Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 06-02-16, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Last time I posted pictures of my grossly oversized and enflamed appendage I was banned. No Penis pictures allowed I guess

That is far worse than any I have ever done. Hope it feels better soon. Plenty of ice and anti-inflammatory.

186.6 this morning so after two strict Jenny Craig days down 3.9.
Old 06-02-16, 07:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
This book is a must read for anyone. I finished a couple of chapters and it encouraged me to get my fat surplus on the treadmill. It came out in December of 2009, though, so I don't know how much about cancer, and the prevention and treatment of it, has changed.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had an uncle (who was like my second dad) pass away from cancer at the age of 49, and my real dad just underwent surgery a week ago to remove part of his esophagus that contained cancer (he will be in recovery mode for the next few months).

I'm half way through the book now, and it's very educational. Just exploring the idea that cancer has boomed since the 1940s (when processed food has become the norm in today's society) and hopefully one day these corporations will one day be regarded as being just as dangerous as cigarette companies.

Definitely a must read.
Old 06-10-16, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was down to 184 this week but after helping with the fireman's parade last night we all went back to the PD and had some sandwiches and snacks. It was no surprise I was a up a bit today.

The real bad news is my hip. The cortisone shot wore off after about a month and the pain is worse again afterwards. I am pretty close to needing a cane. I've begun to use my mom's handicapped tag when parking because I am limping so bad. I've now noticed my knee is hurting also because of the awkward way I am dropping my weight when I walk. Just a couple years ago I was running 12 miles plus on a Sunday and 25 miles or more a week. Now I can't walk 3 steps without limping.

If you start feeling joint pain from running, have it checked out immediately. Unfortunately for me, mine was masked by back problems. It wasn't until we solved that that we found out about the arthritis. I won't say the running caused the arthritis but it certainly accelerated a genetic issue with my hip. So I would have gotten it eventually anyway but the running brought it on much sooner.
Old 06-10-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Ugh. Week and a half of pure pain, where I can barely walk much less exercise. I finally stopped limping, and while the ankle (and the laceration) still hurt, they hurt a lot less. I'm hoping at this rate, I'll be able to star easing back into running within a month, or so. Fingers crossed.

In the 10 days since my spill, I've gained almost 5 pounds. I haven't been eating that much more, in fact, less, but I have been very sedentary, out of necessity. Injuries sucks!
Old 06-10-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like your "biome" (aka, gut-bacteria) may play a significant role in your weight.
Old 06-10-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Good article. I'd say the #1 reason for increase in fat in people is the processed foods which make it way more easier for people's stomachs to digest. The stomach needs to work more, and I bet the amount of work a typical stomach does...is getting easier every year as new types of processing for foods are introduced.
Old 06-15-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been taking this course on edx.org called "Learning How To Learn." Both instructors have highlighted the important of physical exercise.

As we learn more about the brain we can become better learners, and here [is one tip] to learn better.

Tip number one, the best gift that you can give your brain is Physical Exercise. We once thought that all of the neurons in your brain were already present at birth, but we now know that in a few places, new neurons are born every day. One of these places is in your Hippocampus, a brain area that is very important for learning new things that we already discussed earlier in the course.

In this experiment, a rat is shown, learning how to distinguish a picture of a flower from a picture of an airplane. In the background is a photo of neurons in the hippocampus, with the old neurons shown in blue and newly generated neurons in red. As the rat learns the task, these new neurons are recruited to help perform better pattern separation between the two pictures. These new neurons help you learn new things but they will die if you don't use them. New experiences will rescue them. Exercise, interestingly, also helps new neurons survive. Exercise is by far, more effective than any drug on the market today to help you learn better. It benefits all of your vital organisms, not just your brain.

It is unfortunate that schools are dropping gym and recess to make room for more instruction. Gym and recess are by far the most important parts of the curriculum.
By the way, you can audit the course for free or pay for a $49 certificate. I highly suggest everyone take this course, whether or not you're physically active.
Old 06-15-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey, still here!

Wasn't able to get my act together the first half of the year, I maybe lost 5lbs. Started back at the gym today, my dad and I have planned to go wkdays at 5:30am, we may or may not cross paths, but that definitely helps with motivation. Looking to drop 20lbs in 13 wks, so mid-September.
Old 06-15-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Once again proving I can do well in a routine but lousy when I get taken out of it. Will try to have a couple really good weeks but now starts picnic and macaroni salad season.
Lol, those Costco dogs are a killer...I've had a few at work functions already. I try to skip all the chips, dip, salads... save up for the burgers and brats - those alone will put ya over anyway.
Old 06-16-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Working outside Chicago. The Rock n Roll half is in Chicago next month. Very likely will have to do.

How could I not run in Chicago?

I haven't been technically training, and a few less miles while on vacation, but I ran at race pace 8.50 miles on Sunday and felt good. And even when not following a training plan I run 4 days a week including typically 8-9 miles on Sunday's.

