Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 05-14-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser 2016 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
FYI, Amazon now has the Garmin fenix 2 Performance Bundle (Includes Heart Rate Monitor) for $230 or so. It dropped about $120 and I have this on a price watch.
Good deal
Old 05-20-16, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

What do people here choose between brown or white rice? For the past year or so, I've substituted white with brown rice and I haven't noticed any damaging effects on my health. Is brown rice truly the healthier of the two? My concern is the fact that brown rice has a much higher amount of arsenic than the white and supposedly it has something that prevents your body from absorbing the other nutrients.
Old 05-20-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
What do people here choose between brown or white rice? For the past year or so, I've substituted white with brown rice and I haven't noticed any damaging effects on my health. Is brown rice truly the healthier of the two? My concern is the fact that brown rice has a much higher amount of arsenic than the white and supposedly it has something that prevents your body from absorbing the other nutrients.
I'm not much of a rice eater. But my understanding is white is easier on the stomach and more quickly digested.

Brown has more nutrients but longer to digest.

Like most things I don't think there is a catch all easy answer for all the time. Unless you eat a ton of it, I'd likely go with the one you like and just watch serving sizes (assuming your watching your weight).
Old 05-20-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are concerned about arsenic in rice then stick to basmati rice from India, Pakistan or California. Those areas generally produce white rice with half the average amount of other areas. Brown basmati rice from those areas have about 30% less than other brown rice, which generally has 80% more arsenic than it's white counterpart.

Also unless you eat rice daily I wouldn't be overly concerned. The FDA's concern is mostly around young children, toddlers and infants who may consume significant amount of rice products in the form of baby food, cereals and rice milk and ethnic groups where rice comprise a significant portion of daily calories. One study that found a link between high arsenic rice intake and cellular damage used a population that ate 2.5-3 cups of rice daily.

I haven't read anything about brown rice and nutrition absorption. White rice is 90% starch and has little nutritional value aside from calories, so it's hard to imagine brown rice being actually worse. Brown rice has more fiber, which slows digestion. This doesn't really impact nutrition absorption overall, it just makes it take longer. Usually it is regarded as a good thing because white rice, particularly the sticky, glutinous types, can break down very quickly leading to blood sugar spikes and hunger.
Old 05-20-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't the Japs eat rice like daily. Maybe the healthiest Race of them all.
Old 05-20-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 300 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Don't the Japs eat rice like daily.
Seriously?
Old 05-20-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

It's ok. Breathe.
Old 05-20-16, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Don't the Japanese eat rice like daily. Maybe the healthiest Race of them all.
Old 05-20-16, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Seriously?
Fixed.
Old 05-21-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
It's ok. Breathe.

So you're more offended at my response to an insensitive comment than the offending comment itself? I bet if you were around in the early sixties you'd tell black people to just get over segregation and Jim Crow laws... don't ever change bro!
Old 05-22-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been working in the St Louis area where the temps have been cool (lowere 70's during the day). And have been running outside for all my runs.

Got a late start today for long run run and it was 88! And a bit humid. By far the longest hot run I've done this year and kicked by but. I did 8.40 and felt like a half. I managed to eat a chicken salad and like 5 waters (I ran w/a bottle of Gatorade) after and then slept for like 2 hours.

Need to find a better trail. The long run trail I found is along the metro and totally out in the open. No shade.

But a good running month for me overall and on pace for another 1,000 mile running year.
Old 05-23-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been getting killed on mine. Vacation end of April gained 5.5. Lost a couple but then went right into business trips. Afraid to weigh myself but I would guess I'm up at least 10 total. The trip I took in April was easy cause I drove and could bring all my own food. These last couple plus another this week, I am flying and going with my boss-Mr French Fry.

My portions are down from before the Jenny Craig but no where near the cellphone sized dinners I should be eating. Plus I'm not getting my snacks so I'm hungrier come meal time.

By the time I get to June I'll be starting all over again.

The cortisone is wearing off and my hip is killing me. In order to climb stairs I have to pull myself up using the railing. Even the elliptical hurts too much now. My gate is probably half what it used to be because it hurts to walk. I take 1000mg of acetaminophen and that helps quite a bit.
Old 05-23-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
My portions are down from before the Jenny Craig but no where near the cellphone sized dinners I should be eating. Plus I'm not getting my snacks so I'm hungrier come meal time.
I had the same problem with meal delivery when I tried 5 years ago. I would recommend protein shakes. I went from eating regularly, to replacing 90% of my food with 3-4 daily shakes. I use "Garden of Life Raw Meal" and "Naked Whey". And then I add powdered cocoa sometimes. I usually eat a burrito or something, and that's it. And I started drinking coffee again (which I don't think was a good idea). Lost 40-or-so pounds in the past six months (though I know 20-or-so of that was 'water weight'). Plus it's barely noticeable since I'm 350 still.
Old 05-23-16, 09:33 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

just heard of the existence of The Great Wall of China Marathon.
that sounds both fantastically awesome and utterly miserable at the same time

who's up for it?
Old 05-23-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

This book is a must read for anyone. I finished a couple of chapters and it encouraged me to get my fat surplus on the treadmill. It came out in December of 2009, though, so I don't know how much about cancer, and the prevention and treatment of it, has changed.

