Reload this Page >

Need car advice

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Need car advice

Old 02-17-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Need car advice

I'm looking to buy a cheap used car. Found a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 200,000 miles for $500. Ad says rear brake line rusted out over axle.

How much of an expense would that be? And realistically, how many more miles could I get out of something like this?
Old 02-17-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Need car advice

You may have to end up replacing the entire brake line system to be safe. Then you'd have to be sure the axle wasn't compromised. If you're mechanically inclined, this won't be too bad, but second option would be a repair shop you've dealt with before, and the last option would be to try to find somebody to do it. I'm guessing maybe around $700-1000 to do everything with minimal axle involvement.

If everything else is in good shape, that's not a bad deal.
Old 02-17-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't know how to do that myself. Doesn't really sound like an expensive repair but what do I know.
Old 02-17-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really is going to depend on who you can find to do it for a reasonable price. Sounds like general online "advice", I know. If I was in MA, I'd go with you (for a fee of a nice hamburger and fries--I've been craving french fries lately). Be sure to get at least two opinions and maybe even three. This shouldn't be too difficult for the shop to do, unless the rust has bonded a lot of the areas to get to the brake lines, etc. They'll charge you labor on that time getting the pieces out and sometimes they'll just torch the sucker and have to do everything from scratch, so that's where it could get expensive. But a good shop will tell you just from a quick look see when the Jeep is on the lift.
Old 02-17-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, I'm in really shitty part of Ma. for food.

I'm still in early stages but I'm thinking of contacting owner. I wish I knew more about car repairs but I do appreciate the advice.
Old 02-17-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I'm looking to buy a cheap used car. Found a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 200,000 miles for $500. Ad says rear brake line rusted out over axle.

How much of an expense would that be? And realistically, how many more miles could I get out of something like this?
If you can find a decent downhill slope, I'd say 200,001.
Old 02-17-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local shop should be able to do it for $2-300, and as DVD Pol said, you'll want to do them all around.

However, given that you are in the northeast, and the brake lines are rusted out, and it's only $500, then I would guess the body isn't far behind. And since that Jeep is a unibody, the body is the structure of the vehicle.

$500 cars are usually money pits unless you are mechanically inclined or are good friends with someone who is.
Old 02-17-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post

How much of an expense would that be?
Sounds like about $500
Old 02-17-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the car in for state inspection. It might need thousands of dollars of repairs to get it to pass.

I used to have a $500 car, and it was a good little car, but that was 30 years ago. Even then I spent a lot of weekends doing repairs in the driveway. But I don't think you can find anything worthwhile for $500 anymore.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-17-16 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth, I have a '98 Grand Cherokee with 254k miles on it.
Old 02-18-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so proud of my 02 Chevy Cavalier. Sooo much better than paying a car bill. Even when I have a problem here and there that costs $200 or $300 to fix.

My answer: if you're serious about buying it, call up a mechanic that you trust and they'll do an inspection. You can't afford to go to one of the name brand places. Those guys want to charge you ridiculous minimum labor fees on each part.

Looks like a whole kit (10 or so lines) is around $200. But you might end up finding other problems.
Old 02-18-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if you bought that car, your username would be most appropriate.