Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Old 03-30-16, 04:49 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,775
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
For the most part. I hardly go out these days other than for work related stuff, largely due to a lack of interesting places to check out.

The type of places I use to frequent back in the day, are mostly gone nowadays. (ie. Bookstores, video stores, record stores, arcades, live music nightclubs, etc ...). Even checking out my old stomping grounds (from other cities I use to live in) on google maps streetview, most of these places don't exist today.

If I was 20+ years younger, I don't know what I would do on a night on the town these days.
Seriously! I don't know how old you are but I feel the same way (I'm 39). Luckily in L.A. there are still some cool bookstores, but their numbers have pretty much halved since I moved here 8 years ago. But I used to love grabbing coffee after work and strolling through Borders/Barnes & Noble, or Best Buy, or my god even Blockbuster. There was a time when I would hit Best Buy every tuesday because they'd get all sorts of catalog releases during the DVD glory days (remember how awesome Warner Bros was with the old stuff?). I will say I think the Best Buys around me have improved a little or at least have calmed the amazing dwindling shelves for now. I remember this amazing video store in Michigan that had a whole cafe/sandwich shop inside the store and they had so many obscure movies (VHS, alas) that I would easily spend a couple hours there- I would often cut class in college to hang out there (which is ok, I work in TV now and still try to make an indie movie now and then, so I consider it my early education).

Granted, when you can browse the endless titles on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Etc. and even watch parts of as many movies as you like, that IS an improvement over the blind-buying and careful renting (how many movies have I rented and never finisned or even started? incalculable). But there's something to be said for having a place to GO. Where do the 19 year olds hang out these days?

As a side note, and not to be a curmudgeon because I love technology, but I wonder what the migration of our art out of the physical realm and onto the computer/iPad screen does for the sense of a canon or movie/TV heritage? It makes more available to more people, for sure, but I wonder if the lack of an object to hold and the lack of curated stores and engagement with people who know something about their product (Blockbuster's main weakness, actually, lame employees) makes the art form lose a little vitality or seem a little less real?
Old 03-30-16, 09:38 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,897
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - um, okay, I guess the % doesn't keep going up

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
But there's something to be said for having a place to GO. Where do the 19 year olds hang out these days?
(At the risk of going further offtopic, in a rambling manner).

I have no idea where teenagers + young adults hang out these days. Even on a Friday evening or weekends, I rarely see young people hanging out at the local shopping malls, nor any other obvious public places (outside of school/college campuses).

More generally if I was 20+ years younger, I don't know if I would even be the same person, in terms of thinking and tastes in music, movies, tv shows, hobbies, etc ... Most of my previous post is from the perspective of someone who grew up during the late-1970s and 1980s, and latching on to whatever then-current music, movies, tv shows, pop culture, etc ... were around back in the day.

Hypothetically, I don't know how I would turn out if I was a kid/teenager in today's world.

One hint perhaps would be back in the 1990s, when I use to check out video stores. During the 1990s (and late-1980s), video stores with huge selections turned out to have a "paradoxical" effect on my thinking. Most of the time, I ended up walking out of the video store without renting anything out, largely due to indecision and not being able to decide what I wanted to watch from a huge selection of movies. (A similar thing could be also said about libraries and bookstores with huge selections of a particular genre, in terms of "indecision from overchoice").

Fast forward to today, there's literally an "abundance of overchoice" of music, movies, tv shows, reading material, etc ... all easily available for free or a flat monthly fee. If I was a kid/teenager today with the same indecision type issues, I may very well have just bypassed music, movies, tv shows, etc ... and found something else. What exactly that hypothetical "something else" is, I don't even know where to start.
Old 03-30-16, 10:16 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,553
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - um, okay, I guess the % doesn't keep going up

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
One hint perhaps would be back in the 1990s, when I use to check out video stores. During the 1990s (and late-1980s), video stores with huge selections turned out to have a "paradoxical" effect on my thinking. Most of the time, I ended up walking out of the video store without renting anything out, largely due to indecision and not being able to decide what I wanted to watch from a huge selection of movies. (A similar thing could be also said about libraries and bookstores with huge selections of a particular genre, in terms of "indecision from overchoice").

