Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Good eats, in Dallas

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Good eats, in Dallas

Old 03-30-16, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good eats, in Dallas

Heading to Dallas, this weekend. Anyone have any recommendations for food, places of interest, and any other tips, about the city?
Old 03-30-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Good eats, in Dallas

Pecan Lodge (BBQ) in Deep Ellum
Old 03-30-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kuby's is pretty unique. Probably a good choice for Breakfast or Lunch.

http://kubys.com/restaurant/
Old 03-30-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if The Traildust is still standing or not, but I used to get a 24oz T-Bone/Porterhouse for $12.99 with beans and bread. Want a baked potato? It's a buck. Thirsty and want a Lone Star? That's a buck, too. Great place to go when on TDY after a long day of meetings.

General note: Cows roam the streets of Dallas / Fort Worth just begging to be eaten. Lots of meat. Very inexpensive. Tons of choices. Have fun.
Old 03-30-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Don't know if The Traildust is still standing or not, but I used to get a 24oz T-Bone/Porterhouse for $12.99 with beans and bread.
Geez - that'd feed ya for what, about three months now?
Old 03-30-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The one place I always hit is Great Outdoors sandwich shop. There are a few locations. Their sandwich called The Invention is one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. They also have great shakes. I prefer pineapple.
Old 03-30-16, 04:23 PM

I make it a point to eat here every time I'm in Dallas. Family run restaurant. Mom works the front, Dad cooks and the kids (grown) wait the tables. Menu is written daily based on the fish selections available. Oysters are good if you like them. They come with a "Heisenberg mignonette", basically a frozen blue concoction that is great on the oysters.

AMBERJAX FISH MARKET GRILLE
3011 Gulden Lane, Suite 107, Dallas, TX 75212 | Call Us (469) 513-9088
Old 03-30-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also went to a place called "Mercado Juarez" with a group of about 30 people once for a company dinner over 20 years ago. We had a great time and I'm pretty sure the food was good, but I had been drinking before, during and after, so I can't say for sure. I see they have multiple locations now. I'm not sure which one we went to, but it was huge. I think it was near a Stadium. Fortunately, I wasn't driving. At the time, I think it was the largest restaurant in the free world or something. Anyway, it was good Tex-Mex and they had an extensive menu with goat and other items if you want to get adventurous.
Old 03-30-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Geez - that'd feed ya for what, about three months now?
Yeah, I suppose it would.

The place is closed, but I found a link to their menu. Seems like prices went up just a little bit in the 30 years since I was there last:

http://www.yellowpages.com/arlington...455634041/menu

16oz T-Bone $23
Potato $2
Old 03-30-16, 05:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Rodeo Goat in Fort Worth is one of my favourites. I think they have a location in Dallas now, too.
Old 03-30-16, 05:56 PM

Bubba's Cooks Country on Hillcrest. The best fried chicken, like your grandma used to make.

Lockhart Smoke House in Bishop Arts District. Sold by the pound and on butcher paper. The brisket is juicy, cooked all day long and needs no sauce.

Flyin Fish at Preston Hollow Shopping Center has a great Sunday raw oyster special. 75 cents each, I think?

Celebration on Lovers Lane is a Dallas institution.
Old 03-30-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by djbrown View Post
Pecan Lodge (BBQ) in Deep Ellum
Solid suggestion. If your in Deep Ellum, be sure and go to Deep Ellum Brewing Company. Just around the corner from Pecan Lodge. Friendly, good beer and my favorite brewery to go to.

Canne Rosso (Pizza) and Serious Pizza both good in Deep Ellum as is Twisted Root (burgers) good.

What part of Dallas will you be?
Old 03-31-16, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know I will get flamed, but if you have the time doing the tour at Jerry World (ATT Stadium where the Cowboys play) Is well worth it. Even if you are not a Cowboy fan or even if you are not a football fan. You go on line and buy tickets at ticket master ($29 I think). I've all but forced some to do it and not a single person that I've spoken to has regretted doing it. It really is an amazing building. And that is only part of it. It house an amazing amount of art.
Old 03-31-16, 11:43 AM

Thanks, for all the wonderful suggestions. I really appreciate it! My friends and I are heading to Wrestlemania, so we'll definitely be heading to "Jerry's World". One of the main reasons, why I wanted to go, is to see that behemoth, of a stadium.
Old 03-31-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tabletopjoe View Post
Thanks, for all the wonderful suggestions. I really appreciate it! My friends and I are heading to Wrestlemania, so we'll definitely be heading to "Jerry's World". One of the main reasons, why I wanted to go, is to see that behemoth, of a stadium.
Check to see if the tour is available the day before or after. I doubt it is. But if it is don't miss the opportunity to see a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.

BTW, Deep Ellum will be a good distance from the stadium. But that or Uptown (just south of downtown Dallas)bare worth going and just hanging out in the area. Enough bars, resturants to walk from one to the other.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-31-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Dallas World Aquarium is really nice if you are into that type of thing.
Old 03-31-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't believe (well, I guess I CAN believe) that they charge $30 even if they have an art museum. We have a world class art museum out here and it's free (except for some occasional exhibits). Not saying it would be cool to check out, though. I guess it has to get paid for somehow.
Old 03-31-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I can't believe (well, I guess I CAN believe) that they charge $30 even if they have an art museum. We have a world class art museum out here and it's free (except for some occasional exhibits). Not saying it would be cool to check out, though. I guess it has to get paid for somehow.
It's more than a museum. And has more art than most museums.

Have you been? It is well worth $30. And like I say, this is much more than me. It is my standard recommendation for out of towners. I bet I've had two dozen co-workers, friends and family go through and every one thought it was good and worthwhile. They also keep the tours small.

BTW you can read reviews of the stadium and tour at TripAdvisor, Yelp and TicketMaster. All reflect 4.5-5 stars at out 5.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-31-16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
It's more than a museum.
Well, duh.