Reload this Page >

I had my Buttercup moment ... Fail

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-19-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Since somebody was complaining about the "snark" in Otterville, I feel compelled to share a real story. That, and I need to get this out of my head.

In the first season of How I Met Your Mother, one of the characters meets a woman at a wedding. She was not looking for a hookup or a relationship, but just one night of anonymous fun and (non-sexual) "romance." The only name she gave him was "Buttercup." I fell in love with that episode and that concept. I've always wanted that experience.

Last night it happened to me and I didn't even realize it.

I'm in Chicago on a business trip (the annual one I usually bring up in the "Chicago Violence is Insane/Crazy" thread). My co-worker had to bail out early for a family emergency, so that left me to wrap up the business at hand for the day. It was storming pretty hard when I finished so that put a kink into walking to dinner. I went back to my room and vegetated for a while, watched some TV, and answered e-mails.

The rain finally stopped around 9 or so and I ventured out to the Billy Goat Tavern for International Cheeseburger Day. On the walk back it started to drizzle again so I figured I had better get back to the hotel. I ventured down to the hotel bar to have another beer and see if any clients were down there. There weren't, so I had my quiet drink, read a bit of the book I'm reading, and did some "people watching." A few seats down is -- OK, I'm going to deviate a bit here -- a smoking hot blonde who is way out of my league. She's sitting alone doing the same thing I am, reading, people watching and nibbling on French fries. After a while she scoots down to the empty seat next to me to make room for another party.

After a while I ordered another drink and some ice cream (kitchen was closing, options were limited). The waitress brings my drink and ice cream and the blonde leans over and asks "You ever dip French fries in ice cream?" My answer to this is, oddly enough, an honest yes.

We spent the next several hours in very engaging conversation and very entertaining people watching. It was amazing the amount of things we had in common. It was pouring down rain at this point, so we were pretty well stuck there (she was staying at another hotel). We closed down the bar (they kicked us out) and then chatted for a while in the lobby as we hailed a cab. Just before parting ways, I made the mistake -- I asked her name and introduced myself (first name only).

I saw a client this morning who was at the bar last night. He asked what time "did you two finally leave?" I told him they kicked us out, to which he replied "You've closed down worse places." (The last time I was in his city, my group closed down a few bars. When he found out where we went he was rather shocked we went there -- we're talking "dirt floors and chicken wire on the windows,we have both kinds of music" places -- it's a running joke now).

Then it dawned on me: While it wasn't quite an "out and about" adventure, it was my Buttercup moment ... And now I am obsessing. Anybody know an English teacher from the Austin, TX area?

OK Otters, have your fun ...
Old 09-19-15, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 633 Likes on 483 Posts
re: I had my Buttercup moment ... Fail

I read most of this. And to answer your question - yes. I know a few English teachers in Austin.
Old 09-19-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 533 Likes on 301 Posts

Don't look for her. Just enjoy the memory.
Old 09-19-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought this was going to end up with you getting laid. Why did you build me up just to let me down?

Back when I was single in Chicago, I realized that a hotel bar was probably the best place to hang out if I wanted a no-frills hook-up. I never did put that plan into action, mostly because I'm not a one-night stand kind of guy.
Old 09-19-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 655 Likes on 510 Posts

TL;DR

Yeah, she was primed. You should have bounced back to the hotel or wherever. I'm sure she was waiting for you to make a move and escalate.
Old 09-19-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Bubba Buttercup was once a street name of mine.
Old 09-19-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

you are better off. You didn't really want to find out how big her dick was anyway.
Old 09-19-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I thought this was going to end up with you getting laid. Why did you build me up just to let me down?

Back when I was single in Chicago, I realized that a hotel bar was probably the best place to hang out if I wanted a no-frills hook-up. I never did put that plan into action, mostly because I'm not a one-night stand kind of guy.
Old 09-19-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread did not deliver
Old 09-19-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'd have known what a horrible ending that story had I would've left my dick in my pants.
Old 09-19-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

man, that would never happen to me.

