DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Are you supposed to walk or stand still on a moving walkway at the airport? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/634061-you-supposed-walk-stand-still-moving-walkway-airport.html)

Count Dooku 04-22-16 01:10 AM

Are you supposed to walk or stand still on a moving walkway at the airport?

Article on HuffPo lists people who stand still on the moving walkways as one of the 21 most annoying people at the airport.

WTF?

Why would it be wrong to stand still on the moving sidewalk? If you want to walk, you can do that on the regular floor. Yes, if you walk on the moving sidewalk you are moving faster. Or, you could just walk faster on the regular floor. Hell, you can even run like OJ Simpson.

davidh777 04-22-16 01:15 AM

Re: Are you supposed to walk or stand still on a moving walkway at the airport?

Stand on the right, walk on the left.

filmerp 04-22-16 01:22 AM

^^^^^^^Yes. Europe seems to get this. Here in N America on the other hand- many folks will make sure to stand side to side to block any attempt to pass. Ugh.

E. Honda 04-22-16 01:40 AM

Count Dooku 04-22-16 01:53 AM

http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/...graduate01.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...43_634x340.jpg

Ash Ketchum 04-22-16 02:55 AM

In Tokyo, everyone stands on the left in a row, on escalators or moving walkways, so people who want to walk can go up the right.

However, some moving walkways have signs (Japanese and English) insisting that you shouldn't walk on a moving walkway. I'm not sure why. The one in the station near my hotel went a little too fast and I stumbled getting off of it if I didn't leap off that last step.

hbilly 04-22-16 04:33 AM

https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages...ra/9769806.gif

OldDude 04-22-16 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12783792)

^This. It says so right on the belt. I'm a "walk left" person.

RoyalTea 04-22-16 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 12783791)
Article on HuffPo lists people who stand still on the moving walkways as one of the 21 most annoying people at the airport.

WTF?

Why would it be wrong to stand still on the moving sidewalk? If you want to walk, you can do that on the regular floor. Yes, if you walk on the moving sidewalk you are moving faster. Or, you could just walk faster on the regular floor. Hell, you can even run like OJ Simpson.

does HuffPo consider anyone who stands on the moving walkways as one of the 21 most annoying people at the airport? Or do they specifically call out the assholes who stand side by side on the moving walkway, blocking the people who choose to walk?

If you want to stand and act like you're on an amusement park ride at Disneyland, knock yourself out. Just don't impede people who use the moving walkway as a method to get from point a to point b a little faster.

Brian Shannon 04-22-16 07:00 AM

"Supposed to"?

Who makes up these made up rules? :lol:

Jaymole 04-22-16 07:00 AM

I'm a New Yorker, so I always walk on the moving walkway. I also walk up & down escalators as well.

Coral 04-22-16 07:43 AM

This is the correct answer... and it also applies to escalators.

The main point of the moving walkway is to take a break from walking. As long as they aren't blocking those who want to walk while on it (or on escalators) to go faster - I'm not sure why people should complain.

CRM114 04-22-16 07:53 AM

The announcement makes it pretty clear. Walk but if you need to stand, stand to the right. So the poll doesn't have the proper answer.

Goat3001 04-22-16 08:12 AM

Yup. That simple. It's a simple standard we should all follow.

Personally, I almost always choose to walk the moving walkway or escalators. And if someone is standing on the left as I'm trying to walk I get right up on their ass until they move over.

Dan 04-22-16 08:21 AM

But if there's no one in front of you, walking on the right is also acceptable.

It's like driving: Stay out of the left lane unless you have a good reason to be there.

flagstone 04-22-16 08:23 AM

It's very simple: you stand on the walkway, and walk on the standway.

Trevor 04-22-16 08:30 AM

I even walk in elevators, it makes people uncomfortable.

Pharoh 04-22-16 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by filmerp (Post 12783793)
^^^^^^^Yes. Europe seems to get this. Here in N America on the other hand- many folks will make sure to stand side to side to block any attempt to pass. Ugh.

Really? I find the problem in general noticeably worse in Europe than the US. And in the US, though perhaps in Europe as well, the biggest offenders tend to be foreigners.
:shrug:

HN 04-22-16 08:51 AM

Stand on the right, suitcase on the left.

4KRG 04-22-16 08:59 AM

People in the US walk like they drive....

as if they are the only people on the planet and everyone can wait on them to do their thing.

Slower [insert people, cars, etc] should always keep right when available, unless you are just a stupid dick ;)

nemein 04-22-16 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12783889)
I even walk in elevators, it makes people uncomfortable.

I find what really make people uncomfortable in an elevator is if it is full, stand w/ your back to the door facing the other people.

Goat3001 04-22-16 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 12783921)
I find what really make people uncomfortable in an elevator is if it is full, stand w/ your back to the door facing the other people.

This is the most awkward thing anyone can do. There have been a handful of times I've walked onto an elevator and seen someone facing the back, this is when no one else is on the elevator. It's like a door opening up and seeing the last scene of the Blair Witch Project.

Other times I've been on an elevator and someone doesn't turn around and ends up staring directly in my face.

Anyone who does this needs to stop. It's weird.

kenbuzz 04-22-16 09:27 AM

When you're in a hurry and you're approaching people who are blocking the way - regardless of whether it's intentional or accidental - I've found that the best way to get through them is to announce loudly, emotionlessly, and clearly, "Coming Through!" as you approach. It always works.

The reason it works is that you're not attempting to engage them in a conversation, and you're not asking them to do anything. They're not being asked to stop what they're doing, consider your request, and consciously decide what to do. You're simply presenting yourself as something that's going to happen to them, causing them to react in the desired manner.

Don't do it with an annoyed or angry tone of voice. Flat and emotionless is the way to go. You're a force of nature.

kenbuzz 04-22-16 09:33 AM

BTW, at Chciago O'Hare they're taking the moving walkways out of Concourse C:
Linky: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...20-column.html

Under the existing layout, once an air traveler steps onto a moving walkway in Concourse C, which is rimmed by aircraft gates and concessions stands on both sides, there is no opportunity until reaching the end of the walkway to hop off and make an impulse purchase.
Yeah, I'm at your freaking airport because I want to shop. :rolleyes:

Mabuse 04-22-16 09:34 AM

The correct answer is:
Walk backward so that you go nowhere.