Reload this Page >

I have Jury Duty!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I have Jury Duty!

Old 02-22-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Jury Duty!

Currently sitting in the juror pool room waiting for everyone (approximately 400 people) to slowly check in so that we can actually get started. I am flabbergasted at the amount of idiocy and sheep mentality that I'm already seeing. I've got one hour down and nine more to go potentially.

Anyone else get picked for this prestigious honor?
Old 02-22-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: I have Jury Duty!

Yeah, once. Had a nice long 90 min lunch break downtown San Diego. They were filling up the jury and I was next in line for the last alternate spot but they took the guy before me.

I don't understand what you mean by "sheep mentality" since you pretty much have to follow the court's procedure. It's not like you have a choice to do whatever you want.
Old 02-22-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought cell phones were banned?
Old 02-22-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had JD once, right after I turned 18. The case I was up for was a parole hearing for a convicted child molester. The defense was very quick to dismiss me due to my age.
Old 02-22-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tom, it was just a couple minor annoyances. After the clerk gave the instructions people still asked the exact same questions that were already answered. There was literally someone that walked in an asked where to go and was told to have a seat. He asked where the seats were. The whole room is full of seats and chairs. Also, due to the large juror pool today there were multiple checkin lines and people wouldn't use the other free lines because they were told that half would use one line and half the other line.

I'm just grumpy this morning I guess.

Also, I'm just in the selection pool now. We haven't been asked to go to any courtrooms yet so everything is allowed besides local news in any form,
Old 02-22-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Got called for jury duty one time and made the cut! I enjoyed the experience.
Old 02-22-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 View Post
Tom, it was just a couple minor annoyances. After the clerk gave the instructions people still asked the exact same questions that were already answered. There was literally someone that walked in an asked where to go and was told to have a seat. He asked where the seats were. The whole room is full of seats and chairs. Also, due to the large juror pool today there were multiple checkin lines and people wouldn't use the other free lines because they were told that half would use one line and half the other line.

I'm just grumpy this morning I guess.

Also, I'm just in the selection pool now. We haven't been asked to go to any courtrooms yet so everything is allowed besides local news in any form,
I hear ya. Hopefully things will get moving quickly and it doesn't get stretched to another day for selection.
Old 02-22-16, 11:40 AM

I was part of a jury on a first-degree murder trial back in 2012. We were sequestered for about a week. It was a unique experience, but not sure I would want to do it again.
Old 02-22-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only good news is that in Nevada we have a one day and done jury selection process. If you're not picked today then they can't randomly call you back for at least 18 months.
Old 02-22-16, 11:44 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been called for jury duty 4 times in the past 10 years. It kinda sucks. My wife has never been called.
Old 02-22-16, 11:45 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

jury duty 3 times. the first time, the group i was in was not needed, got dismissed and credited for the week. twice after that got selected and sat on a case. enjoyed it both times. the first case was in downtown LA and got to explore around during breaks. Grand Central market was waaaaaay different back then.

the jury waiting room is the worst (as in most boring) part and most people get their impression of jury duty from that. once you get called in, it gets fun. especially going through voir dire (where the lawyers try to select and/or weed out jurors. some people have some really fascinating stories to tell; others you can tell are just trying to bullshit their way out of getting picked
Old 02-22-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seven years ago I was picked to serve on an attempted murder trial. It lasted two weeks and was an eye opening experience. Even though I was satisfied with the verdict, the behavior I witnessed from other jurors while getting to that verdict made me have even less faith in the justice system.
Old 02-22-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was picked as an alternate juror for a sexual assault case. It was pretty open and shut, the 16 y.o. victim was credible and calm with her testimony and the defendant was super creepy and kept changing his story. It was a valuable experience, the reality of the case of an 16 y.o. victim gave me a great appreciation of our justice system. I have zero patience for people who want to weasel out of jury duty.
Old 02-22-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotten questionnaires for Jury Duty in the mail a couple of times, but never got called. I've always sent them back without applying postage, as it doesn't say to apply postage, and they print their address in both the to and from areas of the return envelope, so I figure it will get to them regardless.

I don't know if the fact that I do that stops them from calling me, but as long as I don't get called, I will continue to do it that way, lol.

My wife got one last year though that made you do it online though, so those days may be over. She had a date that she was supposed to report and everything, but the day before, her status on the website changed to "Not Scheduled to Report", so she didn't go.
Old 02-22-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My fears have been confirmed. They are calling people up to the courtrooms now, but they are doing it according to badge number. It's around 30 people at a time and I am number 398. This looks like a full day of waiting.
Old 02-22-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Currently sitting in the juror pool room waiting for everyone (approximately 400 people) to slowly check in so that we can actually get started. I am flabbergasted at the amount of idiocy and sheep mentality that I'm already seeing. I've got one hour down and nine more to go potentially.

Interesting.

When I have been called, there is no internet, no phone, no access of any kind.
Old 02-22-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've received a summons 3 times. The first time I tossed it in the trash. Then they started attaching warning notices detailing fines and punishments for not calling. I've called the last two times, but have never had to go to the courthouse.
Old 02-22-16, 12:23 PM
RIP

I've been called a few times, but always tell them I read the "Cops Behaving Badly" thread quite often and I end up getting dismissed.
Old 02-22-16, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I made the cut last fall, but the case was settled right before it was about to start.

10 bucks for showing up.
Old 02-22-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Seven years ago I was picked to serve on an attempted murder trial. It lasted two weeks and was an eye opening experience. Even though I was satisfied with the verdict, the behavior I witnessed from other jurors while getting to that verdict made me have even less faith in the justice system.
I had a similar experience when I was on the jury for a civil trial. In the jury room, the lack of objectivity and refusal to follow clearly stated juror instructions was astounding. In my case, I wasn't satisfied with the decision, but it didn't matter because unanimity wasn't required.
Old 02-22-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I've been eligible I have been called to jury duty every 18-24 months. We have two different types of courts so the grace period of one doesn't preclude you from the other. The first time a sheriff's deputy visit the house to drop off the summons. It freaked my mother out since I was at college at the time. In ten tries I have never made it on to a jury.
Old 02-22-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually WANT to go on jury duty. First time I was still a permanent resident and had to excuse myself then like 9 years later they call me again and the night before tell me through the automated system not to show up
Old 02-22-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only been in a jury box once for a murder trial. I said I had several friends who were peace officers and added that the defendant was most likely guilty; otherwise, he wouldn't be on trial. I was dismissed right away.
Old 02-22-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was called in twice (over a 20 year period). 1st time was when I was still in undergrad college. I got selected. It was a civil lawsuit. The whole thing (selection included) only took a day and half. It was cool to see the process (and be part of it).

I got called in the second time more recently. I (unintentionally) blew selection by blurting out too many details of the earlier case ... like that we had found for the defendant They didn't pick me but made me sit around the waiting room for the rest of that day and most of the next. People that were picked got an easy trial and actually got to be finished earlier than me
Old 02-22-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And now somehow we skipped from juror numbers 280 right through to 600. We were told that they only go through numbers consecutively until they don't... wtf...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.