Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-01-16, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, seeing as our boy Taffer decided to leave DVDTalk to walk the Earth last year, I figured I would go ahead and start up the new thread for the new year!

Welcome to The Biggest Loser 2016 DVD Talk Edition!

I've always been a big guy, and for most of my life always stayed around 240-250lbs (I'm 5'10"). About five years ago I did manage to get myself down to 190lbs, but a new job at the time disrupted my entire eating (and drinking) regime and over the past five years I've ballooned up to 295lbs! Now at age 33, I know it's going to be tougher than ever to try and drop weight, but I am determined. I think just to help hold myself accountable, I will do weekly Friday check-ins and log how I did for the past week.

Here's to a hopeful and lighter 2016!

Last edited by Matto1020; 01-01-16 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Good job starting the thread.

Your story is similar to mine. Im 5'10" was alway fat at 230-240. Bad eating and no exercise. Then I had to go to New Orleans to help after hurricane Katrina. The stress and no place decent to eat and I ballooned up to 260. When I was finally ready to take action, I hit 273.

Today I'm at 183 (been as low as 173). More important than that random number, I exercise 6 days a week and 4-5 years ago took up running.

I didn't go vegan or anything like that. I just ate proper portions and then did smart swaps. But for me the exercise was the real difference maker in my health.

I recommend starting slow. Lose just a pound or two per week. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but I bet you would be thrilled to be 52lbs lighter at the end of the year. The key is consistency. Not perfection.

And start exercise on day one. Walking is great, easy and free. Then build from there.
Old 01-01-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

As mentioned in the previous thread, I started getting more serious about my diet and exercise in October 2014. Started off by concentrating only on the diet for a few months (without any exercise) and shed a decent amount of weight. Then I got back into a fitness routine which was MUCH easier to accomplish (had more energy and stamina) - which consisted of my exercise bike, walks and then in the summer of 2015 I bought an outdoor bike which really kicked everything into high gear. I never weighed myself throughout the whole process and still haven't (I'm guessing I dropped around 50 pounds). My progress was measured by the clothes I wore (and had to re-buy in smaller sizes) the belt notches I no longer used (and new ones made), and the comments from people I knew.

I still need to drop another pant size to reach my goal (maybe 10-15 pounds?). I basically hopped off the wagon the last couple weeks, and following the old cliche - I'm back on today starting the new year.
Old 01-01-16, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Good job starting the thread.

Your story is similar to mine. Im 5'10" was alway fat at 230-240. Bad eating and no exercise. Then I had to go to New Orleans to help after hurricane Katrina. The stress and no place decent to eat and I ballooned up to 260. When I was finally ready to take action, I hit 273.

Today I'm at 183 (been as low as 173). More important than that random number, I exercise 6 days a week and 4-5 years ago took up running.

I didn't go vegan or anything like that. I just ate proper portions and then did smart swaps. But for me the exercise was the real difference maker in my health.

I recommend starting slow. Lose just a pound or two per week. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but I bet you would be thrilled to be 52lbs lighter at the end of the year. The key is consistency. Not perfection.

And start exercise on day one. Walking is great, easy and free. Then build from there.
Thanks!

This past year was very telling for me in a lot of ways. Again, my eating has been out of control. For example, one of my favorite things to do is to eat fast food when I have TV to catch up on. The problem is, I would go to Burger King and this would be my order: two double cheeseburgers, a 20pc chicken nugget and a large fry.

I also came to the realization that even though I was drinking diet soda (Coke Zero), that was also a contributing factor to my weight gain. Earlier this fall I decided to try and slow down my alcohol consumption (was drinking every night) and replaced it with Coke Zero. Problem was, I'd drink a whole 2 liter of Coke Zero in one night! About a week ago I decided to drastically reduce my soda intake and have replaced it with unsweetened home made mint green tea. In fact, over the past week, I've only drank Coke Zero once and that was when I went to catch a screening of Star Wars.

