So ... this ZIKA virus

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

So ... this ZIKA virus

Old 02-01-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So ... this ZIKA virus

WHO declares global emergency over Zika virus spread

GENEVA (AP) The World Health Organization declared an international emergency on Monday over the explosive spread of the mosquito-borne Zika virus, which is linked to birth defects in the Americas, saying it is an "extraordinary event."

The U.N. health agency convened an emergency meeting of independent experts in Geneva to assess the outbreak after noting a suspicious link between Zika's arrival in Brazil last year and a surge in the number of babies born with abnormally small heads.

"After a review of the evidence, the committee advised that the clusters of microcephaly and other neurological complications constitute an extraordinary event and public health threat to other parts of the world," WHO Director-General Margaret Chan said.

WHO estimates there could be up to 4 million cases of Zika in the Americas in the next year, but no recommendations were made to restrict travel or trade.

"It is important to understand, there are several measures pregnant women can take," Chan said. "If you can delay travel and it does not affect your other family commitments, it is something they can consider.

"If they need to travel, they can get advice from their physician and take personal protective measures, like wearing long sleeves and shirts and pants and use mosquito repellent."

The last such public health emergency was declared for the devastating 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa, which killed more than 11,000 people. A similar declaration was made for polio the year before.
REST OF THE STORY
Spoiler:
Such emergency declarations are meant as an international SOS signal and usually trigger increased money and efforts to stop the outbreak, as well as prompting research into possible treatments and vaccines.

WHO officials say it could be six to nine months before science proves or disproves any connection between Zika and the spike in the number of babies born in Brazil with abnormally small heads.

WHO, which was widely criticized for its slow response to the 2014 Ebola crisis in West Africa, has been eager to show its responsiveness this time. Despite dire warnings that Ebola was out of control in mid-2014, WHO didn't declare an emergency until August, when nearly 1,000 people had died.

Its officials say that up to 4 million cases of Zika could turn up in the Americas within the next year. Zika was first identified in 1947 in a Ugandan forest but until last year, it wasn't believed to cause any serious effects; about 80 percent of infected people never experience symptoms. The virus has also been linked to Guillain-Barre syndrome, which causes muscle weakness and nerve problems.

"Of course, the world and the World Health Organization have all learned from the Ebola crisis," WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier said earlier Monday before the emergencywas declared. "That's why we are trying to bring in the best experts we can gather for this event, to try to establish what steps to take and what the way forward should be."

Lindmeier credited authorities in Brazil for being "extremely transparent" since the Zikaoutbreak turned up there in May. He said WHO first raised the possible connection between the virus and abnormally small heads back in October a prospect that has sown fear among many would-be mothers and pregnant women.

Brazilian officials shared lab samples with foreign experts and brought in scientists from abroad, he said.

"What we know so far is that the only microcephaly cases we see currently are from Brazil," Lindmeier said, noting that abnormally small heads in newborns can have many causes such as the effects of herbicides, alcohol use, or drugs and toxins. "This is exactly what is the concerning question: why do we see this in Brazil?"

Jimmy Whitworth, an infectious diseases expert at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said we might soon see other babies born with malformed heads as the virus becomes entrenched in other countries.

"It could be that we're getting the strongest signal in Brazil," he said before WHO's annoucement. "But having these cases occurring and pinning it to Zika is tough."

Whitworth said it was important for WHO to act quickly, despite definitive evidence thatZika is responsible for the surge in microcephaly cases.

"For situations like this, you have to essentially have a 'no regrets' policy," he said. "Maybe this will be a false alarm when more information is available months later, but it's serious enough on the evidence we have right now that we have to act."

Thoughts?
My Daughter just got back from Puerto Rico and didnt even know about this Zika thing. But she is the type that shrugs at stuff like this, so.
Old 02-01-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: So ... this ZIKA virus

I've followed it a bit. From what I've read it could fairly easily spread as far south as Chile and as far north as Canada.

Honestly, I don't think it is that big of a deal. A far bigger deal is our germs getting serious resistance to our drugs. We are literally in a race to get gene therapy working before our antibiotics stop working.
Old 02-01-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen pictures and it looks like their brains are missing right out of the tops of their heads...oh, I'm sorry I thought this was the "Bernie Sanders supporters" thread.
Old 02-01-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be yet another story of a virus that will demonstrate the idiocy and irrelevance of the world's health organizations, and will be the next buzzwerd by news agencies which viewers will tortuously have to endure.

Of course, I've heard the word Caucus a few million times.
Old 02-01-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dont know. I've seen images of babies and small children that were a result of the mother having it and it's kinda sad.
They resemble 'Pepper' from 'AHS'.
Old 02-01-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zika? Didn't they discontinue it in the 90s?
Old 02-01-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm heading to South America in a few weeks but I'm heading south to Buenos Aires. I think I'll be OK as I don't think it's spread down that far. Just in case I'll take a bunch of anti-mosquito spray and wipes and stuff which I do anyhow when I travel because I hate mosquitoes and no-see-ums anywhere - which is why I live in a place where they don't exist
Old 02-01-16, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah it's kinda funny. There is no 'cure' for it but it's as simple as using mosquito spray to avoid it in the first place.
Old 02-01-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This only affects newborn/yet to be born babies right? Well I'm not a baby and my kids are not babies either but my Cousin in pregnant
Old 02-01-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I'm heading to South America in a few weeks but I'm heading south to Buenos Aires. I think I'll be OK as I don't think it's spread down that far. Just in case I'll take a bunch of anti-mosquito spray and wipes and stuff which I do anyhow when I travel because I hate mosquitoes and no-see-ums anywhere - which is why I live in a place where they don't exist
You better wipe.

