Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do people still go to High School Reunions?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-02-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

I graduated High School in 1995. There were probably between 200-300 kids in my graduating class. My 20 year reunion is tomorrow. 69 people have purchased tickets, and at least a third of those are spouses who didn't go to our school.

Do people still go to reunions, or does my class just suck? Has social media killed the need for reunions, with people figuring that they keep in touch with everyone that they care to on Facebook, so why go to the reunion?

Full disclosure, I'm one of those who has not purchased tickets, so I'm part of the problem, but I was waiting to see who else was going. There's an event page that lists everyone who has purchased tickets, and there just aren't very many people attending that I'm interested in seeing. I'm also wondering if that feature hasn't hurt attendance rather than helped it, as I bet there were a lot of others doing what I was doing.
Old 10-02-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Do people still go to High School Reunions?

I have never been to one of mine. Mainly because I just don't give a shit.
Old 10-02-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
This.
Old 10-02-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

I went to my 25th high school reunion a few weeks ago. Even with social media it's nice to get together in one place. It was a fun time and I got to see a few classmates that I did not see at other reunions including a German exchange student from our senior year. He was in the US for business and made it to the reunion.
Old 10-02-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I went to my 10 year which was 12 years ago, before Facebook. There were maybe 15 people there plus spouses. My class didn't really have much school spirit to begin with though so it wasn't all that surprising. I'm going to my girlfriends 20th in a few weeks so we'll see.
Old 10-02-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hated more than half of my class anyways... they can f themselves
Old 10-02-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No desire to go to a reunion. I don't keep in touch with anyone from high school. I figure at a reunion there would be a couple people I would catch up with, the rest I don't need to see again.
Old 10-02-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

I went to my 20th and it was very "meh". I did catch up with an old buddy and we hung a few times after that. For the record, I don't do Facebook and still have little to no desire to see all those people and I did enjoy high school very much.
Old 10-02-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

1983 grad here. I didn't go to any of mine until the 25 year came up. Since then I've reconnected with a lot of my high school friends and we get together all the time. It's fun. I attended a very small private school for my junior and senior years only, and there were 9 people in my graduating class. Two of them ended up marrying each other and they are among my best friends. We call ourselves the "Nerd One-Third" of the class. Last Friday night we went to the drive in movie together and then the next day got together with a bunch of schoolmates to visit with a member of the class of 1981 who was in town.

The public school I attended for just my sophomore year invited me to their 30 year reunion and I went. *shrug* There weren't a lot of people there that I remembered, but it was still fun.
Old 10-02-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 234 Posts

I have no idea if my high school graduating class even attempted a reunion - if they did, I never heard about it. Either way - I have no desire to go. If I wanted to spend time with people from high school, I'd still be friends with them today. It's the same reason why I don't do Facebook.

Last edited by Coral; 10-02-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 10:02 AM

My best friend even today is someone I went to high school with. He was really interested in going to the reunion, but like me, he doesn't see many names on the confirmed attendees list that he's interested in seeing, so he hasn't bought his either.

Besides him (and there's no need to go to see him), there are maybe 2-3 other people on the list that I could even see myself talking to. Lots of names that I don't even remember.

Also, I don't know what these things typically cost, but the ticket is 60 bucks, and it just isn't worth that much to me.
Old 10-02-15, 10:03 AM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

I've never been to a high school reunion, but I don't think anyone sent me an invite to the party. So it's pretty much like it was in high school for me.
Old 10-02-15, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 20 year was a couple months ago. It was all organized via FB and the response was so bad that they opened it up to people from surrounding years. It looks like maybe 20 people showed up for evening festivities and I never saw any pics from the family event the next day.

I'm in contact with and friends with the people who I want to be. I hated high school, so there's no way I'd have gone other than possibly the morbid curiosity factor.
Old 10-02-15, 10:18 AM

^This one was also mainly organized on Facebook. I think what happened was, our class president just created a group, added everyone that she was FB friends with to the group, and basically asked them to do the same, so it was sort of a fan out. She also asked the group for contact info for anyone that we were in contact with who wasn't on Facebook. So if you're weren't in contact with anyone from high school in any way (or at least not anyone who made it into the FB group), you probably didn't get an invite. There were no paper invitations sent that I'm aware of. It was all very lazily done. There's 100 some odd members of the group, and 90+ indicated interest in the reunion when the group was first created (sometime last year).

Then 6 months ago or so, the details were firmed up, and the event website was created where you could purchase tickets, share memories, etc. Originally they were supposed to close sales 2 weeks ago, with no tickets to be sold at the door. Then, presumably because of poor response, and the fact that they're probably losing money on the hall rental, they extended online sales until Oct 1 (yesterday), and said that there would be up to 10 tickets available at the door. This spurred maybe 5-6 more sales.
Old 10-02-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

I hated high school and barely got out in one piece but actually wanted to go to the 10th, because I thought it'd be fun but no one bothered to organize it. It will be my 20th next year and no one has said shit about that one either.
Old 10-02-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 5 close friends from HS I see several times a year. I have no desire to see any of the other fools. I got rid of them once; why would I want to see them again? One of my close friends went and he said it wasn't all that; just a bunch of a-holes reliving the best time of their lives. I liked my HS but I would never say it was the best time.
Old 10-02-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts

I didnt go to mine, didnt want to see a bunch of people who thought they were so cool to be drunks in high school, end up as alcoholics as adults. Mine 5 years ago was entirely planned on facebook, and no one made an effort to find me for it. Although it would have been funny to see who was fat or bald.
Old 10-02-15, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
This
Old 10-02-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
No desire to go to a reunion. I don't keep in touch with anyone from high school. I figure at a reunion there would be a couple people I would catch up with, the rest I don't need to see again.
My 30 year high school reunion will be sometime in the summer of 2016. I didn't go to the 10th, 20th or 25th reunion and have no desire to go to the 30th. I am friends with a few of my classmates on Facebook but it's not like we were close in high school or anything.

We very seldom if ever speak on Facebook so it's not like I'm about to jump at the chance to hang out with them thirty years later. It does make me feel old however to think I will have been graduated from high school for thirty years in June.
Old 10-02-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

1982 Grad
Went to 10 year alone - Had a blast
Went to 20 year w/ Best Friend from school - Had a blast
25th was a picnic that I skipped
Missed the 30th year on purpose
Old 10-02-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Never been to one. Would never go to one.
Old 10-02-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like 75% of my class isn't on social media, only graduated with about 75 people. I don't really have a desire to go to my 20th in 2018. Wouldn't mind seeing 5-10 people but that's about it.
Old 10-02-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Never went one because I probably won't recognize anyone anyway.
Old 10-02-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

97 grad here. Skipped my 10 year, because by then I was reacquainted with anyone I cared about via social media. I think they tried a 15 but it fell apart. Something at a park where people could bring their kids too. Pass. Who knows about 20.

Last edited by stingermck; 10-02-15 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Dexter Douglas View Post
My 20 year was a couple months ago. It was all organized via FB and the response was so bad that they opened it up to people from surrounding years.
Same thing here. My 20 year was last year and it was for 3-4 different graduating classes. That's just another reason not to go. I don't know or care much about people in my class let alone the one's surrounding mine.

I still hang out with 3-4 guys from H.S. and have another handful I keep in touch with on fb. I don't care about anyone else.

Facebook/social media is probably just killing reunions left and right.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.