Ran 4 on Tuesday, 5 last night (in 90 degree humid weather) and will do 4 tonight. If I can get a nice easy 10 this weekend, I'll be fine. Just will have to decide how fast (and fast is relative for me) I want to run the race. Guessing I'd just go out with the 2:30 pace group and see how I feel.
Old 06-17-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

My mother cooked for the first time shiitake mushrooms. Did she cook it wrong or does it really taste like nothing? She mixed it with scrambled eggs and added a little bit of salt to it.
Old 06-17-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

Shiitake Mushrooms taste like mushrooms to me, But it's like anything else -- you'll have good ones and bad ones.
Old 06-17-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ankle still hurts/swollen, but just a tiny bit better every day.

This sucks - not only can I not run, I can't even stand or walk for too long. Blurgh!

Maybe 3 more weeks - at most, I hope!
Old 06-29-16, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Been exactly 4 weeks since my injury. I'm going crazy not being able to exercise! Stopped limping last week. Probably 2 more weeks 'till I can run without much worry. Maybe 4 weeks total 'till it's 100%. Still feels so far away. The heat's been so great, and I've been depressed that I can't run in it.
Old 06-29-16, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ahhh....thats awful. Sounds like getting better. Hope you are back out there soon.
Old 07-01-16, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question for MFP users. I use it daily to help count my calories. For my exercise when I run I use my Apple Watch which syncs my burned calories to MFP. I work at a hospital and am on my feet a lot but I don't have MFP measure my steps. Is that something I should do as well? Sometime when I'm done for the night I have 100-200 calories left but I haven't included all the walking I do.
Old 07-01-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me personally the exercise made no difference in weight loss. I know you can enter the exercise manually if that will help.
Old 07-01-16, 09:52 PM
Banned

Yea I just wasn't sure. It shows me at over 7K steps and 343 calories burned. Maybe it's accurate who knows
Old 07-02-16, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I do the same thing only use MyNetDiary.

I enter food into that and it automatically pulls data from my Nike running app and Apple exercise app.

Except, I don't have it count "steps". I'm not really a believer in steps. I only have it count true, formal exercise (running, walking at speed on a treadmill, weight lifting, etc).

It's not that I think "steps" has zero impact, I just look at those as a bonus.

I have my Apple Watch set with the goal of 700 active calories per day. Right now, on average, I'm about 650. Any walking or steps is counted in that.

My problem with steps is that I see a lot of people use them as a substitute for exercise. Yes getting 10,000 steps is obviously better than getting zero steps. But a) casual steps at a work break is not exercise and b) there is nothing magical about 10,000. It is a random number that is meaningless (by and large).

I like getting in "steps" with people that do it at work. But then I still go for a run that day or hit the gym.
Old 07-02-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. Unless you were doing zero and suddenly jumped to 10,000, you won't see much of a difference. Where it absolutely helps is giving a solid attainable goal with a tangible route. That will help. But if anyone thinks steps are an answer to weight issues, or that getting to 10,000 means you can have that big piece of birthday cake in the break room they are mistaken. Your body is already acclimated to doing most of those steps so the few extra won't hurt but won't really make a significant impact.
Old 07-02-16, 09:04 AM
Banned

Yea i don't count steps was only curious. I eat well and run about 15 miles a week and that's where my weight loss comes from plus I actually enjoy running. Running around work is just a bonus for me
Old 07-04-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an Apple Watch with MFP when I'm tracking, and I do have it sync my steps because that way it accounts for extra active calories burnt outside of the Workout App. I don't care about steps per se but I do care very much about calories in/calories out (CICO), and my results match up very well with my data. I find it very helpful when I want to burn off a few pounds.
Old 07-05-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
I use an Apple Watch with MFP when I'm tracking, and I do have it sync my steps because that way it accounts for extra active calories burnt outside of the Workout App. I don't care about steps per se but I do care very much about calories in/calories out (CICO), and my results match up very well with my data. I find it very helpful when I want to burn off a few pounds.
That is a good point. There is a sort of opinion out there that often you can do more for your health outside of your workout than the 30-60 min formal workout. The standing regularly, going for a walk, taking the stairs, etc. it's no necessarily "steps" but any movement.
Old 07-05-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm feeling strong for my half marathon in 12 days or so. Clearly stronger (running) then ever. I feel so good I'm a bit nervous. I've run more often and faster (much faster for me) than I ever have.

I'm nervous as I'm not sure how I'll pace. I think I'll run with a pace group for a bit, but then, hopefully feel good enough to leave them 3-4 miles in.

Looking forward to running Chicago, catching a Cubs gave and some fun!
Old 07-05-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'm feeling strong for my half marathon in 12 days or so. Clearly stronger (running) then ever. I feel so good I'm a bit nervous. I've run more often and faster (much faster for me) than I ever have.

I'm nervous as I'm not sure how I'll pace. I think I'll run with a pace group for a bit, but then, hopefully feel good enough to leave them 3-4 miles in.

Looking forward to running Chicago, catching a Cubs gave and some fun!
There are a lot of people who run in Chicago. Unfortunately it's from people trying to shoot them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.