DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Are you happy with your life? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/629861-you-happy-your-life.html)

Why So Blu? 12-10-15 12:40 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?

Originally Posted by nando820 (Post 12666843)
How you did that??

Minimalist lifestyle.

PileOfFudge 12-10-15 02:14 AM

Lots of sad stories here as well as some very profound, thoughtful advice. I'm satisfied with life, but never happy. I have two arms and two legs and decent health. Things could be worse.

Ash Ketchum 12-10-15 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12667274)
Probably the dumbest life advice ever given in Otter. Ever. "Pee in her butt" is fucking Viktor Frankl compared to this bullshit.

Why do you say that? Solid Snake could be a very good writer if he just paid attention to grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, etc. A course in writing with a good teacher would be helpful to him, even at the age of 29. It's frustrating reading his posts sometimes because no one ever taught him how to express his thoughts on paper in a structured way. And they're thoughts that are worth expressing well. He's a good thinker and he just needs to be a good writer as well. Unless you have far less hope for him than I do.

Shazam 12-10-15 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by PileOfFudge (Post 12667381)
Lots of sad stories here as well as some very profound, thoughtful advice. I'm satisfied with life, but never happy. I have two arms and two legs and decent health. Things could be worse.

It'll be good until the police find the torsos.

JANK 12-10-15 08:12 AM

First I saw this thread so I will chime in here that I am 'reasonably happy", which is very good.

T-bone22 12-10-15 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12667274)
Probably the dumbest life advice ever given in Otter. Ever. "Pee in her butt" is fucking Viktor Frankl compared to this bullshit.

:lol:

Hokeyboy 12-10-15 08:32 AM

I'm very happy. Good job, amazing and beautiful wife who is also my best friend in the universe, no debt, we've saved up a good chunk of change for our retirement (which, all goes well, will be in @10 years at age 55), health is doing fine (running several marathons a year, which I *never* thought I'd say in this lifetime) and while I'm not extraordinarily wealthy we can afford to do the all things we love (especially travel).

That said, I'm never content. Life is entirely too short and there's so much out their to learn, to experience, to change you for the better. I'll never quite understand those who complain about being "bored with life". In the age of technology and instant information, knowledge, and entertainment, I wish I had so much free time to be that bored.

Ky-Fi 12-10-15 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12667478)
I'm very happy. Good job, amazing and beautiful wife who is also my best friend in the universe, no debt, we've saved up a good chunk of change for our retirement (which, all goes well, will be in @10 years at age 55), health is doing fine (running several marathons a year, which I *never* thought I'd say in this lifetime) and while I'm not extraordinarily wealthy we can afford to do the all things we love (especially travel).

Come on....balding, small penis, athlete's foot? Excessive body odor? Annoying neighbors, living next to a toxic waste site, multiple family members in prison or a cult? You gotta give us something to work with, here. :grunt:

Solid Snake 12-10-15 10:37 AM

He's black. A small penis to him is the average penis size. He's win win even w/ that.

Hokeyboy 12-10-15 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 12667596)
Come on....balding, small penis, athlete's foot? Excessive body odor? Annoying neighbors, living next to a toxic waste site, multiple family members in prison or a cult? You gotta give us something to work with, here. :grunt:

I do live in Florida. /drops mic

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12667630)
He's black. A small penis to him is the average penis size. He's win win even w/ that.

I am also half white Jew. I might have a teenie weenie pieenie, but still be terrible with money.

Kurt D 12-10-15 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12667798)
I do live in Florida. /drops mic

I am also half white Jew. I might have a teenie weenie pieenie, but still be terrible with money.

You also have terrible comic timing. ;)

Xiroteus 12-10-15 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12667478)
I'll never quite understand those who complain about being "bored with life". In the age of technology and instant information, knowledge, and entertainment, I wish I had so much free time to be that bored.

At the moment I doubt I do 1% of what I want to do. However I never get bored. There is just always something to do be it fun or borderline annoying. Now if I tossed in the freedom and time that financial security can bring, the things that could be done would never end. Even if there was complete free time there likely would still not be enough time for everything so first thing to fix is getting rid of the need for sleep!!!! :D

GoldenJCJ 12-10-15 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by FiveO (Post 12665769)
:lol: You guys/gals are awesome....

