Reload this Page >

IT cyber security jobs

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

IT cyber security jobs

Old 02-04-16, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IT cyber security jobs

I have been looking at changing my career field and getting into the ever popular IT field which is something I've wanted to do a while. Anyone here have much experience in this field as opposed to just information technology. This seems to have a pretty good career outlook
Old 02-04-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: IT cyber security jobs

I work in I/S Security right now (specifically Cyber Incident Response). How knowledgeable are you on IT in general? IMO it is best to have a solid background in IT before you try to tackle security.
Old 02-04-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw that movie Blackhat twice. The first time I was really drunk, but it still counts. Not only am I totally down with IT cybercrimes, but I also meet the handsomeness requirement as established by Chris Hemsworth. Two questions:

Are there really as many high octane fist fights and car chases? And when do I start?

Last edited by Mabuse; 02-04-16 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 06:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I work in I/S Security right now (specifically Cyber Incident Response). How knowledgeable are you on IT in general? IMO it is best to have a solid background in IT before you try to tackle security.
That sounds pretty interesting. I too have been interested in cyber security, possibly even white hat stuff.. though I def don't have any hacking skills and not sure how much of that stuff is fairly easy to pick up.

My bachelors is actually in IT with a minor in security. But don't know how well the courses and material make for a translation into real world applications.
Old 02-04-16, 08:43 PM
Banned

I plan on going to school and learning it. I have no it experience so I thought maybe school would be a good place to start
Old 02-04-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I currently work in the field, it has good job security, pays well (especially with certs, such as a CISSP and CCNP (Cisco) Security), and isn't a horribly difficult field to get accustom to (You need to know some programming, and a lot of networking).

Also, expect to write, a lot. And get familiar with Linux, it isn't a requirement but it will help you a lot with various tool kits. Digital Forensics background also helps.
Old 02-04-16, 09:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I currently work in the field, it has good job security, pays well (especially with certs, such as a CISSP and CCNP (Cisco) Security), and isn't a horribly difficult field to get accustom to (You need to know some programming, and a lot of networking).

Also, expect to write, a lot. And get familiar with Linux, it isn't a requirement but it will help you a lot with various tool kits. Digital Forensics background also helps.
Digital Forensics is another one that interests me. But a lot of what I read requires law enforcement background. Not sure if that is actually the case though.
Old 02-04-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
Digital Forensics is another one that interests me. But a lot of what I read requires law enforcement background. Not sure if that is actually the case though.
That is decreasingly true. The % of forensic examiners who carry a badge and gun continues to go down every year.

As for cyber security, depends on what you want to do. If you want to do operational work (as in network security monitoring, incident response, etc.) rather than being some deadbeat compliance coordinator or paper pusher, you need to know networking stuff really, really well. It also helps to have some solid analysis skills be comfortable with data manipulation and extraction (knowing command line tools for doing so is a big bonus) and perhaps at least some basic skills in a useful scripting language like perl, python or Ruby, with particular strength in regular expressions. A big chunk of effective operational security work is being able to handle and extract useful data from large log files, etc.
Old 02-05-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
Plenty of folks doing system forensics outside of Law Enforcement these days. I don't think it is where most people start out in security though.

IMO at least for my space (malware investigation / incident response) a background where you learn a lot about IT in general helps.

System administration, networking, especially how systems work in general. In the case of Windows, for example, Registry, system startup, processes, services, etc. Networking-wise, knowing the basics of how DNS works, FTP works, telnet works, etc. Like jfoo says, analysis skills.

Then again I wasn't that great with Excel when I started, but I got better in a hurry - ditto with RegEx (I don't breathe it but can do it a bit), Active Directory, etc.

I was dabbling in this for years on a small scale cleaning folks' computers of malware. You pick up a lot of malware knowledge that way. If it wasn't for malware I probably wouldn't understand the hosts file, for example.

There's also growth in what I like to call the paperwork-y side of security - writing policy, governance, auditing stuff, etc. Less hands-on type knowledge there and more theory - I can't attest to that side very much.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-05-16 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-05-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work for CompTIA, and there is over 400k open jobs in the IT field, but I remind people there is tons of money to be made in non technical roles. Marketing, sales, etc. In fact the "golden goose" is a technical person that can sell. Engineers certainly can make great money, but there is money all over IT and lots of jobs.
Old 02-05-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
I plan on going to school and learning it. I have no it experience so I thought maybe school would be a good place to start
You have a ways to go then. You need to learn all the fundamentals first. Definitely need to learn how an environment is setup from scratch so basically......all infrastructure/networking.

While it's not required that you be a pro in everything...when it comes to security, you somewhat should be - it will only make you better anyway.
Old 02-05-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I work for CompTIA, and there is over 400k open jobs in the IT field, but I remind people there is tons of money to be made in non technical roles. Marketing, sales, etc. In fact the "golden goose" is a technical person that can sell. Engineers certainly can make great money, but there is money all over IT and lots of jobs.
I have a buddy that works on a two person sales/technical team for Cisco and Juniper equipment, last I checked his salary was approaching $200k (in a low cost of living area of Florida, albeit with lots of travel). That really is the golden goose.

