Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?
Yes
80.00%
No
15.00%
What are you high?
5.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?

Old 12-04-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?

Would it it is no longer dvdtalk.com but called streamingtalk.com in the future?
Old 12-04-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, pretty much the only reason I even come here any more is to take a quick look at the "42nd Random Picture" thread. Most other things are like this thread - a total waste of time to read. Unlike many of you I do not come here while I am at work. I teach English in various Japanese companies - a single class at Sony, then on to the Louis Vuitton office for a class and then over to Fujitsu for a class. So, I can only look here at home, and nowadays, to be quite truthful, I've got better things to do with my time than read/comment on threads like this.

In the old days (1998 - 1999) I never got past the DVD Talk Forum - it was THE REASON for this place's existence. Now it's the last place I stop in at and after taking a quick gander at the thread titles I click on the "Mark This Forum Read" and move on. And, that's the way it is for most areas.

And, same as one other person said - the way I've been treated here for the past couple of years has actually made me want so see this place crash and burn! I was treated the same way at Not just buttholes and was quite happy to see that one disappear without any warning (unless I missed the warning when it came).
Old 12-04-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

I am a crotchety old bastard. This is my only online stop. I hate social media and refuse to use it (although a co-worker has me set up on Untappd now). I am not going to find another online forum. I've been here since 1999 and I'm not changing now.

If DVDTalk went away ... Fuck me. I'd have to go back to talking to my wife ... Or my girlfriend ... Or, god forbid, both. However, I need intelligent conversation. Maybe I should check to see if the dead hooker is in my trunk still.

Now get off my lawn! You can have my DVDTalk when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Old 12-04-15, 08:15 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I would be very sad.
Old 12-04-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd be disappointed. The MST3K and Doctor Who threads are good resources and I have some kind of attachment to the members.
Old 12-04-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 120 Likes on 73 Posts

I like talking about tv shows here, mostly. I'd miss that subforum at least. Hell I've been coming here for almost 15 years. But if this place went away tomorrow I'd be fine, and would probably just switch to subreddits of the shows I follow.
No offence to anyone, but it's not like I ever made close friends with any of you because of the site.
Old 12-04-15, 10:00 PM
Admin

Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Fuck all you pieces of shit. This site really went to shit when some mod fucked up and then everybody called out on their shit and then it was damn near lazy fuck anarchy here. Groucho isn't funny anymore. Rocshemp disappeared. C unt was taken away from me. But I'm still here, motherfuckers!

Mobile version is basic as fuck. And so much more.

I dunno. Maybe if the people who run this shithole home of ours got their shit straight it might be better. Right now? It's mostly a common core of c unts doing their fucking thing here. But we're dying. Also why the fuck are we still called DVDtalk? Fucktards don't know that that shit pretty much kills us? Dumb shits.
I would miss this...I think.
Old 12-04-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I like talking about tv shows here, mostly. I'd miss that subforum at least. Hell I've been coming here for almost 15 years. But if this place went away tomorrow I'd be fine, and would probably just switch to subreddits of the shows I follow.
No offence to anyone, but it's not like I ever made close friends with any of you because of the site.
Less than 2,400 posts in 15 years? You need to TRY to make friends. That's not trying.
Old 12-04-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty much the only forum I visit these days.
If it were gone, I'd probably spend a lot more time masturbating.
Old 12-04-15, 10:20 PM
Admin

Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts

This site is like a red dwarf star. Dimly lit, but will continue to burn for up to 2.5 trillion years.
Old 12-04-15, 10:29 PM
Banned by request

My relationship with this site has lasted longer than every single romantic relationship and most (but not all) friendships I've ever had.
Old 12-04-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd miss it a lot, I can't think of a place that has any many topics that interest me while keeping somewhat fun and civil conversation. I'd be less sad then I would have been years ago though given the number of people that have left and leaving a few personalities that are more annoying then funny.
Old 12-04-15, 11:58 PM
Banned by request

The civility of this place cannot be understated. I tend to check out other forums when I'm interested in some subject or another, and it is VERY rare to find a place as civil as this.
Old 12-05-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ArnieCunningham View Post
You should of been named Buddy Repperton! MODS CHANGE HIS NAME!!

