Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How Many Hobbies or Activities are you involved in?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: How many hobbies or activities do you do, what are they?
1 or 2 DVD's are all I need
31.58%
3 - 5 I like to keep busy
52.63%
6 - 9 I'm retired or act like it
5.26%
10+ I'm insane
10.53%
I do everything like Twikoff does
0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How Many Hobbies or Activities are you involved in?

Old 11-10-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How Many Hobbies or Activities are you involved in?

Old 11-10-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Up until this year, I sang in several different choirs over the years. I'm a trained singer and really enjoyed it. But I turned fifty this year, my voice isn't what it used to be, I'm currently concentrating on work to an insane degree, and so I've put all that to the wayside.

I love to read and my book collection threatens to take over my house. I've dipped a toe into Kindle on my BlackBerry Passport, but so far only find it useful for when I have to wait in line someplace and need something to distract me.

Of course, cats. I have four.

Scrabble and cards. Have several friends that I enjoy these with, particularly now that it's getting into cold weather.

Really, I'm just a classic middle-aged single woman these days. haha
Old 11-10-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. I collect old paperbacks (and an occasional hardcover) and post pics of my collection on a fairly thriving Instagram account (@vintagebooklove).

2. Working out and running, although not nearly as much anymore due to my commute, a new dog, a new relationship, and fatherhood. (Even missing this weekend's LV half-marathon, which I signed up for back in May.)

3. Traveling. Last year the Yucatan Peninsula and Ireland the year before that. Hawaii twice this year.
Old 11-10-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hobbies/activities? Hmm... on the fitness realm there's:

1) Running. I average about 25-30 miles a week, and participate in a ton of races (5ks through Marathons) -- this year so far I've done 20 race events, without about 5 more to go.

2) Swimming. Usually 2-3x a week, anywhere from 1-2 km in either a 25m or 50m pool. Occasionally I'll do open water but I have to particularly driven that morning.

3) Cycling. Once a week. I'm not an avid cyclist but I like to keep active, especially when tri season comes along.

Then there's

4) Music. I play guitar, keyboards, bass, ukulele, and a few other instruments and like to noodle around on my own. I don't play in bands anymore and rarely jam with anyone else. This is for my own enjoyment. I have collected a ton of guitars over the years, but most of the prized ones were sold off years ago to keep our business afloat. *sigh*

5) Vinyl collecting. Mostly used records, some new, but great fun.

6) Gaming -- PC, console, tabletop, RPGs, MMOs, card games, etc. Most of my more "hardcore" gaming buddies aren't around much, so this is more social game nights with other couples (Cards Against Humanity, Left Right Center, etc.)

7) Shooting. This is FL after all. Target practice, tactical training, etc.

8) Does karaoke count? My wife and I do this at our local pub once a week. This is our religion. She can sing very well. I have about a 3-note range and stick to it like clockwork.

9) Coding/Programming/Development. Technically this is more job-related, but I enjoy learning new languages, technologies, mobile development, tablets, etc. on my own. I've worked in IT for 20 years now, mostly because programming was my favorite hobby growing up. My degree in English and American Literature has paid off SO well...

10) Blogging. Not just running my own but one for my local run club, and contributing to several others.

11) Traveling. Lately this has consisted of finding a cool half/full marathon somewhere and spending some travel/tourist time around it. The highlight this year was going to Alaska to run the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon, and then spend a bunch of time glacier trekking, zip lining, visiting the parks (Chugach, didn't get to Denali) and seeing the wildlife. Next year we're looking at New Orleans and hopefully Iceland or Berlin.

OK I'm out.
Old 11-10-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Up until this year, I sang in several different choirs over the years. I'm a trained singer and really enjoyed it. But I turned fifty this year, my voice isn't what it used to be, I'm currently concentrating on work to an insane degree, and so I've put all that to the wayside.
Sorry to hear that. My choir has people of all ages, but I understand the challenges of age since the voice is a physical instrument. Control can be difficult, as can standing and memorization for our people who are 60-70+.
Old 11-10-15, 11:21 AM

I like watching independent and foreign films, watercolor painting and drawing. I spend most of my free time (and money) painting and updating our home. It's always a renovation in progress.
Old 11-10-15, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Semi retired so I only work on projects that are interesting. More time for my cars, movies and comic books.
Old 11-10-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by invisiblegt View Post
How are people defining a "hobby?" I mean it sounds like, for most, they're defining a hobby, essentially, as just something they do at random times.

