Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Man arrested after 14 years for not returning VHS rental (not FL, not Alan Smithee)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Man arrested after 14 years for not returning VHS rental (not FL, not Alan Smithee)

Old 03-24-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concord man arrested for not returning VHS rental 14 years later

CONCORD, N.C. — A Concord man was arrested for failing to return a 2002 VHS rental movie, “Freddy Got Fingered.”

James Meyers showed Channel 9 the arrest warrant Wednesday. It shows Meyers is charged with failure to return rental property, a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $200.

The rental store in Kannapolis, J&J’s Video, has since closed, but Meyers was still given an April 27 court date for failing to return the gross-out comedy about a cartoonist returning home to live with his parents.

Meyers said he was driving his daughter to school on Concord Parkway Tuesday morning when a Concord police officer pulled him over for a tail-light that was out.

Meyers said the officer ran his license and approximately 25 minutes later asked him to step out of the vehicle.

“The officer said, 'I don’t know how to tell you this but there’s a warrant out for your arrest from 2002. Apparently you rented the movie "Freddy Got Fingered" and never returned it.' I thought he was joking,” said Meyers.

Meyers said the officers were very polite and professional. They let him take his daughter to school and go to work as long as he promised to turn himself into the police department later that day.

Meyers said he thought everything would get straightened out at the department. He was surprised when officers arrested him and then took him to the magistrate’s office.

“For the first time I got put in handcuffs,” said Meyers.

Meyers said he vaguely remembers renting the particular movie from the family-owned video store in Kannapolis.

The 2001 movie “Freddy Got Fingered” starred comedian Tom Green.

On Wednesday night, Meyers received a call from Green, the writer-director-star of “Freddy” who reached out after Meyers’ friend shared the story with him on Twitter, according to The New York Daily News.

Green, who is currently on a stand-up comedy tour in Australia, told the Daily News that he is happy to support fans of his film, which was the subject of terrible reviews and currently has an 11 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

The 44-year-old comedian told the Daily News that he could put in a good word with the court or even help out financially as long as the outcome doesn’t involve an outrageous sum.

“If it’s 200 bucks of course I’ll pay it for him, just for the principle of the thing,” Green said.

Meyers told Channel 9 he can only hope the charges get dismissed.

He added that he had been pulled over since the warrant was issued in 2002, but had never heard about the lost tape.

“They’re not focusing on the crimes I think they should be focusing on,” said Meyers. “That hour the cops sat out there with me, the hour and a half I was down in the magistrate's office could have been spent somewhere else.”
As if watching that film wasn't punishment enough...
Old 03-24-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Man arrested after 14 years for not returning VHS rental (not FL, not Alan Smithe

Bizarre. What grounds are there for a now vanished business to recover any funds?
Old 03-24-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Man arrested after 14 years for not returning VHS rental (not FL, not Alan Smithe

It probably has nothing to do with the business, and everything to do with the bench warrant never being vacated.
Old 03-24-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

"Freddy Got Fingered" ... Cop should have just shot him on the spot. Good thing it wasn't "Next Friday" or he would have.

On a more serious note, Printerati is correct. Should the state proceed with this travesty, the odds are no one will show up to testify and it will be dismissed. I spent quite a few years in the rental business but had never heard of this tactic. Hell, I couldn't get my company to even let us press charges on actual thieves.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-24-16 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crap! I have a library book that I never returned, from about 30 years ago.

Will be looking over my shoulder.

Incidentally, kudos on the thread title. I chuckled at that.
Old 03-24-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not that he didn't return it, he probably threw it away. I can honestly say that was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Good on Green though for being cool about it and offering to help.
Old 03-24-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 03-24-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And I would double the fine if the tape wasn't rewound
Old 03-24-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I can honestly say that was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
I love Tom Green, but have to agree.

