DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Are you happy with your life? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/629861-you-happy-your-life.html)

jfoobar 12-08-15 03:44 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 12665557)
...and I like where I live.

http://i.imgur.com/u19rqLS.jpg

Abob Teff 12-08-15 04:30 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by wearetheborg (Post 12664815)
How did you two meet?

They met when her parents needed a babysitter for the evening. (I'm sure you've heard it all. Seriously though, good for you! I agree age is just a mindset that too many people get hung up on.)


Originally Posted by A-aron (Post 12665553)
we did counseling ... first I went alone (which was nice being able to speak my mind) - but stopped once the counselor started pushing Jesus. I'm not kidding - after the 3rd session she said that she felt I needed to make friends, but that if I made them through Christ my wife would be more accepting. I got up, walked out, and never went back.

We tried couples counseling, but she stopped once the counselor seemed to take my side (at least agreeing that her demands of friend "approval" were unfair and over the line). it felt good to have someone see/understand what I had issues with.

For now, I just don't associate with anyone (and there is clearly a bit of a grudge I hold for how she went off on a friend - just because it was a female). To this day I still feel like I can't really trust her - so now a lot of things are done in hiding.

A-aron, I feel you bro! Get to the "want to leave" threads if you haven't yet.

Everybody is preaching the value of counsellors, but there are some bad ones.

As for the friend thing, this has been a major stumbling block in my marriage as well. I thought we were finally getting past it until my wife brought it up again last night. I don't know what to say on this issue. I know it irrationally upsets her, but she is going to have to figure it out. I'm not going to stop talking to female friends "just because."

On another note, I can't believe we got this far before we remembered to remind Snake that happiness is a white privilege thing.

Ky-Fi 12-08-15 05:00 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12665643)

:lol: More Great White sightings on the South Shore than up here, but I guess it is all connected.

Let's just say I don't go out for too many pre-dawn swims. :)

FiveO 12-08-15 05:11 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
:lol: You guys/gals are awesome....

I'm happy...very happy...not 100% happy but I'll take it.

The most important thing is you have to be happy or at least content with your job....I cannot stress this enough. Once you're happy with what you do...other things CAN fall into place.

If you're not happy with your job things get problematic...quick. Stress builds up.

Your career allows you to keep your life in balance...living space/food/extras. If you can't do something you enjoy to keep you in general life stuff.....its going to be problematic.

I love what I do...I make good money for my area and I have no debt other than my house/car...and I've gotten my monthly bills down to under 400 bucks..total.

You have to enjoy what you do...get that in line then check on other parts of your life. Just my opinion.

mrhan 12-08-15 08:43 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by A-aron (Post 12665553)
we did counseling ... first I went alone (which was nice being able to speak my mind) - but stopped once the counselor started pushing Jesus. I'm not kidding - after the 3rd session she said that she felt I needed to make friends, but that if I made them through Christ my wife would be more accepting. I got up, walked out, and never went back.

We tried couples counseling, but she stopped once the counselor seemed to take my side (at least agreeing that her demands of friend "approval" were unfair and over the line). it felt good to have someone see/understand what I had issues with.

For now, I just don't associate with anyone (and there is clearly a bit of a grudge I hold for how she went off on a friend - just because it was a female). To this day I still feel like I can't really trust her - so now a lot of things are done in hiding.

wow....I think you already know what to do....even though we don't know the details or know you personally I feel that your just afraid to do the right thing for yourself. The fact your now hiding shit just shows you don't want to confront the problems you and your wife are having.

....and the counselor pushing JC on you is beyond stupid. That has nothing to do with what your going through. What a bunch of horseshit.

Shannon Nutt 12-09-15 05:58 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
I'm semi-happy. I've been divorced for over a year now, and while last holiday season wasn't too bad since I was still new to being single again and still getting everything sorted out at my new place, I must confess that this holiday season has been pretty depressing for me - not to the point where I'm sulking around, but I can certainly see why the clinically depressed get so down during the holidays. :(

rocket1312 12-09-15 08:10 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by FiveO (Post 12665769)
:lol: You guys/gals are awesome....

I'm happy...very happy...not 100% happy but I'll take it.

The most important thing is you have to be happy or at least content with your job....I cannot stress this enough. Once you're happy with what you do...other things CAN fall into place.

If you're not happy with your job things get problematic...quick. Stress builds up.

Your career allows you to keep your life in balance...living space/food/extras. If you can't do something you enjoy to keep you in general life stuff.....its going to be problematic.

I love what I do...I make good money for my area and I have no debt other than my house/car...and I've gotten my monthly bills down to under 400 bucks..total.