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
You have a ways to go then. You need to learn all the fundamentals first. Definitely need to learn how an environment is setup from scratch so basically......all infrastructure/networking.

While it's not required that you be a pro in everything...when it comes to security, you somewhat should be - it will only make you better anyway.
You can get a security job with far less knowledge, in fact most that work in the field don't have the knowledge you would expect, as you generally are talking above the heads of many people who hire you on (outside of a consulting firm). It's kind of a problem with IT in general.
Old 02-05-16, 11:22 AM

I want the job that Penn Jillette had in "Hackers". A guy in a security guard outfit that literally sat inside the computer.
Old 02-05-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually if you aren't that technical, I would recommend other types of IT jobs, and then learn on the job about what you want to get into. Many companies will help you at least with basic training and possibly pay for your certification classes/exams.

However I tell people all the time, it's your real world experience that will get you hired, unless you have a laundry list of the top certs. One or two certs and no experience will probably not get you the security job you want.

You can go to my companies website for tons of great free info on jobs, etc...
http://certification.comptia.org/it-career-news

-Chris
Old 02-05-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I have a buddy that works on a two person sales/technical team for Cisco and Juniper equipment, last I checked his salary was approaching $200k (in a low cost of living area of Florida, albeit with lots of travel). That really is the golden goose.

You can get a security job with far less knowledge, in fact most that work in the field don't have the knowledge you would expect, as you generally are talking above the heads of many people who hire you on (outside of a consulting firm). It's kind of a problem with IT in general.
Which is why I recommend he learns a ton - there are too many lazy bastards in the field as it is now and they drag everyone down because they don't know shit - I literally just found out we hired a dummy today....now, on top of keeping the company I work for running...I have to train this new guy in full yet he had a six page resume (Literally) and couldn't answer one question correctly in the interview - yeah, I don't know how he got hired either.
Old 02-05-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my CCNA a few months ago and have had a hell of a time getting a job. I was in the same boat as the OP... had an interest in IT but no real experience (other than using computers and setting up home networks for myself/family/friends for most of my adult life). Went to school for 2 years and focused on Cisco networking. But once I got my associate's, pretty much the only thing I've been offered are call center jobs. I could have gotten one of those without even going to school. Very frustrating.

I hadn't really considered the sales aspect, but I have a 10 year restaurant sales history, so I might look into it.
Old 02-05-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless you are rock star engineer WITH experience, it's hard to start there. But channel management, event planners, sales people, trainers, marketing jobs are all available and pay well! I know of people looks for employees at multiple companies and as long as you are not an idiot and can approach people, talk, look them in the eyes, you have a chance to get hired.
Old 02-05-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Which is why I recommend he learns a ton - there are too many lazy bastards in the field as it is now and they drag everyone down because they don't know shit - I literally just found out we hired a dummy today....now, on top of keeping the company I work for running...I have to train this new guy in full yet he had a six page resume (Literally) and couldn't answer one question correctly in the interview - yeah, I don't know how he got hired either.
Have him do ctrl-alt-del on a critical Linux server.
Old 02-05-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the things we hear over and over is stories of people getting their certs, with no experience, then not only expecting a job, but expecting to make a ton of money right off the bat. I'm sure most would be happy with the job, but many people quit when they aren't making $100K right away. Lots of people can take courses/watch videos and get certified. Sales will almost always pay better if you can sell even at an average level. And there are plenty of jobs in "marketing" like just being a representative for vendors, traveling to trade shows, explaining products, etc...A good way to get into the field without having to spend all the money on certifications. Not saying the certs will not help you, but you need more than just "knowledge"...you have to be able to sell yourself.
Old 02-05-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, $100k isn't difficult to achieve in the field in a maybe 5 year period, but you do need to get your foot in the door, make a good impression and prove your worth before you'll get there. You also must remember to always be learning new things.
Old 02-05-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I worked in the cyber security IT field for the government for a while. It's a great job if you have no life and like coming in a 3am to make sure that a hacking attempt didn't get through to anything and then having to sit on CERT calls and writing up incident documents. That was in the 90's though. Hopefully they don't still do that stuff today.
Old 02-05-16, 09:24 PM
Banned

I'm not looking to make 100K right out of school. I've been in the health field for quite some time and I'm done with it. I may not stick with security as I know there are numerous different jobs out there. Thanks for everyone's input
Old 02-08-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I worked in the cyber security IT field for the government for a while. It's a great job if you have no life and like coming in a 3am to make sure that a hacking attempt didn't get through to anything and then having to sit on CERT calls and writing up incident documents. That was in the 90's though. Hopefully they don't still do that stuff today.
I've had better luck that that so far. As a sysadmin, yeah, up at 3am troubleshooting a broken system, yuck. But in security it was mainly a 9-5 gig. As described when I started (my last security gig) it was an "all hands on deck" type situation maybe every year or two, and the occasional late night checkin if someone texted me. I probably worked extra hours at night/weekend a few dozen times over 3 years. Not too bad, and nothing compared to other IT work I've done.

I've heard tales from coworkers / other security folks at cross-company get-togethers, etc of those kind of places, though. I think the late hours / too many hours is a general IT problem though and not just security.