Is it not weird that the officer would know the name of the exact movie?
Old 03-24-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked Freddy Got Fingered, I never got around to buying it on dvd, still need to track it down. The case will be dropped.
Old 03-24-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope the video store fingered the right guy.
Old 03-24-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care. I love this movie. It's hilarious. Just the combination of Green's over the top ridiculousness with Rip Torn's straight man gets me. The scene in the restaurant is amazing. It's just a really stupid, ridiculous movie that's too weird for some but I enjoy it anyway.
Old 03-24-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the statute of limitations on this type of "crime"?
Old 03-24-16, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Freddy Got Fingered is pure genius. I would go to jail for that movie, for sure.
Old 03-24-16, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guilty, by 2002 he should have been doing DVD.
Old 03-24-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
What's the statute of limitations on this type of "crime"?
An arrest warrant extends any statute of limitations. As long as the warrant is out there....the person can be prosecuted.

I'm guessing this one will get tossed....ridiculous if you ask me. Its nearly a civil agreement between the renter and the store.

I know jurisdictions that don't even charge gas driveoffs anymore...which is theft.
Old 03-24-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, there's no statute of limitations with respect to warrants out for arrest, particularly for misdemeanors of little import? Scary... And even more so that the cops are wasting their time in going after this guy.
Old 03-24-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe the judge who issued the warrant is a huge fan of Freddie Got Fingered.
Old 03-24-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Guilty, by 2002 he should have been doing DVD.
This.

I paid $1100 or so for my top of the line Sony DVD player back in the late 90's.
Old 03-24-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
So, there's no statute of limitations with respect to warrants out for arrest, particularly for misdemeanors of little import? Scary... And even more so that the cops are wasting their time in going after this guy.
As FiveO was saying, the warrant tolls the statute of limitations. Statutes of limitations are designed to set a time frame in which proceedings can be initiated... once the complaint is signed and the warrant is issued, the action is initiated.

And there was no "going after this guy"... he got encountered on a traffic stop.

The case will get tossed. At the court I used to work at, I know for a fact that there were many warrants for defunct places (like Home Quarters Warehouse, which has been out of business for decades).
Old 03-24-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe that turns on that James guy. Maybe that's how he gets his kicks. Him and his good-time buddies. Well I got a flash for you, joy boy's. Party time is over. Return your library books and movie rentals or else.
Old 03-24-16, 10:37 PM
Suspended

School me this, Captain Marvel. Apparently warrants are written in such detail that "Freddy Got Fingered" was included in the APB? The officer doesn't know how to tell him about the APB but he knows the title of the movie. Great work, Detective!!

“The officer said, 'I don’t know how to tell you this but there’s a warrant out for your arrest from 2002. Apparently you rented the movie "Freddy Got Fingered" and never returned it.' I thought he was joking,” said Meyers.
Old 03-25-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not even sure what you're asking.

The complaint would specify the exact property taken. The warrant would likely just list the criminal charge only.
Old 03-25-16, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

There was another story like this recently, I forget how that one turned out. Seems weird they'd do anything about this when the store already went under; I heard people were "renting" stuff from Blockbuster the last week they were open and never returning it since they knew nobody would come after them.

This movie actually is partly to blame for starting my DVD collection's growth spurt, as I bought it for about $3 on Black Friday at Wal-Mart- I couldn't believe they were selling it that cheap, so I just had to get it. I'll side with classifying it as a "misunderstood masterpiece", as Tom Green obviously wasn't trying to make anything great which puts it ahead of so many other painfully unfunny comedies out there. I just wish I'd have swiped the 35mm print of it when I had the chance- the movie was very short, barely filling out 4 reels altogether.
Old 03-25-16, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
I'm not even sure what you're asking.

The complaint would specify the exact property taken. The warrant would likely just list the criminal charge only.

Exactly.

When the officer stopped him...the readout on the squad computer would just say "theft, bail: $xxx.xx

There may have been notes available in the NCIC readout...or the officer had the ability to pull up the warrant on his computer.

Stop blaming this on LE...if a Judge signs a warrant this is out of LE's hands. Its a Judicial order...simple as that.

The stupid part is that it stayed in the system this long. Probably overlooked. Should have been dropped years ago or not even charged.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.