You have to enjoy what you do...get that in line then check on other parts of your life. Just my opinion.

I'm going to disagree with this. I don't hate my job or anything, but I'm not exactly fired up to go into work in the morning. However, it serves its purpose and that is to help provide for the things that actually matter to me, which are my wife and son and other various hobbies/interests, etc. I think too many people define themselves by their job. My job is just part of me and if I didn't need the money, I'd quit tomorrow.

wearetheborg 12-09-15 08:36 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by FiveO (Post 12665769)
:lol: You guys/gals are awesome....

I'm happy...very happy...not 100% happy but I'll take it.

The most important thing is you have to be happy or at least content with your job....I cannot stress this enough. Once you're happy with what you do...other things CAN fall into place.

If you're not happy with your job things get problematic...quick. Stress builds up.

Your career allows you to keep your life in balance...living space/food/extras. If you can't do something you enjoy to keep you in general life stuff.....its going to be problematic.

I love what I do...I make good money for my area and I have no debt other than my house/car...and I've gotten my monthly bills down to under 400 bucks..total.

You have to enjoy what you do...get that in line then check on other parts of your life. Just my opinion.

What job do you have?

Obi-Wanma 12-09-15 09:29 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 12666288)
I'm going to disagree with this. I don't hate my job or anything, but I'm not exactly fired up to go into work in the morning. However, it serves its purpose and that is to help provide for the things that actually matter to me, which are my wife and son and other various hobbies/interests, etc. I think too many people define themselves by their job. My job is just part of me and if I didn't need the money, I'd quit tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

van der graaf 12-09-15 10:05 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 12666288)
I'm going to disagree with this. I don't hate my job or anything, but I'm not exactly fired up to go into work in the morning. However, it serves its purpose and that is to help provide for the things that actually matter to me, which are my wife and son and other various hobbies/interests, etc. I think too many people define themselves by their job. My job is just part of me and if I didn't need the money, I'd quit tomorrow.

Right on. Work to live, don't live to work.

kd5 12-09-15 10:11 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
Happy with my marriage, unhappy with my job.

raven56706 12-09-15 10:38 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
happy with marriage, unhappy with my in laws, kind of happy with job, super happy with my kids

Why So Blu? 12-09-15 10:46 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12666386)
Right on. Work to live, don't live to work.


This. There are times where it looks like I've lost motivation or initiative but that's not the case. I'm just not going to spend my working life worrying about bullshit. Fun will be had - everything else is secondary. I will not spend my life worrying about things I don't have control over.

/rant

inri222 12-09-15 10:55 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
Good marriage
No kids (we like it that way)
No debt (except for the mortgage)
Not great, but decent job
I try to go out and have fun at least once a week

Not 100% happy but better off than most of the people I know who contantly complain about their jobs, spouses and kids.

Ash Ketchum 12-09-15 11:31 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12663608)
Cuz I know I'm not. I haven't been. I'm not even sure what that feels like.

It's something I purposefully kind of run away from thinking about. Staying busy w/ jobs, my hobbies, people, etc.

[CUT]

Maybe leaving it all and starting over is what I need. My lease is up in July. I'm seriously trying to figure it out by point. That's my "time limit" of figuring it all out. I dunno.

Anyway... that's my fucking rant.

I'm just curious as to what your obligations to your mother are. Does she need you there? Are you doing anything for her that your sister can't do? If so, just deal with it until the day comes when your obligations are over. It may not be fair, but it's the hand that was dealt to you, so you've gotta play it. It won't help you to complain about it, to resent it, to be bitter about it. Perfectly natural to feel all those things, but it gets in the way of clearing out your head to prepare for the next move, whatever that is.

If the answer is no to my three initial questions, then maybe it's time to move on, start fresh somewhere. Just try not to have too many possessions. Maybe the military's not a bad idea. It'll give you some structure and some training and you'll get a sense of who you are in relation to a wide range of other kinds of people. Or some kind of job in the helping professions where you have to work with people who are much worse off than you. And where they come to rely on you.

The other option is to go back to school. You're a smart guy, Solid Snake, and taking classes will: 1) make you smarter; and 2) give some structure to your search for knowledge. You should also learn how to write better. You have a lot of important things to say, but you need to learn how to express them better.

smg669 12-09-15 12:55 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
My personal life is like at a 9... my professional life is at like a 2.

nando820 12-09-15 03:14 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by FiveO (Post 12665769)
:lol: You guys/gals are awesome....

I'm happy...very happy...not 100% happy but I'll take it.