I mean, drinking a craft beer once or twice a week when you're eating dinner isn't really a hobby. Neither is watching a movie here and there, or listening to music. They just amount to things that you enjoy doing, as opposed to legitimate hobbies. I realize that I'm arguing semantics here, but still...
By this definition, I have no hobbies.

I understand where you're coming from. My sister is competitive and puts a lot of time into her "leisure" activities. She used to be nationally ranked in her age group in horse jumping. Now she runs marathons, and finishes toward the top of her age group. Her goal is to run a marathon in every state.

I occasionally take care of my bees (they're currently ready for winter), occasionally work on the cars (I want to change the shift points on the station wagon), occasionally upgrade the house (today I'm rewiring the garage), occasionally watch nonstandard movies (last night we watched The Night Porter), this morning I looked for a backlight for my Heathkit weather station, and so forth.

I have lots of activities that interest me. But I don't spend more than 20 hours a month doing any of them.
Old 11-10-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by invisiblegt View Post
How are people defining a "hobby?" I mean it sounds like, for most, they're defining a hobby, essentially, as just something they do at random times.

I mean, drinking a craft beer once or twice a week when you're eating dinner isn't really a hobby. Neither is watching a movie here and there, or listening to music. They just amount to things that you enjoy doing, as opposed to legitimate hobbies. I realize that I'm arguing semantics here, but still...
I have actively pursued various craft beers, sometimes special ordering cases. I've traveled to attend beer festivals. I frequent beer websites to discuss new beers, and locate difficult to find beers. I will also go out of my way to eat at restaurants that support craft brewers.

To me, it is a hobby.
Old 11-12-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not many, anymore.

Spending time with my toddler - this is far and away #1
College Football & Basketball - I have pretty much given up NFL, NBA, NHL and almost all others to have more time for #1
Reading
TV - only watching Walking Dead currently, enjoy the Netflix binge model
Movies - more buying right now and building my collection than I have time to watch currently

I have given up internet at home (still have time at work), music, and a good amount of other things for our girl. Totally worth it though.
Old 01-26-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still semi-collect Ken Griffey Jr. baseball cards/items when I get the itch(about once or twice a year), but I got rid of everything else in my card collection a couple of months ago.
Old 01-26-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of Twikoff.... where is he?
Old 01-26-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Been a woodturner for several years now. Lately, I have been making stuff like this:

I could say travel, but it would be more honest to say that when I got re-married a couple of years ago, I married a travel addict so it is less a hobby of mine and more her just dragging me (usually quite willingly) all over the world.
Old 01-26-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I consider a hobby anything done for relaxation and fun outside of work and family. I see some have included their children, but my daughter is 17 and we spend time together as friends, so I just don't see her as part of a hobby any longer.

Knitting - I've been knitting avidly for about 8 years spending so many hours on the Ravelry knitting site just discussing knitting. I have a ton of yarn and needles. I also travel to knitting festivals and conventions.

Crocheting/Cross-stitch - not as much as knitting but it's still a hobby especially when you look at my collection of stuff.

Nail polish/nail care - Yup, a hobby. I find it relaxing and I have a massive collection of polish, including hard-to-find indie brands. I spend time researching and chatting about brands/colors/techniques and the like on various forums.

Casual gaming - Puzzle games, rhythm games, time-management games and the like on the Nintendo DS and iPad.

Journaling/Planners/Fountain Pens - I keep a bullet journal and like reading about and collecting journaling accessories, which includes fountain pens with the various inks that are available. I also like to handwrite letters.

Concerts - When I have the money. I've seen many groups live in all genres, Rock, Rap, Old-School R&B, even Country. I try to go to at least 5 - 10 a year.

Coloring Books - Yup, jumped into the coloring book bandwagon for relaxation. I have about 40 books and lots of different pencils and markers to use.

Reading - It's mainly been audiobooks lately, which I can listen to while knitting or coloring.

Television - it's kind of the background to some of the above hobbies, but me and the teen like binge watching various sci-fi, action and mystery shows.

Last edited by iggystar; 01-26-16 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My two primary hobbies are watching movies, and going to independent wrestling shows. I go to a handful of shows monthly with my son and his friend. We saw 63 shows last year and have 3 lined up for this weekend.
Old 01-26-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Music/movies/TV/books
Comic books (just got back into them recently)
Collecting action figures
Playing basketball (I would rather have my teeth drilled than watch it)
NFL (watch what is on)
MLB (follow the Cubs...sadly)
Video games (just got a PS4 and a few games that I am terrible at)