The only oroblem is that it's rarely available at any of the machines I've been to even though the flavors are in the machine.

Last edited by whotony; 08-27-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
It's been a while since I used one but you select the main flavor (Coke), then you select flavorings (vanilla, cherry) then hit ok and it dispenses.
Right, so point is you're still limited to the options they give you for THAT specific beverage. I'm assuming once you go back to the main screen the software would see that as a new drink/customer. I.e. No making a 25% Peach Mellow Yellow, 50% Cherry Sprite, 20% lime Ginger Ale and a 5% splash of Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper.
Old 08-27-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Well, yes, I suppose hand-mixing is technically customizing.

You select your primary drink (e.g., Coke, Diet Coke, Barq's, Dr. Pepper/Pibb) and then it will give you flavor options. You cannot add any flavor to any drink. For example, Dr. Pepper can only be paired with cherry and/or vanilla; lime, lemon, orange, etc. are not options like they are with Coke. IMO, not customizable. Semantics.

Did I mention I hate those machines?

PS -- apparently people were mixing Coke and Coke Zero. Now we have Coke Zero with Sugar.
You have a weird definition of "customize" or purposely being anal about it.
Old 08-27-17, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts

Right, so point is you're still limited to the options they give you for THAT specific beverage. I'm assuming once you go back to the main screen the software would see that as a new drink/customer. I.e. No making a 25% Peach Mellow Yellow, 50% Cherry Sprite, 20% lime Ginger Ale and a 5% splash of Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper.
Sure you can. You push the button to put as much as you want into the cup of the first choice. Then you can hit the "start over" (or whatever it's called) button and pick another drink combo to add to what you already have in the cup.
Old 08-27-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know how to fix a "Suicide." I was talking about the software being able to differentiate users so Coke could see this magical elixir to bottle and sell. Think Dew.S.A.

Speaking of, those have all but disappeared around here. Grabbed 4 12-packs before they were completely gone.
Old 08-27-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This weeks custom flavor mix.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.