It's all about wipes these days.
Old 02-01-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JJE-187 View Post
This only affects newborn/yet to be born babies right? Well I'm not a baby and my kids are not babies either but my Cousin in pregnant
The worst effects are for babies born from mothers infected with the Zika virus, but it is an illness that causes fever, joint paint, and conjunctivitis.
Old 02-01-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's a mostly mild virus that clears from your system within a week. Some people do get complex effects of it, but it's rare.

The baby thing is the biggest issue, the increase of 150 babies born with the disorder to 3000+ over a year is pretty disturbing since there is no recovering from it. It can also be passed via sex apparently, so preggos shouldn't raw dogging with people that may have it.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-01-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not having any babies, so I'm good.
Old 02-01-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but if you bring the Zika virus back from overseas, a mosquito could bite you and spread it to other people including pregnant mothers. We don't want to put the next generation of Americans at risk, which is why they are trying to raise awareness.
Old 02-01-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, looks like the only this causes are birth defects so I don't give a fuck. Not planning on having any kids.
Old 02-01-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
...they are trying to raise awareness.
So, what color ribbon is this?
Old 02-01-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This could work as much needed population control. Prevent people from having kids... or at least reducing the amount they'll have. Because not many people want to give birth to fucked up kids.
Old 02-02-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
I dont know. I've seen images of babies and small children that were a result of the mother having it and it's kinda sad.
They resemble 'Pepper' from 'AHS'.
It is very sad. I haven't seen AHS, but it is the same affliction that Schlitzie had (known from Tod Browning's 'Freaks').
Old 02-02-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Zika spreads through sex
First new case of sexually transmitted Zika in U.S., CDC says

Zika has been sexually transmitted in Texas, CDC confirms.

CNN)Zika has been sexually transmitted in Texas, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday. It is the first known case of the virus being locally acquired in the continental United States in the current outbreak.

The case, announced by Dallas County health officials, involved a patient who had sex with someone who had recently returned from Venezuela infected with the mosquito-borne virus.

In a statement to CNN, the CDC said it confirmed the test results showing Zika present in the blood of a "nontraveler in the continental United States." They stressed that there was no risk to a developing fetus in this instance.

Based on that, the CDC says it will soon provide guidance on sexual transmission, with a "focus on the male sexual partners of women who are or who may be pregnant."
Well that sucks ...
Old 02-02-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
It is very sad. I haven't seen AHS, but it is the same affliction that Schlitzie had (known from Tod Browning's 'Freaks').
Yeah, very sad indeed. There were several such afflicted people in FREAKS. Back then, the circus freak shows marketed them as "pinheads".
Old 02-03-16, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's the email I got sent yesterday from the American Academy of Pediatrics

WHO declares public health emergency
Zika-microcephaly relationship 'strongly suspected'

by Melissa Jenco News Content Editor

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a public health emergency Monday as it continues to investigate whether clusters of microcephaly and other neurological disorders are linked to the Zika virus.

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan, M.D., M.Sc., said a causal relationship is "strongly suspected" and there is concern due to the patterns of the virus' spread and lack of vaccines and reliable diagnostic tests.

"All agree on the urgent need to coordinate international efforts to investigate and understand this relationship better," she said.

WHO leaders recently estimated that within a year, 3 million to 4 million people in the Americas could be infected with the virus, which primarily is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. For the 20% who display symptoms, the illness is mild and may include fever, rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis.

It was not the virus itself but the clusters of microcephaly in babies whose mothers were infected that led the WHO's International Health Regulations Emergency Committee to declare a "public health emergency of international concern," according to Dr. Chan.

The committee called for enhanced surveillance for neurological disorders and Zika virus, intensified research to determine whether there is a causative link, development of vaccines and diagnostic tests for Zika, implementation of mosquito control measures and education and counseling for pregnant women who may be at risk.

It stopped short of recommending travel or trade restrictions to more than two dozen countries and territories in Latin America and the Caribbean where Zika is spreading. However, Dr. Chan acknowledged pregnant women can reduce their risk of infection by delaying travel to affected countries, which is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC added four areas to its travel advisory Monday -- American Samoa, Costa Rica, Curacao, and Nicaragua. For pregnant women who do travel to affected areas, the CDC and WHO stressed the importance of avoiding mosquito bites.

Pediatricians treating infants whose mothers may have been infected with Zika virus can refer to an algorithm the CDC developed in collaboration with the Academy.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6503e3.htm
Old 02-03-16, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The WHO is scared to death this becomes a global epidemic with the upcoming Summer Olympics being held in Rio de Janeiro.
Old 02-03-16, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The WHO is scared to death this becomes a global epidemic with the upcoming Summer Olympics being held in Rio de Janeiro.
If it does goes become a global epidemic, the Special Olympics will be booming in the next decade or so.
Old 02-03-16, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work in medical research and have been in two protocols for the past few years working on vaccines for Dengue and Chikungunya. Guess this is the next vaccine that will be headed my way.
Old 02-03-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I work in medical research and have been in two protocols for the past few years working on vaccines for Dengue and Chikungunya. Guess this is the next vaccine that will be headed my way.
If only we knew of a common factor between dengue, chikungunya, and zika.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.