The most important thing is you have to be happy or at least content with your job....I cannot stress this enough. Once you're happy with what you do...other things CAN fall into place.

If you're not happy with your job things get problematic...quick. Stress builds up.

Your career allows you to keep your life in balance...living space/food/extras. If you can't do something you enjoy to keep you in general life stuff.....its going to be problematic.

I love what I do...I make good money for my area and I have no debt other than my house/car...and I've gotten my monthly bills down to under 400 bucks..total.

You have to enjoy what you do...get that in line then check on other parts of your life. Just my opinion.

How you did that??

T-bone22 12-09-15 04:38 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by smg669 (Post 12666613)
My personal life is like at a 9... my professional life is at like a 2.

Hello hello!

Abob Teff 12-09-15 10:00 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12666498)
You have a lot of important things to say, but you need to learn how to express them better.

On behalf of my mentor Snake,

[broken english]Fuck you, mother fucker.[/broken english]

van der graaf 12-09-15 10:07 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12666498)

The other option is to go back to school. You're a smart guy, Solid Snake, and taking classes will: 1) make you smarter; and 2) give some structure to your search for knowledge. You should also learn how to write better. You have a lot of important things to say, but you need to learn how to express them better.

Probably the dumbest life advice ever given in Otter. Ever. "Pee in her butt" is fucking Viktor Frankl compared to this bullshit.

Why So Blu? 12-10-15 12:40 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by nando820 (Post 12666843)
How you did that??

Minimalist lifestyle.

PileOfFudge 12-10-15 02:14 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
Lots of sad stories here as well as some very profound, thoughtful advice. I'm satisfied with life, but never happy. I have two arms and two legs and decent health. Things could be worse.

Ash Ketchum 12-10-15 04:51 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12667274)
Probably the dumbest life advice ever given in Otter. Ever. "Pee in her butt" is fucking Viktor Frankl compared to this bullshit.

Why do you say that? Solid Snake could be a very good writer if he just paid attention to grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, etc. A course in writing with a good teacher would be helpful to him, even at the age of 29. It's frustrating reading his posts sometimes because no one ever taught him how to express his thoughts on paper in a structured way. And they're thoughts that are worth expressing well. He's a good thinker and he just needs to be a good writer as well. Unless you have far less hope for him than I do.

Shazam 12-10-15 07:53 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by PileOfFudge (Post 12667381)
Lots of sad stories here as well as some very profound, thoughtful advice. I'm satisfied with life, but never happy. I have two arms and two legs and decent health. Things could be worse.

It'll be good until the police find the torsos.

JANK 12-10-15 08:12 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
First I saw this thread so I will chime in here that I am 'reasonably happy", which is very good.

T-bone22 12-10-15 08:22 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12667274)
Probably the dumbest life advice ever given in Otter. Ever. "Pee in her butt" is fucking Viktor Frankl compared to this bullshit.

:lol:

Hokeyboy 12-10-15 08:32 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
I'm very happy. Good job, amazing and beautiful wife who is also my best friend in the universe, no debt, we've saved up a good chunk of change for our retirement (which, all goes well, will be in @10 years at age 55), health is doing fine (running several marathons a year, which I *never* thought I'd say in this lifetime) and while I'm not extraordinarily wealthy we can afford to do the all things we love (especially travel).

That said, I'm never content. Life is entirely too short and there's so much out their to learn, to experience, to change you for the better. I'll never quite understand those who complain about being "bored with life". In the age of technology and instant information, knowledge, and entertainment, I wish I had so much free time to be that bored.

Ky-Fi 12-10-15 10:09 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12667478)
I'm very happy. Good job, amazing and beautiful wife who is also my best friend in the universe, no debt, we've saved up a good chunk of change for our retirement (which, all goes well, will be in @10 years at age 55), health is doing fine (running several marathons a year, which I *never* thought I'd say in this lifetime) and while I'm not extraordinarily wealthy we can afford to do the all things we love (especially travel).

Come on....balding, small penis, athlete's foot? Excessive body odor? Annoying neighbors, living next to a toxic waste site, multiple family members in prison or a cult? You gotta give us something to work with, here. :grunt:

Solid Snake 12-10-15 10:37 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
He's black. A small penis to him is the average penis size. He's win win even w/ that.

Hokeyboy 12-10-15 01:01 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 12667596)
Come on....balding, small penis, athlete's foot? Excessive body odor? Annoying neighbors, living next to a toxic waste site, multiple family members in prison or a cult? You gotta give us something to work with, here. :grunt:

I do live in Florida. /drops mic

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12667630)
He's black. A small penis to him is the average penis size. He's win win even w/ that.