Lastly, as a Xmas present to myself I went ahead and bought myself a Fitbit HR (monitors my heart rate constantly). It'll be interesting to see how telling this thing is when it comes to how active or lazy I am I recently moved into a new apartment building here in New York and we have a gym downstairs. I am going to try and get in there for an hour each morning before work. There really is no excuse when all I have to do is take an elevator down a few floors and boom, I'm there.
Old 01-01-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
As mentioned in the previous thread, I started getting more serious about my diet and exercise in October 2014. Started off by concentrating only on the diet for a few months (without any exercise) and shed a decent amount of weight. Then I got back into a fitness routine which was MUCH easier to accomplish (had more energy and stamina) - which consisted of my exercise bike, walks and then in the summer of 2015 I bought an outdoor bike which really kicked everything into high gear. I never weighed myself throughout the whole process and still haven't (I'm guessing I dropped around 50 pounds). My progress was measured by the clothes I wore (and had to re-buy in smaller sizes) the belt notches I no longer used (and new ones made), and the comments from people I knew.

I still need to drop another pant size to reach my goal (maybe 10-15 pounds?). I basically hopped off the wagon the last couple weeks, and following the old cliche - I'm back on today starting the new year.
I totally and 100% agree! People sometimes put to much emphasis (not to mention stress) of a number on a scale. Clothing size and especially for us men, waist size, is a much better indicator of progress.

While I do plan on getting down to 170, I'm very pleased that my waist size is smaller now than when I was at 173.

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
Thanks!

This past year was very telling for me in a lot of ways. Again, my eating has been out of control. For example, one of my favorite things to do is to eat fast food when I have TV to catch up on. The problem is, I would go to Burger King and this would be my order: two double cheeseburgers, a 20pc chicken nugget and a large fry.

I also came to the realization that even though I was drinking diet soda (Coke Zero), that was also a contributing factor to my weight gain. Earlier this fall I decided to try and slow down my alcohol consumption (was drinking every night) and replaced it with Coke Zero. Problem was, I'd drink a whole 2 liter of Coke Zero in one night! About a week ago I decided to drastically reduce my soda intake and have replaced it with unsweetened home made mint green tea. In fact, over the past week, I've only drank Coke Zero once and that was when I went to catch a screening of Star Wars.

Lastly, as a Xmas present to myself I went ahead and bought myself a Fitbit HR (monitors my heart rate constantly). It'll be interesting to see how telling this thing is when it comes to how active or lazy I am I recently moved into a new apartment building here in New York and we have a gym downstairs. I am going to try and get in there for an hour each morning before work. There really is no excuse when all I have to do is take an elevator down a few floors and boom, I'm there.
Excellent. Take it slow and build up! And remember, you might not lose weight every week. And you might break down once to have the cheeseburger. That is ok. Just get back to it. Again, consistency, not perfection (hell I broke down the other day and had Taco Bell. Meh, I had also run 5 miles that day to the impact was minimal. But of course don't want to make that a habit).
Old 01-01-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for starting the new thread.

I too am someone who is in decent shape but I just can't seem to get down and stay down. Still hovering in the high 180's - low 190's. Wanted to be around 170 - 175. Exercise like a fiend but for me, tiny deviations in diet make huge setbacks in weight loss. Three different Jenny Craig consultants have said I retain calories more than anyone they've seen. The good news is, I'm not obese and I'm one of the most fit 56 year olds you'll ever want to meet. I just have 15 - 20 extra pounds that are very uncomfortable. With arthritis in my hip, any extra weight is a problem.

I did start using the elliptical last week. The motion is much harder than running so getting used to it is tougher. But it is easier on the hips. I've been doing 5 - 10 minutes as a warm up to weights or Insanity. Eventually I hope to be able to do 30 straight minutes.

Here's to 2016. Cheers. Open up a nice cold water, pour in some no calorie fruit flavor and prepare a nice salad for dinner, its going to be a wild ride.
Old 01-01-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice graphic.

Exercise like a fiend but for me, tiny deviations in diet make huge setbacks in weight loss. Three different Jenny Craig consultants have said I retain calories more than anyone they've seen.
Add me to that list.

At first I thought it was a thyroid issue, but tests came back normal. Two different tests. Two different doctors.

It was pretty much to do with dramatically changing my lifestyle, jogging long distances (20-28 miles at one time on a weekend--cool down on the weekdays with shorter walks). I could eat anything and I still lost weight. People can search my posts dating back to 2009 I think and read what I was doing.