Old 05-23-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
just heard of the existence of The Great Wall of China Marathon.
that sounds both fantastically awesome and utterly miserable at the same time

who's up for it?
Ummm no! Lol

It's like everyone wanting to do those mud runs and obstacle runs...aghh...I find running hard enough, I don't need to make it harder...lol
Old 05-23-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
This book is a must read for anyone. I finished a couple of chapters and it encouraged me to get my fat surplus on the treadmill. It came out in December of 2009, though, so I don't know how much about cancer, and the prevention and treatment of it, has changed.
]
I don't know about that book in particular, but I've come out and said that exercise is the "magic pill" everyone is looking for. That exercise can improve "everything". In my case it has even improved my eye sight as documented by me needing less strong contacts as I've gotten older. (My eye dr credits the lower blood pressure I now have).

I'm also very, very close to tipping over the edge and saying "you can't be healthy with no exercise". Now, we would have to define "healthy" and "exercise" but I'm just a huge, huge fan of exercise being the "miracle" cure. And the CDC has already helped us with those definitions,

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
Old 05-24-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if I buy this...

1 Minute of All-Out Exercise May Have Benefits of 45 Minutes of Moderate Exertion

Just that, you need to end a good workout by sweating and breathing hard - one minute is not enough time to do that, regardless of how "all out" it might be.
Old 05-24-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

It depends on your definitions. I can see 1 minute of sprinting with a weight jacket for somebody that isn't in great shape being more beneficial than 45 minutes of slow walking. At least in some ways.

But like everything, 1 minute gets easier the more you do it. I used to hop on an elliptical and get my heart rate up to 160 fairly easily, now i have to jack the numbers way up and go all out for 15 minutes to get it above 145. Which sucks, I liked burning mad calories without exerting much effort.

But I do agree with all the talk about exercise being the real key -- I had a doctors appointment last November and my numbers were really awful, high liver enzymes, low HDL, high LDL, high Triglycerides, high blood pressure, etc; My diet didn't change unfortunately due to the holiday seasons (My family likes to eat, as do I), but I exercised like a son of a bitch for a couple months. HDL went up, LDL went down, Triglycerides dipped down, blood pressure was more in line and my liver enzymes returned to normal ranges.

I think a mix of resistance and cardio is pretty important. something something breaking down of muscle pulls sugar out of your blood stream or something.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-24-16 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if I buy this...

1 Minute of All-Out Exercise May Have Benefits of 45 Minutes of Moderate Exertion

Just that, you need to end a good workout by sweating and breathing hard - one minute is not enough time to do that, regardless of how "all out" it might be.
Agree with you. But the "tease" title is very misleading. The group that did 1 min of all out exercise actually exercised for a total of 10 min. They had warm up, cool down and two min moderate recovery periods between their 3, 20 sec "all-outs". So they actually worked out 10 min, it was just 1 min of the all out.
Old 05-31-16, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit. 190.5 this morning. That's another 5 lbs. since vacation and 10.7 from my lowest. Once again proving I can do well in a routine but lousy when I get taken out of it. Will try to have a couple really good weeks but now starts picnic and macaroni salad season.
Old 05-31-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have a 10 day vacation to take daughter on her graduation trip.

But found out already heading to just outside Chicago on 6/10. The Rock and Roll half runs in Chicago in mid- July. I'll probably do it.

Dispite a terrible 7 mile run on Sunday, my running has been stronger than ever. I should be in good shape to jump mid point into training program.
Old 05-31-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh man. 3 miles into my 5 mile run just now, I hit a loose patch of dirt in a hole I couldn't see, twisting the fuck out of my right ankle, falling forward, skidding for a while in the dirt (lots of tiny rocks), tearing the flesh off of my left shin. Had to limp two miles to my car with my throbbing, swollen ankle, and blood dripping down my leg, saturating my left sock red.

Good times! Thousands of miles of running, and I've never fallen before. Not to mention, I fucked myself up way more than the few times I've fallen off a mountain bike, which were no picnics either.

Getting old!

Two hours later, and the ankle, while still swollen and painful, does hurt a little bit less. So, if it doesn't get worse overnight, hopefully I won't be out of commission for too long.
Old 06-01-16, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man. 3 miles into my 5 mile run just now, I hit a loose patch of dirt in a hole I couldn't see, twisting the fuck out of my right ankle, falling forward, skidding for a while in the dirt (lots of tiny rocks), tearing the flesh off of my left shin. Had to limp two miles to my car with my throbbing, swollen ankle, and blood dripping down my leg, saturating my left sock red.

Good times! Thousands of miles of running, and I've never fallen before. Not to mention, I fucked myself up way more than the few times I've fallen off a mountain bike, which were no picnics either.

Getting old!

Two hours later, and the ankle, while still swollen and painful, does hurt a little bit less. So, if it doesn't get worse overnight, hopefully I won't be out of commission for too long.
Since so much of my running was in the early morning darkness I rolled my ankle a few times too. Nothing like what you just did. Just enough to ruin my run for a couple days. Apparently I'm a lot more coordinated than you since I never went down. J/K my friend, luck of the draw.

188.2 this morning after a very strict day on the plan. I'm still 15 lbs. lighter than my heaviest and I can't believe how fat I feel.

I started using my mom's handicapped tag to park close because walking has gotten so painful. I gave up on Insanity and even doing the elliptical at a slow pace is uncomfortable. I'll get another shot in July so August will feel good at least. I hope to have the replacement in December so I really want to be at least 170 before I sit around and recuperate.
Old 06-02-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's my ankle 24 hours later. It looks much worse than it feels, but it still hurts a lot. I think I'll be out of commission for at least two weeks.
Still, just a little more of a twist and it probably would've snapped off. Though the skin tear on my other leg hurts a lot more.

And for reference, I actually have narrow-ish ankles - it's just that swollen (ankle's swollen on the other side too, but with less bruising).

[size and kinda gross]
Spoiler:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.