My life gets the "smoking hot blonde" replaced with "mentally ill homeless guy".
Old 09-19-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I'm with Mrs. D. A flirtation can be fun on its own. It doesn't need to end with a walk of shame. Though that can be fun too.
Old 09-19-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
If I'd have known what a horrible ending that story had I would've left my dick in my pants.
And now you're obligated to finish. Better turn on the Muppet Show.
Old 09-19-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
man, that would never happen to me.

My life gets the "smoking hot blonde" replaced with "mentally ill homeless guy".
Does it end with you getting laid though?
Old 09-19-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Does it end with you getting laid though?
No, he just pukes all over my french fries and ice cream.
Old 09-19-15, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the thread title and thought it was going to be about the OP being Buttercup from The Princess Bride and finding his Wesley. Either way this thread disappoints. No Princess Bride. No peeing in the butt. Nothing.
Old 09-19-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Yeah, you're probably right Mrs. D. However ...

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
I read most of this. And to answer your question - yes. I know a few English teachers in Austin.
Seriously?

I apologize for the length, I tried to keep it concise and left out some of the gory conversation details (debating over which couples were hooking up, which couples were actually male-female, etc.) however that probably took out some of the fun.

So here we go, 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon ... Can we find her? (Sorry, Mrs. D.)

PS -- I'm disappointed there have been no jokes about dipping her French fries in my ice cream, although that is backwards I suppose.
Old 09-19-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes hotel bars are a great place to pick up chicks. I learned this inadvertently as well. Screwing random chicks was never my thing so I stopped going to hotel bars by myself.
Old 09-19-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 524 Likes on 247 Posts

I have a weekend fling from many years back who lives in Austin, or at least used to. Should you go there and meet up with a charming butchy looking type with a New Zealand accent, don't believe a word she says about me because it's all feckin' LIES. lol
Old 09-19-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter...combined with Google search and as a last resort, LinkedIn

You have a first name, occupation, and location. Should be really easy to find this person.

I forgot about that HIMYM episode. Might have to watch it again. And I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks haha
Old 09-19-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 533 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Can we find her? (Sorry, Mrs. D.)
First off, she is probably not a teacher, nor from Austin.
Old 09-19-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 792 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I have a weekend fling from many years back who lives in Austin, or at least used to. Should you go there and meet up with a charming butchy looking type with a New Zealand accent, don't believe a word she says about me because it's all feckin' LIES. lol
I don't know if that's as attractive as it sounds.

Last weekend I met a woman with whom I had a fling many years ago. She's become fat and middle aged.

Of course I have too, but in my memory she would have been forever young and bouncy.
Old 09-19-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter...combined with Google search and as a last resort, LinkedIn

You have a first name, occupation, and location. Should be really easy to find this person.
That won't creep her out at all or lead to a restraining order. He had his chance and blew it, it's too late now.
Old 09-19-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did you guys see the movie Rush? Apparently that driver James Hunt picked up dozens of women at hotels.

Rush only hints at race car driver James Hunt's exploits

http://nypost.com/2013/09/14/rush-hints-driver-james-hunt-exploits/

And then there were the women. Legend has it he bagged some 5,000 babes in his lifetime — occasionally two or three at a time. He wore a patch on his racing coveralls that read “Sex: Breakfast of Champions.”

“James’ view would have been ‘It’s the quantity rather than the quality,’ ” driver Chris Witty says in “Memories of James Hunt.” “I think it was important for his personal ego rather than for what the world thought of him.”

In Japan, Hunt reportedly loved staying at the Tokyo Hilton because that’s where all the British Airways flight attendants were housed. He would meet them at the reception desk and invite them up to his room for a party.
Old 09-19-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
PS -- I'm disappointed there have been no jokes about dipping her French fries in my ice cream, although that is backwards I suppose.
Sorry, just clicked on this thread, but that is exactly what she wanted to do which is why she asked the question.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.