Re: Last stage show you attended?

I saw Hamilton. Am I cool?!?!
Old 03-02-17, 01:35 PM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I saw Hamilton. Am I cool?!?!
How hard or expensive is it to get tickets?
Old 03-02-17, 01:36 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
How hard or expensive is it to get tickets?
We got them through Ticketmaster when they went on sale awhile back for this block of shows. So it was the face value + fees...around $400 or so. We were able to get two pairs for two shows.
Old 03-02-17, 07:47 PM   #104
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Like lip-syncing to the movie?
Yes, and acting it out. First time I've ever been to one of those, and it was fun.
Old 03-02-17, 08:23 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Yes, and acting it out. First time I've ever been to one of those, and it was fun.
Thanks--I think I saw that on a TV show but didn't know it was a real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
We got them through Ticketmaster when they went on sale awhile back for this block of shows. So it was the face value + fees...around $400 or so. We were able to get two pairs for two shows.
Cool. The Roundabout Theatre was having a big auction, but the only Hamilton tickets I saw were for Chicago and San Francisco, so I guess even they couldn't score Broadway tickets.

It's coming to Seattle next year, and we'll get tickets because we're subscribers. A lot of friends want to know if I can get extras, though. The theatre said those would be "extremely limited."
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-12-17, 12:31 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Good news..ies! The live version of Newsies that was a Fathom event (which I saw three times) is going to be released digitally on May 23. No physical media, though.

http://www.playbill.com/article/the-...-and-on-demand
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-12-17, 01:03 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I caught Fun Home over the weekend. I need to give the soundtrack a listen on Spotify,
Old 06-18-17, 02:59 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

Just got back from my first visit to NYC since I was a little kid in 1981 (saw Annie then on its initial run - Natch)
Anyway, as a theater fan, I wanted to make a few shows. I knew there would be same-day tickets to less-popular shows (and even four months out, there were no Hamilton tix to be had), so I did my homework to try and find a couple of popular shows that wouldn't be available the same day when we got to Broadway.

First show was Sara Bareilles in her final performance in the lead role in Waitress -- the musical based on the Keri Russell movie of the same name which she wrote all the songs for. It was cute and man, can she sing. They actually stopped the show in the second act with a standing ovation after a song - something I've never seen in theater before. Here's a pic I took of her leaving the stage :

I took my son the next night to see the comedy The Play that Goes Wrong while my wife and daughter went to the Met to see Swan Lake with Misty Copeland. It's a silly little play that purports to be an Agatha Christie-like murder mystery but is really a frame on which to build a slapstick comedy where literally everything that could go wrong does as the set collapses around them. It's quite funny; my boy (11) loved it. The set is pretty amazing and won a Tony last week.

Last edited by Decker; 06-18-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 03:10 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Next up was my coup -- I scored great tickets for Dear Evan Hansen. I had done a lot of reading in January about which was going to be the hottest musical of the season and came to the conclusion that it would likely be this one -- and I was right. Man, is it incredible. Stars Benjamin Platt who was the male lead in both Ptich Perfect films. He was freaking incredible here playing a socially anxious loser who accidentally stumbles into the narrative of another school mate who kills himself and becomes a viral sensation in the process. It sounds bleak and weird and maybe it is. But it's also touching and really effective and funny as well. What a great show. Won six Tony's including Best Musical, Best Score, Best Book, Best Actor and Best Featured Actress. The songs are done by the two young guys who just won an Oscar for co-writing the songs in La La Land. They're having a good year so far.

Final show was The Little Foxes. Normally I'm not a fan of old plays getting revived on Broadway. But the cast was really impressive. Laura Linney, Cynthia Nixon, Richard Thomas and Michael McKean. Nixon won a Tony, Linney and Thomas were both nominated. What was exceptionally cool and unique was that Linney and Nixon alternately swapped leading (Regina) and supporting (Birdie) roles. At the performance I went to Linney was in the lead role. She is SUCH a good actress -- four Emmys for four separate roles. She was amazing, so was Nixon who I have never been that much of a fan of. Really good show and shockingly prescient in its depiction of the wealthy and powerful. Really glad I went ahead and picked up tickets for that one as well.
Old 06-21-17, 10:54 AM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Totally jealous, Decker! I saw Waitress last year in previews but would've loved to have seen Bareilles herself in the role. And I'd love to see Dear Evan Hansen--I've been listening to the recording a lot and saw the Tonys. We didn't get to NYC this year but maybe next year, and I wonder how long Platt (technically more of a second banana in Pitch Perfect) is going to stay.

I've seen a few shows lately--good local productions of Kiss Me Kate and Spring Awakening, and the touring productions of An American in Paris and Cabaret. American in Paris was beautiful, and the dancing was great. However, I'm a little tired of recycling Gershwin songs. Cabaret was chilling in its depiction of the rise of Nazism because we see parallels to it today. The first act ended with the Nazis singing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me," and I clapped half-heartedly out of reflex, but I wish I'd kept silent as I took it in.
Old 08-11-17, 01:57 PM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

Still thinking about seeing Dear Evan Hansen. Platt's contract runs through November and who knows what will happen then.

I just watched the Merrily We Roll Along documentary, The Best Worst Thing That Ever Could've Happened (streaming on Netflix, but I rented it for 10 cents on VUDU because that seemed like a random title to include in that promo and wanted to support it--and I just finished it within the 30-day viewing window with 28 minutes to spare ). I loved it--so many interviews about how the show came together plus footage from auditions, rehearsals, and performances. I don't even know why they shot all that footage unless they just figured it was Sondheim-Prince, and if nothing else they could use it like the recording session from Company. They also include footage from the 2002 reunion concert. Interestingly they don't interview Liz Callaway, who turned out to be one of the biggest names to emerge from that cast (but they do have Jason Alexander), and it seems to be director Lonny Price doing the interviews (who was also one of the principals) because the interviewees occasionally refer to the interviewer as "you" referring to his role in the show. It closes (spoiler alert) with the auditioners being told that they've made the cast, which parallels the show in a sad way.