Fast forward to today, there's literally an "abundance of overchoice" of music, movies, tv shows, reading material, etc ... all easily available for free or a flat monthly fee. If I was a kid/teenager today with the same indecision type issues, I may very well have just bypassed music, movies, tv shows, etc ... and found something else. What exactly that hypothetical "something else" is, I don't even know where to start.
I frequented the video stores in the mid-1980s when I was 12 or 13. I would ride my bike all over town with friends and we would just look at the video boxes on the shelves and read the descriptions on the back cover.

The video stores used to give away their old promotional posters so I would check in every few days to see if a poster I wanted was coming down off the wall. The studios provided the store with lots of counter-top displays as well as huge 5' tall floor displays. They were interesting places to visit.

The scene was just different back then. I remember watching Entertainment Tonight and they would have a feature, once a week, talking about the latest tapes to hit the rental stores. TV Guide magazine always had a page dedicated to VHS new releases.

Now? Nobody cares. There's just a zillion random titles that are quickly acquired and then deleted.

Even though they were good memories, they were a product of that era and not meant to last.

When you think about it, how much sense does it make to create a store in which people walk in and look at little cardboard boxes deciding what movie they wish to watch that evening?
Old 03-30-16, 11:19 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,372
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - um, okay, I guess the % doesn't keep going up

I like this tangent and would like to contribute, and because I want to see further discussion on this tangent, maybe we should move these posts over to a new thread in Other so more people can chime in as well?
Old 03-31-16, 09:30 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,897
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

(This is a spin off from the "Blu-ray and DVD sales - um, okay, I guess the % doesn't keep going up" thread on a tangential topic).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/578...-145.html#3621

(repost)

Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
Yes, and it's such a bummer....we are running out of fun places to kill an afternoon.
For the most part. I hardly go out these days other than for work related stuff, largely due to a lack of interesting places to check out.

The type of places I use to frequent back in the day, are mostly gone nowadays. (ie. Bookstores, video stores, record stores, arcades, live music nightclubs, etc ...). Even checking out my old stomping grounds (from other cities I use to live in) on google maps streetview, most of these places don't exist today.

If I was 20+ years younger, I don't know what I would do on a night on the town these days.



(Hopefully the mods will move the followup tangential posts from the old thread, onto this new one).
Old 03-31-16, 09:35 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,330
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Not sure I follow.

Video stores are dead, but record stores are more lively than they've been in over 15 years, live music nightclubs are sprouting up all over, there are more places than ever to meet up and drink, bookstores are now sparse but the bigger ones (ie: Barnes and Noble) have gotten more varied with the type of guests that only mom and pop stores used to host. bArcades are also huge these days as well. We now have apps to find interest groups (ie: Meet Up) or hook up (ie: Tinder), easier ways to get home (Lyft, Uber), and just more variety in general. The Specialty theater that opened here a couple years ago has also been crushing it with special events, unfortunately the last one I tried to attend was cut short when the guest (Roddy Piper) unexpectedly passed away a few weeks prior (and I had no interest in seeing CM Punk talk, though I did run into him at the gas station).

In terms of old school things, like modern arcades (barcades are decidedly retro, and Dave and Busters sucks) and such, only roller rinks and public pools have really survived.

The issue with variety is there are fewer focal points. In my city the traditional go to places have fallen out of favor and the newer go to places have sprouted up in recently gentrified neighborhoods.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-31-16 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 09:45 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,392
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Frankly, I'm not sure how this is possible if you live in a city large enough, and don't confine yourself to the suburbs. New restaurants and shops (and breweries!) are always opening, parts of town are always getting developed or redeveloped, and there is usually a music and/or sporting event (college or pro) taking place on any given evening.

In my experience, having a kid expands your options even further, as there are a number of places I discovered (I didn't grow up here, so I never visited them as a child) or rediscovered with our (now) preschooler that I otherwise wouldn't have visited, even simple things like neighborhood parks. Granted, he usually gets more out of them than I do, but it's still a lot of fun to "tag along."
Old 03-31-16, 09:50 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,330
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

That's the other thing I was missing, we've had like seven or eight microbreweries open in the last couple years here, all distinctive, all rather good, and they have some of the nicer interiors of any places to hang out. They're oddly family centric during the day (which is fine), and also some of the only places that allow dogs indoors (they don't serve food, but often have food trucks show up).