I'm happy...very happy...not 100% happy but I'll take it.

The most important thing is you have to be happy or at least content with your job....I cannot stress this enough. Once you're happy with what you do...other things CAN fall into place.

If you're not happy with your job things get problematic...quick. Stress builds up.

Your career allows you to keep your life in balance...living space/food/extras. If you can't do something you enjoy to keep you in general life stuff.....its going to be problematic.

I love what I do...I make good money for my area and I have no debt other than my house/car...and I've gotten my monthly bills down to under 400 bucks..total.

You have to enjoy what you do...get that in line then check on other parts of your life. Just my opinion.

I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. Unfortunately for many people, finding a job that they love and being able to make a proper living from it is few and far between.

I don't love my job and I don't hate my job. It pays well enough that I can afford to live life without struggling too much (one of the main reasons I don't hate my job). However, in order to do what I really love I'd pretty much have to win the lottery and have no job.

In fact, that would up my happiness factor quite a bit.

Hokeyboy 12-10-15 08:01 PM

I definitely don't love my job. I don't hate it either. I'm good at it, I think, I've been with one of the steadiest and most prosperous organizations in South Florida for 8 years, but all it does is fund the lifestyle. That's it.

I used to be a lot more ambitious and career-oriented, especially when I had my own business. While after four years the business ultimately failed (more due to timing than anything else, although looking back I would have done a lot very differently), I aged more and was stressed beyond reasoning during that period, and let everything else suffer for it. Ecch. Not worth the time or aggravation.

Barth 12-10-15 09:58 PM

At 34 I was starting to ponder the meaning of life, what's my reason for being here? Married, good job, playing video games or meeting friends at bars in my spare time. Sounds great right? But something was missing. I couldn't put my thumb on it. Then my wife got pregnant.

The bar time went down, the video game time went down (a bit), and now I have an almost 8 year old. I'm coaching her soccer team, helping her with homework, and playing video games with her. Life is grand again. It gave me a purpose. Mid-life crisis is a true thing and it hits us all at different points.

I'm rambling here but I'm just saying...stick with it, there will be highs and lows but when you hit the highs you will totally enjoy it.

Trevor 12-11-15 01:00 AM

I'm not sure how often I stick to this advice, but nevertheless think that perhaps it's the most true thing I've ever read: If you're thinking about yourself, you're doing it wrong.

Nick Danger 12-11-15 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg (Post 12666300)
What job do you have?

I'm pretty sure he works for the police department. Minnesota 5-0.

Why So Blu? 12-11-15 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Barth (Post 12668356)
At 34 I was starting to ponder the meaning of life, what's my reason for being here? Married, good job, playing video games or meeting friends at bars in my spare time. Sounds great right? But something was missing. I couldn't put my thumb on it. Then my wife got pregnant.

The bar time went down, the video game time went down (a bit), and now I have an almost 8 year old. I'm coaching her soccer team, helping her with homework, and playing video games with her. Life is grand again. It gave me a purpose. Mid-life crisis is a true thing and it hits us all at different points.

I'm rambling here but I'm just saying...stick with it, there will be highs and lows but when you hit the highs you will totally enjoy it.

True and they don't necessarily have to involve having kids.

Shazam 12-11-15 11:06 AM

Healthy, body parts still work, wife is mostly okay after some problems with kidney stones, kids are doing good, I own the company, revenues are now in the millions of dollars.

I guess I can't complain. Dumb employees are my worst problem.

fumanstan 12-11-15 12:03 PM

I wonder if Snake is going to reply to some of the other feedback here.

Hiro11 12-11-15 05:00 PM

Pros: Married 18 years to a woman that remarkably seems to be able to put up with me, two teenaged kids who don't hate me (yet), no one has chronic health problems. I can run a 10k in less than 40 minutes. I have a good job that I enjoy and I'm almost finished with a very challenging degree that my employer is paying for at a ridiculously expensive grad school. My parents still alive, financially comfortable and healthy. My wife and I are 8 years from owning our house outright.