Or expelled. (Sametging really)

Should of...
Old 12-05-15, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little if it went poof. Like others have said I just read a few threads here and there and that's about it. Rarely do I even leave a comment here.
Old 12-05-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'd miss it a lot, I can't think of a place that has any many topics that interest me while keeping somewhat fun and civil conversation. I'd be less sad then I would have been years ago though given the number of people that have left and leaving a few personalities that are more annoying then funny.
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The civility of this place cannot be understated. I tend to check out other forums when I'm interested in some subject or another, and it is VERY rare to find a place as civil as this.
Both of these statements are true. For the most part the posters here are alright. Some can be irritating at times but most here don't come across like complete assholes or at least if they do they don't take themselves too seriously and do it more in a joking manner.

This is really the main website that I actively post on and visit daily so yeah I'd be pretty upset if it were gone. I probably would spend less time on the Internet in general (which may be good or bad ) as a lot of other sites I visit I just browse for a bit and maybe read a couple stories or posts and then leave. I find myself coming here numerous times throughout most days.
Old 12-05-15, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd miss this place. Over the last 5 years, I have drifted away from almost every forum I used to visit. The only ones I still come to are this forum and yojoe.com (for toy collecting geeks).

I used to go through all the sections of this site on a daily basis... bargains, blu-ray, DVD... now I only go to Other. I can't even remember the last time I went to another area of this site. I'm just not excited about movies the way I used to be and rarely buy anything anymore, but something about Otter and the ridiculous discussions and the nearly complete disregard for human life and decency makes me love this place.

Where else can I read about dirty cops, waffle makers, and girls who are allergic to wifi all in the same place?
Old 12-05-15, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd be sad. There are a bunch of cool people on this forum that I like to hear from every day.
Old 12-05-15, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course I'd miss this site. Where else am I going to post stories of my pathetic dating life?
Old 12-05-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

These threads are sad too, since you see people comment about how they rarely visit and i just think how nice it would be if all the lurkers or part time visitors came back and posted more given that it would improve the amount of discussion on here.
Old 12-05-15, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Seriously... why you no banned?
I'm not sure how fucking subtle my sarcasm is but it's gotta be a goddamn fucking artform if you have to ask that question, mate.

How fucking serious do you take me? One can tell when I'm being serious or not. Context usually reads in the words I put in a post or how I act w/ some members based on our history here. And sometimes.. I like to sprinkle bullshit in my serious too but you've got to know context, hombre.

How serious do you take some anonymous fucks on this website? Or any website?

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
My relationship with this site has lasted longer than every single romantic relationship and most (but not all) friendships I've ever had.
Jesus H. Fuck Me in the Asshole Christ. Are you still bitching about Brett Ratner stealing your girlfriend?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-05-15 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-05-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 93 Posts

Even considering my two-year self-imposed hiatus, I would miss Otterville if DVDTalk went away. I don't really visit any of the other areas, just Otter and its Religion & Politics subforum. Every once in a while a review will catch my eye and I'll read it.

I've had a number of online communities that I've hung out at over the past twenty years, but this one has held me the longest. I already miss the people who are gone, and I'm so pathetic I sometimes go back and read threads from 2008 or 2010 and giggle over them. I know that the folks who have been here since the Year One consider pre-2000 DVDTalk to be the golden age, but I didn't join till 2006 so I've got my own golden age.

I use Facebook, so I'm part of the problem. And I do have some Otters on my FB friends list, but it's not the same. They fulfill different needs.
Old 12-05-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I'm not sure how fucking subtle my sarcasm is but it's gotta be a goddamn fucking artform if you have to ask that question, mate.

How serious do you take some anonymous fucks on this website? Or any website?
Hmmm... you seem to have taken me seriously.... weird.
Old 12-05-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Hmmm... you seem to have taken me seriously.... weird.
How are you not banned yet?
Old 12-05-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
How are you not banned yet?
Better question: why the fuck do you keep posting inane shit?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.