Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Burger King employees smash windows and stop building from exploding!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-09-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...409-story.html

A prank caller tricked workers at a Minnesota Burger King into smashing the windows of the restaurant to keep it from exploding, police said Saturday, mirroring similar deceptions at Burger Kings and other fast-food restaurants in other states in recent months.

Police said employees at the restaurant in the Minneapolis suburb of Coon Rapids got the call Friday night from someone claiming to be with the fire department. The caller said the restaurant could explode, so they needed to relieve the pressure. The manager and other employees believed the caller and smashed all the windows on the ground floor.

"Officers arrived and found that the manager and employees of the Burger King were smashing out the windows," Sgt. Rick Boone told the Star Tribune. "The manager explained they'd received a phone call from a male who identified himself as a fireman who said there were dangerous levels of gas in the building and they had to break out all the windows to keep the building from blowing up."

The restaurant was boarded up Saturday, and investigators were trying to identify the caller.

Someone placed a similar call to a Burger King in Shawnee, Oklahoma, on Thursday night, claiming there were high levels of carbon monoxide in the building. KFOR-TV in Oklahoma City reported that the window damage there was estimated at $10,000.

Prank call costs Oklahoma Burger King thousands
An Oklahoma Burger King is dealing with about $10,000 in damage after a prank caller convinced employees to break out all of the restaurant's windows. (KFOR-TV)
"It is a little upsetting that they would try to give the fire department a black eye," Thomas Larman, of the Shawnee Fire Department, told the station. "We would never do anything like that. We're here to serve the public, protect the public."

A similar call to Burger King in Morro Bay, California, about a purported gas leak in early February resulted in $35,000 in damage. Not only did employees smash the windows, but a manager went as far as ramming his car into the building. And police in Tucson, Arizona, say several similar prank calls were placed to Jack in the Box restaurants there in early February, fooling workers at one store. A similar incident happened at a Wendy's in Phoenix in late January.
Amazing. Maybe the work of one guy. I guess after years of incidents like this I am a little surprised something isn't in the training manual. Usually the pranks involve getting a customer or employee naked.

26 years ago I worked at a Subway. The night I was off "DEA" called and informed an employee they had snipers on the roof and to strip search a female customer and find the drugs. Early days of cell phones so pretty sure the guy was out in the parking lot watching the whole thing. I was only 18 and flabbergasted someone fell for that even then, yet it still happens. Wow.
Old 04-09-16, 07:31 PM
Banned

Re: Burger King employees smash windows and stop building from exploding!

Idiots amaze me.
Old 04-09-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This kind of shit has probably been going on since the invention of the telephone. I remember a case from the late 70s where a guy was phoning random women at their homes, claiming to be a doctor and warning them about a dangerous head lice epidemic. He would diagnose them over the phone, and then convinced them to douse their head in alcohol and set it on fire to kill the lice. Several women were badly burned.

I too don't understand how people fall for stuff like this, and think there has to be more to it than the victims just being fucking stupid.
Old 04-09-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't all chase after their running refrigerator.
Old 04-09-16, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
This kind of shit has probably been going on since the invention of the telephone. I remember a case from the late 70s where a guy was phoning random women at their homes, claiming to be a doctor and warning them about a dangerous head lice epidemic. He would diagnose them over the phone, and then convinced them to douse their head in alcohol and set it on fire to kill the lice. Several women were badly burned.

I too don't understand how people fall for stuff like this, and think there has to be more to it than the victims just being fucking stupid.
Socially they have to be stupid. They may be book smart but they sure as hell ain't' street smart. It's a social thing. They believe authority so cleanly at times that they feel compelled to act upon the supposed nature of it.

I'd fucking disown my kid if they did something like that. The logic of it is beyond me in really understanding how their logic believes those kinds of requests.
Old 04-09-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I figure it's like spam email. They call a couple dozen Burger King restaurants all over the place, and eventually someone in Coon River will respond to an authoritative voice.
Old 04-09-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Idiots entertain me.
Fixed.

Is this verified? I find the premise totally believable, but a few things in that article sent up red flags with me. ("Ground floor" windows in a Burger King? Ramming a car into the building?)
Old 04-09-16, 09:59 PM
Banned

the link has a video to where you see the car.
Old 04-09-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people fall for this all the time. I've worked at a store where the sell Green Dot, Visa gift cards, and the like. They'll have a caller claiming to be from the company with names of a number of corporate managers.

