Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever have idiopathic adhesive capsulitis, aka frozen shoulder?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-22-16, 05:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a bitch! They basically don't really know why it happens and there is no universally successful treatment. If you get it, you basically get stuck with three stages. Edit to add link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhe...is_of_shoulder

Stage One, the Pain - 2-9 months where you shoulder slowly 'freezes' to the point where you have very little movement. During this process it hurts like hell and absolutely nothing helps the pain.

Stage Two, the Freeze - 4-9 months of the pain slowly improving but your shoulder is stiff. Like 20% of your normal range of movement.

Stage Three, the Thaw - 5-26 months where you gradually regain movement. Most get back up to 90% of where they were.

This blows. I'm still in stage one and the pain is like a 24/7 three or four out of ten, but climbs to short bursts of ten/ten depending on my movement. It's my dominant arm and I already can't reach into my pockets well, hold the steering wheel for long, or put my hand over my head.

My doctor and websites say that sometimes physical therapy or shoulder surgery or cortisone shots can help the pain or speed the process, but often nothing really helps and you just have to wait the bitch out.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-24-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Anyone ever have idiopathic adhesive capsulitis, aka frozen shoulder?

How'd you get that? Too much slow-pitch softball?
Old 02-22-16, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you still masturbate? If you can't, you might as well end it right here.
Old 02-22-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never had this, but I've gotten the cold shoulder many a time...does that count?
Old 02-22-16, 06:12 PM
Banned

This frozen shoulder sounds bad. At least you have another arm to jerk with.

Maybe this helps the OP?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a9bOTt-VnHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-22-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, had this about 10 years ago. It was in my left shoulder (I'm right-handed) and lasted about a year. Pain in the ass... huh... shoulder. I remember at the time reading: "More prevalent in women and older people". Typical, I always get crap that's meant for other people.
Old 02-22-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to assume that what I had is close enough, as it was described to me as "frozen shoulder". I was in Stage 1 for longer than 9 months - as I recall - and never got to Stages 2 or 3; just the first stage continuing to get worse. 20% movement is about where I was, with extreme pain if I moved beyond that range. Speaking to my sister who is in the medical field had me afraid that surgery was the only way to fix it. I decided to try other methods first (being scared of the idea of cutting cut open). Acupuncture did nothing. Chiropractor made the pain worse.

A neighbor convinced me to try a chiropractor that she knew. Given her recommendation, I figured I'd give him a shot. He's the one who told me I had frozen shoulder - caused by a buildup of scar tissue (cause unknown). He also said he had a treatment plan that would take 10 or 12 visits (this was close to 10 years ago, so some details are fuzzy). But, since it wasn't crazy expensive, I went for it. And it worked. It was a slow-ish recovery given the time I had let it build up, but within a few weeks I was seeing definite improvement, and by 6 months I was at 100% mobility. And I still am.

His treatment involved - damn, I wish I could recall - microwaves? Whatever - it was a device to break up the scar tissue. That, and some movement exercises between sessions was all it took. In all honesty, I was damn impressed with the results (and avoided the very expensive surgery my sister insisted I needed).

From my own experience, I know that chiropractic practitioners can vary wildly, but if you know of one you feel good about, I say give that a try. Good luck! I know the pain and lack of movement can be very frustrating.
Old 02-22-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 02-22-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some of the stuff I read on this forum makes me feel terrified about getting older.
Old 02-22-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some OT pros say adding a gradual increase in weight lifting reps (and increasing weight) could help. Basically you're building new muscle which should break away and break up the scar tissue.

I would even try L-Carnitine of about 2500mg a day with weights.

You are pretty much doing an intensive muscle building routine. Add this with a chiro who knows what this is and you should do well. But seriously do not wait on this. Start working that shoulder asap.

And avoid Cortisone shots and surgery.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-22-16 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Note: There's absolutely nothing you can do during the "freezing stage". It's gonna "freeze" regardless of how much money you spend on chiro, physio, etc... Once that's over with, then see a chiropractor, physio, etc... and get an exercise routine that will help break the scar tissue.
Old 02-23-16, 04:48 PM

Frozen shoulder sucks ass. Had it in my right shoulder for god knows how long. Couldn't scratch my back or reach high to the front or side. It was a struggle to get my wallet out. Sudden movements to the shoulder would send shock waves of pain thru the whole area. Cortisone shots into the shoulder hurt like hell and did very little. Physical therapy was a waste of money for me. There are a couple of stretches that do help.

What's really fun is when you're at the tail end of it all and you start getting movement back, then bam, your other shoulder gets it as well. Son of a bitch!!! Did the shot again but no PT again for me. Just dealt with it the second time around. I guess both shoulders are back to normal.

Good luck.

Last edited by MysteryX01; 02-23-16 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I'm going to assume that what I had is close enough, as it was described to me as "frozen shoulder". I was in Stage 1 for longer than 9 months - as I recall - and never got to Stages 2 or 3; just the first stage continuing to get worse. 20% movement is about where I was, with extreme pain if I moved beyond that range. Speaking to my sister who is in the medical field had me afraid that surgery was the only way to fix it. I decided to try other methods first (being scared of the idea of cutting cut open). Acupuncture did nothing. Chiropractor made the pain worse.