Then, I just got bored doing it. So, when I started eating, my body saved the calories like it was getting ready for another 25+ miler....only I wasn't doing it anymore. It didn't matter that I ate much less...it still saved the calories. Now, at the same time, I would have "binge" periods, where I would eat more than necessary because my body was saying, "Hey, eat more! We're running!"

Today, I'm eating less and watching more closely what I do. But. Adding a regular routine of jogging 2 miles and a half mile warm-up walk, 5-6 times a week now, is helping.

Eventually, I want to have my own workout mini-center, with something like the NordicTrack FreeStride. Something where I can just get on it, work my body, whenever I want.

Gym memberships are really nice, don't get me wrong. But I've noticed more gym outfits adding more members than they can reasonably handle. I'm getting tired of having to work MY SCHEDULE around THEIR apathetic membership signups to just get more money, without respecting their current members.

Going to a gym at 9pm can be good for some people, but if you work a normal shift, it's too much. I can't go to sleep right after a workout and I stay up way later than what I would normally do if I didn't work out that night. And then you try to get workout in right after work, and everyone and their dog is working out. So, when I looked at my membership...I wasn't getting shit for it. The only time that I could work in something was when I had my usual weekends off. That's not good. That's only two days a week.

So, having my own workout area, where I can go whenever I want on my schedule, is going to be more beneficial. And for a $30/month membership, the equipment would pay for itself in about 6 years, depending on what a person gets. Having a 1) cardio machine, 2) freeweight system, and a 3) variable chest/leg machine, I think a person is set for life. A few things at a gym you just can't replace, but those 3 machines can cover 80% of it and get really good results, I think.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-01-16 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in for this year! Currently at about 195, goal of hitting 170 in May. Poor habits over the last four yrs have added the weight. A big issue for me is cutting way back on drinking, it's become a daily habit and for me it just needs to be once or twice a week on social occasions.

I will be doing one of those 40 story climbs for Lung Cancer in 3 weeks, so if i can get under 190 that'd be a good start.

I'm also looking forward to quality of life improvement extending to other areas that have been lacking the last few years. Here's to New Year!!
Old 01-01-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

213 is my starting weight this year. Final goal is 180ish, that'll put me in the high end of a healthy BMI. I did it 3 years ago but it's slowly crept back up again. I got a Fitbit Charge HR for Christmas, about ready to bust it out and start the New Year.

Last edited by covenant; 01-01-16 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
213 is my starting weight this year. Final goal is 185. I did it 3 years ago but it's slowly crept back up again. I got a Fitbit Charge HR for Christmas, about ready to bust it out and start the New Year.
I just purchased a Fitbit Charge HR as well! Love how it tracks my steps, calories, heck even my sleep patterns!
Old 01-01-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

About two years ago I got down to 178 pounds and I am 6'2". I felt amazing but struggled with the attention, and people would honestly tell I wasn't supposed to be at that weight. I know I am making excuses, but working nights has really set me back, and have eaten horrible because of it. I am now around 205 pounds. I still have the workout and meal plan that got my weight down, and I hope if I can just gradually begin that type of exercise and eating again its a good way to start. I hope to find an online training plan to do a bulk and cut once I get a better job.
Old 01-01-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Also the gym usually sucks the first two months of the year, but towards the end of February things will go back to normal at most places.
Old 01-01-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I'm in for this year! Currently at about 195, goal of hitting 170 in May. Poor habits over the last four yrs have added the weight. A big issue for me is cutting way back on drinking, it's become a daily habit and for me it just needs to be once or twice a week on social occasions.

I will be doing one of those 40 story climbs for Lung Cancer in 3 weeks, so if i can get under 190 that'd be a good start.

I'm also looking forward to quality of life improvement extending to other areas that have been lacking the last few years. Here's to New Year!!
Artman, you and I are in the same boat. I was 193 this morning but that was due to last nights NYE dinner and party after. Realistically Monday morning I'll be 190 - 191, looking for 170 by spring. Let's really push my friend.
Old 01-01-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Like I mentioned before, I gained about 12 pounds the last few months. I started eating a lot of junk food after I stopped going to gym - I don't know why. I'm really disappointed in myself. Then I find out yesterday that my favorite gym closed down so I'll have to go another gym that's more expensive. I'm not overweight or anything, but it's really hard to lose weight.