Cons: I've been the sole bread winner for a family of four for 15 years. This provides a great deal of pressure and makes me much more risk averse in my life and career choices than I would naturally be. Responsibility: I don't regret it , but it's heavy. Grad school + executive-level job has meant that I haven't really seen my kids or wife in over two years. I guess they're OK. My extended family all live a minimum of 1,800 miles away, I haven't seen a sibling (all of whom I'm pretty close to) in at least three years. I rarely see my friends, maybe once a quarter. I get debilitating migraines all the time from stress, something that has never happened to me previously. My type A personality essentially means I'm never happy with where I'm at.

To summarize: first world problems. Things are good.

hanshotfirst1138 12-11-15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12664424)
Sounds to me like your extremely unmotivated. You've mentioned how miserable you are in previous threads.

The better question is why my misery doesn't motivate to be less miserable. The answer, I'm rapidly coming to, is that I secretly like being miserable because of the complacency it allows me.

Unless you're too scared to take a chance for change, you're going to be stuck in your dead end retail job in your small town with no hope for betterment.
I laughed pretty hard at the idea of "fear of success" once upon a time, but it rapidly seems more and more likely.

For starters, is it not feasible for you to get the hell out of your town and move to a bigger city with more opportunities?
Well, given that I need a GPS when I get more than 30 miles from my house, it'd be quite and adventure :lol:. Learning to not be an overgrown man-child who could actually move out of his parents' house would be a good first step.

Would you be too scared to move to LA for example?
LA? Even if I could afford it, I think moving from the suburbs to a big city would be like being thrown in the ocean after a kiddie pool. Hell, I don't have much here, but that's literally 1,900 miles from anything and everything I know, especially my friends and family. I'd literally be alone.

What did you go to college for?
That's an outstanding question. Having the sense of structure I had there was one the best things which ever happened to me. I guess that's what my parents wanted me to do, maybe it's what I thought was expected, maybe it was the only thing I knew how to do. I've spent a lot of time thinking about the answer to that. I was an exceptional student and got a great education, but I guess life was simpler: have your homework in on time, study for tests. I never had to think ahead to later in life. Or maybe I just didn't want to. I guess I naively thought there'd be some sort of greater reward for that than the real world. Maybe that's why I stick to my job: miserable as it is, it's rarely unpredictable.

Rather than coming here every now and then pitying yourself, why not make the effort? If you don't take a risk, you'll never know. No rewards without risk.
I'm thinking about therapy as a New Years resolution. It seems like the most logical first step. Haven't had much luck with it in the past, but maybe a new doc will help. The honest truth is that either I don't know why I do what I do or don't want to admit it to myself. I did my share of blaming others, to my detriment, but the truth is that I have to find some way of removing myself as an obstacle and learning to overcome my own fears.

hanshotfirst1138 12-11-15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12666386)
Right on. Work to live, don't live to work.

I don't know, sometimes I think that the opposite might have a certain appeal. A filmmaker, for instance, who gets up in the morning may work an 18 hour day, but he fucking loves what he does. Every day, he gets up, he has a vision, and he's going to make it happen. He's creating something bigger than himself, something that might have aesthetic value, something that might even outlive him. He gets up every morning knowing that he'll get to something that gives him a natural high, something he fucking loves. Sometimes, I think that might be the ultimate drug. It's beyond me to imagine anyone who loves what he does so much that it's all he can imagine doing and would be willing to do it for free. That sounds like fulfillment to me. Imagine getting up to do something because you want to instead of because you have to. Or even better, getting up to do something because you feel like you have to, like its part of you, like it's all you know and you do need to do it. I can't imagine that.

van der graaf 12-11-15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12669410)
I don't know, sometimes I think that the opposite might have a certain appeal. A filmmaker, for instance, who gets up in the morning may work an 18 hour day, but he fucking loves what he does. He's creating something bigger than himself, something that might have aesthetic value, something that might even outlive him. He gets up every morning knowing that he'll get to something that gives him a natural high, something he fucking loves. Sometimes, I think that might be the ultimate drug. It's beyond me to imagine anyone who loves what he does so much that it's all he can imagine doing and would be willing to do it for free. That sounds like fulfillment to me.

Originally Posted by Confucius
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Hokeyboy 12-11-15 11:25 PM

There I was, so happy with my life.

Tonight, at 9:10 PM EST, I had to send my little baby girl to heaven. I have no biological children, but Austen was with me since August 1997.

My baby girl. Daddy fucking loves you :( :(

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pslqfi4n1c.jpg