A neighbor convinced me to try a chiropractor that she knew. Given her recommendation, I figured I'd give him a shot. He's the one who told me I had frozen shoulder - caused by a buildup of scar tissue (cause unknown). He also said he had a treatment plan that would take 10 or 12 visits (this was close to 10 years ago, so some details are fuzzy). But, since it wasn't crazy expensive, I went for it. And it worked. It was a slow-ish recovery given the time I had let it build up, but within a few weeks I was seeing definite improvement, and by 6 months I was at 100% mobility. And I still am.

His treatment involved - damn, I wish I could recall - microwaves? Whatever - it was a device to break up the scar tissue. That, and some movement exercises between sessions was all it took. In all honesty, I was damn impressed with the results (and avoided the very expensive surgery my sister insisted I needed).

From my own experience, I know that chiropractic practitioners can vary wildly, but if you know of one you feel good about, I say give that a try. Good luck! I know the pain and lack of movement can be very frustrating.
Was it, perhaps, ultrasound?

And damn, this shit sounds awful.
Old 02-23-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Chiropractors' treatment plans always last - coincidentally - the exact number of sessions your insurance will pay for.

I have never heard of this, but damn. I get more than my fair share of joints locking up (the neck is the worst) but it has always been relatively momentary. I can't even imagine something lasting years and then clearing up. (Insert marriage/divorce joke here.)
Old 02-23-16, 08:38 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never heard of this frozen thing. It sounds horrible. I wish you luck OP.
Old 02-23-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Was it, perhaps, ultrasound?

And damn, this shit sounds awful.
Yeah! That sounds right.

And yeah, it IS awful!
Old 02-23-16, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

not idiopathic but frozen shoulder on purpose. 2nd dislocation of my shoulder, quite a nasty one. things were quite loose in there so doc gave me options of A) surgery or B) letting the scar tissue build up and getting a frozen shoulder then breaking it down.

I wasn't allowed to move my arm forward or back, internal/external rotate, or move it from my side any further than to put deodorant on for about 6 wks or 2 months (details sketchy). then once it was "frozen", we worked on my range of motion with wall walks, stretches, massage, etc. that part hurt like holy fuck balls for me, much worse than the not moving the shoulder part...

PS I had to learn to wipe m ass with my other hand.... that was, um, interesting and sadly not as easy as you think

PSS how many people are actually thinking about trying to wipe their ass with their other hand to see what I am talking about?
Old 02-23-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was diagnosed as idiopathic at an early age. They didn't say anything about shoulders, though.
Old 02-24-16, 07:19 AM

Wow, I'm back!!

I had frozen shoulder about seven years ago in my off side. Very painful, couldn't sleep for longer than two hours before I would move my left arm and the pain would just shoot through me. The pain was way worse than shingles, which was very painful in it self.

I went through a lot of Advil but declined the cortisone shots. When my shoulder started loosening up, went through PT which was tough to get through a session. All in all. I think it lasted over a year and a half.
Old 02-24-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by krkuhl View Post
I had to learn to wipe m ass with my other hand.... that was, um, interesting and sadly not as easy as you think
Yup. Broke my right hand years ago and had to wipe with my left. Plenty of hand washing going on during that period.
Old 02-24-16, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. What eXcentris said confirms what my doctor and most of the Internet says, there's really nothing I can do during this first freezing stage. It's going to freeze up no matter what I do, then later I can think about PT and other options.

It's giving me a new appreciation for people who live with chronic pain. Even Vicodin isn't helping the pain at all, and sleeping is tough. I think it's taking me about 12 hours in bed to just get maybe 6 somewhat solid hours. Melatonin and a muscle relaxer haven't really helped with the sleep yet, but hopefully I'll find a combination of heat/position/pills to help me get through the nights.

My wife and daughter keep suggesting amputation, and it's starting to sound wonderful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhe...is_of_shoulder
Originally Posted by Havoc101 View Post
Wow, I'm back!!
Wait, to compound my physical misery, this thread somehow brought you back from exile?
Old 02-24-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I'm back!!
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Mabuse posted something earlier in the thread.
Old 02-24-16, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Mabuse posted something earlier in the thread.
I didn't even realized that he posted. But I did read his thread about Asian children, how that guy is still around here is beyond me...
Old 02-24-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't even realized that he posted. But I did read his thread about Asian children, how that guy is still around ANYWHERE is beyond me...
Fixed...
Old 04-26-16, 05:39 PM

Update to help me wallow in self pity.

I'm still in the first stage, the one with constant pain and no sleep. I sleep in mostly 1-2 hours spurts, maybe 2 or 3 of those a night. I've slept 4 hours in a row exactly three times since Christmas, each time because I took ambien. It gives me 4 blackout hours, but then complete insomnia, so I'm not sure which 'sleep' is worse.

I'm in a state of constant fatigue, physical but mainly mental. I have answered the phone at work, "mayonnaise, can I help you?" I often almost drive off the road in my commute. The pain is constant but bearable, but this lack of sleep is kicking my ass. I used to live on maybe 4-5 hours a night, but they were solid hours. Not getting consistent deep sleep messes you up. And all these meds mess your crap up, literally.

I've been struggling to work all year, but have finally thrown in the towel and am starting FMLA tomorrow. All things considered, there are a lot of worse conditions out there. This is one where almost everyone eventually gets back around 90% of their range of motion and life goes on as before. But holy crap, the 1-3 years it takes to get there (on average) are the pits.

I'm going to start experimenting with more ambien. I apologize in advance for any 'drunk' posting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.