Also, is it normal to have a somewhat toned chest and upper shoulders, but your stomach is flabby? It seems like no matter how much cardio I do, I can't lose any fat in my stomach or lower back.

Here's hoping everyone achieves their goals - and soon!
Old 01-01-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by the General View Post
Like I mentioned before, I gained about 12 pounds the last few months. I started eating a lot of junk food after I stopped going to gym - I don't know why. I'm really disappointed in myself. Then I find out yesterday that my favorite gym closed down so I'll have to go another gym that's more expensive. I'm not overweight or anything, but it's really hard to lose weight.

Also, is it normal to have a somewhat toned chest and upper shoulders, but your stomach is flabby? It seems like no matter how much cardio I do, I can't lose any fat in my stomach or lower back.

Here's hoping everyone achieves their goals - and soon!
Well you can't spot lose. The simple answer is you need will need to lose weight to lose the gut..

Yes you can be in shape and still have a large gut. Go to any weekend 5k or 10k (or really any distance) and you will see people of all shapes and sizes.

IMO you have to ask yourself what exactly is your goal? Is it to be healthy OR to be smaller (or both)?

If you exercise and physically in good shape (HR, BP, Cholestoral, etc) are good, do you need to lose the weight? You can be healthy at a wide range of weights. Just as you can be unhealthy at a wide range of weights.

No there is nothing wrong with wanting to be smaller. I do. But I'm also 95% sure losing the 13 lbs I want to lose will have zero effect on my health as I'm in good health now.
Old 01-01-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 5' 8''. 41 years old.

Growing up I was always thin. Up until my 20s I could eat anything without issue. Then I started to get fat. I was usually around 180 lbs. When I would feel fat I was above 190. But I don't think I ever crossed the 200 lbs limit.

I never checked my weight that carefully of course.

11 years ago I started running and lose a lot of weight. I was under 165 lbs at one point. Under 165 is suppose to be a normal BMI for me. Anyways, I of course got fat again. Even if I was still running.

Two and half years ago I decided to focus again, I was around 185 lbs. Sometimes I would above 190, and when I was taking "care" I would reach 180 lbs.

In the first year I was able to stay in my 170s. I was even under 170 lbs at times.

In the second year I was able to stay in my 160s. But I just checked my weight history and in 12/31/14 my weight was 171 lbs. But that was after 5 days at Las Vegas. That was fun

2015 was a good year. I weighed myself yesterday (12/31/15) and my weight was 154.9 lbs. Basically I have been able to stay in my 150s the last 6 months or so.

My advice? Don't follow anyones advice Some things work for some people. Genetics are important. But you can be healthy. If you want to lose weight, just consume less calories. If you want to be healthier, eat better and do some exercise.

- It takes a lot of time.
- It takes a lot of work.
- There are setbacks.
- Don't just look at the number in the scale. Your clothes, how they feel, is important too.
- Get a smart scale. It helps you a lot over time.
- Be happy. If you think being thinner will make you happy go for it. But be prepared to discover that maybe being a little overweight is better for your happiness.
Old 01-01-16, 06:53 PM

IMO you have to ask yourself what exactly is your goal? Is it to be healthy OR to be smaller (or both)?
What do you mean by "smaller"?
Old 01-01-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What do you mean by "smaller"?
Less weight. Less pounds on a scale.
Old 01-01-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I'm 5' 8''. 41 years old.

Growing up I was always thin. Up until my 20s I could eat anything without issue. Then I started to get fat. I was usually around 180 lbs. When I would feel fat I was above 190. But I don't think I ever crossed the 200 lbs limit.

I never checked my weight that carefully of course.

11 years ago I started running and lose a lot of weight. I was under 165 lbs at one point. Under 165 is suppose to be a normal BMI for me. Anyways, I of course got fat again. Even if I was still running.

Two and half years ago I decided to focus again, I was around 185 lbs. Sometimes I would above 190, and when I was taking "care" I would reach 180 lbs.

