Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone purchased a HVAC system online?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-05-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My compressor went up in smoke today. I still have my emergency electric heat and a pellet stove.

I work for a large commercial HVAC company, but we're no longer able to buy residential systems through our distributor.

One of our refrigeration guys has been my residential guy for the couple of years. I'm not licensed. I've basically kept it alive with refrigerant and constantly un-sticking my reversing valve.

He's had several people lately ordering systems online and he'll install and run the copper. Most systems come pre-charged these days so.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has ordered a system online and if so where?
I should note my current system is R-22 and the refrigerant is ungodly expensive. 410A is much much cheaper and I'm looking to make the switch.

TIA
Old 02-05-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Has anyone purchased a HVAC system online?

Sorry I don't have an answer, but do you really need air conditioning this time of year?
Old 02-05-16, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Sorry I don't have an answer, but do you really need air conditioning this time of year?
Sounds like a reversible heat pump system.

His compressor went bad. Unless he wants to pay for the emergency heat, he needs it fixed/replaced.
Old 02-05-16, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a new Rheem heat pump in 2013. I bought it through a local HVAC company who installed it. While I was deciding on a brand, I did happen to notice that there are ebay and amazon sellers for HVAC units.
Old 02-05-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
I got a new Rheem heat pump in 2013. I bought it through a local HVAC company who installed it. While I was deciding on a brand, I did happen to notice that there are ebay and amazon sellers for HVAC units.
My system was/is a Rheem. Yes the compressor is bad and it is a heat pump system. I could buy a new compressor, but just the R22 would be over $300. You can't or really shouldn't recover any R22 from a bad compressor since it could be contaminated which in turn could ruin the new compressor.

I'm finding split systems online from several sites for roughly $2000 (Condenser & Air Handler). I'm just trying to find some information from anyone that has gone this route.
Old 02-08-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I've gone with several split systems on rentals. They are freaking amazing, provided your home is laid out to take advantage of it. Here is what I noticed with them....

1) They are quieter than anything you've likely seen. They installed mine next to a window that opens and I was worried about the noise. Open the window and figured it was off until I saw the grass around it moving from the fan.

2) My HVAC guy says that Mitsubishi is the only brand he will use. I trust him completely and have never had a problem.

3) They have so few problems. You should make sure to get a surge protector on your meter, because the computer boards can be prone to being fried, so you want good, conditioned electricity.

4) They are only "supplemental" heat, so in my area you must have back up heat. I've never had it so cold that it wouldn't warm a place.

5) Their efficiency is off the chart. Cheapest heat there is, but some of that is obviously because you don't have ducts to lose heat in.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan. But I wouldn't ever get one from anyone but Mitsubishi.