I am also half white Jew. I might have a teenie weenie pieenie, but still be terrible with money.

Kurt D 12-10-15 03:51 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12667798)
I do live in Florida. /drops mic

I am also half white Jew. I might have a teenie weenie pieenie, but still be terrible with money.

You also have terrible comic timing. ;)

Xiroteus 12-10-15 04:21 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12667478)
I'll never quite understand those who complain about being "bored with life". In the age of technology and instant information, knowledge, and entertainment, I wish I had so much free time to be that bored.

At the moment I doubt I do 1% of what I want to do. However I never get bored. There is just always something to do be it fun or borderline annoying. Now if I tossed in the freedom and time that financial security can bring, the things that could be done would never end. Even if there was complete free time there likely would still not be enough time for everything so first thing to fix is getting rid of the need for sleep!!!! :D

GoldenJCJ 12-10-15 06:13 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by FiveO (Post 12665769)
:lol: You guys/gals are awesome....

I'm happy...very happy...not 100% happy but I'll take it.

The most important thing is you have to be happy or at least content with your job....I cannot stress this enough. Once you're happy with what you do...other things CAN fall into place.

If you're not happy with your job things get problematic...quick. Stress builds up.

Your career allows you to keep your life in balance...living space/food/extras. If you can't do something you enjoy to keep you in general life stuff.....its going to be problematic.

I love what I do...I make good money for my area and I have no debt other than my house/car...and I've gotten my monthly bills down to under 400 bucks..total.

You have to enjoy what you do...get that in line then check on other parts of your life. Just my opinion.

I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. Unfortunately for many people, finding a job that they love and being able to make a proper living from it is few and far between.

I don't love my job and I don't hate my job. It pays well enough that I can afford to live life without struggling too much (one of the main reasons I don't hate my job). However, in order to do what I really love I'd pretty much have to win the lottery and have no job.

In fact, that would up my happiness factor quite a bit.

Hokeyboy 12-10-15 08:01 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
I definitely don't love my job. I don't hate it either. I'm good at it, I think, I've been with one of the steadiest and most prosperous organizations in South Florida for 8 years, but all it does is fund the lifestyle. That's it.

I used to be a lot more ambitious and career-oriented, especially when I had my own business. While after four years the business ultimately failed (more due to timing than anything else, although looking back I would have done a lot very differently), I aged more and was stressed beyond reasoning during that period, and let everything else suffer for it. Ecch. Not worth the time or aggravation.

Barth 12-10-15 09:58 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
At 34 I was starting to ponder the meaning of life, what's my reason for being here? Married, good job, playing video games or meeting friends at bars in my spare time. Sounds great right? But something was missing. I couldn't put my thumb on it. Then my wife got pregnant.

The bar time went down, the video game time went down (a bit), and now I have an almost 8 year old. I'm coaching her soccer team, helping her with homework, and playing video games with her. Life is grand again. It gave me a purpose. Mid-life crisis is a true thing and it hits us all at different points.

I'm rambling here but I'm just saying...stick with it, there will be highs and lows but when you hit the highs you will totally enjoy it.

Trevor 12-11-15 01:00 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
I'm not sure how often I stick to this advice, but nevertheless think that perhaps it's the most true thing I've ever read: If you're thinking about yourself, you're doing it wrong.

Nick Danger 12-11-15 06:24 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by wearetheborg (Post 12666300)
What job do you have?

I'm pretty sure he works for the police department. Minnesota 5-0.

Why So Blu? 12-11-15 10:57 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 

Originally Posted by Barth (Post 12668356)
At 34 I was starting to ponder the meaning of life, what's my reason for being here? Married, good job, playing video games or meeting friends at bars in my spare time. Sounds great right? But something was missing. I couldn't put my thumb on it. Then my wife got pregnant.

The bar time went down, the video game time went down (a bit), and now I have an almost 8 year old. I'm coaching her soccer team, helping her with homework, and playing video games with her. Life is grand again. It gave me a purpose. Mid-life crisis is a true thing and it hits us all at different points.

I'm rambling here but I'm just saying...stick with it, there will be highs and lows but when you hit the highs you will totally enjoy it.

True and they don't necessarily have to involve having kids.

Shazam 12-11-15 11:06 AM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
Healthy, body parts still work, wife is mostly okay after some problems with kidney stones, kids are doing good, I own the company, revenues are now in the millions of dollars.

I guess I can't complain. Dumb employees are my worst problem.

fumanstan 12-11-15 12:03 PM

Re: Are you happy with your life?
 
I wonder if Snake is going to reply to some of the other feedback here.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.