I do think kids get the short end of the stick by missing out on some things we had back in the 80s/90s, but they have some pretty cool tech toys to replace it. And videogame stores are still a thing.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-31-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 10:16 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,894
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Not sure about the size of the city you live in but maybe checkout meetup.com. You can look at events/hobbies that interest you and join in with other people that are going. Might give you an idea of what to do and maybe find out about places you didn't know about.
Old 03-31-16, 10:18 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,392
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That's the other thing I was missing, we've had like seven or eight microbreweries open in the last couple years here, all distinctive, all rather good, and they have some of the nicer interiors of any places to hang out. They're oddly family centric during the day (which is fine), and also some of the only places that allow dogs indoors (they don't serve food, but often have food trucks show up).
The brewery closest to our house is all ages, all the time (although there is a cover charge for under 21 whenever a band is playing). My wife, son, and I will occasionally head over after dinner to hang out in the back area, playing board games and listening to jazz for a bit. It's extremely laid back at all hours due to the type of crowd it draws.

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I do think kids get the short end of the stick by missing out on some things we had back in the 80s/90s, but they have some pretty cool tech toys to replace it.
Yeah, it all balances out. I would have killed for the ability to affordably film and edit my own movies at home as a kid, and I also would have killed for an arcade-quality game experience at home (not to belittle the 2600 or the NES).
Old 03-31-16, 10:48 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
The type of places I use to frequent back in the day, are mostly gone nowadays. (ie. Bookstores, video stores, record stores, arcades, live music nightclubs, etc ...). Even checking out my old stomping grounds (from other cities I use to live in) on google maps streetview, most of these places don't exist today.
Where do you live?

You have to keep in mind that there's been a big demographic shift towards cities in the last twenty years. No one in their early 20s moves into small towns or suburbs if a larger city is nearby.

My mother works about an hour outside of Philadelphia and all the new hires (anyone under 30) live in Philadelphia and commute out to work.

If I was opening a business like the one you mentioned, I would not be doing it in the suburbs.
Old 03-31-16, 11:14 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,372
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Yeah, I used to spend my time in places like book stores, record store and whatever, even *gasp* malls during the early '90s. But those places either closed up or became way uncool, or I just grew out of it.

There are still cool places to hang but it definitely depends on the city. LA (or SF) have places like Amoeba, which I could spend hours at. There's a few smaller vinyl record stores that are cool to hang out in and browse. There are a bunch of micro-breweries around where I live that are fun to hang out at (or even wine bars), either after work or late at night, which have way friendlier atmospheres than your typical bar. There are some trendy-ish restaurants that can be fun as well, but can get expensive. A lot of people hang out at coffee shops too, not just Starbucks, actually it's the independent coffee spots that seem to get a lot of the hang out traffic.

I also go to some local clubs to check out live music on occasion. There are some cool places that are bar/club hybrids that have cool bands playing, while you can get some tasty food and beverages. I guess that's not to different from an old school bar that would have a band playing, but these are definitely a step up with a completely different vibe - again, depends on where you live.

Last edited by slop101; 03-31-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 12:17 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,897
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

I live on the edge of town, but I go into town for work.

Microbreweries sound very tempting, especially if I was younger.
Though unfortunately I haven't consumed any alcohol in almost 20 years, and don't plan on falling off the wagon.
Old 03-31-16, 12:49 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,392
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Microbreweries sound very tempting, especially if I was younger.
Though unfortunately I haven't consumed any alcohol in almost 20 years, and don't plan on falling off the wagon.
People of all ages visit the microbreweries around here, although the crowds of course begin to trend younger the later it gets. Most of the ones around here also offer at least one non-alcoholic option that is made in house, typically a soda.
Old 03-31-16, 01:23 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,372
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Yeah, some micro-breweries will have their own root beers or non-alcoholic cider. They also tend to have games like corn-hole or giant Jenga or trivia-night. They each also have a different food-truck each night, which makes for a fun grab bag of what you might get for food on a given night.
Old 03-31-16, 01:40 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Still may not be the best option for people not looking to drink. That's up to morris to decide.

Any farmer's markets or similar things happen in your neck of the woods? Not really an after-work thing but it's a fun way to spend a weekend morning.

For those who haven't been to NYC in a few years, the record label Rough Trade opened up a performance space / store that's really cool to check out. They sell mostly vinyls and cassettes.

Tomorrow there's a free-with-purchase Weezer concert.

http://www.roughtradenyc.com/
Old 03-31-16, 01:52 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,817
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Last I checked, the national forests were still standing (that's where I spend the majority of my free time now).
Old 03-31-16, 02:02 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,330
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Still may not be the best option for people not looking to drink. That's up to morris to decide.