In the first year I was able to stay in my 170s. I was even under 170 lbs at times.

In the second year I was able to stay in my 160s. But I just checked my weight history and in 12/31/14 my weight was 171 lbs. But that was after 5 days at Las Vegas. That was fun

2015 was a good year. I weighed myself yesterday (12/31/15) and my weight was 154.9 lbs. Basically I have been able to stay in my 150s the last 6 months or so.

My advice? Don't follow anyones advice Some things work for some people. Genetics are important. But you can be healthy. If you want to lose weight, just consume less calories. If you want to be healthier, eat better and do some exercise.

- It takes a lot of time.
- It takes a lot of work.
- There are setbacks.
- Don't just look at the number in the scale. Your clothes, how they feel, is important too.
- Get a smart scale. It helps you a lot over time.
- Be happy. If you think being thinner will make you happy go for it. But be prepared to discover that maybe being a little overweight is better for your happiness.
Good post. Weight loss (or gain) is about calories in/out. Health is about the makeup of those calories and exercise.

But how you achieve that, can be very individual.
Old 01-02-16, 11:11 AM

Sit-ups are ineffective, apparently.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-you-...ups-1450722637

Also, I want to say something unrelated. If you've started running and haven't seen any physical changes, you shouldn't be disheartened. Your brain, lungs and heart will thank you for it. Like Raul said, it takes a lot of work and time. Don't expect to lose 5 pounds after running for an hour or so.
Old 01-02-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I want to say something unrelated. If you've started running and haven't seen any physical changes, you shouldn't be disheartened. Your brain, lungs and heart will thank you for it. Like Raul said, it takes a lot of work and time. Don't expect to lose 5 pounds after running for an hour or so.
I much prefer low plank to sit-ups. Hold it for 60 seconds and you get a terrific burn. I had hernia surgery so sit-ups became more difficult and the exercise where you lay flat but hold your feet in the air were painful in that area.

Also, right after a long run you will be a few lbs. lighter. Don't get all excited because its just water weight. As soon as you have some water it'll go right back on.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Then, I just got bored doing it. So, when I started eating, my body saved the calories like it was getting ready for another 25+ miler....only I wasn't doing it anymore. It didn't matter that I ate much less...it still saved the calories. Now, at the same time, I would have "binge" periods, where I would eat more than necessary because my body was saying, "Hey, eat more! We're running!"
I remember when I started Insanity I gained 5 lbs. in two weeks. I was eating the same diet, exercising more and I gained weight. My body started storing calories for the extra work. After I did it for a couple months it settled back down and eventually came off but I still didn't see a huge drop from that.
Old 01-03-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I also prefer planks for ab specific. But it's also why I prefer free weights over machines. Free weights force you to balance and lock your core. Which will strengthen it.

Agree. Change takes time. And not always in the form of weight loss. It is why the gyms are about to be packed and then 6 weeks later back to normal. Some join a gym and "work their ass" off for 6 weeks, but don't lose weight (or even still gain). So they stop.

1. They don't realize that working out hard for 30 min (or even an hour) cannot make up for overeating. You take in more calories than you burn and you will gain weight. Period.

2. They don't realize even without weight lose (and even with gain) they are making positive steps in their health.
Old 01-03-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. They don't realize that working out hard for 30 min (or even an hour) cannot make up for overeating. You take in more calories than you burn and you will gain weight. Period.
You probably burn about 400 calories in a good 30 - 60 minute workout depending on intensity. Eat a nice piece of cheesecake for dessert and that's about 450
Old 01-03-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
You probably burn about 400 calories in a good 30 - 60 minute workout depending on intensity. Eat a nice piece of cheesecake for dessert and that's about 450
Exactly. Then you get those that since they had a "good workout" go reward themselves with a latte and pastry. Which is likely more calories than they burned.

Now again, exercise is not really about burning calories. Sure it helps. But exercise is about better health. If you exercise you will improve your health regardless of weight loss.
Old 01-03-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Exactly.
Double exactly. So many calories. Buying any "combo" at a restaurants delivers more food than you're supposed to eat in a day. Even adding some nuts or jerky to my shake meals slows weight loss.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.