They'll tell the person that they need to "test" the gift card system by having the employee run a number of gift cards through the system and then give them the activation codes to see if the system is working. Of course it won't be and they'll keep "testing" cards until someone at the store catches on.
Sometimes they'll get as little as $6k but they've also scammed the employee for $40k sometimes.
I had one employee that I contantly warned about these types of scams. She pretty much just ignored me and a few months later fell for it for almost $10k. She was of course fired.
Old 04-09-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I guess it's better than someone on a phone convincing an assistant manager or whatever to perform a strip search and worse on a female employee, which has happened. It's sad how many people will fall for things like this.
Old 04-09-16, 10:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was Prince Albert in the can?
Old 04-09-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
the link has a video to where you see the car.
Thanks Snake. I didn't click on it ... Now that I did, that's even worse. Why the fuck would you total your car for your employer? What was the logic in smashing the car into the drive-thru? (I know, I know. That just has me baffled though.)
Old 04-09-16, 11:36 PM
Banned

Yeah. No way I'm destroying my car for my employer.
Old 04-10-16, 12:49 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"The manager explained they'd received a phone call from a male who identified himself as a fireman who said there were dangerous levels of gas in the building and they had to break out all the windows to keep the building from blowing up."
Well, it worked. The place didn't blow up.
Old 04-10-16, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be the asshole employee that would just leave the building and go across the street and wait for the building to blow. Of course, film it for Youtube.
Old 04-10-16, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I figure it's like spam email. They call a couple dozen Burger King restaurants all over the place, and eventually someone in Coon River will respond to an authoritative voice.
Coon Rapids, get it right! I was actually there, but I never smashed out any windows.
Old 04-10-16, 11:00 AM

YouTube videos

http://youtu.be/RRJBs3pjF90

http://youtu.be/rgmPWKcYoiQ
Old 04-10-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about the reference to "the ground floor". Is this a two story Burger King?
Old 04-10-16, 11:50 AM
Banned

Sometimes these BK have windows that up for kids play place thing so they can see out and such.

EDIT: Yep. I was right. Look at the videos posted.
Old 04-10-16, 11:59 AM
Suspended

Maybe they should change their name to Burglar King. You know cause burglar break windows........heh heh....nevermind!!
Old 04-10-16, 12:07 PM

This movie, Compliance, should be part of every fast food restaurant's training program.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WdONydDX44I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit: Hrm, for some reason, it's not including the embedded video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdONydDX44I

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 04-10-16 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 05:15 PM

Sounds like a revival of Pranknet, haven't heard much about them the last few years, but The Smoking Gun actually had quite a hard on for them, posting articles ridiculing the Pranknet members and going to great lengths to point out things like "When we called for comment, his mother answered the phone and said that he refused to leave her basement, where he lives."

An example

Pranknet members used to pull shit like getting people to taste their own urine, use a lighter in a hotel room to set off the sprinklers, and yes, I'm pretty sure there was a strip search or two. The repeated nature of these window smashing make it seem like either the return of Pranknet, or a copycat. Looking forward to the Smoking Gun coverage of this when they are caught. And it seems like it has reached the point where they will certainly be caught.
Old 04-12-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Sounds like a revival of Pranknet, haven't heard much about them the last few years, but The Smoking Gun actually had quite a hard on for them, posting articles ridiculing the Pranknet members and going to great lengths to point out things like "When we called for comment, his mother answered the phone and said that he refused to leave her basement, where he lives."

An example

Pranknet members used to pull shit like getting people to taste their own urine, use a lighter in a hotel room to set off the sprinklers, and yes, I'm pretty sure there was a strip search or two. The repeated nature of these window smashing make it seem like either the return of Pranknet, or a copycat. Looking forward to the Smoking Gun coverage of this when they are caught. And it seems like it has reached the point where they will certainly be caught.
In the case of the Burger King prank, what would you charge them with? Enabling stupidity? These BK employees are full grown Adults that went through with some stupid shit just cause someone on the phone tells them to do something?
Old 04-13-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
In the case of the Burger King prank, what would you charge them with? Enabling stupidity? These BK employees are full grown Adults that went through with some stupid shit just cause someone on the phone tells them to do something?
http://myfox8.com/2016/04/11/prank-c...t-out-windows/

"Whoever did this could be charged with several things, including felony terrorist threats and felony criminal damage to property."
I imagine impersonating a policeman/chief is a crime.
Old 04-13-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin View Post
This movie, Compliance, should be part of every fast food restaurant's training program.
<iframe-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WdONydDX44I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled-disabled>

Edit: Hrm, for some reason, it's not including the embedded video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdONydDX44I

[_yt]WdONydDX44I[_/yt] just get rid of the _

I hated Compliance, that movie annoyed the hell out of me despite the fact I know it was based on an actual event. I refuse to believe people are that stupid, even though I see it all the time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.