Any farmer's markets or similar things happen in your neck of the woods? Not really an after-work thing but it's a fun way to spend a weekend morning.

For those who haven't been to NYC in a few years, the record label Rough Trade opened up a performance space / store that's really cool to check out. They sell mostly vinyls and cassettes.

Tomorrow there's a free-with-purchase Weezer concert.

http://www.roughtradenyc.com/
I love NYC but when events like that happen it's just insanity. Gotta line up way too early.

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, I used to spend my time in places like book stores, record store and whatever, even *gasp* malls during the early '90s. But those places either closed up or became way uncool, or I just grew out of it.

There are still cool places to hang but it definitely depends on the city. LA (or SF) have places like Amoeba, which I could spend hours at. There's a few smaller vinyl record stores that are cool to hang out in and browse. There are a bunch of micro-breweries around where I live that are fun to hang out at (or even wine bars), either after work or late at night, which have way friendlier atmospheres than your typical bar. There are some trendy-ish restaurants that can be fun as well, but can get expensive. A lot of people hang out at coffee shops too, not just Starbucks, actually it's the independent coffee spots that seem to get a lot of the hang out traffic.

I also go to some local clubs to check out live music on occasion. There are some cool places that are bar/club hybrids that have cool bands playing, while you can get some tasty food and beverages. I guess that's not to different from an old school bar that would have a band playing, but these are definitely a step up with a completely different vibe - again, depends on where you live.
We stayed across the street from Amoeba (on Sunset) when I was there a few months ago, that place is great.


(For anybody else: the AirBNBs in LA are surprisingly nice if you got a group going.)
Old 03-31-16, 02:02 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,372
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Last I checked, the national forests were still standing (that's where I spend the majority of my free time now).
Yeah, when I want to kill an hour after work before heading home, I may as well drive to Yosemite...
Old 03-31-16, 02:07 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Last I checked, the national forests were still standing (that's where I spend the majority of my free time now).
They're only 1.25 hours away from me!

By plane.
Old 03-31-16, 02:19 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,392
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Last I checked, the national forests were still standing (that's where I spend the majority of my free time now).
This post brought to you by DiscoverTheForest.org. There are some moments that only the forest can inspire!
Old 03-31-16, 03:56 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,817
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, when I want to kill an hour after work before heading home, I may as well drive to Yosemite...
City folk.

A national forest is only 5 minutes down the road for me ... and I have indoor plumbing and electricity!

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
This post brought to you by DiscoverTheForest.org. There are some moments that only the forest can inspire!
Those commercials make me chuckle. I figure if you have to go online to find a forest, you probably should probably stay out of the forest.

Last edited by funkyryno; 03-31-16 at 07:20 PM. Reason: derping
Old 03-31-16, 06:32 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,731
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Things were so much better in the '70s-'80s in a cell phone-free world, when people actually had more places to go in the community. Scratch that. More *free* places to go in the community. Now, there are few places to go that don't cost a lot of coin.

Where are the 19-year olds? Tied to their phones / texting all the time. They're on social media sites. Facebook is a huge time sink. So are thinly-veiled "Netflix parties". I certainly don't see many out biking / walking or hiking like it was when I was that age in the late '80s.

I'd guess that in the country, kids and Millenials do still walk quite a bit. Not in the city...
Old 03-31-16, 07:55 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,372
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

19 year olds aren't on facebook. But yeah, they're certainly on their devices far more than we ever watched TV. Though these devices can lead to some creative stuff, like some interesting youtube videos and what have you. But yeah, there's no agreed upon "place" to go to hang out, because unlike us, they make their fun anywhere they go so and it's easier to meet up with people due to cell phones, so they can meet up literally anywhere on the drop of a dime, and they do.
Old 03-31-16, 08:55 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,679
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Running out of places to go to ? (spin off thread)

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
People of all ages visit the microbreweries around here, although the crowds of course begin to trend younger the later it gets. Most of the ones around here also offer at least one non-alcoholic option that is made in house, typically a soda.
Yeah, that's my experience as well.

The first few microbreweries I went to had really diverse crowds. Everything from college kids to white-hairs. And, yeah, the later it gets, the younger the crowd gets. I was really sort of surprised; I figured the gf and I would be the oldest people there and it would be nothing but hipsters in their twenties.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.